PDA

View Full Version : Reynards Fallcrest 4e Game. Time before pms: 24 hours after the last post.

Pages : [1] 2

Reynard
2010-02-09, 03:28 PM
This is the in-character thread for my Falcrest game. If you want to join the reserves list, go to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141177) and read the first post.

Please don't read other peoples spoiler tags. And please post in spoiler tags.

Jokes:
As you emerge from the wagon you share with your master, you look around the area your carnival has set up in this week. All around you is the bustle of the carnival, already very busy, and you can only just see the buildings surrounding the market green you've set up on. You arrived in the night, and haven't seen much of Fallcrest yet, so you don't know your way around.
Rezplz:
Your day started as normal; waking up, getting dressed, and going to your wife's grave on the way to the barracks. Today, you've been assigned to patrol the Market Green, and to watch out for anybody who's trying to cause trouble at the carnival. Your partner today, like every other day since your wife's death, is one of the inexperienced trainees, Terrance Oaks.
Keler:
As your raft drifts around a bend, you get your first view of Fallcrest, a further half a mile down the river. On the east bank, you can see a mighty keep that's perched on top of a plateau. A long stone wall, about twenty feet tall, stretches from the cliff-face to the river. There's a gate house about halfway along it, and where it meets the river, there's a small tower. A few small farms lie outside the wall. On a small island in the middle of the river, there lies a ruined tower, covered in vines. On the west bank, you can see nothing but trees. But there must be something, as there's a bridge that crosses from the east bank to the west.
Nepphi:
Your journey from your homeland was a safe one, as you were able to avoid the golins in the forest, and the elves didn't bother you. As you head north up the Kings Road, you turn a bend and see ruined walls. But farms that lie just before those walls seem to be well-maintained, and you can see that the half-demolished gatehouse is still manned. There are a number of holes in the walls, even the smallest easily large enough for anyone to get through. As you get closer to the walls, you hear the sounds of a festival coming from inside Fallcrest.
Freshmeat:
You awake to the sounds of a festival drifting in through the window. You're inside your section of the attic of Naerumars Imports, which has been where you've been staying since you started to help Orest with his inventory.

nepphi
2010-02-09, 03:47 PM
Festivals are always nice. Luc reflected as he continued on toward the gatehouse, his weapons sheathed where they wouldn't appear too threatening. Chances to make some coin helping set things up, plenty of food, connections to make with people who wanted various jobs done...he'd do just fine here. He walked confidently right for the gatehouse, a pleasant smile on his face as he pushed some of his curly hair out of his eyes.

"Hail and hello. There a toll for passing through, or the city open to anyone?"

Reynard
2010-02-09, 04:09 PM
Nepphi:
The Guardsmen look at you, slightly confused, then one of them walks over.

"See those holes? If we tried to set up a toll here, we'd have to spend more time chasing 'intruders' then we would anything else. Only places there's a toll is the bridge and the ferry."

The guardsman sighs.

"You from Harken? You have that look. Anyway, just hand me any weapons you have for a sec, and you can go right on through. You'll get them back, don't worry."

nepphi
2010-02-09, 04:20 PM
Luc gave a bit of a laugh at that as he began unbundling his weapons. "Aye? But when, I wonder? What'll you be doing with them, am I leavin' them here for the fest, or are you peacebonding?"

Reynard
2010-02-09, 04:32 PM
Nepphi
After handing them to one of the other guards, he turns back to you.

"Like I said, you'll get 'em back, we just need to make a a record of them, just in case... you know. They get used. We'll seal the scabbards and quiver with wax, and if we, for example, find someone stuck with a dozen arrows, and someone tries to leave with an unsealed quiver..."

He lets a tired chuckle.

"O'course, they could just walk though one of the gaping holes. We had a caravan at one of the other gates last night, the one bringing the carnival here. So many guards. It must've taken a hour to sort that out."

After a couple of minutes, the other guardman returns with your weapons.

"Well, I might not be here when you head back home, but have fun at the carnival."

Freshmeat
2010-02-09, 04:41 PM
Tann'or shook his head somewhat groggily to get the sleep out of his head and stood up. From his room, he could see the tip of several brightly-coloured festival tents at the market square down in Lowtown. He'd heard something about a festival coming to Fallcrest a couple of days ago already, but he hadn't paid it it much mind at the time, so it's arrival and apparent presence still came as a surprise to him.
I might check it out later today, he thought to himself. Or whenever Orest gives me a few hours off.

Turning away from the window, Tann'or got dressed and went downstairs to see if there was anything he could help with. His shift didn't start until later that day, but most employees were expected to help out whenever needed.
Here's to hoping business is quiet at the moment. No better way to start the day than a relaxing morning walk.

nepphi
2010-02-09, 04:42 PM
"Anyone who needs a dozen arrows to do someone is using some pissy arrows!" The archer laughed as he put his weapons back into place around himself. He wasn't too concerned, really. There were ways around every contrivance.

"Have a good day you two then." And with a friendly wave he was off inside to go see what he could get up to at the festivities with a handful of gold.

rezplz
2010-02-09, 04:54 PM
As usual of late, Nelson was restless at his post. Bored eyes scan the Market Green, having seen nothing yet. "Same ****, different day, Terrence. That's all this job is any more." He sighs as they walk through the Market, his sword at his hip and shield on his arm. Every day was more difficult for him now - every day made him want to leave. He just knew he wouldn't be able to find any possible way for his wife to be cured just patrolling the market, with the newest green trainee in tow. But, as of yet, nothing had come up. Nothing that was enough to make him leave his job. He puts a hand up to his head, shielding his bored eyes from the sun as they scan the market again. Nothing exciting yet...

Reynard
2010-02-09, 04:55 PM
Freshmeat:
As you reach the bottom of the steps, you here a shout from behind you.

"Hey, what in the Hells are you do- Oh. It's you. I don't even sleep here and I was working before you. Well, My uncle probably wants to see you."
It's the voice of Narash'ka, Orest's niece. She's been abrasive ever since you moved into the shop.

Nepphi:
As you enter Low Town, most of the buildings you can see are ruins, with the exceptions of a couple of houses, and what looks like a tavern, next to a small stream that seems to cross the whole town. On a spire of rock to the west, there's a tall tower made of a pale green rock, and on the bluffs to the north and north-east, there are more intact houses a couple of temples visible. The road continues past that tavern, over the stream, an towards more intact houses. At the far end, you can see the carnival.

rezplz:
Nothing untoward happens. Some jugglers juggle, a mime mimes, and what looks like a wizard is performing small cantrips to amuse the children. You catch a glimpse of Lady Markelhay with her children in the crowd around the magician, but no-one seems to be bothering her.

rezplz
2010-02-09, 05:08 PM
Nelson makes a mental note to keep an eye on Lady Markelhay, and whispers to Terrence, "You always have to make sure to keep an eye on important people in huge events like this. With all the chaos and celebration going on, it would be really easy for an assassin or kidnapper to grab someone." However, not really expecting anything to happen, he only makes sure to glance at her every now and then. Feeling immensely bored, Nelson decides to make some small-talk with the trainee to keep his mind somewhat busy.

"So, how's your girl, Terrence? You have one, right? Can't quite remember if you ever mentioned her or not..."

Reynard
2010-02-09, 05:14 PM
rezplz:
"Er...nosir, I don't have a girl...um..."
Terrance looks nervous.

rezplz
2010-02-09, 05:26 PM
"Well, if you do ever get one, Terrence. Hold on to her. You never know when the world might take her from you..." his eyes look distant for a bit, but then he shakes his head. Looking at the trainee, it seemed like he was creeping the kid out. He chuckles, braving a smile. "Hey, relax, okay? And don't be calling me sir, it's not like I'm some captain or anything. We're both just guards, I just happen to have been doing it a little longer than you is all. No need for formalities or anything."

Reynard
2010-02-09, 05:33 PM
rezplz:
"Yessir. Uh, sorry."

"Er, what's that?"
Terrance points to Sandercot Provisioners.
"Um, nevermind, it's gone now. I thought I saw..."

Freshmeat
2010-02-09, 05:40 PM
Charming as ever...

Tann'or half-turns to face the young tiefling, flashing a smile without skipping a beat.
"Why, good morning to you as well!" he says in as serious a tone as he can muster, though some of the underlying sarcasm is apparent. "I was just on my way to your uncle actually."

Subtly increasing his pace, Tann'or walks on to go and find Orest and (more importantly) get away from Narash'ka. He felt she was rather unnecessarily rude, but preferred not to bump heads with her if it could be avoided.

Reynard
2010-02-09, 05:47 PM
Freshmeat:
The word "Imp." ejects itself out of her mouth, and she storms off with her horns in the air.

Orest is alone in his office when you get there. He looks up from the scrolls on his desk, probably today's inventory.
"Oh, hello Tann'or, you haven't seen half a dozen rods of dark reward have you? No? Pity."

"Any particular reason you're here when your shift doesn't start for another...six hours? There's a festival of some sort today."

rezplz
2010-02-09, 05:49 PM
Nelson raises an eyebrow, looking over at Sandercot Provisioners. He frowns, glancing at Terrence. "Hm. Knowing the family that runs that place? Yeah, you might have seen something important. It's probably nothing, but in this case I think it's better to check." he says, keeping his voice low and looking casual. "The important thing to do is to act like you have nothing on your mind. If whatever you saw thinks you saw them, then they'll be gone in a few seconds. Come on, let's check it out. Make sure to keep an eye on everything else. Don't want to be surprised or anything."

Nelson then walks in the general direction of the general store. While trying to figure out what Terrence saw, he still makes sure to keep at least half an eye on the rest of the carnival. Most of his attention, however, is on the general store itself.

Reynard
2010-02-09, 05:55 PM
rezplz:
"No sir, it was something behind the the building, in the ruins."

As you get closer you also see movement amongst the burnt-out shells.

((Perception Check, do it in this thread.))

ZG:
The long journey down the Trade Road is finally over, and the eastern gate of Fallcrest stand before you. There's a steady trickle of people in and out of the town, but the guards seem to be checking them as they go through.

rezplz
2010-02-09, 06:03 PM
"Hm." Nelson frowns a bit, his hand drifting towards his sword on his left hip - but he leaves it there. No need to alarm anybody yet - again, it might be nothing. But... of course, it might be something. "Yeah, I think I see something too... come on, let's go check it out. Remember, don't be suspicious." Nelson starts strolling off towards the ruins behind the building, trying to get a better look at whatever was moving.

[roll0]

nepphi
2010-02-09, 06:05 PM
"Seems the place." Hiking up his gear, he started walking along, bypassing the tavern and headed right for the event. There'd surely be something to do, maybe even an archers' competition or a sword tourney. That'd be something.

Freshmeat
2010-02-09, 06:08 PM
"No real reason, actually," Tann'or says with a shrug.
"Just thought I'd drop by here first before checking out the festival, in case something was up. Your niece recommended something of the sort too. But everything here seems to be fine. It looks like that shipment of gems and sculptures has arrived sooner than expected too," Tann'or says while motioning over to a chest sitting on Orest's desk and a pair of crates placed neatly in a corner of the store. "Anyway, I'll be off then. See you in the afternoon."

Reynard
2010-02-09, 06:15 PM
rezplz:
You don't see what caught your eye before, but something could have easily got into the trees. Terrance looks even more nervous than normal.

((one last perception check, higher DC this time ;) ))

nepphi:
The Carnival is very busy, it seems most of Fallcrest is there. There are more people in one place than you've ever even seen before. Someone has set up a game where people fire a slingshot at targets to win prizes, while someone else is challenging the townsfolk to fights.

Freshmeat:
"Narash'ka?"

He chuckles under his breath for a second.

"Have fun at the fair, but be back at midday."

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 06:16 PM
Horace Sheoth approached the gates from the endless roads leading off from the dwarven settlements. His flask now empty and his pockets slim the elder cleric hobbled along the pave towards the scrabble of peasants and merchants alike trying to enter Fallcrest. The guards routine search was unlikely to cause any trouble, but just to be certain Horace checked through his own pockets and mumbled across the contents of his pack under his breath.
"Flask, torches, morning star..." The words rolled into his slim silver beard. His hand came to the necklace hanging from his neck, a slim spiral of silver forged as a gift; his new religious symbol, and the source of his divine light. Brimming with a new confidence the humble servant of Gods awaited near the gates as the line grew thin.

rezplz
2010-02-09, 06:21 PM
"Terrence," he whispers, edging closer to the ruins and the trees, "What do you see? I saw something move, but I think it's gone now..."

OOC: GO GO HOPEFULLY BETTER ROLL!
[roll0]

Reynard
2010-02-09, 06:22 PM
ZG:
After around ten minutes, you reach the front of the line.

A bored looking guardsman is waiting for you.
"Hello, welcome to Fallcrest. Here for the Carnival? Good. Please hand over any weapons."

rezplz:
((Sorry, that wouldn't have even passed the first DC.))

"I don't know, sir."

rezplz
2010-02-09, 06:27 PM
((I'm rolling all kinds of bad. Haha.))

"Hm. Well, it might have been nothing. We'll check things out around here for a little longer, but we shouldn't be away from the carnival for too long. Wouldn't want to miss out on the exciting joys of guard duty." Nelson will spend at most about a minute moving forward more, trying to see whatever he saw earlier. Once he sees nothing, he shrugs and heads back towards the carnival to resume watching over things.

nepphi
2010-02-09, 06:29 PM
He was feeling a bit muscular today. He smiled and headed to the fighting contest. "Is this open to any? If so, I'd like to try my skill!"

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 06:32 PM
Taken aback by the demand and the lack of time to respond Horace slurred a few words around his mouth before breaking into a merry little grin, removing the traval hood from his head.
"Handing over weapons now, lad? Am I under arrest?"
he said with a chuckle, sliding his pack down onto the crook of his arm. "As much as I'd like to relieve myself of this weight, I see no reason why a vulnerable old man like me should surrender his only defence from cutthroats and purse snatchers. Oh now don't get me wrong fellow, I'm sure Fallcrest is a lovely place indeed, but as a man of the law I don't need to remind you how things always seem to be going downhill lately." His slight ramble was matched only by the persistence of his grin, which may or may not have been entirely artificial given his exhaustion. His first destination in Fallcrest; going to buy a new cane.

Freshmeat
2010-02-09, 06:33 PM
Tann'or goes outside and leisurely walks over to the market green to have a look at the festival.

Reynard
2010-02-09, 06:39 PM
rezplz:
Nothing happens. Whatever it was is gone, or doens't want to reveal itself.
nepphi:
The bigger man, a 6'6" musclebound giant, awnsers your question.
"Yah, it's open to everyone. Most are too chicken to fight me, so they fight Bruce instead."

He gestures to the slightly smaller man who's currently fighting a farmer who, despite the fact it's only a couple of hours after daybreak, is drunk.

"So, you chicken too?"
ZG:
"Hand over your weapon, sir. Don't worry, it's only a temporary thing, you'll get it back in a couple of minutes."
Freshmeat:
As you reach the Moonsong, you can clearly see the Festival taking place below. It seems pretty packed already, even the streets nearby are full of people. Surprised at this, you head down the Bluffs and make your way there.

As you get near, and as you expected, it gets harder to walk in a straight line due to the amount of bodies moving around. Here and there you see Fallcrest Guardsmen looking longingly at either taverns or women.

Once you reach the Carnival, the first thing that catches your eye is a wizard who's performing cantrips for the children. A finely dressed woman you recognise as the Lady Markelhay is watching him with her children

Keler
2010-02-09, 06:43 PM
Clemark steers his raft as close to the east bank as possible and jumps off a little distance from the gate house. ''Well, at lease it is sure nice to get moving again. What an awful ride that was'' he says as he makes his way to the gatehouse. ''I hope they have at some warm food and standing structures better off then that keep.''

nepphi
2010-02-09, 06:43 PM
In response, Luc shucked his weapons and handed the bundle to whatever attendant was keeping track. "These are important to me, take care of them." He looked over to the big boastful guy. "What rules?"

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 06:44 PM
Glancing back across his shoulder as though he wasn't quite sure what was being asked the cleric slowly allowed his backpack to trail to his hand. The words 'have back' not entirely registering in his head by this point Horace found himself removing the small hand crossbow and his morning star from his supply.
"A carnival did you say? Well now, I didn't know Fallcrest was in its festive season." Immediatly disregarding the previous topic he twisted off the cap of his flask only to be reminded that he needed to visit a pub for a refill.

rezplz
2010-02-09, 06:46 PM
Nelson goes back to patrolling the market green until something else of interest catches his eye. He glances at Lady Markelhay, making sure she's still there and nothing's happened to her.

Reynard
2010-02-09, 06:54 PM
Keler:

((ARGH MY EYES. Please change that to something readable))

You head over to the Northen gate, and a guardsman stops you from going through.
"Welcome to Fallcrest, are you here for the Carnival?"
Nepphi
"Rules? Ha! We punch until one of us falls over. Just no aiming for sensitive area, okay?"
ZG:
Thank you sir."

He takes the weapons and hands them to another guardsman.

"Yes, sir, a carnival arrived last night, and will be here for the next couple of days."

After a few minutes, the guardsman returns with your weapons. The crossbows string has been removed a put into a wax-sealed container, and the mourning-stars head has been encased in a large cork ball.
rezplz:
The lady Markelhay is still watching the magician, and Terrance is still nervous.

nepphi
2010-02-09, 07:02 PM
Luc nodded, stripping off his armour and his tunic to stand barechested. He bounced into the ring, throwing up his hands in a boxer's stance. "Let's do this."

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 07:03 PM
Accepting the tools back Horace gave an amused glint before stuffing them back into his already heavy pack. Heaving it back onto his shoulders he took a look across the others present, checking to see anyone besides the common wandered.
"Aye, not many goblins are going to be afraid when I come chargin' down on them with this!" He jested, stuffing the 'star into his coat and giving the guard an all too familiar pat to the shoulder.
"By the way sir, I don't suppose you can tell me where to find a public house? Been a long walk it has, and I've had little to keep me going. Could also do with a new stick, mine's poking out through a foot-trap out in the woods."

Reynard
2010-02-09, 07:06 PM
ZG:
"Well, nothing in High Town would suit, I think. There's the Lucky Gnome, next to the Market Square in Low Town. Where the carnival is. Now, move along, please."
Nepphi:
"If you're sure" Says the big man, vaulting the barrier easily.

"Before we start, what's your name? I like to know the name of the people I fight."

Keler
2010-02-09, 07:08 PM
''Of course. I wouldn't miss Fallcrest's famous Carnival for anything in the world. In fact I came all the way from Winterhaven to get here." A carnival. I wonder what I can find there, thinks Clemark.

Reynard
2010-02-09, 07:12 PM
Keler:
"'Famous'? The carnival's a traveling show, so maybe you've heard of them, but Fallcrest's festival's in the Autumn. Anyway, please hand over any weapons on your person, for security reasons."

"Don't worry, you'll get them back once we're done with them."

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 07:13 PM
"Oh, yush. Thank you for the help, good lad." Pulling himself away from the natural urge to talk the mans ear off the gentle cleric passed on through, passing the gates and making his way towards Old Town and the Lucky Gnome. The name alone gave him high hopes, and as he skipped in along cobbled stones, he considered maybe he would attend the carnival after all...

nepphi
2010-02-09, 07:13 PM
"Luc D'Angelo. Most folk call me Angel, but I'm not picky."

He stretched his arms and legs, bouncing from foot to foot lightly. He was clearly in very good physical shape.

ooc - this gonna require any rolls?

Keler
2010-02-09, 07:18 PM
"Of course, I picked these up cheap. You never know what trouble you might run into" (hands over weapons).

Reynard
2010-02-09, 07:20 PM
Nepphi, psst, spoilers:
"Luc? Good to meet you. I'm Dave. Some call me Angry Dave, but I don't know why. I never get angry."

((Yes, but not as many, or as complicated, as a full battle.))
Initiative:[roll0]
ZG:
As you reach the a temple overlooking the Bluffs, you can clearly see the Festival taking place below. It seems pretty packed already, even the streets nearby are full of people.

As you get near, and as you expected, it gets harder to walk in a straight line due to the amount of bodies moving around. Here and there you see Fallcrest Guardsmen looking longingly at either taverns or women.

Eventually you make your way through the melee, and come upon the Lucky Gnome. It's a fairly beaten up old place, but no more than the surrounding part of town.
Keler:
"Thank you."
The guard hands them to another guardsman, who takes them into the gatehouse.
"So... You're from Winterhaven? Why'd you come by river, and not by the King's Road?"

nepphi
2010-02-09, 07:23 PM
ooc - yeah, I tried, but it interpreted it as colour, not spoiler. fixed.

Initiative: [roll0]

"Must be for a laugh then. Good to meet ya, now let's swing!"

Reynard
2010-02-09, 07:28 PM
nepphi:

Your move.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 07:30 PM
Horace stops for but an instant to take a look at the front of the building, but the crowds brushing by make him feel uncomfortable and so he shuffles on through the doors. Stepping into the tavern he keeps in mind the images of the event taking place outside, and though considering whether this was the best time to visit Fallcrest, a part of him was quite excited about getting to live the festive life.
Passing through to the interior Horace slaps his backpack down on the bar, gratefully taking up a seet and resting his legs. At over fifty years he would be a mighty spry elf, but as a human his bones were showing their years, though not so strongly for a usual someone his age.

"Keep," He called out, shaking through his pockets for his extra coins, "I need enough brew to put out a blaze, and if you have any sturdy sticks lying about I'll take those off your hands too." The words were to nobody in particular, for all Horace knew nobody was listening.

Reynard
2010-02-09, 07:37 PM
ZG:
The inside of the Tavern is dead. The only other occupants are a halfing who has passed out, and the human barkeep who's leaning against the bar, half-asleep.

"Eh, wot? You want to buy a drink? Heh, sure, I can help with that. What's your poison?"

nepphi
2010-02-09, 07:37 PM
Luc bounced forward and took a jab with his left hand.

Unarmed [roll0]
Can I use a melee at-will power with my fists?

Keler
2010-02-09, 07:42 PM
"Well, I decided that it might be a pleasant way to travel. Back is a little bit stiff, but it was quite enjoy able." And easyer to get away in too, but the guard did not need to know that.

Reynard
2010-02-09, 07:43 PM
Nepphi:
((No, it's just punching.))

Dave neatly side-steps your lunge, then spins and lashes out with his right arm.

vs AC:[roll0]

Damage:[roll1]

EDIT: Sweet Jesus.
Keler:
"Well, welcome to Fallcrest. Just head straight down the road right in front of you when you go through, past Halfmoon Trading."

The guardsman from before returns with your weapons. The short sword has been wax-sealed into it's sheath, the daggers have had the same done to them, and the crossbows string has been removed and put in a sealed case.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 07:46 PM
"Unless the function of a pub has changed since my day, aye, I want to buy a drink." Taking a glance over at the snoozing halfling Horace began to shuffle through some of the gold and copper pieces resting in his palm.
"I'll take any dwarven ales you've got on tap. I'll take a pint of it, plus however much it'll take to fill this." He hands over the simple flask from his pocket. Across the face are scrawled the words 'Elamus Coldbrew'.

Reynard
2010-02-09, 07:52 PM
ZG
"You're sure? Okay, that's... 3sp"

After filling your flask, the barman, hands it back, along with the tankard.

"So, mister Coldbrew, you in town for the festivities?" He sounds slightly bitter when he says this.

nepphi
2010-02-09, 07:53 PM
ooc - what AC am I trying to hit?

Luc took the hit and stepped with it, then swung again, laughing exuberantly. This was his kind of carnival.

[roll0]

Reynard
2010-02-09, 08:00 PM
Neppi:

((His AC is 14 (+4 from dex) ))

Ducking your next attack, Dave comes back with an uppercut.
"Glad to see you like being punched. How about added game?"

To hit: [roll]d20+4[roll]

If hit: [roll0]

Reynard
2010-02-09, 08:02 PM
nepphi:

Sorry, messed up: To hit: [roll0]

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 08:04 PM
With a smile the old caster passes across three silver pieces [*Edits Sheet*] before looking at the barkeep quizzically for a spell before realising.
"Coldbrew? Oho, no my dear you are mistaken. The name is Horace Sheoth, just came in from the dwarven passes. This flask is a dwarf crafted gift from a dear old friend, a wiser wizard there isn't in this world." Taking a glance by the window he could see the crowds still marching on by, even for this early hour the anticipation was high. Fallcrest was not a massive place, but for this many people, the carnivals arrival must have meant something quite impressive.
"Now you mention it yes, I was planning on hobbling down to see what all the hulabaloo was about. A nice enough folk they seem to be around here, the carnival is sure to allure a bunch of 'em."

nepphi
2010-02-09, 08:07 PM
Luc took this second hit without complaint and waded right back in punching with his own degree of gusto.
Punch [roll0]
Damage if I hit. [roll1]

Reynard
2010-02-09, 08:07 PM
ZG

"Bah, don't know how they did it. They only arrived last night an' already word is all around town. Stealing my business, they are."

Reynard
2010-02-09, 08:10 PM
Nepphi:

"No answer?"

Your fist almost manages to connect, but he twists at the last second and knocks it away.

To hit: [roll0]

Dmg: [roll1]

Good lord. You're 8 hp away from KO.
rezplz:
You can see from where you are that one of the Carnivals prize fighters is giving some poor farmer a hell of a beating.

nepphi
2010-02-09, 08:13 PM
ooc - yeah, well. Luc's good natured about that kinda thing. Though I am irritated at the dice ignoring the fact that I'm supposedly a hero. x3

Luc swayed, his face bloody and his breath coming in short wheezes. He just grinned and waggled his brows, darting forward and taking another swing.

[roll0]
[roll1]

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 08:14 PM
"Briggands of the economy, eh? Ah well they won't be around long I'd wager, wring the town dry of excitement and then move on. Still, I'll be putting down my coins here and then seeing what they have to offer me second." He spoke with a cheer, putting down an extra silver piece on the table before kicking back the ale. Strong stuff indeed, he thought, and wondered just what had put the halfling to sleep.

When Horace had finished his pint he thanked the barkeep and, flask now full and purse a tiny bit lighter, made towards the door with intent of getting an early view of the carnival.

[ I'd like to run a perception check to see if there's anything in the pub I could use for a walking stick? Not that he needs one, I just like the image.]

Reynard
2010-02-09, 08:17 PM
Nepphi:
((A hit!))

You catch Dave a solid blow to the side.

"Well done! I like this better!"

To hit: [roll0]

dmg [roll1]
ZG:
"Well, thanks for the custom, friend. By the by, the names Kelson."

((Sure, go ahead.))

nepphi
2010-02-09, 08:19 PM
"I aim to please!" His voice came out in a wheeze after that blow, the youth swaying but not yet retreating. He stepped in and swung again, roaring with exuberance.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Keler
2010-02-09, 08:19 PM
Got to make sure to unseal these when I get the chance. But first I think ill see if I can't get some food at that carnival. Clemark heads the way the guard mentioned.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 08:25 PM
[ Perception check= [roll0] ]

Reynard
2010-02-09, 08:26 PM
Nepphi:

Dave dodges left, and you miss by some distance.

"Don't tell me that was fluke shot!" He laughs.

To Hit: [roll0]

Dmg: [roll1]
Keler:

((They're only wax seals, but I'd advise against breaking them unless you have to.))

As you reach the Bluffs, you can clearly see the Festival taking place below. It seems pretty packed for this time of day, even the streets nearby are full of people.

ZG:

((Almost epic success!))

Kelson sees you looking for something, then asks "You looking for a stick, old man? For that silver peice, I'll let you take one of the ones in that stand there"

He gestures to a bin that contains a small number of sticks, all of them plain wood.

nepphi
2010-02-09, 08:30 PM
Luc tried to answer, but the world had gone sideways, all of a sudden. He took a staggering little step to the side, and then went down with a crash.

Jokes
2010-02-09, 08:32 PM
[Wow, you guys got started quickly:smalleek: I go to bed for a few hours and this is what happens...]

Yuri awakes, fresh eyed and glad to be in a new city. He has a light breakfast, then helps his master assemble the stage. He looks at his master expectantly, as he does in every new town. The old mage just gives him a wave of the hand, dismissing him. Yuri takes off into the already growing crowd. He finds a well travelled spot and begins busking, starting off with juggling, then going into card tricks.

[roll0] (to put on a good show, add whichever modifier you think is relevant, thievery is +8, dex is +3 and charisma is +3)

He thanks the people who had been watching him, and points them in the direction of his master's show. With that, he decides to take a better look around the carnival.

Keler
2010-02-09, 08:33 PM
Clemark looks place to grab a bit then looks for an event that looks like it is drawing a large crowd?

Reynard
2010-02-09, 08:33 PM
Nepphi:
You come to in a tent. Around you you can hear the sounds of Dave and Bruce's other victims. An Elven girl is tending to their headaches and bruises, mostly with ale.
Jokes:
Your slight of hand tricks amuse the locals, for a time, and a couple throw coins. (8cp) Once the crowd has dispersed, you can see you master giving the locals his own show. A well-dress woman, possibly a noble, watches him from the crowd. Over in the distance, you can see one of the carnivals fighters, Dave, beating a willing customer senseless. His partner, Bruce, watches, waiting for his turn.
Keler:
There seems to be a many popular events, but a magic show and the fights seem the busiest.

nepphi
2010-02-09, 08:36 PM
"Damn. I coulda sworn I hit him that last time." Laughing weakly, he sat up all the same, testing to see if anything was broken.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 08:36 PM
"Kelson my friend, you're a sport through and through." With a laugh rolling from his belly, as though from a man thrice his port, Horace happily picked out a strong wooden stick from the selection. Resting it to the ground he felt the pains from the long walk hinder slightly. He wasn't too old to go under his own power, but sometimes a little extra was a comfort. "A fine thing indeed, helps take the weight off m' knees. A thanks for the brew, I should be staying around Fallcres' for a while, don't be surprised to see me hobble in once in a while."
Bidding his appreciation to the friendly keep Horace made out again into the busy streets, stopping in the open doorway as he did to call back; "And if the briggands are gone by tomorrow, assume I roughed 'em up for ya!

Reynard
2010-02-09, 08:42 PM
Nepphi:

You feel nothing but bruised.

"You're the one who fought Dave, aren't you?" Asks the elf.
ZG:
"Aye, I'll see you around."

Jokes and Keler, see my last post.

nepphi
2010-02-09, 08:45 PM
"I tried. Looks like he won."

He smiled over to the elf, getting up and testing his range of motion.

"Nothing seems broke. I'll get out of your way, let you have the bed back."

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 08:45 PM
Horace made use of his new tool and went onwards, following the river of folks down the road and towards the carnival, now somewhat eager to see and experience the different flavours hat Fallcrest had to offer. The urban life had an appeal to his senses, having spent most of his time off on the roads.

Reynard
2010-02-09, 08:48 PM
Nepphi:

"No, you'll sit on there on the hay and like it. Dave wants to see you. I'll go get him."
ZG:
There seems to be a many popular events, but a magic show and the fights seem the busiest.

nepphi
2010-02-09, 08:49 PM
"Hah. Well, alright, but only since you ask nice."

He sat back down on the hay and stretched, waiting for her to get Dave. Luc was, by nature, very easygoing.

Jokes
2010-02-09, 08:49 PM
Yuri absent mindedly rolls one of the copper pieces over his knuckles as he wades through the crowds. He heads over to Dave and Bruce, knowing the two were always a good pick to double his money.

[Assuming betting on others is allowed, I'll put 6cp on Bruce to win the next fight]

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 08:52 PM
Passing deeper into the hustle and bustle Horace noticed the amount of people around the two key features and pondered for a moment. The allure of the arcane was great for him, but he was more curious about the Champion. It had been long years since his martial days, but even after laying down the sword of the knights Horace appreciated a good brawl, so long as it was justified. Or you could win money on it. "By the Bard, this place is chocked full."

Keler
2010-02-09, 08:52 PM
Clemark heads over to the fight. What can be more fun the watching two men hurt each other.
Heck, maybe theirs even some betting going on. This is just what I need after all that time on the annoying raft.

Reynard
2010-02-09, 08:56 PM
Nepphi:

After a while, the Elf returns with Dave in tow.

"Well, here he is, I don't know why you wanted to see him though."

"Ah lass, that's because you're not a fighter. Well, Luc, that might not seem like it to you, but that was the closest fight I've had in a while."
Jokes:

Dave finishes his fight and leaves the ring, leaving a badly beaten halfling behind. One of his assistants drags the body into the tent that's set up to take care of the fighter's victims. As Bruce gets into the ring, Alea, the Elf who looks after said victims, emerges from the tent and taps Dave on the shoulder. He follows her back into the tent.

Bruce's oppentent, a dwarf, clambers under the fence and takes his position.
((sure, place that bet. I'll roll out the fight))

Reynard
2010-02-09, 09:00 PM
ZG:

As you near the edge of the ring,you can see the fighters: a dwarf and a human. The human seems to be the professional, while the dwarf seems slightly drunk and was egged on by a gaggle of halflings.
Keler:

As you near the edge of the ring,you can see the fighters: a dwarf and a human. The human seems to be the professional, while the dwarf seems slightly drunk and was egged on by a gaggle of halflings.

((Bets are allowed.))

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 09:05 PM
Uncertain but curious all the same Horace came as close as he dared to the rowdy halflings. Watching on as the poor dwarf staggered he made to look for the champion, expecting to see nothing less than a bear of a monster. The caller nearby was taking in bets and he couldn't help but feel a touch sorry for the amount of confident strangers calling out ever increasing numbers in the champtions favour.
"One gold piece on the dwarf!" He called out before he could stop himself, typically his mouth had moved faster than his brain, but the warmth hanging around his neck assured him his insane risk was appreciated by his deity. He also had a fondness for the underdog, and disregarded the odd looks.

Jokes
Yuri looks at Dave chastisingly as the halfling is dragged from the arena. He does smile when a dwarf steps into the ring. This ought to be good, he thinks as he finds someone to take his bet.

nepphi
"You're tougher than you look, Dave. It was a good fight all the same."

He held out a hand to shake, clearly no hard feelings on his side.

Keler
2010-02-09, 09:15 PM
The dwarf looks like he is not going to win but maybe the is still someone willing to bet 5cps against the human

Reynard
2010-02-09, 09:23 PM
Keler.
Someone in the crowd calls out: "One gold piece on the dwarf!"
Jokes:
Someone in the crowd calls out: "One gold piece on the dwarf!"
Nepphi:
Dave takes your hand and shakes it gently, obviously trying not to hurt you.
"It's rare for someone to land a hit on me, or for it to take more than four swings for me to bring them down."

Outside you hear someone call out: "One gold piece on the dwarf!"

Keler
2010-02-09, 09:29 PM
""Ill take that," Clemark shouts back. Anyone taking a bet on the dwarf must just be foolish of just throwing money away.

Jokes
2010-02-09, 09:37 PM
Yuri scratches his chin. A gold piece. A tidy winning to whoever ends up with it. He finds the man and takes him up on the bet.

Reynard
2010-02-09, 09:43 PM
ZG:
Someone in the crowd shouts back: "I'll take that!"
Jokes:
As you head over to him, someone else shouts: "I'll take that"

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-09, 09:48 PM
Taking confidence in his own actions Horace looks around for the one who called out to his offer, raising his walking stick skyward as to hone their attention. His pocket seemed to be growing ever lighter when he reached the towns, but he knew Dwarves all too well, and once broken their pride was a hard thing to mend.
"Aye then lad, step up and we'll do business."

nepphi
2010-02-09, 09:55 PM
"Eh, well you do a good job at it. I may move on to shooting contests next, just for pace."

Jokes
2010-02-09, 09:55 PM
"Huh." Yuri is half relieved at not having to take up the bet. He pats his pocket gently, and decides to simply watch the fight.

Reynard
2010-02-10, 03:21 AM
Keler:
The man who made the bet waves a walking stick in the air.
"Aye then lad, step up and we'll do business."

((This is probably clear to you, but at least one other PC is watching the fight))
Nepphi:
"Well, we're here for a couple of days, maybe we could have a re-match at some point?"

The big man seems eager to get back into the ring.

Jokes:
((This is probably clear to you, but at least on other PC is watching the fight))
rezplz:
As you continue to shadow the Lady Makelhay, she heads over to watch the fights, which seem to be getting very popular.
Freshmeat:
The fights seem to be getting very popular, now with easily the largest crowd in the carnival. From where you are, you can't hear what's going on, but there is a fair bit of stick-, and arm-waving going on.
ZG:
You wave your stick to attract his attention. The fights are getting very busy, easily the busiest attraction in the carnival at the moment.

I'm going to wait for everyone to post actions before the next update. By some fluke, you've all ended up doing pretty much the same thing.

rezplz
2010-02-10, 03:23 AM
rezplz:
You can see from where you are that one of the Carnivals prize fighters is giving some poor farmer a hell of a beating.

Assuming this is still true:

"Hey. Check that out." Nelson looks over to the carnival fighter, frowning. He cracks his knuckles. "Time to earn ourselves a bonus of some kind. Watch my back, I'll go ahead and show you how it's done." He runs over to the fight, one hand on the hilt of his sword, pushing his way through people. "Hey! Hey! Break it up!"

Reynard
2010-02-10, 03:24 AM
Rezplz:
The farmer asked for it, it was a prize fight. And no longer true, that farmer was dragged into the tents a while ago. Check out the my last post.

rezplz
2010-02-10, 03:38 AM
D'oh, ninja'd by the DM. Okay, cool. In that case:

Nelson sighs and shakes his head, watching as the poor farmer gets dragged off. "You know, Terrence, it's always funny to watch the drunks pick off more than they can chew." He chuckles to himself, watching the fighters. Seemed to be growing quite popular. "Wonder if I could take him..." he says, mostly to himself. Didn't really matter anyway, since he was on the clock. Still, he strolls over a bit closer as he patrols, stopping by lady Makelhay. "Afternoon, my lady," he gives her a slight bow, customary and respectful when a guard such as him would be talking to one of her stature. "Everything seems to be going very smoothly so far, wouldn't you say?"

nepphi
2010-02-10, 04:42 AM
"Happy to, if they ever let me out here."

He winked over to the elf as he said it.

ooc - on which note I'm off to bed. it's 5 am and I'm bloody tired!

Freshmeat
2010-02-10, 05:47 AM
Tann'or made his way through the carnival, looking around with keen interest at the attractions all around him. It had been at least two years since he last visited one such fair - perhaps too long ago, all things considered. He felt that carnivals brought out a certain community spirit, with everyone gathering around to play games and enjoy themselves. While not very fond of crowds, Tann'or didn't really mind the hustle and bustle of the city today, instead just wandered around aimlessly, pausing to look at whatever seemed interesting.

There was the good Lady Markelhey, of course, watching a performer display some minor cantrips, although the latter displayed remarkable creativity and skill. Tann'or gave the man a polite nod, but he wasn't sure if his approval had been noticed in the thick crowd.

Up ahead a fight was going on, and Tann'or approached. It wasn't yet clear if this was a drunken brawl gone out of hand or if it was part of a strong man routine. Based on the cheers and cries of the crowd gathered round, it would certainly prove to be a good source of entertainment, if perhaps a bit crude.

Keler
2010-02-10, 09:08 AM
Clemark fishes out a gold and makes his way to the man waving the stick. He makes sure that he keeps a hand on his coin purse, knowing all to well how quickly money can disappear in a large crowd.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-10, 12:38 PM
Reisgning himself to the bed Horace waved his stick to clear a path through the bustles of rowdy halflings and strangers. In truth he couldn't say much for the stumbling dwarf, but aside from his desire to put one positive voice into the mans ear, Horace knew the dwarves arms were almost as strong as their pride.
"What brave man dares to take up an old fools wager?"

Reynard
2010-02-10, 12:54 PM
ZG:

A young human man makes his way over to you, and takes up your offer.

((ZG, meet Keler. You can address spoilers between each other now. But just you two.))
Keler:

You reach the man who's making the big bet, an old human with a walking stick. "What brave man dares take up an old fools wager?"

((Keler, meet ZG. You can address spoilers between each other now. But just you and ZG))

rezplz
2010-02-10, 02:47 PM
((Just making sure that you saw my post, since I didn't see any spoilers addressed to me.))

Reynard
2010-02-10, 02:48 PM
((That's because nothing interesting is happening to you yet.))

rezplz
2010-02-10, 02:57 PM
((what about lady markelhay? Did she respond to me?))

Reynard
2010-02-10, 05:21 PM
rezplz:
((A couple of people have fallen behind the rest of the group, relatively speaking, and we're about to activate plot. As for the Lady Markelhay:))

"As well as can be expected. So, did my husband send you to keep an eye on me, Guardsman?"

Terrance seems to be about to go into shock.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-10, 06:02 PM
(( Just so you know, I'm waiting on Kel to respond since this is likely to be some heavy character interaction taking place. Plus the other fellows are pretty nearby, so best we have the group here before I push it. ))

Keler
2010-02-10, 07:00 PM
"Fool's bet you say? I don't think that dwarf will last more then a few more minutes. But as long as your giving money away ill take it." ((sorry, can only post when I wake up and when I get home))

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-10, 07:09 PM
DM+Keler
The old cleric lowered his stick to his side, the coin running across his knuckles as he eyed over the human before him. Lacking in manners, he thought to himself, but with gusto to spare.
"Well then, we'll see who coughs up the coins when the first man blacks out. Here," He uttered, flicking the coin towards the stranger, "You're so confident, you can hang onto it! Now let's see whether the fortunes are smiling ta'day."

Keler
2010-02-10, 07:32 PM
Clemark catches the coin and puts it into his pocket. This day was getting better and better, free entertain and free money. "Thanks, thats awfully trusting of you. "

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-10, 08:08 PM
Keler+DM
Leaning forward to the tip of his boots Horace Sheoth turned his attention to the ring. It was a jolly sport for certain, though a tad more violent than would seem tasteful- still, drunken commoners and men of the wilderness just loved to get their knuckles dirty, so he could accept it. Taping his fingers to the cane at his wrist he anxiousy waited the moves of the fighters.

(Now waiting on how the fight goes~ Let it shine, DM)

Reynard
2010-02-10, 08:24 PM
((Waiting for Jokes, Nepphi and Freshmeat, then we're off. Oh, yeah that reminds me.))

Nepphi:

"Well, you seem fit enough to me, come outside, Bruce's fight. Sounds like there are some decent bets out there."

"Well, he should be fine, as long as he doesn't get into another fight. You gear is on the table by the exit."

"Great job Ella, now come on lad, lets go see who's brave enough. Maybe they'll win"
Freshmeat:
You mange to find a way around the crowd by skirting the edges of some tents. In the ring, you see a human and a dwarf getting into their places. The dwarf is swaying a little, and is the subject of a song being sang by a gaggle of halflings.
Jokes:
It looks like the fight is about to start, and the dwarf seems to have steadied himself a little.
Rezplz:

The dwarf is starting to seem a little familiar.

((perception check, low DC))

nepphi
2010-02-10, 09:15 PM
Luc got to his feet and pulled his gear on before following Dave along. He seemed not to mind the bruises at all, and even whistled as they set out.

Jokes
2010-02-10, 09:24 PM
Yuri just watches the fight.

rezplz
2010-02-11, 01:54 AM
Perception check: I CAN DO IT THIS TIME!

[roll0]

((Aaah, and that explains it. And of course I don't mean to sound impatient at all. I was just curious. :) ))

For a moment, Nelson looks at the dwarf about to fight with a raised eyebrow. Did he recognize him? He seems familiar to the guard, somehow. To the lady, though, he smiles. "Well... I was instructed to watch over the people in the carnival. You happen to be a person, or so I've heard, and you happen to be at the carnival, so..." he shrugs, hands relaxed at his side. "I suppose he did, in a way." Glancing at the trainee, Nelson gently elbows him in the side, whispering, "Calm yourself down, man. Nothing to be worried about, just doing our jobs, you know?"

Reynard
2010-02-11, 03:18 AM
rezplz:
((Man, what do you have against perception checks?))
The dwarf's identity slips your mind, it must have just been a trick of the light.

((Just waiting for Freshmeat. You may have guessed that the fight isn't the only thing that's about to happen.))

rezplz
2010-02-11, 04:55 AM
((Perception checks killed my parents, stole my identity, ruined my credit score, and SWITCHED MY COFFEE WITH DECAF.))

Freshmeat
2010-02-11, 05:47 AM
Tann'or peers at the two combatants, to see if he recognizes either of them, but will otherwise just wait and watch the fight.

Reynard
2010-02-11, 10:38 AM
Nepphi, read this first:
As you leave the tent, you see that the size of the crowd has massively increased since your fight. Everyone seems to be waiting for it to start, so it shouldn't be long. You follow Dave to the ring, and stand next to him watch the fight.
Jokes, read this first:You can tell from the crowd that the fight is about to start, every one of them is watching the fighters, and none are calling out bets. Dave leave the victim tent and take his place on the ringside. A young human, armed and armored, follows soon after and stands next to him.
Everyone else, read this first:You can tell from the crowd that the fight is about to start, every one of them is watching the fighters, and none are calling out bets. A second of the carnivals fighters, even bigger than the first, leaves one of the tents nearby and take his place on the ringside. A young human, armed and armored, follows soon after and stands next to him.
The Fight:
The two fighters take their positions in the rough middle of the ring, and the dwarf is still a little shaky from drink.

"Are you sure you want to fight, Dwarf? You seem ready to fall any second now."
"Oh, I'm ready lad, I'm ready. You don't get to be a dwarf my age without winning a few drunken brawls."

((I'm going to just make a whole load of rolls here, then edit in a description of what happens. Rolls will be in thread so you don't think I fudged the results.))

Initiative Fighter: [roll0]
Initiative Dwarf: [roll1]

Fighter: To hit: [roll2]
Fighter: Damage: [roll3]
Dwarf: To hit: [roll4]
Dwarf: Damage:[roll5]

The Dwarf lunges forward, but the fighter simply dodges left then delivers a solid blow to the head.

Fighter: To hit: [roll6]
Fighter: Damage: [roll7]
Dwarf: To hit: [roll8]
Dwarf: Damage:[roll9]

The dwarf lashes out with his right fist, and catches the fighter in the stomach, but the fighter gets another solid blow in.

Fighter: To hit: [roll10]
Fighter: Damage: [roll11]
Dwarf: To hit: [roll12]
Dwarf: Damage:[roll13]

The Dwarf follows up and gets another hit in on the fighter, but also takes another hit as well.

Fighter: To hit: [roll14]
Fighter: Damage: [roll15]
Dwarf: To hit: [roll16]
Dwarf: Damage:[roll17]

The dwarf gets yet another shot to the fighters stomach, and the fighters counter goes wide.

Fighter: To hit: [roll18]
Fighter: Damage: [roll19]
Dwarf: To hit: [roll20]
Dwarf: Damage:[roll21]

The fighter gets a shot in, and manages to break the dwarve's combo.

Fighter: To hit: [roll22]
Fighter: Damage: [roll23]
Dwarf: To hit: [roll24]
Dwarf: Damage:[roll25]

Both fighters manage to dodge the others attack.

Reynard
2010-02-11, 10:55 AM
The fight, continued:
Fighter: To hit: [roll0]
Fighter: Damage: [roll1]
Dwarf: To hit: [roll2]
Dwarf: Damage:[roll3]

Both fighters jump forward and score decent hits on their opponent.

Fighter: To hit: [roll4]
Fighter: Damage: [roll5]
Dwarf: To hit: [roll6]
Dwarf: Damage:[roll7]

The fighter, looking worse for wear, gets a hit in, but so does the dwarf.

Fighter: To hit: [roll8]
Fighter: Damage: [roll9]
Dwarf: To hit: [roll10]
Dwarf: Damage:[roll11]

The human is on his last legs, as is the dwarf, and they both fail to hit their targets.

Fighter: To hit: [roll12]
Fighter: Damage: [roll13]
Dwarf: To hit: [roll14]
Dwarf: Damage:[roll15]

The human seems about to win it, but the dwarfs fist makes first contact, and the professional hits the ground. The crowd seems stunned.

((If the human had won initiative, he would have won that fight on that last punch.))
rezplz:
((Roll perception once more to discover the dwarfs identity.))
Jokes/Nepphi: As Bruce hits the floor, Dave is over the fence.
"Ella! Bruce is down!"

The young female elf that helps with the wounded comes flying out of the tent that the bigger fighter had been in.
Everyone but Jokes and Nepphi:As soon as the human fighter hits the floor, the other one jumps into the ring.

"Ella! Bruce is down!"

A young female elf comes flying out of the tent that the bigger fighter had been in.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-11, 11:16 AM
DM and KelerWatching the fight to its whole Horace was stunned to see the little mans peristence against such a larger opponent. The strikes were many and the bout seemed like more a grapple than a straight up brawl.
When the human finally tumbled though and the dwarf left (barely) standing, the Cleric of Sekias sported a warm smugness, a chuckle tickling at his chest. The crowd seemed more than surprised at the outcome, and Horace was only glad they could have a touch of madness in their lives to spice things up.
"As I said, the only thing harder to knock down than a dwarf is their stubborn nature. Hah, you can always rely upon the cavern folk to surprise you."

DM only
( As a good gesture, can I subtly cast Healing Word on the Dwarf now the fight is over? )

Reynard
2010-02-11, 11:25 AM
ZG:
You can do it to either of them, as neither are your enemies. The human needs it more though.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-11, 11:32 AM
( A fair point, even if he does have more base HP at least the Dwarf has some left. In that case, Horace casts Healing Word on the fallen man curing [roll0] points of damage.

Jokes
2010-02-11, 11:48 AM
"Woah." Yuri hadn't seen Bruce lose like that in a long time. He works his way through the crowd to the ring. "Damn, boy, and to think I was going to put money on you."

rezplz
2010-02-11, 11:58 AM
((go go perception roll? [roll0]))

Freshmeat
2010-02-11, 12:01 PM
Tann'or was more than a little surprised. He'd expected the human to win, but as it turned out the dwarf emerged victorious. Pound for pound, it was hard to match their kind as far as sheer tenacity was concerned. The tiefling hoped he'd never have to face one in an all-out brawl like that.

Looking around for a bit, Tann'or waits a while to see if any other entertainment was scheduled. A play or a musical troupe might make for a nice change of pace after all that senseless punching and jabbing, midlly entertaining though it was.

Reynard
2010-02-11, 12:03 PM
rezplz:
After seeing him in action, you remember who the dwarf is. You've never seen him out of uniform, which explains why it took so long for it to come to you (:smallwink:), but seeing in a fight was all it needed. It's Sergeant Murgeddin, the commander of the Wizards Gate.

rezplz
2010-02-11, 12:15 PM
"Terrence. Hey, Terrence. Isn't that sergeant Murgeddin?" Nelson squints his eyes, trying to get a better look. Yes, it did indeed seem to be the sergeant! "Come on, let's go congratulate him on a fight well won." To the lady, he bowes again. "I do apologize, my lady, but we must now leave you. Enjoy the carnival."

He makes his way through the people, waving to the sergeant. "Hey, sarge! Good job on that fight. You had me worried for a little bit there, but nice finish!

Keler
2010-02-11, 06:21 PM
Well that was surly a surprise losing that bet. ''Well damn, that dwarf can sure take some damage. Looks like you one the bet after all.'' Clemark hands over his two gold pieces to the man.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-11, 06:32 PM
Keler
Happily accepting his reward for the risk Horace could hardly believe it himself that the dwarf had nailed the fight, but was happy to see the smaller man triumph. The Halfings certainly seemed stunned as anyone, and he wondered just how many coins those chaps had lost on this fight.
"Well we'll put it down to luck and divine intervention, m'friend. The name is Horace Sheoth, walker of Sekias, and damn proud you didn't try to scarper with my coins! An honest fellow, I like that." Horace complimented in his usual long winded pattern, his silver bears scrathing his hood as he pulled it back across his head. Waiting to see if the fallen man was going to fare through it, he pondered what else the fair would have to offer him.

Keler
2010-02-11, 07:38 PM
I wonder what this man means by a 'walker of Sekias'. A missionary? Perhaps a priest? Would it be rude to ask? Probably not, but even if it is he seems nice enough. "Thank you Horace, my names Clemark. I'm not quite sure I've meet a Walker of Sekias before.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-11, 08:45 PM
Keler
"Aye lad, I can't say I'm too surprised. After all, 'are only two of us walking this earth, that I know of at least." The old cleric tapped the walking stick to his boot before giving it a little twirl, carrying the same broad smile as he slipped the coins into his cloak pocket.
We follow the teachings of Sekias, the God of Madness. Mad he is, but his creed is perfect sense. Beauty and well meaning through the darkest times and acts, complete contrast...but harmony all the same. Only two people know to follow the path, myself, and an ex-Necromancer named Aslan. A good boy, in the service of Coldbrew the Wizard."
The poor man had provoked the ramling of Horace, though through good fortune the clerics curiosity caught hold. "And what does Clemark do, for this world or the next?"

Reynard
2010-02-11, 09:46 PM
rezplz, read this first:

"I think it is, sir. But, is he allowed? Should we tell the capt-"

His last couple of words are drowned out in a fanfare, coming from the north.

"Ah, it appears my husband has decided to make an appearance." Says the Lady Markelhay.
"Mum, has daddy come to fight too?" Squeaks her little girl.
"I doubt it, sweetie."

((I know these aren't the colours that I was using for Terrance or Lady Markelhay, but these are theirs from now on. DM has his reasons.))
Keler/ZG, read this first:Your conversation is cut short by a fanfare coming from the north.
Nepphi/Jokes, read this first:
It seems that there's a cleric in the crowd, for Bruce's condition improves, without any apparent action from either Ella or Dave. As you look for that cleric, however, you hear a fanfare coming from the north.
Freshmeat, read this first:
You hear a fanfare from the north.
Everybody:PLLOOOOOOOTTT!
The crowds turn to the sound of the fanfare, to see which noble decided to announce his presence, and to see if there was any real reason for it.

Eventually, a expensively dressed, but practically so, middle-aged balding man walks onto the stage that the carnivals head magician was using for his display. He looks mildly annoyed at something, but it's hard to tell what. The magician bows, then steps off of the stage.

"Greetings. I imagine most of you already know who I am, but to those who don't: I am Faren Markelhay, the Lord Warden. I apologise, especially to the good men and women who run this carnival, for this unexpected interruption. But something recently came to my attention, and it was decided that this was the quickest way of getting to right people to hear about it."

((Reactions, people. One post each, and we don't move until everyone posts.))

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-11, 10:46 PM
As the fanfare passed by Horace could no longer hear his new aquaintence over the ruccus. Compelled and pulled along by the focus of attention the old man shuffled through the crowd, his eyes meeting the oddly dressed figure and finding the odd interruption somewhat entertaining.
"Now what I wouldn't give for an outfit like that!" His belly laugh rumbled along with the fuss from the crowd. Intently the curious Horace listened in to what the noble had to say, wondering just what could be more impressive than pulling doves from ones sleeve.

Keler
2010-02-11, 10:55 PM
Clemark is now a little confused. Just as he starts to come up with a response to the cleric who seems to follow a bizarre god he had never heard of, a noble of all people comes to a circus to deliver a message to the people. "The Lord Warden! What odd thing happen in this Fallcrest."

rezplz
2010-02-11, 11:49 PM
"Look sharp, Terrence," Nelson whispers, before standing straight at attention. When sir Markelhay announces himself, Nelson dips into a short bow before straightening, hands at his sides as he stands at attention. He does make sure, through his peripheral vision, to keep an eye on everything else - most of his attention, of course, is on Faren. Nelson raises an eyebrow as the man talks, curious. What was so important that he would have to interrupt the carnival?

Jokes
2010-02-12, 12:01 AM
"This better be good," Yuri grumbles, "to interrupt a wizard..."

nepphi
2010-02-12, 01:20 AM
deleted, updating after

Freshmeat
2010-02-12, 05:13 AM
Perching up at the sound of the fanfare, Tann'or decides to seek out it's source in pursuit of more entertainment, until he realizes that it's not part of the carnival. While at first it wasn't entirely clear, now he recognizes the slightly-bombastic introductory music as that heralding the arrival of one of the nobles. Soon he catches sight of the Lord Warden himself, who takes center stage and explains that this isn't a scheduled visit, but apparently a matter of great importance and urgency.
"This can't be good..."

Reynard
2010-02-12, 11:20 AM
Nepphi, read this first:
((Did you read the 'Everybody' spoiler in my last post? If not, please do.))
Everybody:
"Who are these people, you may ask? To put it bluntly, mercenaries. Sell-swords. Adventurers. Whatever you want to call them, I'm looking for those who risk their lives almost daily, in search of riches, fame, sometimes because they think it's the right thing to do."

"There are a number of threats to the people of Fallcrest, and sending the guardsmen to deal with them just isn't possible without weakening the towns defenses enough to let them in. We can't get all of them at once."

"As I'm sure you know, the south wall is still not repaired, and there are Goblins in Harken forest, although the elves are dealing with them. But there are also Kobolds to the West, in the Cloak Wood, and bandits to the east, along the trade road, preying on our merchants and farmers and on random travelers."

"So, I'm looking for people who want to help me deal with these threats. If you want to know more, come to the Moonstone Keep this evening, where I will try to meet any prospective heroes."

Reynard
2010-02-12, 01:34 PM
((Because I'm hopeless, and forgot:))

"Again, sorry for disturbing the carnival, I'll let you get back to the festivities."

The crowd is now buzzing with excitement, although there are a few murmurs about the threats, and why the guards can't deal with them.

((And just because this isn't spoiler'd, don't start posting without them yet. Oh, and ZG/Keler? You've split up now.))

nepphi
2010-02-12, 02:15 PM
Well that had been interesting. Still, it was the sort of thing he'd come to the fair for. Opportunity knocked many times, it seemed. Luc just smiled and made mental arrangements to be there that evening.

rezplz
2010-02-12, 05:49 PM
"Hm... this sounds like what I've been looking for." Nelson scratches his chin, thinking for a bit. It would be risky - he would actually be going out and fighting things to the death, rather than sitting around in case something happened. But with higher risk comes higher rewards - and hopefully, he would get enough money eventually to pay some priest to bring his wife back... "It's very possible that you're gonna have to get yourself a new partner pretty soon, Terrence."

Freshmeat
2010-02-12, 06:24 PM
A strange moment to speak of all the troubles Fallcrest faces... Tann'or thinks to himself. Most people came here to enjoy the fair, not to get depressed.

Still, the Warden had a point. It wasn't until he'd actually listed all of the problems Fallcrest was up against that it became clear that one couldn't reasonably expect the guardsmen to do all the legwork on their own. At least not until more men were recruited. Enlisting the help of adventurers in the meantime was a good call. And it needn't limit itself to just adventurer's - the defense of Fallcrest was not merely the duty of the town's guard, but of every able man and woman indeed.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-12, 06:38 PM
As the speaker resigned the post on the stage Horace gave a light applause, though none of the others had the same impulse. The crowd had become a slur of thought and assumption, but as it stood, the prospect was appealing. For all that Sheoth despised in the corruption in the land such an opportunity would be a shining invitation- though as yet, he had not committed himself to the duties. Best to make the most of the town and make his decision come evening.
"Suppose I came into town on the busy season. Ah, so much work to be done... I wonder where that wizard wandered?" The mutters fell to no ones ears as he shuffled through the crowd, passively making his way stageward and following the flow of the carnival.

Reynard
2010-02-12, 06:46 PM
Neppi:
((You're free to say 'time-skip', if you want, or you can try and find out more about the threats, and/or find other possible jobs. Or prat about in the carnival. It's up to you.))
Rezplz:

"What do you mean, sir?"

Before you can reply, you see Sergeant Thurmina bearing down on you.

"Shear? The Captain's got something to talk to you about. Don't ask what, just get the hells up there."
Freshmeat:
Before you can make up your mind what to do next, you hear a familiar, if unwelcome, voice behind you.
"Hey, what are you still doing here? It's almost midday"
Narash'ka is standing right behind you.
ZG:
((You're free to say 'time-skip', if you want, or you can try and find out more about the threats, and/or find other possible jobs. Or prat about in the carnival. It's up to you.))
Keler:

Keler
2010-02-12, 07:01 PM
It seems like an interesting proposal. In particular the part about riches and fame. After all, the Lord Warden did not make it seem to dangerous. Although Clemark never seen a goblin or Kobold, he was confidant that he could take on a bandit or two. And if there an equal threat, how dangerous can it be? With his mind made up, Clemark decides to he will go over to this Moonstone Keep in the evening. Until then he will see what else the carnival has to offer. -time skip-

Freshmeat
2010-02-12, 07:08 PM
"My shift doesn't start until several hours, Narash'ka. I've still got some time to kill and there's plenty more here to see at the carnival." Tann'or remarks dryly but more-or-less unconfrontational.

(this is assuming that it has only been one or two hours since I left Orest's shop)

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-12, 07:14 PM
Taking in the sights and sounds of the carnival Horace soon grew tired of the large crowds and saught refuge elsewhere. Stopping by the highstreets he roamed, peering into the windows of stores, parlors and places of rest through the market district. Seeking out somewhere he might purchase or seek out information he patrolled, relieved of the privacy away from the mania.

( Is there anything of interest in the area, or would a time skip serve better purpose to find out more? )

rezplz
2010-02-12, 07:20 PM
"Right away, sir," said Nelson, smart enough to simply give a quick salute to the sergeant to show that he understood. Still, he was obviously puzzled - he had always been careful when he slipped out the inside info, and he hadn't done that since his wife passed away... what could be going on?

"Well, I guess since you're still my partner, you're stuck with me for whatever this is. Sorry buddy." With Terrance in tow, Nelson hussles off towards the barracks to talk to the captain.

Reynard
2010-02-12, 07:30 PM
Freshmeat:

"Really? He gave you the morning off? why?...Come with me, I want to show you something."

((You assume correctly.))
ZG:
There are a couple places were you could find out more, and If you time-skip you'll have to wait for the others.
rezplz:
"Hold on there Oaks, I've got something for you to do as well."

"Uh, yes mam?"

"It's always 'Sir' to superior officers, Oaks. Well, what are you waiting for, Shear, get to the barracks. I promise I won't eat your partner."

rezplz
2010-02-12, 07:42 PM
"Well, what do you know, terrance. You get to be useful! And I sure hope you won't eat him, he's a pretty good errand boy when it's needed. I'd hate to train another one." with a friendly smile, he left, heading for the barracks by himself.

Freshmeat
2010-02-12, 07:50 PM
"Uhh... okay." Tann'or says, wondering what Narash'ka is driving at. This seemed very unlike her.

Reynard
2010-02-12, 07:59 PM
rezplz:

After about an hour, you arrive at the Guard Barracks, in Moonstone Keep. As you enter, Langley, the Halfling who keeps track on the guards informants, calls out to you.

"Hey, Nelson, Why you up here? Aren't you supposed to be at the Market Green?"
Freshmeat:
Narash'ka leads you south out of the Green, towards the Blue Moon. But just as you're thinking that that's where she is taking you, she turns right off of the road and follows the stream.

She's silent the whole time.

rezplz
2010-02-12, 08:06 PM
"Yeah, but Thurmina told me that the captain needed me for something. Know where he is?"

Freshmeat
2010-02-12, 08:15 PM
As the pair of tieflings walk on, Tann'or begins to grow a little suspicious of Narash'ka. She did have an open dislike for him, so he wouldn't put it past her to try something underhanded. The fact that they were leaving the road and getting to a less populated area made that possibility all the more likely. While them going to the Blue Moon made sense at first, now that it was clear that that wasn't where Narash'ka wanted to go made him reconsider her motives.

"So," he says, trying to appear jovial but in fact more concerned with getting a response from her so he could gauge her reaction. "What is it you wanted me to see?"

Insight (taking 10 for 17)
Perception (taking 10 for 12)

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-12, 08:22 PM
Horace Sheoth marches the streets whistling a tune he was making up as he strolled, stopping outside various locations to inspect closer. Unsure of what he was looking for the cleric pondered finding a local authority or perhaps a station of the guards where he might discover more of the troubles in this town, but thought differently when he came upon another of Fallcrest's downtrodden civilians perching to the side of the street. Considering local lore to be his best option, or at least the one to jump out at him first, the divine follower tried to make talk with one of the lower end commoners from the street.
"If you've lived these roads as long as you've seemed to," he began, tapping the ground with his stick, "Then perhaps you could inform me what kind of troubles have gotten the Kings men in such a fussle!"

Reynard
2010-02-12, 08:39 PM
Rezplz:
"He's where he usually is, his office. Thurmina, you say? You poor bastard, I wonder what she has in store for you?."
Freshmeat:
Her body language seems to indicate that she's thinking about something other than her destination, or where she's putting her feet, due to the way they sometimes find loose ground, causing her to stumble slightly.

"You'll see."

You are now walking upstream along the Moonwash, past a large portion of the city that still hasn't been rebuilt. Eventually, you get to the small pool at the bottom of the waterfall, which currently has a number of children splashing and playing in it.

"One of these kids took something from the shop, I wan't you to help me get it back."
ZG:
"Yah tryin to be funny? Yah heard him din't yah? "

((I appologize for that accent.))

Freshmeat
2010-02-12, 09:01 PM
"These are just children. I don't mean any offense, but I fail to see how you'd need my help with this."

"Well, I'm here now anyway, I guess. Might as well see what it's all about."
Tann'or leans in a little closer to take a proper look at the children in the distance, to see if they were holding something in particular.

"You're sure that it's one of those children right?, and that they actually took something? Come to think of it, what was taken from the shop?"

Reynard
2010-02-12, 09:12 PM
Freshmeat:

"Well, um. They...they didn't actually take it from the shop...they...they took it from me."

She looks guiltily at her feet.

"Then they threw it in the pond. And they won't let me near it. You've go to help, Uncle will be so mad."

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-12, 10:24 PM
"I'd say I ain't. Regulars of the town don't tend to coat such problems for favours, they tell it straight. Fallcrest really in so much need they can't handle all this'un themselves?"
Brushing off the subject with a hand Horace made a dissatisfied grunting sound and plodded on. He'd seen many a coy mission that could have been handled by any city authority, how bad could a few bandits be?
Still, he was occupying the town for a while before heading due west, but for the while he was just another civilian on the streets. If Horace wanted answers he figured there was only one place to stop by, the castle itself.

Jokes
2010-02-12, 11:27 PM
Yuri decides to attend the meeting, mostly out of curiosity. Adventurers always appealed to him, so hanging around a few for an evening should be interesting.

Reynard
2010-02-12, 11:32 PM
ZG/Jokes:

I assume you are both choosing the 'time-skip' option?

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-12, 11:40 PM
( I was considering marching on into the castle, but that may not be the best idea given...circumstances. Unless you think it would be safe enough to go there for information fishing.
Since I'll be in the town for a while either way, I'll roll a streetwise check for overhearing any extra details on the street. Horace does like to pester. )

[roll0]

Jokes
2010-02-12, 11:42 PM
ZG/Jokes:

I assume you are both choosing the 'time-skip' option?

Yeah. I don't want Yuri distracted by flashy lights and forget about it all :P

nepphi
2010-02-13, 02:24 AM
ooc - sorry. Time skip please. Luc would go to the gathering site. I lost power for much of the day, and I'm very tired.

rezplz
2010-02-13, 04:32 AM
"Nothing too life-threatening, I hope." Nelson grinned, before he made his way to the captain's office. He knocked on the door. "Sir? You wanted to see me?"

Freshmeat
2010-02-13, 08:53 AM
"Hm, alright. Let's take a closer look." Tann'or says with a confused frown. Dealing with children wasn't exactly his cup of tea.

((OOC: just how old is Narash'ka? I've been thinking she was an adult, but now I get the impression she's more or less a teenager))

Tann'or walks up to the pond to see if anything is lying inside, but tries not to bother the children just yet, unless they really do look like they're up to misschief.

Reynard
2010-02-13, 11:31 AM
rezplz:

"Yes, Shear, come in."

As you open the door and enter the room, you notice that the captain already has a visitor; a plainly dressed man with thick gray hair.

"Nice of you to join us, this is Mr Mapping, a representative from the Lord Warden." He says, gesturing to the guest.

"It's good to meet you, Guardsman Shear." He says, holding out his hand.

"He might have a...special job for you."
Freshmeat:

As you near the pond, the children begin to call out abuse to the pair of you, mocking your heritage. It's hard to tell with all the splashing water, but you think you can see something lodged in the rocks at the bottom of the pool.

((It's about 4-5 feet deep. And Narash'ka is about 17-18, and tries to act mature around adults. She's not very good at it.))

Freshmeat
2010-02-13, 12:01 PM
"Hm, yes. I see what you mean. Immature brats, but at the end of the day they're still half our size."

Moving closer to the pool, Tann'or snaps his fingers to create a small flaming ball as a display of his powers, and then addresses the children in front of him.
"Stand aside or you'll be smelling like rotten eggs and wearing pink ribbons in your hair for the rest of the day."
Intimidate: [roll0]

If they stand aside, Tann'or will grab the object in the water with a mage hand spell. (no self-respecting wizard would allow his clothes to get wet!)

Reynard
2010-02-13, 12:23 PM
Freshmeat:
The children run for it, screaming insults back at you.

As the stolen item is dragged above the surface of the pond, you get a better look at it. It's a book, but it appears undamaged by the water.

"That's it! That's what they took!"

rezplz
2010-02-13, 02:23 PM
"A special assignment, you say?" Nelson raises an eyebrow - true, he was planning on leaving that night for whatever mercenary work Faren Markelhay was talking about... but this had potential. He extends his hand, taking Mr. Mapping's and shaking it. "I wonder, does this have anything to do with sir Markelhay's little announcement just now?"

Reynard
2010-02-13, 02:29 PM
Rezplz:

"Ah, you heard about that? Yes, it does have something to do with that. May I?"

The last is directed at the captain, who nods his head, then gets up and leaves the room.

"Well, the thing is, Lord Markelhay has decided that any adventurers are going to need supervision, to make sure they actually do what they're told to, and that they don't exaggerate or hide anything."

rezplz
2010-02-13, 02:47 PM
After a moment, Nelson gives an understanding smile. "And you want me to go with them to keep them in line?" He nods. "That sounds like something I can do. Will I be going undercover, or are they going to know I'm a guard?"

Reynard
2010-02-13, 03:07 PM
ZG:
((Sorry, I've only just noticed your last post :smallredface:))

You hear word that the Dwarven blacksmith in low town lost a delivery to the kobolds, and is eager to get it back.
rezplz:
"There's no need for deception here, or so the Lord Warden says, you'll be official. Mostly, your job is to make sure they don't, for example, claim they killed 20 kobolds instead of just 10, especially at 10 gold pieces per kobold."

rezplz
2010-02-13, 03:13 PM
((Hmmmm, maaayybe I'll want to get trained in bluff then. ;) ))

"Right," he says, nodding his head. "So I join these guys in their little adventures, keep them in line, and make sure they don't inflate their kill counts. And of course, I get my fair share of rewards as if I was a standard member of their group, I assume. Sounds good - I'll do it."

Reynard
2010-02-13, 03:44 PM
rezplz

((I guessed you might think of that. Remember, if you fail, there will be consequences.))

"Yes, you'll get your share of any spoils, on top of a bonus from us for doing your job. If you try and con us out of extra gold...well, you'll lose your job for one."

"Anyway, I'm glad you're accepting. Your shift isn't supposed to end untill midday, correct? Well, you have the rest of the day off. Just remember to get here before the mercenaries do."

rezplz
2010-02-13, 04:01 PM
((But of course! Wouldn't have it any other way.))

"Right." With a salute, he headed towards the door. "I'll be back later."

Nelson then, since he's got the rest of the day off, goes towards the nearest bar/inn and hangs out there for a while. Once it's an hour and a half before the mercenaries are supposed to meet at the keep, he'll head back, planning on getting there an hour early.

Reynard
2010-02-13, 04:51 PM
rezplz:

((Time-skip, then? What about your wife and such?))

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-13, 04:54 PM
( Ah well, we are all of us human- or something like that.)

Hearing the rumours of the unfortunate Dwarven smith Horace spent some time harrassing local guards until he found the direction he was looking for- the street of low town where the blacksmith lay. Checking the position of the sun this humble clerik shuffled on into the lower reaches of the small metropolis. He had rarely witnessed a kobold, but it was certainly nothing he could not handle, and every man has to eat.

rezplz
2010-02-13, 04:57 PM
((Oh yeah. I just figured that people would be impatient and want to move on, but visiting the wife sounds good.))

In the time that past, he realized that there was a chance he might not come back. Taking a deep breath, his cheer diminished as he ventured to the catacombs, making his way to the grave he knew well.

Assuming everything is in place:

He kneels at the grave, a half smile on his face. "I've found an opportunity, Hellen. Lord Markelhay's looking for mercenaries to go out into the world. There's a lot of risk... but the pay's great!" He laughs for a bit, brushing some dust off of her grave. "It shouldn't take too long, Hellen. I'll get the money I need to bring you back. But if I don't make it..." he sighs, looking down, hands clasped as he searched for words. "Well... I can only hope that we'll be in the same after life. But, one way or another, I promise you - I will see you again."

Reynard
2010-02-13, 05:40 PM
Keler:

Keler, did you see this?

rezplz:

I'll just have time skip from here then> If the answer's yes, don't respond.

Keler
2010-02-13, 07:12 PM
Yes, I had time skip at the end of my last post.

Freshmeat
2010-02-13, 09:37 PM
Tann'or glances at the title of the book before handing it to Narash'ka.

"Any idea why they took this book in particular?"

Reynard
2010-02-13, 09:45 PM
Freshmeat:

There is nothing on the cover except two minor runes, one of warding, and one of binding.

"It's mine, I was writing in it. Can I have it back? And please don't tell my uncle."

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-13, 09:48 PM
( So... am I forgotten again, or is this deliberate? >.> )

Freshmeat
2010-02-13, 10:11 PM
"Fair enough, though you might want to keep a better eye on this spellbook. Magic wards may protect against normal wear and tear and a few cantrips, but simply losing it is almost just as bad." Trying not to sound too condescending, Tann'or gives the book back to Narash'ka.

"But no worries. All's well that ends well, I suppose."

Reynard
2010-02-13, 10:20 PM
ZG:

((Ah, very sorry, I missed your last post, it was the very end of page 6. Blame rezplz. I'm making something that should make up for it.))

The sign above the door reads 'Teldorthan’s Arms'

As you enter the smithy, you see an old dwarf with a pipe in his mouth overseeing his apprentices; three dwarves, a human, and a halfling. On tables, and racked op on the walls, are various weapons, all sealed in their scabbards with wax. There are also a small number of armour stands with chain and scale currently on display.

As you enter, the elderly Dwarf turns to you.
"Hello there, sir, what can I do for you today?"
Freshmeat:

"Uh...Thanks...Thank you, Tann'or. I hope those kids don't come back. I haven't really practiced much, and it's hard for me to do the sort of thing you did. You know, with the fire?"

She takes the book, starts to walk north along the base of the bluff. After a few feet, she stops and turns.

"Well, aren't you going to make sure I get home alright? Those kids are just going to get their brothers or fathers to come after us."

((You can say TIME SKIP here, if you want.))

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-13, 10:47 PM
Coming in through the establishment doors Horace tucked down his hood, bright eyes dancing across the various crafted tools and a clear admiring look upon his face. After a period of drinking in the scene, curious eyes no doubt waiting on the stranger, he looked to the eldest dwarf and let out a sudden chuckle.
"Ah, marvelous evening to you 'Smith. A fine establishment you have, I should take it you are Teldorthan?" With a small boy the cleric passed into the blacksmith's shop, now content to focus on the gathering of people bustling about inside. "My name is Horace Sheoth, a Cleric of... greater distance. I've not been in Fallcrest long but word of your troubles were quick to reach me, what might you tell me about this lost shipment of yours?"

( Diplomacy Roll [in case he thinks I'm just after his loot] [roll0] )

Scratching his beard the Cleric noticed a shortsword hanging upon the wall, wishing he had not neglected his training in the martial skills of blade after he left the kingdoms in the east. "I tried my hand at smithing once, always wished I had the time to perfect it."

EDIT: (Critical fail! xD Oh good lord, why do D20's hate me?
"My, that's a mighty ELVEN looking pipe you have there!" )

Freshmeat
2010-02-13, 10:52 PM
"Thanks", now there's something I thought I'd never hear her say. Here's to hoping she learned something today about being a little more careful with her stuff and a little more polite to people whose help she may need one day.

Offering her a wry smile, Tann'or nods ever so slightly and walks back towards the road they came from.
"All right, come with me and I'll take you home."

((since I don't think I'll be doing anything important once I've done that, I'm okay with a time skip))

Reynard
2010-02-13, 11:04 PM
ZG:

"Well, I suppose you heard the Lords announcement? Aye, word of the reached me, even though I haven't left my shop.

"Well, I had a shipment coming in, a shipment that included a very rare piece of dragon skin. I was going to make it into a nice set of scale mail, but the damnable kobold raided the caravan."

He sighs and rests his pipe on the table.

"I suppose that they're worshiping the damn thing now."

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-13, 11:15 PM
"A deliver of Dragon Skin, y'say? No wonder you've been in such haste to get it back, worth a prettier penny than any I've seen." The dirtied state of Horace clothes were evidence enough he was not a fortune carrying traveller, which was the likely cause for him not encountering any such kobolds or bandits on his way into the town.
"The guards in Fallcrest have their hands full with their own troubles, if you need rely on outside help, then consider my arms your tools, Dwarf. If we're to do anything about the problems in this town," Horace kicked his cane and twirling it in stride, eliminating any sign that he was crippled to walk, "Best to start somewhere!"

Reynard
2010-02-14, 12:30 AM
ZG:

"Aye, you're right there. Is your son the adventuring type? Look, if he's not busy, mention it to him, alright? I'd like that dragon skin, and there's a reward to whoever brings it back to me. Now if you'll excuse me, the new boy just quenched that sword much too early."

With that, he strides, at least as much as it is possible for a dwarf to stride, towards the human and starts to berate him.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-14, 12:46 AM
Taken aback by the Dwarves presumption Horace felt himself grow more melancholy than angered, plotting his cane once more to the ground before leaning upon it more dependently than before. Without an immediate reply the cleric took his mental notes and passed back towards the doors, sparking a quick point of interest before calling back; "Anything else you might tell me about the band of kobolts you've been a'hunting for?" Towards the dwarf scolding his students of the hammer.
(Since others are evidently taking a time skip, just tell me if it's more convinient if I do the same after getting this side quest)

Reynard
2010-02-14, 12:52 AM
ZG

((Technically you've already got it. ;) ))

Okay, everyone is at the same stage now.

I'm just finishing a little project, so expect an update later *checks clock* today.

Reynard
2010-02-14, 01:22 AM
Because I was bored, and wanted to practice:

Rezplz:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4355713524_f1f8e0a6d4_o.png
Nepphi:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4354967929_ba62984b71_o.png
ZG:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2769/4354967967_10dcce9792_o.png
Freshmeat:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4355713668_25bdbcf297_o.png
Jokes:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4355713758_6302e53daf_o.png
Because you didn't put much of a description, I made him blond.
Keler:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4354968153_d5069b1c87_o.png

nepphi
2010-02-14, 01:28 AM
OOC - That is wonderful! Though maybe you should have given him a black eye, eh? ;) seriously though, thanks so much man, this is a great avatar for the game.

Oh, I don't think I caught whatever update I was supposed to read after the time skip...help?

Reynard
2010-02-14, 01:32 AM
Don't worry, you haven't missed anything. Just people getting to a point where they felt happy to time skip.

Reynard
2010-02-14, 08:58 AM
Rezplz, read this first:
You arrive back at the barracks about half an hour early, to be on the safe side, but already there's a sizable crowd outside the entrance to the Lords Hall. You make your way to the captains office to double check your orders.

"Hmm?" He says, looking up. "Oh, hello Shear. You're a bit early. Although, so's the crowd. Get into your uniform, then, and polish it a bit. Make the right impression, y'know?"
Everybody except rezplz:

You decided to try and beat the rush to the Keep, but have found yourself part of a decent-sized crowd of people who are waiting, and not very patiently, for the meeting to begin.

All around you are mercenaries, thugs, sell-swords, every kind of person who's ever done anything slightly dangerous for money or for fun.

((If you'd like to know the reason for the delay, I've been mapping.))

Keler
2010-02-14, 01:33 PM
"Him, thats quite a few more people interested then I would have guest. Knew I should have sooner," murmurs Clemark. He takes a moment to see if there are any who appear more professional than the mercenaries, thugs, and sell-swords. ((Edit: Great avatar!))

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-14, 05:06 PM
Striding through the crowd, already spilling over even at the early hour, Horace directed his attention over each band that passed.Spry, daring heroes by the barrel and nigh a face that didn't repeat itself a hundred times over among them. Try as he did to spot someone of significance all he met with were mercenaries hoping to snag the prize.
"Swords by the saddlebag! Maces by the many and bows by the bounty, how 'as Fallcrest suffered so much plunder with so many adventurers on hand?" He muttered in wonder, stepping through the tides of people and wandering, rather hopelessly, for the assembly point. He could only imagine the state of this place had he arrived some minutes later than the announced time...

Freshmeat
2010-02-14, 05:27 PM
((Nice work there, Reynard. Really cool. :smallsmile:))

Despite the prevalent feeling of boredom and occassional mutterings of "how long is this going to take?" Tann'or waits patiently until the Warden arrives, keeping his eyes for open for anyone he might recognize. So far, no one. Only a few thugs of ill repute from Lowtown looking to make a quick buck. As more adventurers arrive, some of them clearly experienced with this kind of thing, it dawns on the wizard that this just be a little out his league.
Still, now that he was here, the least he could do was hear out the Warden's plan. Besides, what point was there in studying magic if one didn't get to use it in times of need?

rezplz
2010-02-14, 05:57 PM
"Right away sir," Nelson nods, and gives a quick salute before he goes about getting his things in order. He gets his uniform on, and spends about fifteen minutes making sure that he polishes everything to a shine. He then waits in the room that these so-called 'adventurers' were supposed to meet in, standing straight, proud, and at attention at the back wall.

((That avatar's looking great! Now it's gonna be a tough decision to use that one, or one that one of my other buddies made for me.))

nepphi
2010-02-15, 03:10 PM
Luc was among the crowd, waiting patiently for things to begin, his equipment hung around his slender frame comfortably. Never a bad idea to try and get into a noble's good graces.

Jokes
2010-02-15, 09:22 PM
Yuri decides to whittle away the time by doing card tricks for the other adventurers.

Reynard
2010-02-16, 04:29 AM
rezplz, read this first:

Even though it's open to all one day a week, this is the first time that you've actually been in the Lord Wardens Hall. The stone walls are only adorned with a few tapestries, and the floor has a single long carpet that reaches from the main door to the throne. The hall is around fifty feet long, twenty feet wide. The Lord Wardens throne is a pretty simple one made of wood, with soft red leather padding.

As you wait in the lords hall, five more guardsmen enter and take places in front of Lord Markelhays chair, so you join them. about five minutes later, the Lord Warden himself enters and takes his seat. Then the door opens, and the mercanaries, sell-swords, adventurers and other hopefuls enter.

They make their way to a spot about ten feet away from you, a couple eying the guards nervously.
Everyone except rezplz, read this first:
A quick head count reveals that there are around twenty other prospective heroes waiting for the audience with the Lord Warden, and most of them seem to have came in groups of five and six. People are starting to get impatient, but just as it looks like things might boil over, the doors open.

The stone walls of the hall are only adorned with a few, rather simple, tapestries, and the floor has a single long carpet that reaches from the main door to the throne. The hall is around fifty feet long, twenty feet wide. The Lord Warden sits on his throne at the other end of the hall, in front of which six Fallcrest guardsmen stand to attention.

As a group, you move up the hall, coming to a halt just short of the line of guards, a few members of the group keeping a watchful eye on them.
Now, everybody: Dance! Dance! Dance!
Lord Markelhay addresses the hopeful heroes:
"Thank you. I honestly did not expect this many people to turn up, but thank you, all of you. Now, to buisness. I assume you're all in your own groups? Could you divide yourselves into them please, it makes things so much easier. If you came alone, well then you must be extremely confident."
Rezplz:
The big group splits into four smaller ones, but one of these groups is less a group and more five people, four humans and a teifling, who look like they came in by themselves.
Freshmeat:
The big group splits into four smaller ones, but, apart from you, there are four humans who don't, who obviously came by themselves.
Everyone but rezplz and Freshmeat:The big group splits into four smaller ones, but, apart from you, there are three humans and a teifling who don't, who obviously came by themselves.

Keler
2010-02-16, 08:40 AM
((ooc:Assuming that were mostly together should we stop using spoiler tags?))

rezplz
2010-02-16, 10:03 AM
Nelson chuckles as he sees a few of the people eyeing the guards, him included, nervously. For a few laughs, he decided to stare back at them, acting like he knew something about the various sell-swords. When the mercenaries divided into groups, he ceased his fun, deciding instead to size up the various group. There was one "group" of individuals, who he assumed would be paired together for convenience's sake, which included a tiefling. As far as he could tell, they didn't seem to know each other, yet they also seemed, on the average, more competent than the rest of the larger group. Interesting.

Reynard
2010-02-16, 10:15 AM
@ Keler: That's right, you're all in the same room, so no need for spoilers. Except for things like internal thoughts of stuff you'd rather the other players didn't know. You can address them to each other as well.

Jokes
2010-02-16, 11:53 AM
A young man seems to center himself amidst those who don't seem to have a group. He is dressed probably the most ostentatiously of those in the room, his clothes brimming with colour; purples, greens and yellows. He is holding a deck of cards in one hand and a confused look on his face. "I..." he stammers, looking over at a large looking man in one of the groups, "I seem to have lost your card." He looks through the deck nervously, shaking his head. "No, no, no. It's not here." He bites at his lip, then smacks his forehead. "Oh, of course, I don't have it, because it's your card. Check your pocket." The man does so, and slowly pulls out a card. "Was that your card?" The man nods. "The one you shuffled back into my deck?" He nods again. "Thank-you, you've been great, remember to check out the Ballantz Brothers tomorrow before they head out of town, they have even me rubbing my eyes in disbelief sometimes."

He begins to leave the room; he's had his fun for the day, but there is something about one of the people that draws him back in, his curiosity getting the better of him. He sidles up to the tiefling, narrowing his eyes. "Now I've seen a lot of things, but you... you are new to me." He seems to have that kind of reverence a cat has when it encounters a bug. "You'd go great in my troupe, people would flock to see you..." He begins a stream of non-intelligible sentences, half of which aren't in common. He shakes himself from his excitement. "Forgive me, I'm Yuri, I'm only here because I was bored."

@anyone who can speak draconic:
You can hear rushed references to goats and lizards amidst Yuri's rushed speaking.

Freshmeat
2010-02-16, 03:09 PM
The tiefling, an adult male dressed in fine green robes, stands out a little in the crowd, not solely because of his horns and slightly deformed feet, but because of his rather rigid composure and mystical appearance. An orb, alternating between various shades of green, purple and red, hovers around him, and it's plain to see he is some sort of wizard.

As Yuri approaches him, he stammers a little, rather surprised at the request to join some sort of carnival troupe, but quickly finds his words again.
"I'm afraid I'm not cut out for a life of showmanship, my good sir. My name is Tann'or Katasqa, a resident of this fine city." he adds with a slight touch of pride in his voice.

"I take it you are part of the carnival that arrived in town last night? I'm somewhat surprised you would leave so quickly. I get the impression that things are about to get very interesting around here."

Keler
2010-02-16, 08:56 PM
A man wearing typical leather armor watches as the adventures break into groups hoping to find an opening. He doesn't seem to do much but observe the crowd until he spots a cleric with a walking stick. "Horace, so you decided to become a hero of Fallcrest to, eh" he jokes.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-16, 09:06 PM
At first Horace had been disillusioned by the various bands who had been tied to one another through their past ventures. The laws of the land demanded the heroes to come in units, something Horace did not possess in his past travels as a lone cleric between the villages to the east. Observing a spurring conversation between a colourfully dressed man and a Tiefling he heard a familiar jab address him from behind. Both surprised and delighted he recognised a roughly dressed human from the carnival and a relieved grin pulled at his lips.
"Clemance!" He cried, arms wide and happy to see a face in the crowd that wasn't foreign to him. Breaking off from the bustle he was quick to tap his temple and try correcting himself. "No, Clarence." Horace nodded, coming forth to shake his hand. "Aye, I imagined Fallcrest would be a slow hurdle to cross for making coins, but this seems to be the best bet I've come across- other than gambling, that is! And yourself lad, glad to see you're putting that smart mouth to good use here." The man of Sekius paused for a moment before rapping his stick against the ground and crying; "Clemark!"

Keler
2010-02-17, 12:24 AM
Clemark shakes Horace's hand and half forces a laugh, partly annoyed and partly amused at the old clerics' manner of speaking. "An interesting band of heroes we have here," he says nodding at the tiefling and the brightly dressed man.

nepphi
2010-02-17, 08:55 AM
Hearing various of the folk organizing into groups, Luc made his way to gentleman speaking about heroes.

"If I could be bold enough to interrupt...Clemence, was it? I happen to be a fair hand at scouting, if you're looking for a pair of keen eyes."

Reynard
2010-02-17, 04:52 PM
"Hmm, and if I could be bold enough, can we get down to business?" Lord Markelhay interrupts.

"Very well, here is a more detailed description of how much trouble we're in.

"First, the south wall. Harken forest has always had Goblins, and for the most part we've been able to deal with them easily, especially with the help of both Harkenwold and the Woodsinger Elves. Recently, though, we've received word from the Elves that either the Goblins numbers are increasing, or that they're becoming more organised. Neither of these things are good."

"Goblins? That it for the south wall? We can take 'em no problem." Boasts one of the leaders of the other groups.

"There have been reports that something has taken over Kalton manor. Possibly a very bad something, given the timings of the reports. Once a month. Guess which stage of the moon."

"Oh."

"We haven't had anyone brave enough to go check it out and so we don't know for certain. But, you know, always expect the worst."

"Secondly, the East. Kobold Hall. Formerly a manor that belonged to a minor noble, it was ruined during the war, and has been abandoned for nearly a century. It's now home to a decent-sized band of Kobolds who have been preying on merchant traffic on the Kings Road. They weren't really a threat until recently, and I'd like to know what has made them more successful, and for it to be removed."

"Now thirdly, the West. The trade road. A group of bandits have taken over the small keep of Raven Roost and are attacking merchants along the road. We don't know much about them, apart from their location, but they need to be removed."

"And last, the north. All that we've got here are rumours of something wandering around the Grey Downs."

"Before we decide who goes where, lets go over one last stipulation. One these guardsmen you see before you will be accompanying you on your quest. Both to help you out and to keep an eye on you. They will make sure you don't try and exaggerate your claims, or even that you don't just hang around a bar for a few days then come back claiming victory. And if they get killed you don't get paid. They're not getting paid for this, it's voluntary, so they get an equal share of any loot."

"Any questions?"

"Yeah, ain't you heard of 'trust'?"

"None have you have earned it yet."

"Anything else?"

Keler
2010-02-17, 09:38 PM
Clemark decides to ask what he considers to be the most important question, "How much are we going to get paid?"

Reynard
2010-02-17, 09:54 PM
"That's an important question."

"It depends on the job. Going up to the Grey Downs seems to be the safest, and so doesn't pay as well, but the possible werewolf nest could be very dangerous. Once you've been given your job, you'll be told how much it'll pay."

"How are we going to divide the jobs between us?"

"Fairest option: pulling straws. There are five jobs, but only four groups. Please send up someone to pick out the straw."

"Me first."

[roll0]

"Which job is that?"
-----------------------
((He takes the middle one))
"That's the Bandit camp job. Go though there, and you'll get more information." He says, gesturing to a door leading off of the hall.
-----------------------
"Us next"

[roll1]
-----------------------
((He takes the third from the left.))
"That's the... Grey downs. Take that door."
-----------------------
A member from the last group, the one that hasn't said anything, goes up next.

[roll2]
-----------------------
((He takes the first from the left.))
"You get to check out the possible werewolf nest. Lucky you. Same door as the others."
-----------------------

((The '-----' are for me to edit into.))

EDIT: ((So, someone roll a d2, and you'll either get Kobold Hall or Harken Forest.))

Jokes
2010-02-17, 10:16 PM
Yuri cannot pass up the chance, so hops up and pulls out a straw at random.

[roll0]

Reynard
2010-02-17, 10:29 PM
"And the one left in my hand is... Harken Forest. It looks like you're going to Kobold Hall. Same door as the rest."

Jokes
2010-02-17, 11:02 PM
The gravity of what Yuri did hits him suddenly. "I uh, didn't mean to, oh <draconic expletive>" He heads back to the group. "Um, I hadn't really intended on going with you, I just got caught up in all the excitement..."

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-18, 08:32 PM
"Wait a moment, Kobold Hall?" Horace mutters as the announcement is made, that same brightly dressed young man as before clearly baffled by the odds of his own participation. "You there, young man, wait!"
The old cleric came forth from the other associates, approaching the man in the sparkling coloured clothing as he is directed out towards the doors. He remembers the request given to him by the Dwarven Blacksmith, and the connection is made quite evident. Unaware of whether he was supposed to band to a different group altogether, or how the apparently spellcaster was intended to approach his mission, Horace made a request; "Good man, I have business with these trade-jumper Kobolds you have been sent after. I feel I have to ask, might we take this quest without hesitation? I have given my word to this cause, as it happens."

nepphi
2010-02-18, 08:37 PM
"If anyone could use an experienced scout, I'm always up for making Kobolds suffer."

Keler
2010-02-18, 09:08 PM
"Of course, I wouldn't mind taking out a few of the lizards either. By the way the names Clemark." A wave of excitement had wash over Clemark, the prospect of dueling with evil and claiming gold and glory seemed to be just a march away. However, he was still a bit curious to what business Horace had with the kobolds they were going to fight. "Say Horce, you have a history with these kobolds?"

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-18, 09:20 PM
"Not quite a history, Clemark." Horace scratched as his chin, looking up towards the ceiling as though inspecting his own memories from the top of his head.
"I happen to know that these scaley swine have been pilfering the trade routes of good merchants here in town. The local blacksmith told me of his woes and... well, I won't say he asked me specifically to help, but I shall do what I can!" Tapping his stick hard against the paved floor the old man seemed to rile himself, pointing directly for one of the more eager guards in the line-up as though raring to assemble up some kind of improvised army!
"Aye, any guardsmen who takes to our cause will be well rewarded I'll tell you. I may not look like much but I can hold my own, and the lad Clemark has more spunk than... a daring billy goat!" The nonsesence in his speech flaring through, the cleric pulled an arm around the nearby human as though his mere gesture was not enough.

Freshmeat
2010-02-19, 02:13 AM
"A daring billy goat... uhh, okay. I'll take your word for it."
Then, outstretching his hand by way of introducing himself, he adds "My name is Tann'or Katasqa. I'm one of the locals. I suppose that we'll be in the same group by default, since everyone else already formed their respective groups."
He turns to address the man who offered his services as a scout. "We'd be happy to have you come along. A trained scout should come in handy. What is your name, good sir?"

nepphi
2010-02-19, 12:50 PM
"I'm Luc D'Angelo, of the Harkenwold. Home isn't too different from the woods here, so I'm sure I'll be able to help."

Keler
2010-02-19, 11:09 PM
"Um... thanks you I guess," he says to Horace as he ducks out from Horace's arm. Trying to get pass that awkward moment and on to the quest his hand, Clemark addresses to group, "Anyway, now all we need is one of those guards to accompany us and we can get going."

Jokes
2010-02-20, 05:39 AM
"Well, I suppose we should head out then. This isn't going to take more than a day or two is it? I'd hate to not be around when my troupe leaves..."

Reynard
2010-02-20, 05:47 AM
((You're still standing in the Hall, ya fools. You don't even know where Kobold Hall is yet.))

Jokes
2010-02-20, 05:53 AM
((You're still standing in the Hall, ya fools. You don't even know where Kobold Hall is yet.))

[Uh, yeah, my post wasn't very clear, I was going to say 'out the door' (the one the dude told us to leave through) but it sounded a bit funny]

Keler
2010-02-20, 11:47 AM
Clemark heads to the door.

rezplz
2010-02-20, 04:50 PM
When he sees that the ragtag group of individuals had been assigned the kobold hall, Nelson raises an eyebrow - so, this was the group that he would be assigned to. "Well. They do seem to be a fairly competent group, if unique..." he whispers to himself, while they talk to each other, making introductions. He rubs his cleft chin a bit as he thinks - yeah, he decides, and nods to himself. These guys he could see himself working well with. When they are about to head out through the door, he steps forward, giving the group a smile. "Well, looks like I'm the guard that's been assigned to you all. Once we head out I can lead you to the place and we can take care of this, nice and easy. My name's Nelson Shear, it's good to meet all of you."

As he steps forward, the rest of the newly formed group can see that Nelson is a young human man, with neat, short brown hair and freshly polished, shining scale armor. A longsword is on his left hip, while the shield on his left arm has the symbol of the fallcrest guard on it. He has a prominent cleft chin, a strong jaw, and a somewhat long face.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-21, 06:10 PM
"Nelson Shear, you say?" Old man Sheoth waved the other human in as the group settled together with one another. It was indeed a strange gathering, but certainly more colourful than any other under the roof that evening.
"Marvelous to meet you, simply divine. To the Kobolds nest then with us it is, I look forward to seeing their faces against our band. The fact I've never met these men before means nothing to me!"
Admittedly the group was still largely unaquainted but no doubt they would at least be on a name basis by the time the true objective was underway.
"Of course, we don't even know which direction to start in."

Keler
2010-02-22, 07:58 PM
"Nice to meet you Nelson. Were hoping to set out to Kobold Hall as soon as we get directions to the place."

rezplz
2010-02-23, 12:34 PM
"And that's what I'm here for. You don't get to be a city guard for a while without knowing where stuff is." He looks at the door. "Guess we're supposed to go through that door to get the boring mission details and whatnot before we head out. Come on, let's get this over with." he heads through the door, hoping everyone else decides to follow him.

Keler
2010-02-23, 06:50 PM
Clemark follows, eager for the quest ahead.

Freshmeat
2010-02-23, 06:59 PM
Tann'or joins the others. He seems a little lost in thought as he tries to remember the old tales of the Kobold Hall manor, but feels confident that he'll hear the particulars of this quest soon enough.

Jokes
2010-02-23, 09:57 PM
"Think you could wait for me at the gates? I have to go and let my troupe leader know I've been 'drafted.'" The idea of adventuring is growing on Yuri, and he does a hasty bow and runs off to his troupe. There, he quickly grabs his things and heads off to the meet up with the others.

[assuming someone told Yuri where to meet up]

Reynard
2010-02-24, 03:54 PM
((Well, you don't know which direction kobold hall is. But you can arrange a place to meet, like a tavern, or the keep, or something. Also, you lot seem to be planning on setting out straight away. You do know that the sun has almost set, you've been awake all day, and that if you think I'm going to let you travel 20+ miles without any rests, you're sorely mistaken.))

rezplz
2010-02-24, 05:35 PM
((We'll just load up on caffiene! It's fiiiiiine! Haha, forgot what time of day it was. And for some reason I was under the impression that they wanted us to go into some room where they would give us more mission details and stuff. But I guess they've given us all the details they have. With that in mind, and assuming that I know how to get there...))

"Well, don't be too hasty. I know I plan on getting a good night's rest before we head out. We should meet up in front of the Wizard's gate at around... 900 hours, I'd say. Once we're all there we can leave through the Wizard's gate, and head out to Kobold Hall. Oh, and Wizard's gate is the eastern gate, in case you didn't know."

Reynard
2010-02-24, 05:38 PM
((No, no you haven't been told yet. I was waiting for more people to actually say they were going to go into the room.))

rezplz
2010-02-24, 05:51 PM
((Okeedokee. Come on slowpokes, through the door ;P))

nepphi
2010-02-25, 12:55 PM
Luc just followed along with the others, seeming quite pleased at the prospect of some good work to do.

Reynard
2010-02-26, 05:24 PM
((Sorry this has taken a while, college hit over the back of the head with a slightly overdue assignment this week. And it looks like we're back to spoiler tags.))

Jokes:

Then sun has now almost completly set when you leave the hall, and by the time you reach the green where the carnival is, night has completly arrived, with a creasant moon visible in the sky between the clouds. There are still a fair few people still attending the carnival, mostly sticking around the free booze and the fires set up for this purpose.

You quickly make your way through to the wagon that you share with your master, and find him sitting on the steps, playing with small balls of fire.
Everyone else:

You go through the door and enter a corridor that has a small number of doors on either side, and one at the far end. A slightly bored-looking guard nods to Nelsonm then beckons you into the room he was standing outside.

"You've got the rag-tag remnants Nel? At least the other groups looked like they'd worked together."

Behind a desk in the room is a balding human, who's looking over a pile of papers, with a hand propping up his head.

"Ah, hello. You took your time. Regardless, you're heading to...?"
His last sentence seems to be directed to the Nelson.
rezplz, this as well:
Your recognize the man as Mr Mapping, the man who offered you this job.

rezplz
2010-02-26, 06:21 PM
To: Everyone except jokes, I guess?:
Nelson smiles, and shrugs at the guard. "Hey. Should prove interesting, if nothing else, right?" He then walks into the room, seeing the man at the desk. He walks inside, standing in front of his desk, at attention. "We're off to Kobold hall, Mr. Mapping. What info have you got for us?"

((OOC: I had a good laugh at "directed to the Nelson." for some reason. Nelson's become so awesome, he is now a noun, not a name! haha))

Jokes
2010-02-26, 07:28 PM
Yuri walks solemnly up to his master. He scratches at the back of his head and tries to look more apologetic than he is. "Sorry I kinda skipped our lessons... They were calling adventurers to the keep, and I thought I'd go and perform a little there there were straws and tieflings and well, one thing led to another and now I'm going off to clear out some estate full of kobolds." He takes a deep breath. "And I know I shouldn't have gone, but I really want to take this opportunity to do something more for a town than just doing card tricks and fireworks."

Reynard
2010-02-27, 08:04 AM
Jokes:
He looks at you, a frown upon his face, the fire turning a deep red.
"Did you now?"

Then he smiles, and the fire burns green.
"The second Markelhay made his speech I knew you might end up going. You forget how long I've known you, Yuri."

"Before I joined the carnival, I was an adventurer. I traveled with my friends around the land, et cetera, et cetera... But that started to lose it's appeal, as constant threats on your life seem to do."

"Some of the group wanted to carry on, some wanted to leave, so we split up. Those of us that left went with our slightly ill-gotten gains to the nearest town, intending to set up homes of our own. But eventually we got bored. It wasn't the danger we missed, it was the traveling from place to place, meeting people and making friends."

"That how the troupe got started. Me and Dave and...and Lanna..."
The fires dim for a second.
"We sold up and set off, entertaining our way to where we are now."

"But it seems you're doing things the other way around. Don't fret, we'll be here a couple more days, then we're heading up to Winterhaven."
Rezplz, you funny man you:

I was going to put 'the guardsman' then I remembered that there were two at that moment.

Reynard
2010-03-01, 09:54 AM
((Cough.))

Keler
2010-03-01, 08:57 PM
Clemark leans against a wall waiting any official paper work and things of that nature to finish