PDA

View Full Version : Powerful 3rd lv characters?

Splendor
2010-02-09, 01:17 AM
Me and a friend are playing through the adventures found in Mysteries of the Moonsea book. Our DM (who is kinda new DM, but has been playing with us for years) is getting aggravated and seems to think we're just breezing through the adventures. Now mind you he has taken both of us down in the last 2 sessions.

We are using Flaws & Spell points and were allowed to take 2 regional feats provided both were from the same region (at 1st level).

Since these are city adventures the Face usually start out with Alterself self into a Tren (+8NA) which boosts his AC to 27. And while singing his bonus to hit is +8. (AC +8 NA, +4 Armor, +1 shield from dueling cloak, +1 luck of heros, +3 dex)

The Burnamancer uses burning hands, Scorching ray or Fireburst. But we've run into creatures immune to fire (steam mephit, Xorn) where he was useless (kinda, he still had Magic missile).

Did we just make character that are too powerful? We made them because there are only two of us playing. Or is the DM just being whiny? Was the spell point variant (which we usually play with) what pushed it over the edge?

Character one. The Burnamancer. 4th Lv Evoker INT 18
Bloodline of Fire [Regional] (FEAT) (1st, Regional)
You can cast spells with the [fire] descriptor at +2 Caster level.

Cali****e Elementalist – Fire (FEAT) (human)
+1 Caster Level to Fire Spells
Ignore fire based spell level caps

Evoker Variant –Fire (Substitution) (not a feat, loses familiar)
+1 Caster Level with fire based spells

Elemental Spellcasting (Planar Handbook pg 39) (took with Flaw)
Benefit: You cast spells with the chosen descriptor at +1 Caster Level

He has another feat I just cant remember what it was (took with flaw)

Fiery Burst (Complete Mage p43) (3rd level feat)
d6 fire damage/highest level spell you have memorized. 30' range
+1 bonus to caster level when casting fire spells

Flaw: Hot-Blooded (cold based spells deal +2 damage)
Flaw: Noncombatant (-2 Melee Attacks)

Fire +6 Caster Levels with fire, No Fire Level Caps.

Character Two. The Face. (Bard 4th) Dex 16, Chr 18
Luck of Hero’s (PGF regional 1st level)
+1 saves & AC

Artist (PGF Regional Human)
+3 Bardic music uses, +2 Perform

Nymph’s Kiss (BoED) (took with Flaw)
+2 Chr checks, +1 skill point/lv, +1 vs spell/spell-like

Favored (Cityscape) (took with Flaw)
+2 Perform, earn 2x's when perform for money

Weapon Finesse (PHB) (3rd lv Feat)

Flaw: Poor Reflexes
Flaw: Arcane Parasites

Orran
2010-02-09, 01:48 AM
Your caster level for fire spells is 10? No wonder your DM's annoyed, next level you'll be doing 12d6 scorching rays, and 11d6 fireballs, thats over double your level. Do yourself a favour and take searing spell. Although the seems to have made a high powered game (2 flaws, 2 regional feats free) so perhaps he didn't know what he was getting into and you should tone it down? Perhaps cast a non fire spell to show him how weak they are (comparitively.)

Eldariel
2010-02-09, 01:50 AM
Na, I don't think you're overpowered. Alter Self is the one thing that seems like it could be worrisome; the rest is par de course. I mean, you have a blaster caster; while pimping of the caster level is nice, with 4 bonus feats that's frankly to be expected.

Runestar
2010-02-09, 01:54 AM
Cali****e elementalist does not remove the caps on fire spells altogether, it merely lets its +1caster lv benefit increase the spell's cap by 1.

Doesn't look too bad - I expect the DM to start using more foes with good reflex saves and/or fire resistance. :smallamused:

KellKheraptis
2010-02-09, 01:58 AM
I recommend a level of Sanctified One of Kord ASAP for the pyromancer, and also have to wonder why he singled out the pyro with fire immunes at 3rd level. Reserves of Strength would also be an excellent feat for him, as it will allow him to uncap his blasts, and add 1-3 CL per use (for backlash damage if you're immune to stunning).

Splendor
2010-02-09, 04:28 AM
DM didn't single anyone out. Those monsters are in the little adventures in Mysteries of the Moonsea book.

Ahhh... I and it looks like Cali****e elementalist was read wrong so I'll make sure that gets corrected next game.... Still makes him powerful now, but he'll weaken as we gain levels, and those feats will become less useful.

Hiisi
2010-02-09, 04:37 AM
Are you sure your DM is aggravated because you guys are breezing through combat scenes? Maybe he ment you're supposed be less *kicks in the door* and more "Hi to thee"?

Cicciograna
2010-02-09, 04:47 AM
If I were in the Burnomancer, I'd enjoy the might while I can: as monsters' CR increases, the rate of them which have immunity to fire soars really high. On the first quest against devils he'll be useless.