PDA

View Full Version : Monsters and Other Childish Things

truemane
2010-02-09, 09:46 PM
For those who've never heard of this truly delightful game: Monsters and Other Childish Things (http://www.arcdream.com/monsters/)

I recently got hold of this game from a friend of mine and I've spent the last few days reading through the books and giggling a lot. I have to admit I'm quite taken with the whole set-up. The system looks flexible and vague enough to allow for improvisation and interpretation and seems rigid enough to guide the process.

And the setting and tone is just the kind of communal story-telling atmosphere that tends to set my brain all a-tingle.

So pleased am I with the game that I was considering starting a game of such here in the Playground. A small game. Casual. Probably something close to series of one-shots involving various scenarios to see how the system responds to different things.

So, tl;dr, does anyone have any direct experience of Monsters and Other Childish Things? Either the default setting or even the Candlewick Manor and Curriculum of Conspiracy supplements? Are there any pitfalls I should be watching out for? Does the system even work here on PbP? Fluid and dynamic can be a double edged sword in this type of medium.

Any advice or general discussion would be much appreciated.

Raum
2010-02-09, 11:35 PM
I like what I've seen of Monsters, but haven't played or run it so can't help much there. If I remember correctly, it uses the ORE system - which is fairly fast and gritty.

If you do run something online I might be interested in joining...schedule allowing.

Kol Korran
2010-02-10, 02:07 AM
it looks lovely, and i would love to play if i have the time. though i don't have the rule set.

Dust
2010-02-10, 02:38 AM
My local group has just started a game of Monsters. I haven't read the rules extensively - only know the player-specific information, really - but I can discuss a few problems we've had in our group.

- Trying to keep the party working together has been difficult, especially finding common goals in a group that contains the nerdy types as well as schoolyard bullies.

- The rules for converting psychological damage to physical damage between kid and monster, and vice versa, took us a few tries to get right.

truemane
2010-02-10, 12:23 PM
Those both make a lot of sense. The first I was anticipating and planning on sidestepping in character generation. The second is completely true. I don't understand them at all. I have to read that whole section again.