PDA

View Full Version : Kobayashi Tarrasque

appending_doom
2010-02-09, 10:12 AM
Verhangnis is the largest city in the world, a thriving metropolis of over a million people and perhaps the closest to a stable nation the world has. It is ruled by its guilds, with the economic powerhouses exercising far more restraint than, say, the druids or, surprisingly, the temples.

Today, however, politics is far from many people's minds, as the people dig their way out of a snowstorm. Many streets are icy and all but the most sheltered areas have foot-deep drifts at least. Those that can afford to are taking it easy, while those that can't are doing their best.

By noon, the day is bright, if still chilly, and the city's activity is reaching what will likely be its heaviest today.

Set up your character's locations and actions. In general, administrative areas are at the city's center, several parks scattered across its outer ring, manufacturing and warehouses to the east, the north holding high-class residential and commercial districts, the south holding the low-class, and the rising middle class in the west.

Barracks and military structures are set in the northern half of the south, formal magical institutions in the south of the northern quarter, and the east of the western, with scholars clustering around these two sectors.

Most temples have at least two setups -- one in the high-class area, and one suitable for the lower classes. Whether that one is in the middle-class (merchant) area or the poor area depends on individual preference.

The city itself is about two miles wide.

Also note the snow. Movement penalties abound!

And yes, I do happen to be bitter about my metropolitan area's reaction to these blizzards. Back up north, they know how to plow within 24 hours of a major snowstorm.
Sorry, /rant.

Aecus
2010-02-09, 11:33 AM
"I am sure you know I am not one for words. However, just think of what my support can offer you. If you simply alter this construction project to avoid disturbing the marsh, then I would easily be able to recoup your losses supplying the raw material at the scene of the construction at literally no cost. It would end up costing you no money, and instead you would gain a very powerful ally." Evaron drones to his companion.

Evaron is an interesting figure. He is a human shaped individual with curled horns and red splotches across his skin. He wears a green robe, and is adorned with many different trinkets. Even more interesting is what he is sitting upon, a rather gigantic spiked turtle. This turtle is resting with its limbs retracted into its shell, and oddly it almost looks in place here in the forest.

Sitting next to Evaron is a representative of the architect's guild. A powerful and influential man, he had accepted Evaron's invitation. This outcome was probably what he desired, or even something more out of the interaction, but he still seemed slightly wide eyed while on top of the turtle. In addition to being slightly cold.

They all are in the woods of a park that Evaron had established on the south side of the city. Above them all trees sway in the wind. The intertwined branches bent and groaned under the weight of the snow. In several places piles of snow fell upon the floor of the wood, where branches were lacking or broken. Several trees were covered in ice. Few examples of wildlife approached where they were sitting, and despite the wind it was eerily quiet.

Edit: Buffs, Edit2: Forgot Some Buffs

Evaron
HP: 126+30
AC: 42, Touch 26, FF, 39

Vosartis
HP: 209+30
AC: 44, Touch 12, FF 44

Evaron uses a rolling buff method of buffing himself. He has many rods of Extend spell, and he uses them to large effect so that he only has to cast half his buffs every day. (When cast, his buffs last till just when he goes to sleep the next day). He is always ready for combat, as he is always being chased by his family, and can easily travel hundreds of miles with a single spell if it comes up to it.

(Enhanced) denotes it was paired with Spell Enhancer for a higher caster level

Cast Yesterday:
Superior Resistance,
Greater Magic Weapon (Enhanced)
Greater Magic Fang (Enhanced, Bite)
Energy Immunityx2 (Fire, Cold)
Greater Mighty Whallop (One side of Quarterstaff)
Heart of Water
Heart of Air

Cast Today:
Greater Magic Fang (+1 All)
Greater Mighty Whallop (Other side of Quarterstaff)
Longstrider (Animal Companion)
Heart of Earth
Enhance Familiar
Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability
Anticipate Teleportation
Greater Mage Armor
Elemental Body (Air)

Since it is midday, Evaron would have cast these spells as well, as they will last till the next day. Both are 10 min/level, and extended. They last 7 hours, and Evaron has two copies of each prepared.

Listening Lorecall
Spider Skin
Halo of Sand

He also has Horn of Plenty, which allows him to cast Heroes Feast (which he did in the morning with a group of people he hoped to influence)

He also has a few longstanding buffs.

Extended Contingency: Resilient Sphere HP <40
On AC, Heal Animal Companion HP <40

Spellstaff (With Heal)

Orran
2010-02-09, 11:43 AM
OOC: Darastrix (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=181076) Takes Kobold Orange as his colour.

Darastrix woke as normal, little had changed since he went to sleep, unsurprising since so little time passed, thanks to his ring. He donned his various mgical equipment and began his daily meditations to regain his spells. Not that he had much use for them right now, this city was the safest he knew of, nevertheless he cast his daily defensive spells.

The kobold was now stood in a library in the western half of town, trying to find an elusive study on the astral plane, it likely held no knew knowledge to him, but he looked nonetheless. Darastrix swished his tail in annoyance as he walked down the aisles, nobody here would start as his appearance, he was for all purposes a young kobold, albeit with platinum tinted scales. Muttering something in draconic, he sounded to many like some kind of hellbred dog. Clearly something understood though, as a small piece of parchment floated out of his belt and into his grasping claws.

"Shelf 872? Seems like each of these aisles is half a mile long." he complained. Pressing the parchment back into his belt, where it seemed to meld with the fabric, Darastrix set off towards shelf 872 at a snails pace.

HP 162/162
AC 20
Active Spells: Mage Armor, Heart of Water (18 hours each)

Ryuuk
2010-02-10, 07:47 AM
Maurit

A thin man wearing a loose black tunic is walking along the roofs of one of the tallest buildings in the city. Another man, this one shivering even behind his large coat and hood, follows behind him. The only things visibly protecting Maurit from the elements were a light cloak and silk headband, yet the cold seemed foreign to him. Even his pace seemed off, instead of standing against his stride, it was as if the snow was opening up before him, trying to flee from his contact.

Maurit was a ghostly pale, with short, greying hair and bags under his eyes. As he walked, it was as if he was trying to loose the man behind him, who was struggleing with every step. At least, it appeared this way until he stopped at the edge of the rooftop and looked on at the white city before him. This sight only kept his interest for a few seconds, before he called back to his companion with a bored tone. "No wonder, the newer constructions at the edge of the city seem to have been drawn out with someone using his feet... The first designers must be turning in their graves, they don´t follow they rules they´d set, they stand out like a pulsating blemish..." He points to the edge of the city, trying to singnal what he meant. "Now tell me, which are yours? Its as if its crying out for me to heal it... They´ll be a start."

A pair of classes took up more time then I thought. I'll have a proper IC post later today. He's currently walking around outside, studying some of the cities architecture and seeing how he can improve it in an upcoming project. Just noting the Buffs he would have active:

Inertial Armor - 36 Hours (Extended, Overchanneled, no damage)
Danger Sense - 36 Hours (Extended, Overchanneled, no damage)
Shared Pain (with psicrystal) - 36 Hours (Extended, Overchanneled, no damage)
Energy Adaptation - 6 Hours (Extended, Overchanneled, Damage)
Freedom of Movement - 6 Hours (Extended, Overchanneled, Damage)

Lets say he activated them when he left his home at 10:00, due to the blizzard. All would be shared with his psicrystal.

A'den
2010-02-10, 12:06 PM
In a tavern crowded with folk sheltering from the snowstorm a courtly man sits strumming his Lute quietly to the a room crowded and full of laughter and conversation though off in the corner the man seems to lack no light. Rolan content with his fame hidden away enjoys a cup of wine and strums a tune apt to the winter weather.

HP 99
AC 22
Take 10 Perform Lute = 43 (Mundane)

appending_doom
2010-02-13, 07:49 AM
Shortly after noon, the relative peace of the city is shattered. A faint tremor passes through Verhangnis, unsettling stacked objects and a few hanging ones. At first, little more seems to have happened, until the frantic ringing of a bell echoes over the city. It seems to come from the eastern gate, and for those who've spent time in Verhangnis know, it is the city's alarm -- the sign of invasion, or other disasters.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Posts are how you're getting to the gate -- if you're going there. Please don't post any reactions or actions until you actually see something. And ignore the rolls behind the curtain!

Aecus
2010-02-13, 07:53 AM
"Let us continue this discussion another time. I think I am needed" Evaron says as he rushes his companion off the back of his turtle. After doing so, Evaron clambers back onto the back of his turtle.

Waking up and coming out of his shell, Evaron's turtle pushes off against the ground in a mighty leap and starts to fly through the air, seeming almost as if to swim through it with great speed as he moves.

My turtle has a 30ft perfect fly speed, they are taking the run action for a few rounds to go diagonally upwards and towards the bell till they see something.

Orran
2010-02-13, 08:15 AM
Hearing the bell, Darastrix angrily puts down the book he had just picked up. "How am I supposed to study with this racket, I'd better go deal with that." and Darastrix slowly makes his way to the exit. Stood outside Darastrix takes some goggles form his belt and puts them on "Thats better, I don't know how the humans deal with suck blinding light, but I'd better speed things up a bit, at this rate I won't get to that infernal rining for days." Darastrix Then casts Repeated Phantom Steed, and through Residual metamagic, another repeated Phantom Steed. While he waits for the 4th steed to appear, he casts chain of eyes, touching one of the steeds he isn't riding.
The 4 steeds and 1 rider then hurtle towards the bell. (240ft per round)

Spells Active:
Mage Armor
Heart of Water
Phantom Steed x4
Chain of Eyes (Allows seeing through phantom steeds eyes as a free action.)

Ryuuk
2010-02-13, 01:00 PM
Maurit

The quake makes Maurit stumble, leaving him looking down over the edge of the roof. He stops himself in time though, and just as he's taking a step back he hears the bells. His first instinct was to let it be, the city seemed large enough to defend itself, and really, he had no business risking his life for it, not right now. Then came a gentle prodding on his neck, the source was a red crystal that adorned his torc and its spider-like leg. It'll either be something inconsequential or something that you'll wish you had an entire cities guard to deal with when you face it. We can't just sit by, we need to go. He unhooks the crystal and stares at it for a moment. Someday you'll get us killed... but you've yet to lead us astray... lets go then.

"We'll continue this later," He taps the crystal and a gold glow shines from its center before he drops next to him, into the snow. Within seconds, a mound of snow begins to bulge out and golden scales can be seen underneath it. Its white blanket doesn't last, and, within seconds, teeth, nails and wings erupt from underneath. A majestic golden dragon, large enough to bear a rider, roars into life. Only its eyes, red and crystalline, betray what it once was. "It was a nice session though, I've got some ideas, I'll let you know in a few days. Now, I'm sure you know the way down from here, I really must be going." With not another word, Maurit and the 'dragon', fly towards the gate, staying high in the air to get an idea of what the alarm is..

Expanded Metamorphosis on my psicrystal to turn it into a Young Gold Dragon (25 Str, 10 Dex, 17 Con, 60ft /120ft poor flight / 60ft swim, 33 AC)

206/269 pp

A'den
2010-02-15, 10:36 AM
Rolan stands from where he had been playing and heads outside, hearing the commotion he heads in the direction of trouble, always a little to quick to stick his head on the chopping block.

Expeditious Retreat
Move Speed 60 Feet
Moving a couple rounds to the source of the commotion.

appending_doom
2010-02-19, 06:18 PM
For those flying, it takes only a few seconds to see the trouble.

It seems, at first, as if the east wall has been covered in some sort of lizards -- it takes a moment to realize, with a heart-stopping shock that a portion of the east wall has been obliterated, and the "wall" you see is a huge reptilian creature covered in a smooth, spiked carapace that glitters like a mirror in the noon-time sun.

For those on the ground, it takes a little longer, for when the beast first smashes a set of buildings to rubble, briefly appearing above the skyline.

Make a Knowledge (arcana) check to determine what you know about this destructive monster.

Orran
2010-02-19, 06:41 PM
Darastrix's Knowledge Arcana: [roll0]

Aecus
2010-02-19, 07:02 PM
[roll0]

I'll be taking this roll for my knowledge devotion feat as well.

Ryuuk
2010-02-19, 07:54 PM
Maurit

High in the air, Maurit watches in stunned silence. Without dropping his gaze until its out, he draws a small tome from his bag and starts looking through it.

Knowledge: Arcane - [roll0] (Using the his Tome of Worldly Memory for +5)

Orran
2010-02-20, 07:40 AM
After taking a brief moment to think back on what beast might be this dangerous, Darastrix flys his phantom steeds closer. Casting a spell en route, the kobold becomes little more than a pillar of air, a ball of water now visible where his heart should be. Stopping his ascent roughly 120 foot in the air, he barks something at one of the horses "Circle round, make sure it's on it's own, don't get too close." which then flies to the other side of the Tarrasque.

The blue glowing heart is mirrored briefly as Darastrix's eyes glow blue, a keen eye would see the horses do the same.

Cast elemental body (Air), move closer to the Tarrasque (120 foot up, 60 foot away if possible.) The order steed with chain of eyes active to fly to the other side of the Tarrasque, and see through it's eyes as a free action to check the surroundings. If for some reason I don't have time for all that, or can't reach, let me know.

Ryuuk
2010-02-21, 11:04 AM
Maurit

With a blank stare, Maurit slowly closes his tome. "This is like some sick joke... Why is this thing...? How the...?" He only falters for a second, he was safe where he was, but the city wouldn't last if this beast was as strong as the legends said. And once it was finished here... "No... Come on, we have to draw it away." He focuses his emotions and mental weakness and locks them away. They would just get in the way.

(If he can see the others in the air.)

It seemed he wasn't alone, at least. He can only hope that the pillar of air was on their side, but he'd at least heard of the turtle hermit. With a thought, the 'dragon' flies to meet him. "You plan to drive this monster away too, right?"

Manifest Mind Blank

193/269 pp

(If he can't see the others in the air.)

Maurit draws closer, but stays high above its reach. There was no way to match it in sheer strength, but maybe with enough numbers... At the very least, he'll give him something to focus on. He buffers his mind and body, this was going to be a huge strain. In an instant, his personal guard, a huge glossy demon, come into existance high above the ground.

Manifest Mind Blank
Manifest a 15pp Vigor, shared
Swift action to Create he personal construct, he loses focus and takes overchannel damage
Move action to regain focus

Overchannel damage: [roll0]
96 + 75 Temp HP - Half the above
48 + 75 Temp HP - Half the above

178/269 pp
883/900 pp in the Psicrown

Construct:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6517/xathriddemon471.jpg

Personal Construct - Level 9 (17pp)
Huge Construct
Hit Dice: 19d10+40 (144 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), 40ft Fly (average)
Armor Class: 41 (+25 natural, +8 Deflection, –2 size), T 16, FF 41
Bab/Grapple: +16/+40
Attack: Claws +30 melee (2d6+23)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +30 melee (2d6+23) -> Rend (2d6+27)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Spe Attacks: Rend
Spe Qualities: 4C, 2B, Blindsight 60ft, construct traits, damage reduction 15/magic, darkvision 60 ft., lowlight vision
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 47, Dex 11, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 10

Menu: Blindsight, Extra Brawn, Rend, Extreme Deflection, Improved Flight, Muscle

Even if Maurit can see the others, this'll be my first action once we engage it.[spoiler]

Aecus
2010-02-21, 04:02 PM
Leaning over the side of his turtle, Evaron gazes at the beast in front of him. Not bothering to turn towards whoever was addressing him, Evaron replies. "I could not live with myself if I did not. Quickly, I need an answer, if you are to join me in combating it would you rather have it blinded, occupied with another giant animal, or assaulted with a fierce opposition?"

As he rushes out these words Evaron's turtle lets loose a low moan as it starts to move closer to the beast, though not yet within its range.

Initiative:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ryuuk
2010-02-21, 04:17 PM
Maurit

"Right... I'll give it a foe to occupy it, blind it only after we draw its attention away from the city. Otherwise, it'll just do more damage thrashing about aimlessly."

Initiative [roll0] (His constructs and psicrystal should be acting on his initiative anyway)

The 'dragon' will fly past the turtle and Maurit will do the ''Vigor-Astral Construct-Regain focus'' outlined above.

Orran
2010-02-21, 05:08 PM
Darastrix's Initiative (with nerveskitter) [roll0]

(I'll update this post with round 1 actions once initiative etc is sorted.)

A'den
2010-02-22, 10:41 AM
Rolan can only hear the ourtcry and roar of destruction from where he is but as he rounds a corner of a street a low hill throws his eye into view of the monstrosity ripping the wall apart.

Bardic Knowledge: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1]

appending_doom
2010-02-23, 09:23 AM
Spying the creatures flying around it, the Tarrasque lets out a bellow, and moves to climb atop the nearest building, one of several stone warehouses.

Climb: [roll0]

Initiative: [roll1]

Orran
2010-02-23, 09:58 AM
Darastrix Laughs from atop his phantom steed. Eyeing up the creature below him, he casts 2 spells in quick succession, the first has no noticeable effect, but the second releases a ray of negative energy towards the beast, which flies 70ft downwards.

Seeing the ray impact the kobold smiles, although it woulb be difficult to tell considering he currently looks like a pillar of air. "Thus concludes my tests of your defensive powers, now show me your offensive ones."
Move: Fly phantom steed down to 70ft above the tarrasque. (If needed to get within range)
Free: Draw wand of assay spell resistance as part of move action.
Swift: Cast assay spell resistance from wand.
Standard: Cast enervation.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (<30 reflects)
[roll3]

A'den
2010-02-23, 11:12 AM
Rolan is shocked for a moment by the nature of the beast and the two defenders swirling around it, he can't imagine how it ended up here but he knew he had the skills to at least help the two magic users dueling against the dread beast. With it right on top of the city there was no question about letting it devour its fill and go back to sleep that was out of the question.

"Lift Off!"

Speaking the Command Word for his boots, wings sprouted from them and Rolan took to flight like his ancestors of old.

Standard: Activate Winged Boots
Move: Fly Up 30 Feet

Aecus
2010-02-23, 04:38 PM
"Then so be it, assault it is." Evaron says. Reaching into his backpack, Evaron pulls out a large club, which is quickly snapped up in the mouth of his turtle. Even as the two rise slightly further into the air away from the Tarrasque, Evaron starts to mutter arcane words of power.

The flesh of the two beings seems to meld and transmogrify, and it is no longer a man riding a turtle, but rather two large grotesque looking beings, indistinguishable except for one is holding a staff, and the other is holding a club.

Evaron delays his initiative so that he and Vosartis act at the same time.

Move action pull out a large greatclub from my haversack, simulataneously Vosartis takes the club from Evaron and starts ascending a bit further into the air, within charge range but farther away from the Tarrasque.

Evaron then casts Draconic Polymorph and shares it with Vosartis, into a War Troll.

Ryuuk
2010-02-27, 10:01 AM
Maurit

Maurits guard stands tall with a sinister smile. He knew it wouldn't last long against this thing, but if he could draw its attention, that would be enough. Maurit flies to 60ft directly above the beast. In an instant, a large glob of ectoplasm appears below him, where it grows to an enormous size. With a swift motion, it begins to fall at an impressive speed, spreading into a large sheet and trying to cover the tarrasque. Flying down behind the glob, his guard charges at the monster, intent on rending into it.

Actions:

Psicrystal: 48+69/48 HP
Fly to 60ft above the tarrasque

Maurit: 96+69/96 HP
Manifest a 9pp Entangling Ectoplasm, a successful ranged touch attack will Entangle (can't run or charge, -2 to attack rolls, -4 Dex penalty) it for 5 rounds. No save or spell resistance.
Attack (ranged touch): [roll0]
169/269pp

Personal Construct:
144/144 HP
Charge (40ft average flight): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]