PDA

View Full Version : Crap. Need diabolic plot in a hurry.

Thoughtbot360
2010-02-09, 03:51 PM
Alright, I've found myself in a confusing place to be. See, in a game I was running, a devil was released by a villain, but the heroes killed the villain during the summoning (also, Ironically sacrificing him to complete the ritual.) So now, the great Diablos rose, but also was able to escape the magic circle that was supposed to contain him (On account of it being destroyed in the fight).

Long story short, Diablos now has possession of the magical huziits that controls him, and now on the loose. Discuss.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-02-09, 03:57 PM
The devil will obviously infiltrate the palace in the middle of the night, devour the local ruler, and use his Alter Self ability to assume his place. Now the PCs not only have a devil to catch, they also need to deal with a suddenly-uncooperative local government.

Swordgleam
2010-02-09, 03:59 PM
What did the villain want the devil for? Maybe the devil continues those plans.

Why was the devil working with the villain? If they had some sort of bargain, the devil continues pursuing whatever goal made him bargain with a mortal. If he was coerced, maybe he wants vengeance on mortal magic users, or to ensure that no one can control him like that again.

chiasaur11
2010-02-09, 04:28 PM
A thought:

"Why do you adventuring types always assume we're plotting something? Do I continually desire the blood of the innocent? Sure. Do I eventually wish the downfall of all that is good and holy? I will grant you that one. But wrecking this little sphere? I never wanted to visit this wretched ball of mud in the first place. All I want is some good alcohol, a copy of Abdul Alhazred's lesser known second novel 'Sexy secrets of Succubi"'and a way out of this cesspool. You get me that? I'll be gone without a fuss. You can't figure a way to get me back home? Well, I'll need to keep myself amused somehow..."

FoE
2010-02-09, 04:33 PM
What is Diablos? A pit fiend? A bone devil? A chain devil? An erinyes?

How about telling us about the villain trying to release him? The motives of said villain for releasing said devil?

What about just a few words about the setting? I have some great ideas for a plot hook involving the Lords of Dust, but if you're not in an Eberron setting, my suggestions are somewhat useless.

DETAILS, MAN! WE NEED DETAILS!

Kaun
2010-02-09, 04:34 PM
A thought:

"Why do you adventuring types always assume we're plotting something? Do I continually desire the blood of the innocent? Sure. Do I eventually wish the downfall of all that is good and holy? I will grant you that one. But wrecking this little sphere? I never wanted to visit this wretched ball of mud in the first place. All I want is some good alcohol, a copy of Abdul Alhazred's lesser known second novel 'Sexy secrets of Succubi"'and a way out of this cesspool. You get me that? I'll be gone without a fuss. You can't figure a way to get me back home? Well, I'll need to keep myself amused somehow..."

oww thats good.

I may steal that some time in the future.

Devils are cunning creatures and are bound to see many advantageous ways to play any situation. But power and influence and a but load of minions are always a good place to start.

Randel
2010-02-09, 08:23 PM
1). He heads to a nearby port city and finds a struggling restaurant owner who's not getting enough business and is in debt to the local crime lords. The devil makes a deal with him: The Devil brings business into the place in exchange for the soul of the crime boss. The owner agrees (though a bit confused)

The Devil takes on a humanoid form and starts cooking up great meals which attracts customers from all over. The food is good... real good... in fact its practically addicting.

The owner is able to pay off the crime boss, but the boss sees how much of a money maker the place is and starts demanding more protection money. The owner decides to treat the boss to free meals and the boss agrees. However, the Devils food is both addicting and deadly... getting fat from it gives you a heart attack and your soul gets sent to the layer of hell that punishes gluttons.

The Devil plans to get the whole city addicted on his food and send their souls to his master in the abyss.

2). The Devil is looking for an empty shell to possess which will make it impossible to banish him without his consent. He finds another wizard or royal who had a clone set up and possesses the body. Then, he either decides to bump off the origional of the clone or just heads off somewhere else to never be seen again and maybe set up a gambling hall or something.

3). He goes to the nearest temple of Pelor and tries to confess his sins so that his soul will go to heaven when he dies. That way he can stab angels in the face afterwards and will be sent back to hell when he does so.

4). He sets up an orphanage... and teaches them how to pick pockets and kick puppies.

5). The devil is actually the corrupted soul of the villains wife/daugher/son/girlfriend who became a devil when they died. The devil then tries to hunt down the person who killed them originally so that they will take their place in hell.

Thoughtbot360
2010-02-10, 12:30 AM
Ah. Apologies, I was running out the door when I finished that. It seems some clarification is needed.

What did the villain want the devil for? Maybe the devil continues those plans.

Why was the devil working with the villain? If they had some sort of bargain, the devil continues pursuing whatever goal made him bargain with a mortal. If he was coerced, maybe he wants vengeance on mortal magic users, or to ensure that no one can control him like that again.

What is Diablos? A pit fiend? A bone devil? A chain devil? An erinyes?

How about telling us about the villain trying to release him? The motives of said villain for releasing said devil?

What about just a few words about the setting? I have some great ideas for a plot hook involving the Lords of Dust, but if you're not in an Eberron setting, my suggestions are somewhat useless.

DETAILS, MAN! WE NEED DETAILS!

First of all, I'm playing a game that borrows heavily from elements of the Final Fantasy series. Diablos was a lesser known summon creature in 8, the remake of 6, and, I am told, in 11 where he controlled some sort of dream world where he himself up into two. Here's a picture (http://www.ffcompendium.com/EspMon/diabolos6.jpg).

It was just summoned. Generally speaking the villain wanted to Bind it for a longer duration than the standard spells to do his evil bidding, ultimately culminating in using Diablos as a focus for a ritual that would cast a world-wide Dominate Monster spell when the stars are right. The heroes managed to kill him when he attempted to sacrifice them, but this ironically completed the summon. Diablos hovered above them, got his bearings, stole the control apparatus to become his own master, and the players did not attack him (largely on behalf of "Blue's" observations. Blue is a strange, strange Conjurer Wizard, whose gender has be hidden for comedic value, that summons Celestials and fiends to fight with and has a bit of an obsession with them. Even his/her celestials look suspiciously fiendish, and that's all I'm going to say on the matter. Blue basically identified Diablos as a devil that was imprisoned for a long time, and decided to play the most literal game of "Devils Advocate" ever), although even if the players didn't let him go, Diablos was one Swoop out a glass observatory window away from freedom and the players were awfully short on flight-related abilities at the moment.

So, now he's loose.

The devil will obviously infiltrate the palace in the middle of the night, devour the local ruler, and use his Alter Self ability to assume his place. Now the PCs not only have a devil to catch, they also need to deal with a suddenly-uncooperative local government.

That's actually quite good. See, strange stuff happens between games all the time in my campaign.

ondonaflash
2010-02-10, 02:36 AM
One Word: LEARN (http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_I_Manual#THE_RETURN_OF_TERROR)

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 08:29 AM
This is all you need:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/742004284_ZVg7b-L.jpg

Cyrion
2010-02-10, 10:47 AM
So, having released him into the world, the devil feels that it's only fair that he reward the party...

Using alter self or some variation thereof he works to become the patron of one of the party members, pointing the way to profitable adventures, giving some assistance or advice when appropriate, etc. But there's a catch to most of the identifies for the adventurers- he helps them find the cult of demon worshippers (advancing Hell's power on earth), they find and bring him an Object of Evil Power- ostensibly for him to lock away or destroy, they're off to rescue the princess- who has an infernal contract and will be Bad For The Kingdom when her father dies, etc.

Be creative about adventures that seem good and productive, but actually advance an evil agenda. Mix in some genuinely worthwhile things so that the party doesn't twig to it too quickly. The devil can justify it by knowing that a powerful and trusting party will be set up for an even more diabolical betrayal at some point.

Thoughtbot360
2010-02-10, 05:39 PM
This is all you need:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/742004284_ZVg7b-L.jpg

You know its funny. I did write in his backstory that Diablos was defeated by Siren (http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/espmon/siren.shtml) some time in the past. In my father's house, there are many {*Pre-impendently scrubbed*}, indeed.