PDA

View Full Version : Hilgya

Vulkan
2010-02-09, 05:14 PM
Anyone else starting to miss her?

hamishspence
2010-02-09, 05:23 PM
There were a few people theorizing some time back that Hilgya would turn up at some point- with Durkon's offspring.

Optimystik
2010-02-09, 05:24 PM
Durkon, natch.

(Also, I do, simply because her appearance will mean much-needed character development for our dwarf.)

Ancalagon
2010-02-09, 05:26 PM
Anyone else starting to miss her?

She has not been in the comic for how many RL years and now you suddenly start to miss her?

Gandariel
2010-02-09, 05:35 PM
Durkon, natch.

(Also, I do, simply because her appearance will mean much-needed character development for our dwarf.)

yeah, that's about the only interesting thing that happened to him...

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-09, 05:40 PM
Ever since I finished my first runthrough of the archive. (The newest comic was about 620, I think).

Vulkan
2010-02-09, 05:46 PM
There were a few people theorizing some time back that Hilgya would turn up at some point- with Durkon's offspring.

That would be kinda cool

Durkon, natch.

Yeah he's a bit bland it with the development of the others it's only getting worst.

She has not been in the comic for how many RL years and now you suddenly start to miss her?

Well I started reading the comic some time in 08 when I was still in high school.

yeah, that's about the only interesting thing that happened to him...

Cannot un-see dwarvs making love ._.

B.I.T.T.
2010-02-09, 06:26 PM
Well Hilgya was an interesting enough character for the short amount of time that she was in the strip, but she was still in it too briefly and out too long ago for me to really miss her. I wouldn't mind seeing her come back, but only if it's part of a good storyline. I wouldn't want to see Hilgya come back and think

"That was sorta contrived."

I would want to see her come back and think

"Whoa! I did NOT see that coming...and yet it makes perfect sense."

I kinda doubt we're going to see her again, though. Her job as a character was to help shed a little light on Durkon's personality and motivations and whatnot. Now that that's done there's not much of a reason to bring her back.

Kranden
2010-02-09, 07:59 PM
Grasping at straws are we?

Dr.Epic
2010-02-09, 08:29 PM
No more than I miss yik yik or yok yok.

Teleporker
2010-02-09, 08:41 PM
Go team cleric!

Yep, I miss her, but bringing her into the current storyline (even if she does have Durkon's baby) would be kinda out of place.

veti
2010-02-09, 09:27 PM
Miss Hilgya? About as much as I miss Gortok the Destroyer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html).

I get that everyone thinks Durkon is dull, needs character development... but I personally don't agree. I think Durkon is playing a very important role in the story, and he's fine by me just as he is.

Vemynal
2010-02-09, 10:29 PM
Miss Hilgya? About as much as I miss Gortok the Destroyer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html).

I get that everyone thinks Durkon is dull, needs character development... but I personally don't agree. I think Durkon is playing a very important role in the story, and he's fine by me just as he is.

static main character's exist to show the evolution of other main characters via contrast (so yeah, I agree)

+ Durkon actually got a ton of back story/character development in origin's of PC. Not his fault he basically figured his **** out by the time the main story started XD

Beorn080
2010-02-09, 10:29 PM
Ya know, they're starting to assemble quite the cast of one off and short term characters. Possible Gondor calls for Aid ending?

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-02-10, 06:18 AM
Well, look at some of the facts:

It was Durkon's "First Time."
He probably didn't have a "Dwaven Defender" in his wallet.
Even if he did, it could have been well past its "Use By Date." Durkon wasn't a young dwarf when he started the adventure, so even if he bought a few as a teenager... And if he brought some with him just as he left the Dwarven Caves, he adventured for a while before teaming up with Roy.

So now there's a real possibility that Hilgya might have become pregnant.

Dwarven gestation is two years. (Book of Erotic Fantasy)
It has been about a year and a half since they left the Dungeon of Durukon. If Hilgya was pregnant, she wouldn't be due yet. But she would be getting close.

Plot wise: Hell hath no fury like a scorned woman. And Durkon certianly scorned Hilgya when he sent her away. It broke his heart to scorn her, but he did it because it was his duty.
Durkon may have a child (or children!) he doesn't know about.
Children definately build character. (3x Daddy here)
Which builds character more: supporting your family, even if you didn't know you had one, or completing your mission to save the world? Lots of juicy plot points for Rich to write about.

Compare and contrast Durkon with Vaarsuvious.
(Spawn countless flamewars debating who was more morally justified in their actions: Durkon or Vaarsuvious? Count how many times Roland six guns this type of thread.)

Yeah, Durkon is the solid core of the OotS. So what happens when Mr. Rock Solid and Dependable gets his world rocked?

Nah, no potential for story telling here. Move along, move along.

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 07:23 AM
Dwarven gestation is two years. (Book of Erotic Fantasy)

Just want to point out that this book is 3rd party (i.e. not WotC) so anything in it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Races of Stone mentions dwarven pregnancy briefly, but says nothing about the actual gestation period (only that they have a very low birth rate, like elves.)

TriForce
2010-02-10, 10:42 AM

actually... i miss gortok more then i miss hilgya :) and screw the charecter development already, ive had enough of that the past 500 strips, gimme some more humor and action :smallbiggrin:

Ancalagon
2010-02-10, 11:26 AM
actually... i miss gortok more then i miss hilgya :) and screw the charecter development already, ive had enough of that the past 500 strips, gimme some more humor and action :smallbiggrin:

You usually get those in ADDITION. Just in the case of Durkon, you get none of one of those. Which is bad. No matter which if the three is left out with any given character...

licoot
2010-02-10, 12:49 PM
I don't really think durkon needs the character development, but i think she'd be a great character to bring in just for her character.

Ancalagon
2010-02-10, 02:09 PM
There I disagree. Durkon is an interesting character but he's not much more than "background". Like a tapestry.

The comic evolved from a "one joke per day strip" to an epic story with nearly a dozen main characters and the same number (or so) of recurring side characters. All fleshed out, all believeable... just Durkon stays the bland tapestry that he always has been.

Durkon is a good concept to start a campaign with. But when compared to the rest of the cast... it... feels wrong. Like a you'd see a modern movie in cinema that has CGIs that look like they were rendered in '95. It does it's job but it simply is... wrong.

Captainocaptain
2010-02-10, 09:43 PM
Unfortunately, I dont think we will ever see Hilgya again. If you look closely, In Comic 668, in the IFCC's cave-thing, one of the panels has a picture of the Linear Guild. Those who are dead (or taken away for copy write reasons), are scribbled out, including Hilgya. So I'm not sure if that means the IFCC just doesnt need them any more, but I think it means they are out of the picture, for good.

Conuly
2010-02-10, 11:29 PM
Scribbled out could just mean "no longer a pawn of the IFCC", though.

Flarp
2010-02-10, 11:59 PM
Kraagor's Gate is either going to be a sub-arc of Girard's, or the next one after.

Since Kraagor was a dwarf, and his gate is explicitly stated to be in the dwarven homeland, I'm really, really, REALLY hoping that this will be Durkon's time to shine. OtOotPCs regardless, every other character has gotten several meaty chunks of character development, whereas Durkon is basically a recurring one-dimensional bit character.

As someone who loves the dwarven race, I can't stand for this.

Suddenly having children with an adulterous cleric of Loki would be an interesting twist for him. I approve.

Ancalagon
2010-02-11, 05:39 AM
Since Kraagor was a dwarf, and his gate is explicitly stated to be in the dwarven homeland, I'm really, really, REALLY hoping that this will be Durkon's time to shine.

Also remember that Durkon's prophecy is still unattended. Why give a prophecy that is fullfilled in the epilogue? No, we'll see the story move towards the dwarven homeland (and maybe we find out there actually IS a reason to be afraid of trees ;)).

From Origin of PCs
And the other prophecy is ALSO still unattended. Why have TWO prophecies dealing with Durkon's Return if it never happens?