PDA

View Full Version : (3.5 PrC) Rift Shifter - Freaky feral fighter

itastelikelove
2010-02-09, 04:38 AM
My first homebrew post on the forums - woo!

I made this class as part of a joint world-building project with a friend of mine, and it still has some of the flavor of that setting (the whole dragon theme, for example). If you would like to recommend another flavor, for use in other campaigns, feel free. The idea was to make a shape-shifting class that constantly changes forms while fighting, focusing on mobility and shifting tactics to keep it safe and confuse its foes. I gave it a lot of defensive abilities to fit the fluff and it's role in the setting. It is meant to be entered at level 10 (negotiable, standard set by its original setting), with some relatively crappy feats as entry requirements (negotiable, but it's pretty powerful for the setting it was built for). It is a bit odd, and I'm worried that the paperwork of keeping track of which shapes are available might make it hard to play.

Let me know what you think, balance issues, flavor suggestions, alternate abilities ("Invasion Dragon? what the heck?" ), changes to make it less setting-specific, etc. Thanks for the PEACHes!

The Rift Shifter (Originally Rift Druid)

Rift Shifters are unusual warriors, who train to fight tainted, unnatural enemies by learning their ways, mimicking their fighting styles, and even calling upon their own dark powers to defeat them. Whether they ultimately use their powers for good or ill, they despise, more than anything, the enemies of the Eight Dragons of the Earth. People who glimpse them running or watch them fighting may mistake them for nightmare creatures as dark as those they fight. Some are indeed little better than demons themselves, but they take their fearsome shapes first and foremost to do nature's will and rid the earth of tainted beings. All else comes after.

Hit Die: d10
Skill Points: 4+Int
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble

Requirements
BAB: +7
Feats: ???
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks
Alignment: Any Chaotic
Special: Must have spoken personally with each of the eight Dragons, or their avatars, and received their blessings in your endeavors. (Setting-specific requirement)

Rift Shifter
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|Dragon's Intuition, Dragon Shape, Half Dragon

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Were-Dragon

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Lingering Dragon Shape, Nightmare Dragon

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Spirit Dragon

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Golem Dragon

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+5|Enduring Dragon Essence, Invasion Dragon

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+5|Berserker Dragon

8th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+6|Dervish Dragon

9th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+6|Immediate Dragon Shape, Fundament Dragon

10th|
+7|
+7|
+7|
+7|Double Dragon Shape, Firmament Dragon[/table]

[I]Dragon’s Intuition – You may add your Wis modifier as an insight bonus to your AC, but only when you are wearing no armor. This includes any time you lose your armor by shifting to one of your Dragon Shapes.This bonus is effective even against touch attacks or when you are flat-footed. You lose the benefit of this ability when you are immobilized or helpless.

Dragon Shape – You can take on one of a variety of draconic hybrid forms. You retain all of your usual abilities and appendages, and they function normally. Changing shape is a swift action that provokes no attacks of opportunity. The change lasts until the end of your turn, at which point you return to your base form. After using any shape, you must wait 1d3+1 rounds before using that shape again. Unless otherwise noted, shifting causes your armor to be absorbed into the new form, rendering it useless. You may still use shields, weapons, and other items in any form, and if you have damage reduction in your current dragon shape, your weapons overcome DR of the same type (excluding DR/-), even if they do not normally meet the requirements. You may voluntarily end your Dragon Shape as a Free Action.

Dragon Shape: Half Dragon – When you use your Dragon Shape ability, you may assume the form of a half-dragon. You gain +8 Str, +2 Con, +2 Cha, and +4 natural armor. You also gain wings that allow you to fly at twice your base land speed (average), and a Breath weapon (your choice of energy type, 60 ft line or 30 ft cone) that deals 6d8 damage (Ref 10 + ½ character level + Con). Your teeth and fingernails grow as well, allowing you to make a bite attack as a primary natural weapon (1d8+Str damage), and claws as secondary natural weapons (-5 to hit, 1d6+ ½ Str damage).

Dragon Shape: Were-Dragon – When you use your Dragon Shape ability, you may assume a feral, lupine dragon form. You gain +4 Str, +6 Dex, +6 Con, +2 Wis, and +2 natural armor. Your base land speed increases by 30ft, and you can run on all fours at six times your speed. You also gain the Scent ability, and a Bite attack that deals 1d8+Str damage, and you may make a free trip attack if your bite is successful. You gain DR5/silver.

Dragon Shape: Nightmare Dragon – When you use your Dragon Shape ability, you may assume a terrifying, shadowy dragon form. You gain +6 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +4Cha, and +2 natural armor. You can teleport through shadows (must be large enough for you to enter completely) as far as 120 feet as part of your movement (but not as part of a 5-foot step. When you damage an opponent, the wound continues to bleed for 2 hp each round until they receive magical healing, or a DC15 Heal check. Creatures immune to crits are immune to this extra damage. You also gain DR5/Cold Iron, and Resistance 10 to all energy types

Lingering Dragon Shape – Your Dragon Shapes remain in effect until the start of your next turn.

Dragon Shape: Spirit Dragon – When you use your Dragon Shape ability, you may assume a transparent, ghostly dragon form. You gain etherealness, and a natural touch attack that deals 1d6 cold damage and 1 Str damage. In this form, you retain your armor, and it functions as ghost touch armor.

Dragon Shape: Golem Dragon – When you use your Dragon Shape ability, you may assume a clockwork dragon form. You gain + DR15/Adamantine and SR 25 + ½ your class level. You are immune to crits, stunning, and poisons.

Dragon Shape: Invasion Dragon – When you use your Dragon Shape ability, your shape does not change, but you flood the battlefield with phantom half-dragon soldiers under your command. Your armor functions normally in this form. You gain +6 Int, +6 Wis, and +6 Cha. Every space within 30 ft of you is occupied by an incorporeal half-dragon who responds only to you. The phantoms move when you move. All opponents are flanked against all of your attacks, and when you strike an opponent, they must make a Reflex save (DC = damage you dealt, for half damage) to avoid a breath attack from one of your phantom allies, which deals 1d8 + (your Cha modifier) force damage. The soldiers' shields grant you a +4 cover bonus to AC, and partial concealment (20%). While the phantoms do not physically impede movement, everyone except you must move at ½ speed through the area, due to impaired vision.

Enduring Dragon Essence – When your shape changes, whether voluntarily or not, you retain the traits (but not the shape) of the form you were in at the beginning of your turn for one additional turn. This may allow you to gain the benefits of two shapes at one time. If so, the ability score and natural armor bonuses from the two forms do not stack. Simply use the highest value for each score. Losing your shape may cause you to lose some abilities that are dependent on the physical form of the Dragon Shape. You lose the ability to fly when you lose your Half-Dragon shape, you lose the ability to run on four legs when you lose your Were-Dragon shape, you lose your immunity to crits, etc. when you lose your Dragon Golem shape, you lose your etherealness when you lose your Spirit Dragon shape, and you lose your size bonus when you lose your Berserker Dragon shape (gain +1 to AC and attack rolls and lose the benefits of the size increase, but your bonus to Str remains the same). You retain all other abilities granted by your former shape.

Dragon Shape: Berserker Dragon – When you use your Dragon Shape ability, you may become a massive, draconic brute, and fly into a furious rage. Your intimidating presence dominates the field of battle. Your size increases by one category, and you gain a bonus of +10 Str, +4 Con and +10 Cha, and take a -3 penalty to AC, and attack rolls (for size and raging). You also gain DR 5/-. If you do not have one already, you gain a bite attack that deals 2d6 + your Str modifier damage. You may not use any of the abilities usually prohibited while raging. You are not fatigued after assuming this shape.

Dragon Shape: Dervish Dragon – When you use your Dragon Shape ability, you may become a whirling storm of violence. You gain +2 Str, and +8 Dex. When making a full-attack, you may make one additional attack at your highest base attack bonus (does not stack with similar effects), and you may move 5 feet between each attack (not a 5-ft step). You may Tumble to avoid attacks of opportunity as you move. You gain the benefit of the Cleave feat while in this shape.

Immediate Dragon Shape – You may change your dragon shape as an immediate action instead of a swift action, even after a turn in which you changed shape as a swift action. If you choose to do this, however, you may not change into a new shape during your next turn.

Dragon Shape: Fundament Dragon – When you use your Dragon Shape ability, you embody the eight dragons of the earth, and smite their foes. Your attacks overcome all damage reduction and hardness (except DR/-) and gain the Bane special ability against constructs, undead, outsiders, aberrations, and draconic creatures. You gain DR 10/- and SR 30 + ½ your class level against creatures of those types.

Double Dragon Shape – When you change shape, you may assume a hybrid shape that gives you the full benefit of two Dragon Shapes at once. Ability score and natural armor bonuses do not stack. You may never benefit from more than two shapes at a time, so this cancels the effect of your previous turn's Enduring Dragon. The Double Dragon will Linger until your next turn, but at the beginning of that turn, you must choose which (if any) dragon will Endure. When you use Double Dragon Shape, the two shapes you take have the same waiting period before you can use them again.

Dragon Shape: Firmament Dragon – When you use your Dragon Shape ability, your skin turns the color of a night sky, with points of light shining through from deep inside you, and your senses become attuned to the two dragons of the heavens. You gain Blindsight out to 30 ft and DR5/good or evil, and each round you benefit from this form (including the extra round from Enduring Dragon Shape) you may reroll one saving throw, or force one enemy to reroll one attack roll against you. The second roll is final, even if the result is worse for you.

FlamingKobold
2010-02-09, 12:40 PM
Hit Die: d10
Skill Points: 4+Int
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (religion), Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble

Okay.

Requirements
BAB: +7
Feats: Any 4 of the following – Blind Fighting, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Toughness
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks
Alignment: Any Chaotic
Special: Must have spoken personally with each of the eight Dragons, or their avatars, and received their blessings in your endeavors. (Setting-specific requirement)

What level do you want entrance to happen? I'm looking at this, and I think that Ranger is the only core class that can fulfill the requirements by level 7. But they're pretty feat intensive so it's unlikely. It looks like you chose 8 of the worst fighter feats in the game and put them in one place... :smalleek: Maybe fewer feats if you want people to actually take it in a non-core game?

Also, not sure how hard that special prereq is, but it sounds pretty momentuous.

Rift Shifter
*snip*

Good BAB and 3 good saves? :smallconfused: ARe the class abilties that subpar? We'll see, as this could be warranted or not (See: Monk.)

Dragon’s Intuition

Pretty powerful ability, but since it appears that you desire a martial entry (High BAB prereq, 4 fighter feats, no spellcasting advancement), you should be good. Except when a monk takes this class and starts rocking out with 2x wisdom to AC. You should change the wording, because as is it sounds like you are immobilized or helpless any time you lose your armor from dragon shape.

Dragon Shape – You can take on one of a variety of draconic forms. Changing shape is a swift action that provokes no attacks of opportunity. The change lasts until the end of your turn, at which point you return to your base form.

Interesting mechanics. I like the changing shape for only one turn, though watching a battle like this would be weird. Problem: If the form ends at the end of your turn, the natural armor and damage reduction don’t do anything except protect against attacks of opportunity… Not awesome. I also assume that you don’t change size? You should clear that up.

After using a shape, you must wait 1d3+1 rounds before using it again.
So at low levels you aren’t doing much, but by about level 3 you’re shifting every round?

With the exception of a few forms, shifting causes your armor to be absorbed into the new form, rendering it useless.
Say: “Unless otherwise noted, shifting causes your armor to be absorbed into the new form, rendering it useless.” Much better.

You may still use shields, weapons, and other items in any form,
Wait… I hope I’m not the only having trouble imagining a shadow dragon wielding a sword and board… Maybe you were going for a more hybrid form? That would make more sense, I think…

and if you have damage reduction in your current dragon shape, your weapons overcome DR of the same type (excluding DR/-), even if they do not normally meet the requirements. You may voluntarily end your Dragon Shape as a Free Action.

Okay. Looks decent.

I’m kind of on a time crunch right now, so I don’t have time to individually analyze every dragon shape, but a few things at first glance.

I know it’s obvious, but you should explicitly say that the ability you get at each level is a form for dragon shape and not a continuous effect. As is, at fist level you “Assume the form of a half-dragon.” Doing it like wildshape, e.g. “Dragon Shape – Shadow Dragon.” would help a lot.

All in all, good for a first class, I like the fluff and welcome to the boards!

itastelikelove
2010-02-09, 02:37 PM
What level do you want entrance to happen? I'm looking at this, and I think that Ranger is the only core class that can fulfill the requirements by level 7. But they're pretty feat intensive so it's unlikely. It looks like you chose 8 of the worst fighter feats in the game and put them in one place... :smalleek: Maybe fewer feats if you want people to actually take it in a non-core game?

I originally meant for the class to be entered at level 9 or 10 - hence the combination of +7 BAB and 6 ranks in Knowledge (Religion). I can't think of any classes off the top of my head that have both a full BAB and Knowledge (Religion) - although I suppose there are some ways to add class skills to your list. 9-10 might be a little higher than necessary: it is a very special class for the world it's in (a slightly lower-power setting), but I would like to make it compatible with other settings.

And the Feat selection was deliberately bad, because I thought the class might be a bit overpowered with some feat combinations. I'm thinking of reducing it to two or three feats required, but I have never been able to decide which are the most appropriate.

As for the special prereq, it mostly involves a lot of pilgrimages, and not so much epic questing. The Eight Dragons of the Earth (the sum total of divine beings for the setting, not counting the two Dragons of Heaven - but they're a special case anyway) have a strict non-interference policy, but they accept visitors (or make their avatars do it) when they're in a good mood. So, mostly just fluff, and to make it clear story-wise that it's not for everyone.

Good BAB and 3 good saves? ARe the class abilties that subpar? We'll see, as this could be warranted or not (See: Monk.)

Yeah, I figured that would get some comments. I'll drop the BAB to Medium. It was really only Good because it's a mostly melee class, but Monks and Rogues get only Medium BAB, so that's fine.

The high saves really fit the concept, though - they're meant to be the bane of aberrations, outsiders, undead, demons, dragonkin and the like, who all have at least some form of special attack that forces Saves. I'd like to keep them, unless they're way over the top.

Pretty powerful ability, but since it appears that you desire a martial entry (High BAB prereq, 4 fighter feats, no spellcasting advancement), you should be good. Except when a monk takes this class and starts rocking out with 2x wisdom to AC. You should change the wording, because as is it sounds like you are immobilized or helpless any time you lose your armor from dragon shape.

Yeah, I'll fix the wording on that immobilized/helpless bit. Plus, I thought the Monk bonus was insight, and wouldn't stack - turns out it's untyped and would stack. My bad. On the other hand, maybe monks could use the extra boost...

Interesting mechanics. I like the changing shape for only one turn, though watching a battle like this would be weird. Problem: If the form ends at the end of your turn, the natural armor and damage reduction don’t do anything except protect against attacks of opportunity… Not awesome. I also assume that you don’t change size? You should clear that up.

Right, the natural armor and DR don't help...until you reach level 3, and get Lingering Dragon Shape - then you get to keep the Shape until the start of your next turn. One shape (Berserker) does change size. I wanted it to have all of the benefits of growth without actually changing size, but it got too confusing. Let me know if you can think of a way to write that out, or if you think the size increase is a good thing.

So at low levels you aren’t doing much, but by about level 3 you’re shifting every round?

I think it came out a bit confusing. Originally, I wanted it on a maximum five-round cycle: one on, up to four off, then on again. So you wouldn't be guaranteed a form each round until level 5. I think I should probably make that lower, maybe even a flat number?

Say: “Unless otherwise noted, shifting causes your armor to be absorbed into the new form, rendering it useless.” Much better.

Alright, thanks.

Wait… I hope I’m not the only having trouble imagining a shadow dragon wielding a sword and board… Maybe you were going for a more hybrid form? That would make more sense, I think…

Yeah, I was going for a hybrid form. I'll make that a bit more clear.

Okay. Looks decent.

I’m kind of on a time crunch right now, so I don’t have time to individually analyze every dragon shape, but a few things at first glance.

I know it’s obvious, but you should explicitly say that the ability you get at each level is a form for dragon shape and not a continuous effect. As is, at fist level you “Assume the form of a half-dragon.” Doing it like wildshape, e.g. “Dragon Shape – Shadow Dragon.” would help a lot.

All in all, good for a first class, I like the fluff and welcome to the boards!

Thanks!

Kaishi
2010-02-09, 07:52 PM
This seems like something straight out of Breath of Fire IV. I like the thought of a constantly changing creature. I agree with the above, though. It'd just look weird watching a humanoid (or any other type of creature) transforming into something every six seconds.

Another thing that bugs me is that I don't see how shape changing would affect his mental abilities. The creature, after all, should remain pretty much the same, save for its physical body. How does shape changing make them wiser or smarter? Maybe I'm just picky about flavor.

As for the three good saves, if you want the class to be specifically good against those monsters, you can reconfigure the saves and give them a bonus to saves against creatures of those types.

One shape (Berserker) does change size. I wanted it to have all of the benefits of growth without actually changing size, but it got too confusing. Let me know if you can think of a way to write that out, or if you think the size increase is a good thing.

You can fix this the same way goliaths were made.

Powerful Build – treated as one-size larger with
regards to Bull Rush, Trip, Grapple, etc., and may
use weapons designed for creatures on size larger.

The only other thing I have to say about it is the prereq stuff. A Dragonfire Adept could take this class fairly easily except for the BaB requirement, and Dragon Shaman could take this class at level 10 except for the knowledge requirements. What classes are ideal for this prestige? Is it just for general entry?

Siosilvar
2010-02-09, 08:52 PM
I originally meant for the class to be entered at level 9 or 10 - hence the combination of +7 BAB and 6 ranks in Knowledge (Religion). I can't think of any classes off the top of my head that have both a full BAB and Knowledge (Religion)

Paladin .

DragoonWraith
2010-02-09, 09:08 PM
And the Feat selection was deliberately bad, because I thought the class might be a bit overpowered with some feat combinations. I'm thinking of reducing it to two or three feats required, but I have never been able to decide which are the most appropriate.
I don't really like that approach, personally. I mean, it might be overpowered, so to compensate you strip the player of the ability to customize it? Doesn't seem like a great plan.

The high saves really fit the concept, though - they're meant to be the bane of aberrations, outsiders, undead, demons, dragonkin and the like, who all have at least some form of special attack that forces Saves. I'd like to keep them, unless they're way over the top.
An alternative (which may or may not be necessary, just saying) might be to give a Paladin-esque "Ability modifier to all saves" type thing.

FlamingKobold
2010-02-09, 10:12 PM
Paladin .

Note the "Any chaotic" Alignment restriction. Though a Paladin of freedom or slaughter would be quite convenient (I think those are the CG and CE, anyway.)

itastelikelove
2010-02-09, 10:28 PM
Paladin .

Huh. Well. I looked, and I swear it wasn't there...Sure is now, though. Ain't that embarrassing. :smallredface: But it's Chaotic-only, so no standard paladins anyway.

I don't really like that approach, personally. I mean, it might be overpowered, so to compensate you strip the player of the ability to customize it? Doesn't seem like a great plan.

Y'know what? I agree with that completely. I really dislike classes that only allow one good build, I don't know how I didn't catch myself making that same mistake. I'll gladly fix it, but...should I have any feats as part of the requirements, and if so, which ones?

An alternative (which may or may not be necessary, just saying) might be to give a Paladin-esque "Ability modifier to all saves" type thing.

Also a good idea, and I'll consider it...but it amounts to pretty much the same thing, and has more potential for cheese abuse. Despite the reaction people have to seeing three good saves, adding an extra stat to each is probably a good deal more powerful, since a good save is two points higher at first level and four points higher at 10th, and it should be pretty easy to get better than a +4 on one stat by the time you reach 10th level in a PrC.

itastelikelove
2010-02-09, 10:36 PM
Note the "Any chaotic" Alignment restriction. Though a Paladin of freedom or slaughter would be quite convenient (I think those are the CG and CE, anyway.)

Yeah, there are those, i guess...

But maybe level 7 or 8 isn't such a bad time to get access to the class...I mean, Frenzied Berserkers get started around then, and they have a better damage output, if not so many utility abilities.

Whattaya think, everybody? level 7 to qualify? 10? Some other number?