2010-02-09, 05:55 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 77: Murray vs. Thag

Map:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/Kyace/glasshouse.png

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

Murray (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=7229) - HCL
Thag (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=163377) - vollmond

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare final purchases, if any. Remember that this is a single elimination Endurance tournament; all damage and effects carry over, with one hour between matches.

vollmond
2010-02-09, 06:06 PM
Thag, checking in.

[roll0] <-- seriously???

Also, a refresher question needed. If a match is opened, and one party never joins and ends up DQed, the other party gets the XP/gold, right? What about my case: Both my potential opponents in my 2nd match were no-shows in their own match. Do I get XP and gold for my bye or not?

Thanks.

Looking forward to this, Murray :smallamused:

ArenaManager
2010-02-09, 06:07 PM
For this match, Thag has taken 7 damage, and Murray has taken 9 damage + bleeding, however that ends up working...

Edit: While you do get gold/xp from a match where your opponent doesn't show, as I recall, this doesn't apply for a bye, since you don't have an opponent. One of the reasons we don't like double DQs.

HCL
2010-02-09, 06:07 PM
StatsCurrently at -1 hp, will continue bleeding every round taking 1 hp damage until I receive magical healing

Purchases: 2 divine scrolls of faith healing (Market anarchy)

Initiative [roll0]

vollmond
2010-02-09, 06:11 PM
Heard from Thag's corner of the Arena: "That was hereby the longest hour of my life!" (I believe his last match ended in November...)

edit: still planning purchases.

HCL
2010-02-09, 06:56 PM
I'll make reactionaries and change my turn if needed but you can't beat that initiative as far as i can tell

Murray starts in B13 holding a bunch of scrolls and a tower shield (not wielded) and dissapears as he moves northeast

Five foot step to C13
Attempt to UMD scroll of faith healing [roll0] success on 21 or higher

Not done yet need to see results of this roll

HCL
2010-02-09, 06:59 PM
Murray Round 1 Cont Murray successfully heals himself to 8 hitpoints and is no longer bleeding. As a free action he moves the rest of the scrolls to his mouth to hold them in his teeth, leaving his hand free for the somatic components needed to invoke. He equips his tower shield and ends his turn (AC penalty -10, 50% ASF)

End turn

vollmond
2010-02-10, 10:10 PM
Apologies for the delay.

Thag, Purchases

Refs: Can I add a deity for use with a Potion of Faith Healing?

-0 gp 8x Slings
-1 sp 10x Sling Stones
-100 gp 2x Potion of CLW/Faith Healing (depending on answer to that ref question)
-10 gp Riding Saddle

Round 1

Spoilered since you broke LoS

Starting in Y-13, mounted, holding a potion and a sling.
Drink the potion (for [roll0] if that was a CLW)
Move to X-5

[roll1]
[roll2]

Turn complete.

Statblock:

Low-light Vision
Darkvision 60'
HP TBD/14
AC 16, t16, ff12

Remaining Consumables:
10x Loaded Slings
1x Potion of (CLW/FH)

HCL
2010-02-10, 10:22 PM
We still start with line of sight to each other so could you let me know where you started and what you were holding?

I'll go ahead and take my next turn since we don't have LOS

Murray Round 2 Move to F10

ready an action to attempt to summon a spider swarm on top of anything that comes within 25 feet

End turn

vollmond
2010-02-10, 10:32 PM
Ah, true. Started in Y-13, mounted, holding a potion and a sling.

Psionic Dog
2010-02-12, 01:08 PM
High Ref PsiDog

@Refs
Holding an item in mouth seems valid, but likely gags the character. Holding multiple items in mouth seems questionable and would almost certainly gag the character.
1) I'm not certain enough to overrule mutliple items in mouth, but if someone else wishes to challenge go for it.
2) Note that gags do exist in DnD and holding item(s) in mouth would probably have same effect, preventing anything with a verbal component or even general speech

@vollmond
I'm going to rule that changing the entity worshiped in the arena follows the same rules as changing alignment: it may be done between rounds, but not between matches. It especially can't be done in the 1-hour between endurance matches.

Also:
LoS not broken at start. Rewind to Thag, round 1.
First, Murray stepped east to C-13, not NE. Second, even if he had gone NE there is still would be LoS between C12 and Y-13.

Thag sees Murray use a scroll
DC 16 Spellcraft to identify:
Faith Healing for 8
Thag then apparently stuffs several more scrolls between his teeth and equips the tower shield.

Thag's go, round 1.

vollmond
2010-02-12, 03:08 PM
Thag then apparently stuffs several more scrolls between his teeth and equips the tower shield

Let the record show that PsiDog presumably means Murray, not Thag :smallwink:

Thag, Round 1 Redux

Starting in Y-13, mounted, holding a potion and his lance.
Standard: Drink the potion for [roll0] HP, unless I'm required to take the roll from my first post. Up to you, ref.
Dawg Double Move to L7, drawing a sling as I go (lance is in off-hand)

Turn complete.

Statblock:

Low-light Vision
Darkvision 60'
HP 10/14
AC 16, t16, ff12

Remaining Consumables:
10x Loaded Slings
1x Potion of CLW

edit: Ref QuestionCan you perform free actions on the same turn as a full-round action? IE, can I drop the sling and then charge, if it comes to that?

Sallera
2010-02-12, 03:11 PM
Thag:You take the roll from the first time you did it.

HCL
2010-02-12, 10:34 PM
Murray Round 2 revised
Move to F10

ready an action to attempt to summon a spider swarm on top of anything (or as close as possible to anything) that comes within 45 feet

End turn

vollmond
2010-02-12, 10:40 PM
We actually still have LoS (only one pane of glass between us), and I'm not hiding at the moment.

HCL
2010-02-13, 08:14 AM
Murray moved to F10 and readied an action

vollmond
2010-02-14, 12:03 AM
Thag, Round 2

Dawg Move to G6
Standard: Attack with sling
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Free: drop sling
Free: switch to 2-handed grip on lance

Turn complete.

Statblock:

Low-light Vision
Darkvision 60'
HP 10/14
AC 16, t16, ff12

Remaining Consumables:
9x Loaded Slings
1x Potion of CLW

Ref QuestionCan you perform free actions on the same turn as a full-round action? IE, can I drop the sling and then charge, if it comes to that?

Sallera
2010-02-14, 12:15 AM
Thag:Yes, you can.

HCL
2010-02-14, 09:29 AM
Can you draw a weapon during a move? I thought you could only draw a projectile.

Murray has full cover against you. Anyway as you enter G6 Murray attempts an invocation [roll0] ASF fail on 1

HCL
2010-02-14, 09:32 AM
Great success! A swarm of spiders appears on top of you. You and your little dog too take 1d6 damage Fort 11 save or be nauseated when you start your turn, also fort save against [roll0] strength damage now and again in 10 rounds

At the beginning of his turn Murray attempts to summons a bat swarm too [roll1] ASF fail on 1

HCL
2010-02-14, 09:33 AM
That invocation fails so murray moves to E11, moving a scroll to his hand as a free action color spray and Ends turn

HCL
2010-02-14, 09:35 AM
Oops, that should be [roll0] damage

vollmond
2010-02-14, 10:16 AM
Ok, I only have a moment here (valentine's day, yay), but I do have 3 questions. Regardless of the answers, my turn should come late tonight or early tomorrow.

1) Where did that tower shield come from? It's not on your character sheet, nor is it in your purchases for this match.

2) Wouldn't using the tower shield for total cover be a visible effect to me?

3) If you're using it for total cover, how are you able to have Line of Effect to me to summon a swarm?

HCL
2010-02-14, 11:08 AM
It is and I said I had it at the beginning of the match. I bought it last match, its in my purchases (or it should be unless coyotoecode is being retarded). Total cover does not cause lack of line of effect, its the other way around. And regardless I can just summon it around the shield or switch its use (its a nonaction so long as I do not attack)

vollmond
2010-02-15, 11:04 AM
Perhaps it would be a good idea to put the tower shield somewhere your opponent wills see it on your sheet, rather than make us root through your purchase log :smallsmile: I'll grant that it's there, though, as well as the other questions.

Regarding drawing: If you have a BAB of +1 or more, you can draw a weapon as part of a move. source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm#draworSheatheaWeapon) Probably a moot point though, since Dawg was moving, not Thag.

Fort saves:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Turn to come after I see these rolls.

vollmond
2010-02-15, 11:38 AM
Yay for good rolls. Short delay while I figure out what I can do...

edit: i haven't forgotten about you, just thinking a bit more. should have a turn up by lunchtime

vollmond
2010-02-16, 11:59 AM
Thag, Round 3

Move east, then south, breaking LoS.
Double Move to R14. Draw and drink my other CLW potion as I go for [roll0].

Other rolls:

[roll1] (DC5-If I critically fail this, I suppose ignore the potion bits above)

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

Dawg also has Scent.

Turn complete.

Statblock:

Low-light Vision
Darkvision 60'
HP 9/14
AC 16, t16, ff12
9/10 rounds left until my next save from the swarm

Remaining Consumables:
9x Loaded Slings

HCL
2010-02-16, 06:39 PM
What square did I lose LOS of you?

vollmond
2010-02-16, 07:36 PM
What square did I lose LOS of you?

You lose me when I move southeast out of N7

HCL
2010-02-16, 09:22 PM
Murray Round 4Move to F11, ready an action to attempt to summon a swarm of bats on or as close as possible to an enemy that comes within 45 feet

End turn

RandomAction
2010-02-17, 02:52 PM
LoS Check:

Thag: No LoS.

Murray: No LoS:

vollmond
2010-02-17, 04:19 PM
Thag, Round 4

Refs/LoS:

Dawg: Move half-speed to N19
Thag: Draw a sling, then ready an action to fire the sling if I gain LoS at a point that Murray is not using the shield for total cover

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Dawg also has Scent.

Turn complete.

Statblock:

Low-light Vision
Darkvision 60'
HP 9/14
AC 16, t16, ff12
8/10 rounds left until my next save from the swarm

Remaining Consumables:
9x Loaded Slings

Non-urgent ref question: Does the shield work for total cover when he is moving, too? How about vs AoOs if I moved right up to him and then he moved away? I assume he has to temporarily lose total cover when he uses his eldritch blast, yes? Finally, do the swarms move on his initiative, or some other time?

HCL
2010-02-17, 04:57 PM
Murray Round 5Move to L10, ready an action to summon a bat swarm on or as close to any enemy that moves within 45 feet End turn

Psionic Dog
2010-02-19, 09:01 AM
Clarification needed:
@HCL
2 Questions:
Doesn't Summon Swarm have a vocal component?

If yes then I believe your invocation back at Post 20 would fail (since you'd have been effectively gagged by that mouth full of scrolls)

HCL
2010-02-19, 09:18 AM
refsI am not sure if invocations have verbal components (I thought it was only somatic), I don't have my complete arcane. I think that they would just fall out of my mouth if it did.

Psionic Dog
2010-02-21, 03:41 PM
High Ref PsiDog

Refs
[roll0]
[roll1]

Thag
You see Murry in F-11.

I'd recomend posting that question in the waiting room, I'm not sure how it would work.

Murry
You see That move to N-19 and ready an action.

For future match reference you must declare if you are using a tower shield for cover since the Tower Shield description states that the default use of a tower shield is normal +4 AC and not total cover. I'm not going to over rule your retroactive declaration (this match) since the other refs seem to have given it a passive OK but successful challenges have been made over less.

EDIT: FYI I was only concerned since the spell version of summon swarm had a vocal component and didn't know anything about warlocks. Our fellows in the waiting room seem to believe you are correct about no vocals on the incantations however, so all good there.

Rewind to Murry's turn.

HCL
2010-02-21, 05:28 PM
Murray Round 5 redo

Move from f11 to G17

EDIT: I am also going to drop all my scrolls so there is no more hanky panky

if his ready action does not trigger yet ready an action to Summon some bats if an enemy is or comes within 45 feet

Tower shield is wielded as cover

End turn

vollmond
2010-02-23, 03:42 PM
After 2 days of asking questions and poring over charsheets and such, I honestly don't see a way for Thag to beat Murray. He can ride fast enough to stay away and not be killed, but unless Murray lets his guard down to eldritch blast at a point when Thag has a readied action to hit back... there's nothing he can do.

Congrats on giving me a lesson in versatility and contingency planning. :smallsmile: Thag forfeits.

Sallera
2010-02-23, 04:05 PM
High Ref Sallera

Thag wishes he had a blunt object, and concedes the match to Murray.

HCL
2010-02-23, 06:50 PM
I really like this character for endurance rounds. Lance is a beast too. Good try :smallsmile:

vollmond
2010-02-23, 06:54 PM
I was impressed. At least now I have a few ideas for our next meeting -- just nothing I could do with the equipment on hand. Should have bought a mace so I could try to sunder the shield. Do you happen to know how splash weapons interact with your use of the shield?