PDA

View Full Version : The color career counselor

pendell
2010-02-09, 08:07 AM
link (http://www.careerpath.com/career-tests/colorcareercounselor.aspx)

I'm a bit skeptical of the science, but they pegged me well enough.

Best Occupational Category
You're a CREATOR
Keywords

Nonconforming, Impulsive, Expressive, Romantic, Intuitive, Sensitive, and Emotional

These original types place a high value on aesthetic qualities and have a great need for self-expression. They enjoy working independently, being creative, using their imagination, and constantly learning something new. Fields of interest are art, drama, music, and writing or places where they can express, assemble, or implement creative ideas.

CREATOR OCCUPATIONS
Suggested careers are Advertising Executive, Architect, Web Designer, Creative Director, Public Relations, Fine or Commercial Artist, Interior Decorator, Lawyer, Librarian, Musician, Reporter, Art Teacher, Broadcaster, Technical Writer, English Teacher, Architect, Photographer, Medical Illustrator, Corporate Trainer, Author, Editor, Landscape Architect, Exhibit Builder, and Package Designer.

CREATOR WORKPLACES
Consider workplaces where you can create and improve beauty and aesthetic qualities. Unstructured, flexible organizations that allow self-expression work best with your free-spirited nature.

Suggested Creator workplaces are advertising, public relations, and interior decorating firms; artistic studios, theaters and concert halls; institutions that teach crafts, universities, music, and dance schools. Other workplaces to consider are art institutes, museums, libraries, and galleries.

2nd Best Occupational Category
You're a RESEARCHER
Keywords:

Independent, Self-Motivated, Reserved, Introspective, Analytical, and Curious

These investigative types gather information, analyze and interpret data, and inquire to uncover new facts. They have a strong scientific orientation, enjoy academic or research environments and prefer self-reliant jobs. Dislikes are group projects, selling, and repetitive activities.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Serpentine
2010-02-09, 08:24 AM
You're an ORGANIZER
Keywords

Self-Control, Practical, Self-Contained, Orderly, Systematic, Precise, and Accurate

These conservative appearing, plotting-types enjoy organizing, data systems, accounting, detail, and accuracy. They often enjoy mathematics and data management activities such as accounting and investment management. Persistence and patience allows them to do detailed paperwork, operate office machines, write business reports, and make charts and graphs.

ORGANIZER CAREERS
Suggested careers are Administrator, Secretary, Printer, Paralegal, Building Inspector, Bank Cashier, Private Secretary, Statistician, Operations Manager, Financial Analyst, Bookkeeper, Medical Records Technician, Developer of Business or Computer Systems, Clerical Worker, Proofreader, Accountant, Administrative Assistant, Banker, Certified Public Accountant, Credit Manager, Store Salesperson, Actuary, Dental Assistant, Business Education Teacher, Food Service Manager, IRS Agent, Budget Analyst, and Underwriter.

ORGANIZER WORKPLACES
Your very careful, conscientious, conservative nature gives others the confidence to trust you with handling money and material possessions. Structured organizations that have well-ordered chains of command work best for you.

Suggested Organizer workplaces are large corporations, business offices, financial lending institutions, banks, insurance companies, accounting firms, and quality control and inspection departments.Er... No. No way in Hell. There is not a single job in that list that I would be the least bit interested in. Not a single one. In fact, I don't think I could imagine a more boring* list of occupations**. Wow.

*Dull! Dull! Dull! Dull! Oh so dreadfully DULL!

**No offense intended to anyone who is in one of these occupations. I know they're great for other people, they just don't interest me in the least.

Freshmeat
2010-02-09, 08:25 AM
You're an ORGANIZER
Keywords

Self-Control, Practical, Self-Contained, Orderly, Systematic, Precise, and Accurate

These conservative appearing, plotting-types enjoy organizing, data systems, accounting, detail, and accuracy. They often enjoy mathematics and data management activities such as accounting and investment management. Persistence and patience allows them to do detailed paperwork, operate office machines, write business reports, and make charts and graphs.

ORGANIZER CAREERS
Suggested careers are Administrator, Secretary, Printer, Paralegal, Building Inspector, Bank Cashier, Private Secretary, Statistician, Operations Manager, Financial Analyst, Bookkeeper, Medical Records Technician, Developer of Business or Computer Systems, Clerical Worker, Proofreader, Accountant, Administrative Assistant, Banker, Certified Public Accountant, Credit Manager, Store Salesperson, Actuary, Dental Assistant, Business Education Teacher, Food Service Manager, IRS Agent, Budget Analyst, and Underwriter.

ORGANIZER WORKPLACES
Your very careful, conscientious, conservative nature gives others the confidence to trust you with handling money and material possessions. Structured organizations that have well-ordered chains of command work best for you.

Suggested Organizer workplaces are large corporations, business offices, financial lending institutions, banks, insurance companies, accounting firms, and quality control and inspection departments.

You're a DOER
Keywords:

Emotionally Stable, Reliable, High Energy, Practical, Thrifty, and Persistent

These adventurous types prefer action-oriented, concrete problems rather than dealing with thought-provoking, ambiguous, abstract dilemmas. Fields of interest include mechanical, construction, and outdoor careers. They might also enjoy working with machines, tools, and equipment to repair or build something.

The first category seems relatively accurate... up to the part where it implies I'm conservative and conscientious. The keywords of the second category sound okayish, but their interpretation is entirely and completely off-base. To be honest, pendell's categories apply fairly well on me too, so I'm not lending this test much weight. I'm kind of surprised I didn't get researcher. Guess I like colours that researchers aren't supposed to like.

But then just about all psycho-analysis tests give me wrong results anyway.

pendell
2010-02-09, 08:27 AM
Er... No. No way in Hell. There is not a single job in that list that I would be the least bit interested in. Not a single one. In fact, I don't think I could imagine a more boring* list of occupations**. Wow.

*Dull! Dull! Dull! Dull! Oh so dreadfully DULL!

**No offense intended to anyone who is in one of these occupations. I know they're great for other people, they just don't interest me in the least.

So what does interest you, if I may be so bold?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Serpentine
2010-02-09, 08:30 AM
Oh hey, I didn't realise there was a "2nd Best".

You're a RESEARCHER
Keywords:

These investigative types gather information, analyze and interpret data, and inquire to uncover new facts. They have a strong scientific orientation, enjoy academic or research environments and prefer self-reliant jobs. Dislikes are group projects, selling, and repetitive activities. Well that's much better.

Pendell: Interestingly, just about everything except those.

wxdruid
2010-02-09, 08:40 AM
You're a CREATOR
Keywords

Nonconforming, Impulsive, Expressive, Romantic, Intuitive, Sensitive, and Emotional

These original types place a high value on aesthetic qualities and have a great need for self-expression. They enjoy working independently, being creative, using their imagination, and constantly learning something new. Fields of interest are art, drama, music, and writing or places where they can express, assemble, or implement creative ideas.

CREATOR OCCUPATIONS
Suggested careers are Advertising Executive, Architect, Web Designer, Creative Director, Public Relations, Fine or Commercial Artist, Interior Decorator, Lawyer, Librarian, Musician, Reporter, Art Teacher, Broadcaster, Technical Writer, English Teacher, Architect, Photographer, Medical Illustrator, Corporate Trainer, Author, Editor, Landscape Architect, Exhibit Builder, and Package Designer.

CREATOR WORKPLACES
Consider workplaces where you can create and improve beauty and aesthetic qualities. Unstructured, flexible organizations that allow self-expression work best with your free-spirited nature.

Suggested Creator workplaces are advertising, public relations, and interior decorating firms; artistic studios, theaters and concert halls; institutions that teach crafts, universities, music, and dance schools. Other workplaces to consider are art institutes, museums, libraries, and galleries

You're a SOCIAL MANAGER
Keywords:
Tactful, Cooperative, Generous, Understanding, Insightful, Friendly, and Cheerful
This very social type enjoys working in groups, sharing responsibilities, and being the center of attention. Fields of interest are instructing, helping, nurturing, care giving and instructing-especially young people. They discuss and consider feelings in order to solve problems, lead, direct, persuade, guide, organize and enlighten others. Well, I think that was rather interesting, since I work in none of those things and instead pursued a career in the military and in weather...

rakkoon
2010-02-09, 09:51 AM
You're a CREATOR
Keywords

CREATOR OCCUPATIONS

CREATOR WORKPLACES

Suggested Creator workplaces are advertising, public relations, and interior decorating firms; artistic studios, theaters and concert halls; institutions that teach crafts, universities, music, and dance schools. Other workplaces to consider are art institutes, museums, libraries, and galleries.

Okay, I studied for one of those, am one of those and enjoy being two of those in my free time. That is kinda scary....

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-09, 10:05 AM
You're a CREATOR
Keywords

CREATOR OCCUPATIONS

CREATOR WORKPLACES

You're a PERSUADER
Keywords:

Witty, Competitive, Sociable, Talkative, Ambitious, Argumentative, and Aggressive

These enterprising types sell, persuade, and lead others. Positions of leadership, power, and status are usually their ultimate goal. Persuasive people like to take financial and interpersonal risks and to participate in competitive activities. They enjoy working with others inside organizations to accomplish goals and achieve economic success.
Perhaps.

Syka
2010-02-09, 11:07 AM
You're an ORGANIZER
Keywords

ORGANIZER CAREERS

ORGANIZER WORKPLACES

Suggested Organizer workplaces are large corporations, business offices, financial lending institutions, banks, insurance companies, accounting firms, and quality control and inspection departments.

You're a DOER
Keywords:

These adventurous types prefer action-oriented, concrete problems rather than dealing with thought-provoking, ambiguous, abstract dilemmas. Fields of interest include mechanical, construction, and outdoor careers. They might also enjoy working with machines, tools, and equipment to repair or build something.

This is actually a "Aw, Hell NO!" for me. :smallbiggrin: I mean, the keywords they got are fairly accurate, but for a few. However, the careers listed? Um, no thanks.

I might be getting my MBA, but so far the only 'aspect' that has intrigued me is entreupernuership and marketing. I'm taking Managerial Economics and Financial Management right now and loathe them. I already know that if I end up with a large corporation, I will be unhappy. I'd much prefer an NGO or a small business. Like, I can do accounting and all and if I did it for an NGO or small business I might actually enjoy what I'm doing. But corporation? Not flying. There are very few corporations I could see myself working for. I mean, I could see myself working in a business sense like some of the stuff they mentioned, but it's not my passion in the least (I think their teaching suggestion was the closest).

The second choice's keywords are also fairly accurate, but once again the suggested careers are way off base.

If you're curious what I want to do- I either want to be a film producer or work with a Non-Profit, probably a human or animals rights organization. That or- teach or write. Those two are much less likely than the first two.

Istari
2010-02-09, 11:53 AM
You're a CREATOR
Keywords

CREATOR OCCUPATIONS

CREATOR WORKPLACES

You're a SOCIAL MANAGER
Keywords:

Tactful, Cooperative, Generous, Understanding, Insightful, Friendly, and Cheerful

This very social type enjoys working in groups, sharing responsibilities, and being the center of attention. Fields of interest are instructing, helping, nurturing, care giving and instructing-especially young people. They discuss and consider feelings in order to solve problems, lead, direct, persuade, guide, organize and enlighten others.

The second one I am a bit the the first is way off

V for Victory
2010-02-09, 12:09 PM
You're a RESEARCHER
Keywords

e investigative types gather information, analyze and interpret data, and inquire to uncover new facts. They have a strong scientific orientation, enjoy academic or research environments and prefer self-reliant jobs. Dislikes are group projects, selling, and repetitive activities.

RESEARCHER OCCUPATIONS
Suggested careers are College Professor, Physician, Psychologist, Pharmacist, Chemist, Marketing Research, Inventor, Sales Forecasting, Project Engineer, Dentist, Identifying Consumer Demand, Chiropractor, Dentist, Medical Technician, Optometrist, Research & Development Manager, Respiratory Therapist, Real Estate Appraiser, Chiropractor, Veterinarian, Geologist, Physicist, Science Teacher, Medical Technologist, and Author of Technical Books.

RESEARCHER WORKPLACES
Task-oriented careers where you can become absorbed in the job, be original and creative, and not conform to rigid company rules will work best for you. Unstructured organizations, for example, that allow you to sail your own ship are vital.

Suggested Researcher workplaces are universities and colleges, home office positions, medical facilities, computer-related industries, scientific foundations and think tanks, research firms, and design laboratories.

They got me down, I bolded the ones I liked

cycoris
2010-02-09, 12:19 PM
You're a DOER
Keywords

DOER OCCUPATIONS
Suggested occupations are Engineer, Auto or Aviation Mechanic, Telephone Technician, Emergency Room Supervisor, Gardener or Groundskeeper, Plumber, Police Officer, Criminal Investigator, Rancher, Electrician, Forester, Machinist, Flight Attendant, Radiology Technologist, Vocational Agriculture Teacher, Industrial Arts Teacher, Building Contractor, Software Technician, Horticulture Worker, Professional Athlete or Dancer, Military Officer, and Cabinetmaker.

DOER WORKPLACES
Consider action-oriented workplaces such as the construction, mining, and energy industries where physical risks could be present, but constant pressure to change or accept new procedures or ideas is not. Consider small towns or rural communities. And avoid workplaces that force you to be the center of attention or talk about yourself.

Suggested Doer workplaces are manufacturing or industrial firms with tangible products such as aviation, trucking, local transit, engineering, and technical firms. Organizations structured with clearly drawn lines of authority, for example the armed forces, enforcement agencies, and security protection occupations will work best for you.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA...hahahaha...hahahaha....

No.

I might be thrifty. But everything else? So way off. :smallconfused:

Second best was researcher, which sounds much more like me.

Apparently I just like the wrong colours. :smallfrown:

No one ever told me that I was going to have to make career choices based on my aesthetic preferences...

Mando Knight
2010-02-09, 12:30 PM
Apparently I just like the wrong colours. :smallfrown:

No one ever told me that I was going to have to make career choices based on my aesthetic preferences...

Ah... yeah... I really don't understand how this thing figured anything out at all.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-02-09, 12:42 PM
I'm an organizer? I'm sorry, but I stopped reading after that. To give an example of how much NOT an organizer I am - my archive of important financial documents (like my tax return assessments and CC statements) is a stack of papers randomly piled up on top of one another on my desk (and behind my monitor so they're not in the way).

Along with a bunch of random pieces of paper such as notes that go all the way back to my first year.

randman22222
2010-02-09, 12:47 PM
You're a CREATOR
Keywords

CREATOR OCCUPATIONS

CREATOR WORKPLACES

You're a RESEARCHER
Keywords:

These investigative types gather information, analyze and interpret data, and inquire to uncover new facts. They have a strong scientific orientation, enjoy academic or research environments and prefer self-reliant jobs. Dislikes are group projects, selling, and repetitive activities.

Errr... It's lacking. It gets some things right, some things wrong, and leaves some things.

Seeing that the number of people dissatisfied with their results, or ambivalent like me, I think it's clear this test is fairly invalid.

We seem to enjoy these things here, don't we?

I've also wondered... Is the nerd's version of "Hey babe, what's your sign? I bet you're a Libra," "Hey, let's talk about our Meyer-Briggs personality types or <insert other personality test here"? :smalltongue: