PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Deiseeker

Zom B
2010-02-09, 01:35 PM
Just thought I'd post the first draft of this class for critique and suggestions.

Deiseeker

“So much forgotten power. So much, all mine for the taking! I alone will be favored and you, you lowly ants, will bow down before my glory!”
-Dextran Carderas, moments before the ascension of Karzul.

“He was a means to an end. I’m glad to be finally rid of him.”
-Karzul, Lord of Slaughter, moments after ascension.

Pantheons have risen and fallen, all forgotten to the winds of time. However, the deific energy that once composed these erstwhile beings still remains, scattered like a mist that lies across the multiverse. The deiseeker seeks to collect, and give shape to, this essence, wielding it as a powerful tool and at last freeing the gathered essence and giving it will: the birth of a new god.
Through the collection of a deisphere (day-uh-sphere), deiseekers (day-ee-seekers) collect this essence, called dei (day-ee). Because this energy contains latent fragments of its original owner’s memories and identity, the deiseeker can exert his will over the collective and draw knowledge and wisdom from its depths, all while harnessing the power of gods.

Background
The deiseeker becomes who he is for a number of reasons. One deiseeker was a young apprentice mage who stumbled upon the secret and chose the path, seeing it as an easy method of gathering power. One sought to bring new light into the world, and traveled the way of the deiseeker so as to forge a new god to fight against the forces of darkness. One even sought to somehow absorb the dei that she had collected and seek ascension for herself, an experience that proved disastrous.
The knowledge of the deisphere’s construction is attainable by those who know to look. Perhaps it can be found tucked in the margin of a spellbook, or maybe as a note in an old prayer book. Some have even claimed that when the multiverse is ready for the formation of a new god or when an existing god desires a new ally, that sometimes a mortal is chosen as the instrument for that goal.

Alignment
Just as the gods themselves, a deiseeker can be of any alignment.

Hit Die
d6.

Class Skills
The particulant’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all skills; taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at 1st Level
(2 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Int modifier.

Table 1-1: The Deiseeker
{table=head]Level| Base Attack Bonus| Fort Save| Ref Save| Will Save| Special
1 |+0| +0| +0| +2| Craft Deisphere, Providence
2 |+1| +0| +0| +3| Providence
3 |+2| +1| +1| +3| Providence
4 |+3| +1| +1| +4| Providence, Destiny
5 |+3| +1| +1| +4| Providence
6 |+4| +2| +2| +5| Providence
7 |+5| +2| +2| +5| Providence
8 |+6/+1| +2| +2| +6| Providence, Destiny
9 |+6/+1| +3| +3| +6| Providence
10 |+7/+2| +3| +3| +7| Providence
11 |+8/+3| +3| +3| +7| Providence
12 |+9/+4| +4| +4| +8| Providence, Destiny
13 |+9/+4| +4| +4| +8| Providence
14 |+10/+5| +4| +4| +9| Providence
15 |+11/+6/+1| +5| +5| +9| Providence
16 |+12/+7/+2| +5| +5| +10| Providence, Destiny
17 |+12/+7/+2| +5| +5| +10| Providence
18 |+13/+8/+3| +6| +6| +11| Providence
19 |+14/+9/+4| +6| +6| +11| Providence
20 |+15/+10/+5| +6| +6| +12| Destiny, Ascension[/table]

Class Abilities
All of the following are class abilities of the Deiseeker.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Deiseekers are proficient with all simple weapons, with all types of armor (light, medium, and heavy), and with shields (except tower shields).

A deiseeker who chooses the War domain receives the Weapon Focus feat related to his favored weapon as a bonus feat. He also receives the appropriate Martial Weapon Proficiency feat as a bonus feat, if the weapon falls into that category.

Craft Deisphere
A deiseeker begins their path by crafting a deisphere. The process uses a small crystal sphere anointed with special oils, all totaling 50g. Once the deisphere is created, it begins functioning immediately.
If a deisphere is lost or broken, the deiseeker loses access to all of his other class abilities until a new one is crafted, at which time the energies tied to their former sphere seek out the new one, even across planes, in an effort to regain the composure given to them by the deiseeker. If the deiseeker’s dei has ascended (see the Ascension ability below), crafting a new deisphere does nothing.
As the deiseeker gains power, the sphere collects a sphere of wispy essence that orbits the sphere, much like clouds circle a planet. In general, a deiseeker’s power can be directly discerned by the amount of and size of the aura of deific essence collected around their deisphere.

Providence
As a collection of fragmented deific essence, the deiseeker’s will gives the dei direction and function. As the deiseeker grows in power and knowledge, he learns to apply the essence in more and more powerful ways. At each level that the deiseeker gains this ability, he chooses an enhancement to his power:

Divine Power (Sp)
The deiseeker selects two spells from the cleric spell list and can use them each as a spell-like ability once per day. Alternately, the same spell can be selected, in which case it is usable twice per day. The chosen spells must be those whose spell level does not exceed one-half the deiseeker's class levels. This ability may be chosen any number of times, each time adding additional uses of the spell if a spell is selected to which the deiseeker already had access or adding a new spell.

Domain (Su and Sp)
The deiseeker selects a domain and gains the use of the domain power. Also, he gains the use all of the spells in the domain as a spell-like ability once per day, but can only use those spells whose spell levels do not exceed one-half his class levels. Unlike other spell-like abilities, the deiseeker must supply expensive foci and spell components and must pay any associated experience point costs. This ability may be chosen twice. The chosen domains should thematically connect. For instance, it would be unusual to have both the Sun domain and the Death domain without an agreement with the game-master of how they connect.

Dominion over Death (Su)
The deiseeker can turn or rebuke undead a number of times per day equal to 1 + their Charisma modifier as a cleric of their level minus one. If the deiseeker is neutral, they must choose if they turn or rebuke undead when they first select this ability. This ability can be chosen any number of times, each time granting an additional three uses per day.

Favored Weapon (Su)
You can shape the dei surrounding your deisphere or the power surrounding your holy symbol into a weapon. The weapon takes the form of whatever melee weapon you like, but regardless of its form it deals 1d8 damage. This ability can be chosen any number of times. The second time you take this ability, it becomes a +1 weapon. Each time selected afterward, you increase the enhancement bonus by another +1. The total enhancement bonus cannot exceed the deiseeker’s charisma modifier.
Each time you take this ability, you may exchange any enhancement bonuses gained for equivalent weapon special abilities. For instance, you can change your +3 Favored Weapon to a +1 Holy Favored Weapon.

Knowledge (Su)
The deiseeker can consult the ageless memories contained within the deisphere in order to discern information regarding various topics, just as a bard can with bardic knowledge. The deiseeker adds his level and his Intelligence modifier to the lore check, which functions otherwise exactly like a bardic knowledge check. Alternately, the deiseeker can add his 3 + his wisdom modifier as a bonus on one knowledge check. The deiseeker can use the knowledge ability once per day. This ability may be chosen multiple times, each time adding an additional use per day.

Smite (Sp)
The deiseeker can will their deisphere to unleash a ray of energy at a target as a ranged touch attack with a range of 60 ft, at will as a standard action. The attack deals 1d6 damage if it strikes a target. This ability may be chosen any number of times, each time adding another 1d6 to the damage, but can do no more dice in damage with one ray than the deiseeker’s wisdom modifier.

Destiny
As the deiseeker advances in power, the path he has chosen becomes more and more clear. As a reflection of these sudden insights, the deiseeker unlocks drastic advancements in their existing power. At each level that they gain Destiny, the deiseeker selects an ability from the following:

Avenger
You gain an additional use of your Smite ability per round, granting you an additional ray. All targets of your Smite ability must be within 30 ft. of one another. You may select this ability any number of times.

Defender
You gain a +2 sacred (or profane, if evil) bonus to your armor class and saving throws. You may select this ability any number of times, each time increasing the bonus by another 2.

Divine Blade
Attacks with your Favored Weapon are resolved as melee touch attacks.

Gift of the Crusader
When selecting spells with the Divine Power ability, you may select from the Paladin spell list. You gain two additional uses per day to distribute among your spell-like abilities gained from Divine Power.

Gift of Power
You gain five additional uses per day to distribute among your spell-like abilities gained from Divine Power. You may select this ability any number of times.

Ascension
The dei collected by the deiseeker gains its own will to a level sufficient to control itself. It ascends to godhood, gaining divine rank 0. In most cases, the new god favors the mortal that facilitated its re-placement into the divine ranks, but the god is not beholden to do so nor is it acceptable for the new deity to overly favor their creator.
The mortal can, however, have some control over the direction of this new god as it is being formed. For instance, the god always has the same alignment as its creator, and if its creator chose domains (see the Providence class feature), the god has those domains. If the mortal chose a weapon to emulate with the Favored Weapon ability, the deity has this weapon as their favored weapon. Beyond these controls, however, it is ultimately the gamemaster’s decision as to the personality and nature of the new deity.
After the dei has ascended, the deiseeker can use any of their class abilities using an ordinary holy symbol of their new deity.

DracoDei
2010-02-09, 01:52 PM
The only thing this has over a cleric until level 4 is access to UMD. HD is one smaller, spell abilities nil at first level, and less numerous than a cleric of equal level there-after.

Divine Blade should let you change things around at every level-up, rather than having to reselect the ability.

Melayl
2010-02-09, 01:53 PM
Interesting. Where did you get the idea for this class?

I don't have much in the way of suggestions at the moment. I like the class, and the overall concept. I do wonder about the capstone. It does seem fitting, but I don't know that alot of characters would like it. It doesn't grant them anything. I don't know what to replace it with, though.

Keep it up, I'm interested to see what else develops.

Zom B
2010-02-09, 01:57 PM
Interesting. Where did you get the idea for this class?

It's actually from a campaign setting I created where beings far superior to any god showed up in Greyhawk and slaughtered all of them. Unfortunately, I never got to run the setting so I adapted the class to be more general-use.

The only thing this has over a cleric until level 4 is access to UMD. HD is one smaller, spell abilities nil at first level, and less numerous than a cleric of equal level there-after.Good point. Now lies the challenge of giving them something that puts them ahead until level 4 and not thereafter.

Divine Blade should let you change things around at every level-up, rather than having to reselect the ability. Good point. Let me do some adjusting.

Dante & Vergil
2010-02-09, 04:12 PM
I think the class is too cool, though it can always use more Divine Ranks.:smalltongue:

DracoDei
2010-02-09, 04:25 PM
Good point. Now lies the challenge of giving them something that puts them ahead until level 4 and not thereafter.

Note that I never said anything one way or the other about the balance from level 5 onward. It is probably less powerful than a cleric at any level currently.

Gorgondantess
2010-02-09, 06:39 PM
Okay, so, just at a glance, I'd advise pumping up the power of divine power a bit: maybe allow the spell 3/day, or something along those lines. Otherwise, domain power is much more valuable. Or, rather than increase uses per day, make it more mutable: if you take Divine Power to get CLW at level 1, how are you going to be feeling about that class feature at level 20?

Zom B
2010-02-10, 08:01 AM
All right, I've gone back and overhauled Divine Power. Effectively, when you pick it you get the old mechanic twice over: Two spells at 1/day or one spell at 2/day. I also upped the bonus spells per day from Gift of Power.

Initially, I had planned that being able to add all the spells from any domains you pick as spell-like abilities would be restrictive enough in that you don't get to pick the spells as you do with Divine Power, but I've come to realize that there's so many domains out there that that's not entirely the case.

The thing is, this is not intended to be a spellcasting class. They get a smattering of cleric magic, but they also get a melee touch weapon and ranged touch rays, things that clerics just don't get.

I think as it stands, they'll be as useful as a bard or paladin in supplying supplemental healing and buffing, but they can stand in melee and help with damage.

Anyways, I only have one feat for them right now:

Gift of Providence
Your mastery over deific essence manifests more strongly.
Requirement: Providence class feature.
Benefit: Gain one of the benefits listed under the Providence as if you had gained a level that granted this ability.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times.

The-Mage-King
2010-02-10, 08:20 AM
You should put a Spell level restriction on Divine Power.

We don't wan't these guuys picking two 9th levels at level 1, do we?

Zom B
2010-02-10, 08:23 AM
You should put a Spell level restriction on Divine Power.

We don't wan't these guuys picking two 9th levels at level 1, do we?

Um, it does have one.

The chosen spells must be those whose spell level does not exceed one-half the deiseeker's class levels.

The-Mage-King
2010-02-10, 08:25 AM
Whoops. Sorry 'bout that.

I just woke up, and wasn't reading (or thinking) clearly...

Anyway, great class.

Zom B
2010-02-10, 08:27 AM
But you did actually make me do the math and realize that at 20th level, that means you can choose a 10th level spell. Maybe I should put a cap on that.

EDIT: Wait, there's no epic spells on the Cleric spell list. So no worries.

The-Mage-King
2010-02-10, 08:29 AM
Yeah...

EDIT: Yeah, but what about metamagic enhanced spells?

Zom B
2010-02-10, 08:37 AM
There's no metamagic-enhanced spells on the cleric spell list either, so no worries. You have to pick it directly from the list.

EDIT: added a Destiny ability that allows you to pick spells from the Paladin spell list as well.

Draz74
2010-02-10, 12:07 PM
This class certainly won't ruin any games, but it seems a lot of work to go through compared to just playing a Spontaneous Variant Cleric (which, like it, has limited Spells Known).

Ah well. At least it's got very different default fluff.

Dante & Vergil
2010-02-11, 06:34 PM
Is there anyway that you could create an Epic progression? And if so, with unique abilities, to at least level 30?

Zom B
2010-02-11, 09:10 PM
That'd be a neat idea, what you can do now that you have a divine friend.

Zom B
2010-02-12, 08:48 AM
The Epic Deiseeker

Hit Die
d6

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Int modifier

Divine Power
For any spell-like abilities gained through the deiseeker's Divine Power class feature, the deiseeker’s caster level is equal to his or her class level.

Turn or Rebuke Undead
If the deiseeker has the ability to turn or rebuke undead, use the deiseeker’s class level to determine the most powerful undead affected by a turn or rebuke check and the turning damage, just as normal.

Knowledge
If the deiseeker has the Knowledge class feature, add the deiseeker’s class level + Intelligence modifier to all Knowledge checks, as normal.

{table=head]Deiseeker Level|Special
21st|
22nd|Prophet
23rd|
24th|Prophet
25th|
26th|Prophet
27th|
28th|Prophet
29th|
30th|Prophet[/table]

Prophet
Through your connection as the first prophet of your created deity, you gain special powers and benefits. Each time you gain this ability, select from the class features below:

Bonus Feat
The epic deiseeker gains a bonus feat selected from the following list:
Armor Skin, Bonus Domain1, Energy Resistance, Epic Leadership, Epic Prowess, Epic Reputation, Epic Skill Focus, Epic Toughness, Extended Life Span, Fast Healing, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Smite2, Legendary Commander, Negative Energy Burst, Perfect Health, Permanent Emanation, Planar Turning, Polyglot, Positive Energy Aura, Spectral Strike.

1Add the gained domain spells to your list of spell-like abilities.
2New feat, listed below.

Miracle Worker
You gain the ability to cast Wish as a spell-like ability, usable once per day. You may only use this ability to further the goals and ideals of your created deity.

Saint
If you are of good alignment, you may gain the Saint template. You do not need to account for level adjustment, but you must adhere to the code of conduct required of a saint or lose this template. You must have the Miracle Worker class feature to select this ability and must have a Writ of Canonization signed by at least one hundred followers of your deity.

Scourge
If you are of evil alignment, you may gain the Scourge template. You do not need to account for level adjustment, but you must adhere to the code of conduct required of a scourge or lose this template. You must have the Miracle Worker class feature to select this ability and must have a Writ of Abhorrence signed by at least one hundred followers of your deity.

The Scourge Template

Becomes a ‘Outsider (native)’
Immune to Acid, Fire, Electricity, & Petrifaction
Cold Resistance 10
+4 Racial bonus vs. Poison
Low-Light Vision
Darkvision 60’
+2 DC to all special attacks, spells, supernatural, spelllike, & extraordinary abilities.
Con +2
Wis +2
Cha +4
CR +2

Tongues, always on.
Gain an Insight bonus to AC equal to the Scourge’s Wisdom modifier.
Corruptive Touch – the Saint’s melee attacks do +1d6 Unholy damage vs. Good creatures (or +1d8 vs. Good Outsiders and creatures with an Aura of Good). Any Good creature that attacks the Scourge with a Natural Attack takes the same amount of damage.
Able to cast Guidance, Resistance, Bane, and Touch of Fatigue at will at Character level.
Gain Fast Healing (HD/2).
Protective Aura – 20’ radius miasma of shadow that can be activated as a Free Action. Acts as a double strength Magic Circle against Good and a Lesser Globe of Invulnerability.
Gain damage reduction according to the chart below:

{table=head]HD|Damage Reduction
1-3| —
4-7| 5 / magic
8-11| 5 / good
12+| 10 / good[/table]

Code of Conduct
A scourge must be of evil alignment and loses the scourge template if he ever willingly commits a good act. Additionally, a scourge's code requires that he disrespect all who follow a good deity, help only those who help him maintain or further the goals and ideals of his deity, and punish those who challenge his authority.

Improved Smite [Epic]
Prerequisite
Providence: Smite Class Feature, Knowledge (Religion) 24 ranks

Benefit
Add +1d6 to your smite damage.

Special
You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack and these bonus dice of damage do not count towards the amount of dice limited by your wisdom modifier.

Vaynor
2010-02-12, 02:31 PM
+1d6 damage to the smite ability as an epic feat is terrible. I might be wrong, but can't you get the exact same thing with the non-epic feat you posted? Have it grant a lot more than +1d6. Also, smite currently has no uses per day/round/encounter/what-have-you. Is it usable at will? Might want to include that.

Also, it is unclear if the domain power grants you each domain spell (i.e. all nine) as a SLA 1/day, or just one of them as a SLA 1/day.

For Favored Weapon, cap it at +5 until level 20. At the moment a level 10 Deiseeker could have a +10 weapon. I'd also suggest increasing its base damage when you increase the enhancement bonus. Something like this: 1d6 (+0), 1d8 (+1), 1d10 (+2), 1d12 (+3), 2d8 (+4), 3d6 (+5).

Overall, I really like the idea of this class, but it definitely needs some fine-tuning.

Dante & Vergil
2010-02-12, 02:37 PM
Sweet, I love my Epic Progressions!
I'm a little confused about the Ascension ability at level 20. Does the Dei or the Deiseeker have Divine Rank 0? I'm not precisely sure.
Also, I had some thoughts that I think might be cool for class features, which include the Dei and/or Deiseeker gaining Divine Ranks every X levels, with X being like 10, 15, 20 maybe.

Zom B
2010-02-12, 02:47 PM
+1d6 damage to the smite ability as an epic feat is terrible. I might be wrong, but can't you get the exact same thing with the non-epic feat you posted? Have it grant a lot more than +1d6.

The epic feat does not count towards the damage limit. If you check out Smite, you cannot deal more dice in damage than your Wisdom modifier with one ray.

Also, smite currently has no uses per day/round/encounter/what-have-you. Is it usable at will? Might want to include that.

Probably should, yeah

Also, it is unclear if the domain power grants you each domain spell (i.e. all nine) as a SLA 1/day, or just one of them as a SLA 1/day.

I thought it was pretty clear, but that could just be because I know how it's supposed to work in my head. Couldn't hurt to be more explicit.

For Favored Weapon, cap it at +5 until level 20. At the moment a level 10 Deiseeker could have a +10 weapon.

Favored Weapon is capped at your Charisma modifier. So yes, you could have a +10 weapon at level 10, provided you have a 30 Charisma.

I'd also suggest increasing its base damage when you increase the enhancement bonus. Something like this: 1d6 (+0), 1d8 (+1), 1d10 (+2), 1d12 (+3), 2d8 (+4), 3d6 (+5).

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it doing more base damage on top of getting an enhancement bonus and getting, basically, Brilliant Energy for free.

Zom B
2010-02-12, 02:51 PM
Sweet, I love my Epic Progressions!
I'm a little confused about the Ascension ability at level 20. Does the Dei or the Deiseeker have Divine Rank 0? I'm not precisely sure.
Also, I had some thoughts that I think might be cool for class features, which include the Dei and/or Deiseeker gaining Divine Ranks every X levels, with X being like 10, 15, 20 maybe.

The Dei becomes a god, not the Deiseeker. And no, we're not going to make a class that gives you divine ranks. Sorry.

Dante & Vergil
2010-02-12, 03:17 PM
Well, it's allways worth talking about.

Vaynor
2010-02-12, 03:49 PM
The epic feat does not count towards the damage limit. If you check out Smite, you cannot deal more dice in damage than your Wisdom modifier with one ray.

Gotcha, I thought it was another +1d6 as normal.

Favored Weapon is capped at your Charisma modifier. So yes, you could have a +10 weapon at level 10, provided you have a 30 Charisma.

Level 1, start with 18 Cha, put 2 points in it at level 4 and level 8, get a +6 Cloak of Charisma. There's 26, and a +8 weapon at level 8. Very overpowered. Regardless of the difficulty in achieving this, you still need a cap of +5.