PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cleric or something

DraconicPaladin
2010-02-09, 08:18 AM
So I'm making a level 3 character, Role; I have no idea, "we" are used to having a Front line fighter (filled, twice), trap disabler and lock opener, magic user (filled) and lastly... sigh, Healer (pukes). So I'm expected to play cleric or druid but I can never seem to come up with a solid build for em' so I must plea for your help.

I had in mind something based around winterwolves (was hoping to play sorcerer or barbarian) but now not so sure. Summoner druid looks ok but I hate micro managing... and well thats all the comes to mind really.

Most books available (complete, races, few misc.)

Optimystik
2010-02-09, 08:24 AM
The Cleric Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0)

The Druid Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0)

And for good measure, The Archivist Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3545.0), which can combine both classes.

You're welcome.

P.S.: If you must be healer, use the vigor line, don't waste your actions on cure spells.

DraconicPaladin
2010-02-09, 08:31 AM
Hmmm, vigor wand might be a good idea.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-09, 11:50 AM
Guide to healing. It's worked wonders for me.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1121.0

Don't be a chump and let them take advantage of you. Take the healing and commerce domains. If anyone gets too needy, charge them.

Kol Korran
2010-02-09, 01:04 PM
if you guys are ok with healing moslty (or all) out of combat, than a wand (or several. take several) wands of Lesser Vigor can work splendidly. one of my group once had the warlock as it's healer, with said wands. just be sure that the DM leaves you time to heal between battles (60 hp is 6 minutes. might be problematic in a stressfull time limited situation.

if you are going to be a cleric druid (and if a major part of the role is healing make it a cleric) i still recommend the wands, just so you can save your spells for other things if possible. save the actuall cure spells for when a character needs to get up FAST (the mage went down). also, i suggest to invest in a rod (or lesser rod) of empower or maximize, though that is a hefty expenditure.

just to note- i play a cleric, and i heal, even in combat at times. pick your spells wisely and you'll still have plenty to do providing your group aren't playing like chumps.

Kol.

lsfreak
2010-02-09, 01:08 PM
also, i suggest to invest in a rod (or lesser rod) of empower or maximize, though that is a hefty expenditure.

Armbands of Maximized Healing from MIC, 7200gp 3/day. Hell of a lot cheaper than a rod, and works on healing spells up to 6th level.

Emmerask
2010-02-09, 01:10 PM
You could also play a spirit shaman if you want something other then cleric or druid.
Handbook here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19865442/The_Spirit_Shaman_Handbook

JeenLeen
2010-02-09, 01:12 PM
I found that the Cure line of spells were useful at low levels, slowly becoming useless as the party gains more HP and enemies deal more damage. Once you get high enough level to use Heal, that is useful and worth preparing. (The Combat Medic PrC from Heroes of Battle lets you spontaneously cast Heal, which is very useful. My DM also houseruled that the benefits from Radiant Servant of Pelor effected Heal spells; maybe yours would, too.)

With how low wealth is at level 3, I would recommend having your character ask the others in the party for help in paying for the wands. In my group, we counted things such as healing wands, diamonds for resurrection spells, buff spell material components, and other such 'shared things' as something the entire party owned, even if the caster carried them.

It's not an awful idea at that level for each character to carry a healing potion, though. Although wands are cheaper per charge, it's good for each to have a means to heal if they need it and you can't reach them. Or a Belt of Healing, once it can be afforded (and if DM allows a lot.)

Gnaeus
2010-02-09, 01:14 PM
Note: It is fine to play a divine caster that does not heal, or does not heal in combat. It works much better when you inform party mates of this before they need healing. Best is if you tell them in town so that they can make alternate healing arrangements.

With how low wealth is at level 3, I would recommend having your character ask the others in the party for help in paying for the wands. In my group, we counted things such as healing wands, diamonds for resurrection spells, buff spell material components, and other such 'shared things' as something the entire party owned, even if the caster carried them.

It's not an awful idea at that level for each character to carry a healing potion, though. Although wands are cheaper per charge, it's good for each to have a means to heal if they need it and you can't reach them. Or a Belt of Healing, once it can be afforded (and if DM allows a lot.)

Seconded.

randomhero00
2010-02-09, 02:52 PM
Don't forget, there's also a belt of healing (for in combat use, or don't wear it, and use it out of combat) for only about 750g that heals you something like 2d8, 3d8, or 4d8 if you blow all 3 charges (per day item! very very nice at low levels.)

DraconicPaladin
2010-02-10, 03:58 AM
out of nowhere i had the idea of playing a Cleric 1/Swordsage 2, just use wands for healing, and have fun with Shadow hand and Tiger Claw.

Just to let you all know :smalltongue:

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-10, 04:43 AM
out of nowhere i had the idea of playing a Cleric 1/Swordsage 2, just use wands for healing, and have fun with Shadow hand and Tiger Claw.

Oh hai I got thishandbook 4u ^_^

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773.0

Kelb_Panthera
2010-02-10, 05:59 AM

Ruby Knight Vindicator FTW.

DraconicPaladin
2010-02-10, 10:46 AM
RKV doesnt work for me, cause 1. not of wee jas and 2. not going crusader

What does anyone think of Mighty throw maneuver? Trip and throw 10 ft (next to the raging barbarian?) with +4 to attempt.
Also is Claw at the Moon worth it?

Draz74
2010-02-10, 12:39 PM
RKV doesnt work for me, cause 1. not of wee jas and 2. not going crusader
Awww, I was going to suggest skipping the Cleric and just going pure Crusader. Show your group that people besides Divine Casters can still fill the "healer" role. (Psion or Ardent is another great option for that, btw.)

What does anyone think of Mighty throw maneuver? Trip and throw 10 ft (next to the raging barbarian?) with +4 to attempt.
It's a lot of fun to have as an option, at least. I wouldn't build your strategy around it, though, unless you ... build your strategy around it (with Improved Trip and so on).

Also is Claw at the Moon worth it?

It's decent if your Jump check is any good. And since there are very few entry-maneuvers for Tiger Claw, you might as well go with this one unless you wield two weapons (in which case Wolf Fang Strike should be obvious).