PDA

View Full Version : About Roland (nothing bad)

Shas aia Toriia
2010-02-09, 08:33 PM
Since when has he been an admin?
I could have sword he was a mod. . .

Moff Chumley
2010-02-09, 08:44 PM
I know he's gotten a promotion recently, but I thought that was to "super mod."

arguskos
2010-02-09, 09:07 PM
He was a Moderator, then became a Super Moderator, then was upgraded to full-on Admin maybe... 4 months ago. That's a rough ballpark though.

chiasaur11
2010-02-09, 09:08 PM
Whatever the title says, he's the closest thing to the law around these parts.

Moff Chumley
2010-02-09, 09:12 PM
*facedeskheadpalm*

Bad pun is bad.

Coidzor
2010-02-09, 09:34 PM
Well, we're pretty sure he's not a headless thompson gunner, but no word on whether he wields a magical blade or not.

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-09, 09:51 PM
I thought this was suddenly going to be a birthday thread for Roland until I got here, but yeah Roland's currently the law in these parts. I've seen this very thing come up over in board issues a while back and, what with the low number of available forum staff, Roland is more or less it when it comes to enforcement, not because of any ambition on his part, but because there just isn't the trusted manpower to take the weight off Roland's shoulders.

Temotei
2010-02-09, 09:55 PM
I thought this was suddenly going to be a birthday thread for Roland until I got here, but yeah Roland's currently the law in these parts. I've seen this very thing come up over in board issues a while back and, what with the low number of available forum staff, Roland is more or less it when it comes to enforcement, not because of any ambition on his part, but because there just isn't the trusted manpower to take the weight off Roland's shoulders.

He doesn't sleep either. That helps. :smallcool:

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-09, 10:00 PM
He doesn't sleep either. That helps. :smallcool:

There's also the mind con-There is no mind control, I will go back to my fun

Starfols
2010-02-09, 10:21 PM
I thought he was just the moderator of the Friendly banter and media forums :smalleek:. Those are the ones I post in most, anyway. Keep up the good work.

Temotei
2010-02-09, 10:23 PM
I thought he was just the moderator of the Friendly banter and media forums :smalleek:. Those are the ones I post in most, anyway. Keep up the good work.

Nope. He controls everything. :smallbiggrin:

Stormthorn
2010-02-09, 10:52 PM
Since when has he been an admin?
I could have sword he was a mod. . .

Thats old news dude. Eyes on the mods. Always. 0.0

Flickerdart
2010-02-09, 10:55 PM
Thats old news dude. Eyes on the mods. Always. 0.0
If you stare into the abyss, etc etc.

Illven
2010-02-09, 10:59 PM
If you stare into the abyss, etc etc.

You become a mod awesome "stares at Roland"

BRC
2010-02-09, 10:59 PM
He became admin about the time he started with the
*eyes glaze over*
There is no mind control, I will go back to my fun.

SilverSheriff
2010-02-09, 11:06 PM
St. Roland Jude you cruel dicta-

~There is no mind control, I will go back to my fun.~

Coidzor
2010-02-09, 11:08 PM

Come to think of it, wasn't his birthday about a month ago?

Knaight
2010-02-09, 11:10 PM
Huh. We didn't celebrate it. A pity, I like Roland, he is a great mod. Particularly compared to some of the people over at Wotc.

SensFan
2010-02-09, 11:19 PM
Huh. We didn't celebrate it. A pity, I like Roland, he is a great mod. Particularly compared to some of the people over at Wotc.
I don't know, Roland does tend to - be the best Admin in the history of websites. There is no mind control, citizen.

kpenguin
2010-02-09, 11:21 PM
If his profile is to be believed, Roland's join date was 9/24/05. I say that week is now Roland St. Jude Week!

Temotei
2010-02-09, 11:34 PM
If his profile is to be believed, Roland's join date was 9/24/05. I say that week is now Roland St. Jude Week!

Sweet. We can all make avatars in the style of Roland's. :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-02-09, 11:40 PM
I hear the name Roland St. Jude is from something. anybody mind telling me what?

oh yeah, in addition to the forums he also has a twitter and a blog to take care of.:smalleek:

Temotei
2010-02-09, 11:44 PM
I hear the name Roland St. Jude is from something. anybody mind telling me what?

oh yeah, in addition to the forums he also has a twitter and a blog to take care of.:smalleek:

I believe some mythology involves Roland.

I think he was a paladin? :smalltongue:

skywalker
2010-02-10, 12:01 AM
It was somewhere around the middle of October, if memory serves. Which it does.

I think Admin is a pretty cool guy. eh bans spammers and doesnt afraid of anything

Stormthorn
2010-02-10, 12:03 AM
I don't know, Roland does tend to - be the best Admin in the history of websites. There is no mind control, citizen.

I have serious doubts about the way we fail to offer proper respect to Roland St. Jude. Rumors of mind control are false.

Starfols
2010-02-10, 12:16 AM
All these mind control hijinks reminds me of all the candlejack threads that have been popping there is no mind control citi

Temotei
2010-02-10, 12:18 AM
All these mind control hijinks reminds me of all the candlejack threads that have been popping there is no mind control citi

Bank card!

Stormthorn
2010-02-10, 12:29 AM

Whats odd is that Candlejack immediatly followed a sudden resurgence of the Slender Man and i for one thin

Temotei
2010-02-10, 12:56 AM
So...yeah. I'm so marking this in my calendar. Then I'm making an avatar based on Roland's. :smallbiggrin:

_Zoot_
2010-02-10, 02:55 AM
Wow, Candlejack, Slender Man and the lack of mind control citizen all in one th

Totally Guy
2010-02-10, 03:29 AM
Just recently I've started reading it as Roland Street Jude rather than Roland Saint Jude.

Too much letter writing.:smalltongue:

ForzaFiori
2010-02-10, 07:11 AM

Not sure if this is where it comes from, but Roland was a big military leader under Charlamagne. He was pretty much responsible for kicking the butt of the English over and over again, and St. Jude is the patron saint of lost/desperate causes, and the Armenian Apostolic Church.

RationalGoblin
2010-02-10, 08:47 AM
Yep, indeed, Roland is the law! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM)

Emperor Ing
2010-02-10, 08:54 AM
I think Roland is a pretty cool guy. Eh fights spammers and doesn't afraid of anything. :smalltongue:

Anuan
2010-02-10, 09:13 AM
Y'see, the thing about Roland, is...the thing you have to remember about Roland...Roland St. Jude is basically Judge Dredd, but cooler. He has a giant gun. He fights baddies. I'm sure if there was such a thing as mind control, he'd pass it up, being so hardcore that he knows he doesn't need it.

But, there is no mind control. We already know this. Everybody says it already.

I'mma go back to my fun, now.

Edit: Damn, I thought I was being original, but that youtube link is for a Judge Dredd clip. Blast!

Thufir
2010-02-10, 09:19 AM
Y'see, the thing about Roland, is...the thing you have to remember about Roland...

For a moment here I thought you were going to say, "Roland's just this guy, you know?"

Serpentine
2010-02-10, 09:24 AM
Roland is way cool. He tells people to "watch their language" and "obey our rules". That is so cool!
Also he may or may not drive a cheesecake truck, and I think I'll refrain from discussing his boy-parts which may or may not be detachable.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-10, 10:14 AM
Yep, indeed, Roland is the law! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM)

Roland is... the log? The lawn?

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-10, 03:16 PM
Is it true that Roland is actually three people? One in America, one in Europe and one in Australia? So that he can be online at all times?

Or is it the (more likely) story that he lives in a satellite that follows the Sun's path over the Earth?

Question 2: Was Roland always a mod (burst fully grown from Rich's forehead etc.), or was he born a normal forum-dwelling plebeian like the rest of us?

SurlySeraph
2010-02-10, 03:23 PM

The name is either from Roland Deschain (protagonist of Stephen King's The Dark Tower Books, a gunslinger, and awesome) or from Count Roland, the companion of Charlemagne who was mentioned before.

"St. Jude" is probably from St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes.

Kallisti
2010-02-10, 03:38 PM
...oh dear Discordia. We all knew the Slender Man is Candlejack, but Roland is ~There is no conspiracy of increasingly annoying monster memes, Citizen. Or mind control. Go back to your sentence~. the Slende

Zanaril
2010-02-10, 03:46 PM
...oh dear Discordia. We all knew the Slender Man is Candlejack, but Roland is ~There is no conspiracy of increasingly annoying monster memes, Citizen. Or mind control. Go back to your sentence~. the Slende

Stop putting memes in the memes!

...Gah!

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-10, 03:48 PM

...Gah!

You got meme in my meme!

Well you got meme in my meme!

Now introducing: Reese's Meme Cup.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-02-10, 03:50 PM
"St. Jude" is probably from St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes.

I always assumed it was his actual name. And St. Jude always reminds me of the hospital (http://www.stjude.org/)

arguskos
2010-02-10, 04:00 PM
Is it true that Roland is actually three people? One in America, one in Europe and one in Australia? So that he can be online at all times?

Or is it the (more likely) story that he lives in a satellite that follows the Sun's path over the Earth?

Question 2: Was Roland always a mod (burst fully grown from Rich's forehead etc.), or was he born a normal forum-dwelling plebeian like the rest of us?
I think he's three people, but that's just me.

Also, I think that the Mod Staff have always been mods. I believe the tale is that when the forum was created, Rich appointed friends of his to be mods, and they remained as such. That's just IIRC though, so don't take my word as gospel or anything.

Forever Curious
2010-02-10, 04:00 PM

...Gah!

You dawg, I heard you like memes. So I put a Slender Man in your Candlejack so you can go back to your fun, citizen when yo-

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-10, 04:03 PM
You dawg, I heard you like memes. So I put a Slender Man in your Candlejack so you can go back to your fun, citizen when yo-

Reading this post just gave me a seizure. Well done, the forum now needs a safety warning on the front page :smalltongue:

Forever Curious
2010-02-10, 04:04 PM
Reading this post just gave me a seizure. Well done, the forum now needs a safety warning on the front page :smalltongue:

*takes a bow* I'm flattered.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-10, 04:04 PM
Also, I think that the Mod Staff have always been mods. I believe the tale is that when the forum was created, Rich appointed friends of his to be mods, and they remained as such. That's just IIRC though, so don't take my word as gospel or anything.

Well, when the boards were created, some of the mods and admins weren't even members of the boards. I also recall 'larra not always being a mod, since there was a poster that was surprised at that in my early days.

Koury
2010-02-10, 04:06 PM
You got meme in my meme!

Well you got meme in my meme!

Now introducing: Reese's Meme Cup.

Yo dawg, I herd you liek memes in ur memes

skywalker
2010-02-10, 04:36 PM

He's not.

Pretty sure the mods haven't always been mods. 99% positive, in fact. If I remember correctly, the mods were chosen as responsible members from the early community when the forum got too large for the Giant to adequately mod all by hisself. Certainly it wasn't as it was today. What I mean by that is, once upon a time, Roland got to have fun like the rest of us, and Mod business didn't take up 150% of his time.

Starfols
2010-02-10, 04:40 PM
Yo dawg, I herd you liek memes in ur memes

What have I done? What have I done?? :smalleek:

Also he may or may not drive a cheesecake truck, and I think I'll refrain from discussing his boy-parts which may or may not be detachable.

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af132/starfols/rockdrivinghead.jpg

arguskos
2010-02-10, 04:51 PM
He's not.
Well, yes, but this is a thread about Roland memes. Might as well include that one.

Pretty sure the mods haven't always been mods. 99% positive, in fact. If I remember correctly, the mods were chosen as responsible members from the early community when the forum got too large for the Giant to adequately mod all by hisself. Certainly it wasn't as it was today. What I mean by that is, once upon a time, Roland got to have fun like the rest of us, and Mod business didn't take up 150% of his time.
Like I said, that was just what I had heard a few times. I wasn't around in those days, so I don't know first hand. A few of the really old posters would know, maybe Shahhalar or Matthew were about, I dunno.

Temotei
2010-02-10, 05:25 PM
Well, yes, but this is a thread about Roland memes. Might as well include that one.

Like I said, that was just what I had heard a few times. I wasn't around in those days, so I don't know first hand. A few of the really old posters would know, maybe Shahhalar or Matthew were about, I dunno.

Really old...*snicker* :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2010-02-10, 05:31 PM
Didn't they make a rule (because of a thread similar to this) that you can't put fake mod-edits in your posts? The banana thread?

Jibar
2010-02-10, 05:35 PM
Didn't they make a rule (because of a thread similar to this) that you can't put fake mod-edits in your posts? The banana thread?

Oh God the bananas.

I remember the bananas.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-02-10, 05:36 PM
What banana thread?

randman22222
2010-02-10, 05:40 PM
I... vaguely remember something about bananas.

Oh. Yes.

Those.

A CRY!
To Destroy the
PLAGUE
Before Us Now
Of
BANANAS

EDIT: I don't recall how fake mod text came into play in the Banana Thread...

Freshmeat
2010-02-10, 05:43 PM

Hm, what if Roland, in his infinite benevolence, turned to powers and arts both dark and forbidden in order to better safeguard the playground against ne'er-do-wells? Powers that multiplied his very being or, failing that, turned him into a omniscient robot, capable of overseeing all threads at all times and punishing infractions before they're even committed! What if!
There's a great story here, folks! Better call George Lucas!

Asta Kask
2010-02-10, 05:47 PM
Roland wants you all to be happy. Are you happy, citizens?

PJ the Epic
2010-02-10, 06:07 PM
I banana thread and I missed it? Awwwwwww...:smallfrown:

Dragonrider
2010-02-10, 06:28 PM
EDIT: I don't recall how fake mod text came into play in the Banana Thread...

Bananas were censored . . .

Dr. Bath
2010-02-10, 06:35 PM
Stop. Saying. The bee word.

Jeez.

randman22222
2010-02-10, 06:37 PM
Stop. Saying. The bee word.

Jeez.

Fear of the banana's name, as abominable as they may be, can only work against those of us willing to stand against their tyranny!

...What is Roland's take on Bananas? :smallconfused:

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-10, 06:41 PM
Fear of the banana's name, as abominable as they may be, can only work against those of us willing to stand against their tyranny!

...What is Roland's take on Bananas? :smallconfused:

Frankly the fact that you can say it is nothing but a tactic, to lure everyone into a false sense of security. Then BAM, he'll get you with he red text.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-02-10, 06:42 PM
Oh God the bananas.

I remember the bananas.

what happened with the bananas? :smalleek:

randman22222
2010-02-10, 06:45 PM
Weeeiiiirrrrd....

I tried running a thread title search in friendly banter using "banana" as the sole keyword, and found... NOTHING.

EDIT: Just tried using the plural. Bingo (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119891).

Dr. Bath
2010-02-10, 06:45 PM
Ixnay on the nanasbay.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-10, 07:20 PM
I sense impending lock gun for mentioning bananas them.

While we wait, what model lock gun do you think Roland uses?

Temotei
2010-02-10, 07:23 PM
Good thread, that. :smallamused:

Starfols
2010-02-10, 07:24 PM

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/bfg.jpg

He wouldn't have it any other way :smallamused:.

Temotei
2010-02-10, 07:25 PM

Doom doom doom doom doom doom doomy doomy doomy doom doom doomy doomy doom doom doom doom doomy doomy doomy doom doomy doom. :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-02-10, 07:43 PM
*Is off to eat a banana*

arguskos
2010-02-10, 07:48 PM

"How many shots do you have left?"
"One clip. You?"
"Just. One."
:smallamused:

Moff Chumley
2010-02-10, 08:02 PM
Can I officially say: I love this thread. Like, more than a friend.

...Gah!

THIS! IS! THE INTERNET!

Can i haz sig nao?

Alteran
2010-02-10, 08:03 PM

http://acandidworld.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/mal-reynolds.jpg
The Moses Brothers Troll-Defense Engine, Forum Model B (with improved flameguards), of course!

And yes, that picture is definitely of Roland. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that steely gaze. Why, that face was the last thing some poor (sorta) unsuspecting (but he deserved it) spammer ever saw.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-02-10, 08:16 PM
Hm, what if Roland, in his infinite benevolence, turned to powers and arts both dark and forbidden in order to better safeguard the playground against ne'er-do-wells?

You totally having a plot for the greatest epic of all time. Seeking to protect the playground, Roland turns to dark powers. Over time, however, he becomes like those he once sought to destroy, eventually turning on the playground in a dark age of bans and locks.
However, you, the Chosen of Destiny's Fate, have been prophesized by the oracles, in their divinings, to combat Roland. Risking bans, text scrubbing and even IP bans, you must fight the dictatorial Admin, his Mod underlings and legions of faithful posters in an effort to liberate the playground once and for all, in what GameSpot has hailed as "easily the greatest game of the year" and IGN called "a perfect 10/10". :smalltongue: Although really, who would trust those guys?

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-10, 08:20 PM
http://acandidworld.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/mal-reynolds.jpg
The Moses Brothers Troll-Defense Engine, Forum Model B (with improved flameguards), of course!

And yes, that picture is definitely of Roland. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that steely gaze. Why, that face was the last thing some poor (sorta) unsuspecting (but he deserved it) spammer ever saw.

Yup, that's Roland "Browncoat" St. Jude alright, hero of the flame war of Serenity Valley- and don't try asking for details about SV, you're far too innocent to fully comprehend the horrors involved... I wasn't there myself, but I don't recall any fruit being involved (although, there might have been a {scrubbed} in there somewhere).

Forever Curious
2010-02-10, 08:22 PM
Can I officially say: I love this thread. Like, more than a friend.

THIS! IS! THE INTERNET!

Can i haz sig nao?

...are you asking if you can use it? Then yes.

Moff Chumley
2010-02-10, 08:22 PM
You totally having a plot for the greatest epic of all time. Seeking to protect the playground, Roland turns to dark powers. Over time, however, he becomes like those he once sought to destroy, eventually turning on the playground in a dark age of bans and locks.
However, you, the Chosen of Destiny's Fate, have been prophesized by the oracles, in their divinings, to combat Roland. Risking bans, text scrubbing and even IP bans, you must fight the dictatorial Admin, his Mod underlings and legions of faithful posters in an effort to liberate the playground once and for all, in what GameSpot has hailed as "easily the greatest game of the year" and IGN called "a perfect 10/10". :smalltongue: Although really, who would trust those guys?

I approve. :smallbiggrin:

Forever Curious
2010-02-10, 08:30 PM

I'd buy it. Make it d20 for the lulz!

AtomicKitKat
2010-02-10, 08:39 PM
Obviously, Roland uses a Glock. Sheesh!:smallamused:

Fiery Diamond
2010-02-10, 08:44 PM
This thread is just plain bananas! crazy!

Forever Curious
2010-02-10, 08:50 PM
Obviously, Roland uses a Glock. Sheesh!:smallamused:

*rim shot*

Shas aia Toriia
2010-02-10, 08:50 PM
I'd buy it. Make it d20 for the lulz!

Quick, to the Homebrew section! :smallbiggrin:

Also, having people say something positively relatd to me has finally pushed me over the edge to making an ego sig. :smallamused:

EDIT: Never mind. :smallfrown: My sig's too big and has too many images.
BUT, if somebody wants to be awesome and win a free internet from me, they could combine my images together, cutting down on space in my sig! :smallwink:

Eon
2010-02-10, 09:00 PM
why would people use memes on the interwebz!? also...

Before you get too attached... Roland is going to take over the Internet and lock all websites but GitP! Quick, prepare what you need and go back to your -

okay, before it happens again. Time is short and when the code word "fun" is put in red text, do what you have been instructed to. In case you need to be reminde-

I mean. When the code word "Unfun is put in blue, give over your hidden websites to Roland for safe keeping. They will be put under lock and key

randman22222
2010-02-10, 09:27 PM
I want to see Roland come in and edit, without changing anything, the posts with fake mod text here. Then it would say they were last edited by Roland... And that would be funny.

But that's not going to happen... Fake mod text is not allowed any more, is it? :smallconfused:

Faulty
2010-02-10, 09:38 PM
No is mind controlled, go back to your citizen fun.

Drakevarg
2010-02-10, 09:40 PM
I want to see Roland come in and edit, without changing anything, the posts with fake mod text here. Then it would say they were last edited by Roland... And that would be funny.

But that's not going to happen... Fake mod text is not allowed any more, is it? :smallconfused:

I think it'd be funnier if he simply {{scrubbed}} all the posts in the topic, then locked it with;

There is no mind control, citizen. Go back to your fun.

Forever Curious
2010-02-10, 09:44 PM
Come to think of it, I'm surprised he hasn't made an appearance...

randman22222
2010-02-10, 09:47 PM

Speak the {{Scrubbed's}} name, and he knocks on your door.

kpenguin
2010-02-10, 09:49 PM
There is mind control, non-citizen. Go about doing something unusual.

DraPrime
2010-02-10, 10:03 PM

I think it's intentional.

Temotei
2010-02-10, 10:05 PM
I think it's intentional.

Possibly. I think he enjoys these threads somewhat. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2010-02-10, 10:27 PM
Aha! I knew the banana thing really started somewhere else. After a whole lot of scrounging (and eventually just looking through the previously posted link) I found it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5349828).
I thought I had something to do with it :smallamused:

Shas aia Toriia
2010-02-10, 10:29 PM
Possibly. I think he enjoys these threads somewhat. :smallsmile:

Well, who wouldn't?
I'd love if somebody made a thread entirely dedicated to how awesome I am.

Temotei
2010-02-10, 10:35 PM
Aha! I knew the banana thing really started somewhere else. After a whole lot of scrounging (and eventually just looking through the previously posted link) I found it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5349828).

You ate underwear? Rebel. :smallamused:

Krade
2010-02-10, 10:42 PM

I always thought it had some to do with... '$2 Whole Bananas.':smalltongue:

I'm aware of how unlikely it is that anyone who reads this gets it.

Stormthorn
2010-02-10, 11:05 PM
Not sure if this is where it comes from, but Roland was a big military leader under Charlamagne. He was pretty much responsible for kicking the butt of the English over and over again, and St. Jude is the patron saint of lost/desperate causes, and the Armenian Apostolic Church.

Which makes no sense for someone on a site like this, but whatev.

Serpentine
2010-02-10, 11:08 PM
I believe the Charlamagne Roland was the basis or inspiration for the old poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" (or whatever it's actually called), which in turn inspired the Dark Tower series. I'm surprised the poem wasn't mentioned at all :smallconfused:
It's a nice name, though. Roland... I think I like it. *puts on list, next to "Xavier", "Linden" and "Jezebel"*

Siosilvar
2010-02-10, 11:19 PM
I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but Roland St. Jude was one of the greatest mods of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Temotei
2010-02-10, 11:20 PM
I believe the Charlamagne Roland was the basis or inspiration for the old poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" (or whatever it's actually called), which in turn inspired the Dark Tower series. I'm surprised the poem wasn't mentioned at all :smallconfused:
It's a nice name, though. Roland... I think I like it. *puts on list, next to "Xavier", "Linden" and "Jezebel"*

Indeed. I like Roland. How about Jeryca? That's unique. :smallamused:

PhoeKun
2010-02-10, 11:28 PM
I always thought it had some to do with... '$2 Whole Bananas.':smalltongue:

No, $2 Bananas are their own can of worms. Although I suppose it is a can that involves a mod, just not dear Mr. St. Jude.

Don't listen to Ondore's lies go giving Roland somebody else's meme. We need those memes.

skywalker
2010-02-11, 12:10 AM

I personally find that one a bit insulting to someone who sacrifices a lot of time (and very nearly sanity) to our forum. So, therefore, unfunny. But that's just me.

Whatever it is, it's named Vera.

No is mind controlled, go back to your citizen fun.

This one is malfunctioning, it seems...

I think it'd be funnier if he simply {{scrubbed}} all the posts in the topic, then locked it with;

There is no mind control, citizen. Go back to your fun.

He has done, it's where the phrase originally came from.

Temotei
2010-02-11, 12:13 AM
No, $2 Bananas are their own can of worms. Although I suppose it is a can that involves a mod, just not dear Mr. St. Jude.

Don't listen to Ondore's lies go giving Roland somebody else's meme. We need those memes.

Darn Vahn (Vaan?).

arguskos
2010-02-11, 12:18 AM
I personally find that one a bit insulting to someone who sacrifices a lot of time (and very nearly sanity) to our forum. So, therefore, unfunny. But that's just me.
I believe it stems from the fact that Roland has done such an amazing job over time modding this forum that someone proposed that only a coordinated team could be as on-top of everything as he seems to be. In any case, it is certainly not meant to be insulting, only mildly humorous. I also find it interesting that you chose to specifically tag my comment, though I was responding to someone else who mentioned it first.

However, in the name of the peace, I'll offer my apologies for the comment, and will happily bow out of this discussion if you will as well.

skywalker
2010-02-11, 12:25 AM
I believe it stems from the fact that Roland has done such an amazing job over time modding this forum that someone proposed that only a coordinated team could be as on-top of everything as he seems to be. In any case, it is certainly not meant to be insulting, only mildly humorous. I also find it interesting that you chose to specifically tag my comment, though I was responding to someone else who mentioned it first.

However, in the name of the peace, I'll offer my apologies for the comment, and will happily bow out of this discussion if you will as well.

Dude. I understand everything you said. It all crossed my mind while I was typing. I was providing an explanation of my position, and it came across as stiff and overbearing. Which I didn't mean it to do. It is not my best night for post-crafting, it seems.

I'm bad at tagging comments, apparently. I've been called out for that twice in the past week. I tagged yours because of the second part, which was specifically about the pre-mod status of all the mods, and not just Roland. That's why I tagged yours.

I will offer apologies as well.

Starfols
2010-02-11, 12:26 AM
Darn Vahn (Vaan?).

He's not Vaan! He's Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg! :smalltongue:

arguskos
2010-02-11, 12:29 AM
Dude. I understand everything you said. It all crossed my mind while I was typing. I was providing an explanation of my position, and it came across as stiff and overbearing. Which I didn't mean it to do. It is not my best night for post-crafting, it seems.

I'm bad at tagging comments, apparently. I've been called out for that twice in the past week. I tagged yours because of the second part, which was specifically about the pre-mod status of all the mods, and not just Roland. That's why I tagged yours.

I will offer apologies as well.
Meh, it happens. No big deal really. :smallwink:

As for my pre-mod status comment, I really don't know about that too much, and just repeated what I'd heard. I do wonder if we still have anyone from the 2005 era of the forums around to give us a rundown on the historical facts. I would just PM a Mod or the Giant and ask, but they've got better stuff to do.

Temotei
2010-02-11, 12:39 AM
He's not Vaan! He's Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg! :smalltongue:

Indeed. :smallamused:

That section was so annoying, and yet, one of my favorite parts, just because of the humor.

Coidzor
2010-02-11, 03:32 AM
... :smalleek: I just read the bit about... and... :smalleek: ...wow...My tongue is crying out in pain at the idea of bananas now. And I used to enjoy eating those.

_Zoot_
2010-02-11, 03:52 AM
This is most likely the only good forum in the whole internet that has a standing warrant on bananas...

:biggrin:

AtomicKitKat
2010-02-11, 12:13 PM
This one is malfunctioning, it seems...

Obviously, it's Faulty! *bullet-times the Pun Police's shot*:smallcool:

Darklord Bright
2010-02-11, 12:55 PM
Roland is inside all of us.

We are the Roland. You will be assimilated.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-11, 01:10 PM
Roland is inside all of us.

We are the Roland. You will be assimilated.

Roland St. Borg? Hmmm, this idea intrigues me :smallbiggrin:

Kallisti
2010-02-11, 07:56 PM

...Gah!

Why, does it cross the streams?

He has done, it's where the phrase originally came from.

Lies! Dirty filthy lies made of Lithium Einsteinium!

He originally posted it on a thread about why GitP is so popular. Somebody said the popularity is because of the mind-control beams. And then Roland showed up and posted.

~There is no mind control, citizen. Go back to your fun.~

And that's the story of the Roland St. Jude mind-control meme.

My temptation to make the closing sentence of that "And that's how I met your mother" was immense.

Krade
2010-02-11, 09:07 PM
@ white text ^: It must all the mi-there is no mind control citizen, go back to your fun.

See? And here I thought no one would know what I was talking about.:smallbiggrin:

Fawkes
2010-02-11, 10:52 PM
We do not discuss bananas publicly.

This is probably my favorite thing ever said by a mod ever.

"Jezebel"

Why would you do that to someone?

Forever Curious
2010-02-11, 10:54 PM
Roland St. Borg? Hmmm, this idea intrigues me :smallbiggrin:

I am Roland of St. Jude. You will respond to my questions.:smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2010-02-11, 11:00 PM
My temptation to make the closing sentence of that "And that's how I met your mother" was immense.

Dude. I feel ya. :smallbiggrin:

I do that all the time...

skywalker
2010-02-11, 11:51 PM
I do wonder if we still have anyone from the 2005 era of the forums around to give us a rundown on the historical facts. I would just PM a Mod or the Giant and ask, but they've got better stuff to do.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=4555)are (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=17678)a couple (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=9900).

Serpentine
2010-02-11, 11:54 PM
Why would you do that to someone?Because it's a lovely name, and a name shouldn't be tarnished by one person who happened to had it (and who probably wasn't all that bad anyway). Exhibit A: Adolf. Perfectly adequate name, little stigma in practice. Julius, also nice, no stigma beyond mild wankery. Noone accuses people called Harold or Jane of being serial killers. Etc, etc, so on and so forth. I'M TAKING IT BACK! FOR JUSTICE!

edit: The Legend of the Mods has been told heaps of times. I'd jazz it up, but I can't be bothered, so it goes like this: The Giant needed help moderating his forum when it got so big. So he approached selected regulars and asked whether they'd mod for him. Several of them accepted, and became Moderators. The End.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-11, 11:56 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=4555)are (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=17678)a couple (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=9900).

Out of those I think SMEE is easiest to contact on the boards.

Drakevarg
2010-02-11, 11:57 PM
It's always sad when natural disasters, corrupt tyrants, and crazed murderers have to go and hog perfectly good names.

For example I doubt there have been nearly as many Katrinas born recently.

Kallisti
2010-02-12, 12:07 AM
Jezebel is a very pretty name.

Besides, I'd freakin' love to have a name like Judas, or Jezebel if I were a woman. It'd be very unique.

PhoeKun
2010-02-12, 12:10 AM

Oh. Well.

See if I tell you guys anything at all, then. Hmph. *pouts*

Flickerdart
2010-02-12, 12:22 AM
Because it's a lovely name, and a name shouldn't be tarnished by one person who happened to had it (and who probably wasn't all that bad anyway). Exhibit A: Adolf. Perfectly adequate name, little stigma in practice. Julius, also nice, no stigma beyond mild wankery. Noone accuses people called Harold or Jane of being serial killers. Etc, etc, so on and so forth. I'M TAKING IT BACK! FOR JUSTICE!
Personally, I think Lucifer is a pretty decent name, and it's even got a diminutive (Lou) built in. Unlike Julius or Adolf (Joe and Al? I dunno).

Kallisti
2010-02-12, 12:24 AM
@PhoeKun: We can haz storytime? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=16319)

@^ Yes. Lucifer would be an awesome name.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-12, 12:29 AM
Is there any point in telling you guys not to bring religion into this thread? or is this thread kind of doomed anyway?

Serpentine
2010-02-12, 12:30 AM
We're just talking about names... But it is off-topic anyways.

So... Roland. Roland Roland Roland. Roley-poley Ro-ro. Ro-ro, Ro-ro, ra ra ra!

Mando Knight
2010-02-12, 12:32 AM
Personally, I think Lucifer is a pretty decent name, and it's even got a diminutive (Lou) built in.

Also Lulu (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CodeGeass).

Fawkes
2010-02-12, 12:49 AM
@^ Yes. Lucifer would be an awesome name.

That's gotta be child abuse.

AtomicKitKat
2010-02-12, 01:19 AM
Personally, I think Lucifer is a pretty decent name, and it's even got a diminutive (Lou) built in. Unlike Julius or Adolf (Joe and Al? I dunno).

Lucy! Cifer/Syfer! Jules, Addie. And Jezebel=Jez/Jaz/Jessie/Belle/Zeb/Easy-B. It's basically J+Isabel. Yeah, I can make up "cute" nicknames really easily(and Jules has been around for ages, I think even Asterix uses it as such).

Kallisti
2010-02-12, 01:22 AM

I would love to be named Lucifer. It would amuse me endlessly to have that be my given name. It'd be so great. Of course, I'd have to become a born-again Christian just for the irony. Then rebel.

Coidzor
2010-02-12, 02:01 AM
Yup. You just had to go there. *facepalm*

Considering that Jezebel is not only taken to be a reference to an evil woman and a number of people think it means whore, it's actually an accepted synonym for whore.

Basically, even more official than the whole John = toilet thing, and slightly higher up than the John = prostitute's client bit.

More importantly, I'm wondering whether Roland has any Norwegian in him now.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-12, 02:12 AM

Various courts would consider it such yes.

Somebody got their child taken away from them because they named their Child Adolf hitler.

kpenguin
2010-02-12, 02:14 AM
Bah, one German dictator and the name is ruined for everyone. I don't see anyone balking at naming their kid Joseph.

Serpentine
2010-02-12, 02:35 AM
Somebody got their child taken away from them because they named their Child Adolf hitler.I think that was really more because of the wider familial circumstances of which that name was indicative than solely the name itself.

Considering that Jezebel is not only taken to be a reference to an evil woman and a number of people think it means whore, it's actually an accepted synonym for whore.Whether that Jezebel was actually "evil" is debatable, and I think the colloquial association is obscure enough that in 15-20 years, when it would actually matter to my hypothetical offspring, it won't be too widely known (evidence: noone else in my class so much as raised an eyebrow when my high school art teacher called a couple of girls "jezebels"). Further to that, I would not object to said offspring contracting the name however she likes and in as official circumstances as she likes. Finally, it's just plain a nice name. Beautiful, in fact.
I'm regretting bringing this up at all, now :smallsigh: Why did I bring it up?
edit: Oh yeah. Meh.
Shall we move on?

Coidzor
2010-02-12, 02:57 AM
If there was anywhere to move on to. I think we've mostly played this out if we're not going to snark back and forth at one another from being antsy while waiting for the appearance we've been anticipating for awhile.

Eldan
2010-02-12, 04:33 AM
Lucifer isn't a name, though... it's a title. And an astronomical object. But well, when has that ever stopped english speaking people from using it as a name :smallwink: (Also, yes, I'm perfectly aware that most names are pretty close to being titles anyway when you go back far enough.)

And why can't I name my children Adolf "Stalin" Mussolini-Mao anymore? All such pretty names. :smalltongue:

_Zoot_
2010-02-12, 04:50 AM
Ok, I now see why we have a standing no religion policy, it really can offend some people. :smallannoyed:

Serpentine
2010-02-12, 04:52 AM
And why can't I name my children Adolf "Stalin" Mussolini-Mao anymore? All such pretty names. :smalltongue:Well, Stalin and Mussolini are surnames, for starters...

Zoot: I'm curious about what's offended you, but that's probably best kept to PMs.

Coidzor
2010-02-12, 05:00 AM
Perhaps the raw silliness of bringing up the topic in the first place.

Surnames can be plugged into the slot that middle names use, as well as be used as nick names. And the Mussolini was in a compound surname with Mao.

Speaking of which, there is a cat curled up on mah bed.

Eldan
2010-02-12, 05:07 AM
Stalin was really more of a nickname, though. His "real" surname was Dzugashvili (I know I misspelled that somehow). Anyway, I apologize for the stupid hyperbole above.

I can just say this on the subject of Adolf: at least in Switzerland it seems to be the case that german names, which still used to be the most common fifty or so years ago, seem to be mostly dying out. All of them, not just Adolf. All the people of my age or younger I know have names of roman, greek or hebrew origin. Tons of Christophers, Samuels, Fabians, Urs' or Gabriels, but not a single Hans, Richard or Ulrich.

Sometimes in their french versions, but still. I did however once have a pretty old neighbour named Adolf Kaufmann, though. He was, however, about 80 at the time, and that was certainly more than 15 years ago.

KuReshtin
2010-02-12, 06:02 AM
Names usually come and go in cycles, so a name that was rather common at the start of the 20th century probably died off in the middle of the century, only to have a resurgence again at the end of the century.

I know that's the case in my family, at least.
A lot of my younger cousins have names that is traditionally 'old' names in Sweden, such as Moa, Albin, Edvin and Sara (although Sara is one of those universal names that never really go out of style).

Anuan
2010-02-12, 06:20 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and start a Name Discussion thread, as it's an interesting topic (when veered away from...nastiness) and I'm not sure how it's ended up in here anyway.

Serpentine
2010-02-12, 06:31 AM
I thought Roland was a nice name, and mentioned the other names on my list of "nice names".
Yeah...

Forever Curious
2010-02-12, 08:56 AM
Well, as far as names are concerned I li-there is no mind control, go back on topic, citizens.

KuReshtin
2010-02-12, 09:19 AM
And just to reiterate. Roland is a pretty awesome Mod.

Coidzor
2010-02-12, 10:20 AM
<_<

>_>

I just had a horrible thought occur to me, what with the rarity of the other mods being sighted...

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-12, 10:24 AM
<_<

>_>

I just had a horrible thought occur to me, what with the rarity of the other mods being sighted...

I know what you're thinking....Cannibalism. That's how he became a super-mod :smalleek:

Coidzor
2010-02-12, 10:25 AM
Modibalism, even.

Xiagu
2010-02-12, 10:47 AM
There can be only one!

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-12, 11:00 AM
I know what you're thinking....Cannibalism. That's how he became a super-mod :smalleek:

Yes, Roland knows where all the other mods may be found, and how much of each of them is lef-There is no mind control. I will go back to my fun.

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-12, 11:04 AM
<_<

>_>

That's right, there can be only one. Just kidding, please come back other mods!

Sheriff of Moddingham: When you notice you're in real world religion/politics territory, the result should be to stop talking about it not dance around it trying to continue the conversation without it going too wrong. As you apparently just can't leave it alone, I have to lock this thread.

P.S. You guys are pretty awesome, too.