PDA

View Full Version : The World is Just Awesome

Amiel
2010-02-10, 02:27 AM
The World Is Just Awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_f98qOGY0). This, definitely this, is what the World is; we kinda do take it for granted though, which is both saddening and disappointing.

What do you love about our world?

I love its glorious dawns
I love its splendid peaks
I love its beautiful oceans, rivers, lakes
I love its creatures, great and small
I love Nature
I love its rolling grasslands
I love its meandering mountains
I love its dense forests
I love its scorching deserts
I love its pristine snowfields
I love its infinite diversity
I love its randomness

The world is an amazing place (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQx0RqKUCX0)

A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc)

Ravens_cry
2010-02-10, 02:38 AM
Boom, dee, yada, baby!
It is such a brilliant place, and I wouldn't change a thing.

thubby
2010-02-10, 02:48 AM
i like the warm fuzzies as much as the next guy, but you seem to be the lord of showing up with stuff late:smalltongue:

Boom, dee, yada, baby!
It is such a brilliant place, and I wouldn't change a thing.

we have a world filled with natural disaster, disease, and spiders. it is a pretty awesome place, but lets not forget it is trying to kill us, and has a good track record.

Mordokai
2010-02-10, 03:04 AM
we have a world filled with natural disaster, disease, and spiders. it is a pretty awesome place, but lets not forget it is trying to kill us, and has a good track record.

Well lets also not forget who started it :smallwink:

Things I like are too many to count. As are the things I don't like. All in all, it's a decent place to live in, but I don't doubt there are better places as well out there.

Ravens_cry
2010-02-10, 03:31 AM
Spiders and disease have a place in this world. Germs and viruses are just trying to survive like the rest of us. Spiders, though running into a web makes me scream like a castrato, are also just trying to survive. Death is simply the price of living.
Dust we were born, and dust we shall return. But for a moment, less then a eye blink in what will be the infinite progression of an ever growing universe, we are dust that has loved, dreamt, wept, and ran, with all the wonder and majesty of all creation. We are a creature aware of itself, and others and able to take part in the dance that has spanned for over three billion years on this planet, and who knows how long on others.
Is such a chance, such a pure and blessed gift, not worth some of the 'heartache. . .flesh is heir to'? A gift no star can know, no nebula can conceive?
I do.

TheBST
2010-02-10, 03:50 AM
Yeah, the world's interesting to ay the least, but when people start talking in overblown, purple speeches about it, throwing in quotes from Shakespeare and the like, they really do sound like tossers.

Carl Sagan, I'm looking at you.

Ravens_cry
2010-02-10, 04:10 AM
Yeah, the world's interesting to ay the least, but when people start talking in overblown, purple speeches about it, throwing in quotes from Shakespeare and the like, they really do sound like tossers.

Carl Sagan, I'm looking at you.
It's a place unlike anywhere in the solar system or even, as far as we know, the universe, a place you can breath the air and bear the weather.
How is that not. . .well. . . awesome? As in, inducing a sense of wonder or awe?
However it came to be, this is a very special place you and I inhabit.

Life is wasted on the living, I suppose.

Serpentine
2010-02-10, 04:37 AM
It is such a brilliant place, and I wouldn't change a thing.Well, there is one thing I'd change... But, that one thing aside, the planet Earth is pretty incredible.

Also, I've been meaning to listen to that song. Guess now I will...

edit: This all reminds me of the SBS ads, like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLwSiSxluKs) (tagline: "Six billion stories and counting.") The main one I was reminded of had the tagline "The world is an amazing place.", but I can't find it on YouTube...

thubby
2010-02-10, 05:19 AM
attempted warm fuzzies...

life>non-life, obviously. that doesn't make the world a perfect place. to say you wouldn't change a thing is cruel to the millions, nay billions who live in agony, or those who die young, never knowing more than suffering.

ugh, now I'm the downer in an otherwise upbeat thread.
yes the world is amazing and beautiful, but it needs work.

_Zoot_
2010-02-10, 05:43 AM
Right now I would have to disagree, there are some very nice things about the world but it isn't awesome.

Yes, I am in a depressed mood right now, why do you ask?

Totally Guy
2010-02-10, 05:45 AM
If I was Down Under the world would be right
I'd be right by her side — I'd buy vegemite
I'd learn how to talk with an Aussie-esque flair
I'd make fun of New Zealand so I'd fit in there

I'm brewing a potion to set the world straight
Make it all like Australia before it's too late
For there's too much pain caused by too many men
Soon there'll only be love thanks to Love Potion 10

Asta Kask
2010-02-10, 05:46 AM
I love the fact that the world contains women. They are nice to oogle.

XiaoTie
2010-02-10, 05:54 AM
Spiders and disease have a place in this world. Germs and viruses are just trying to survive like the rest of us. Spiders, though running into a web makes me scream like a castrato, are also just trying to survive. Death is simply the price of living.
Dust we were born, and dust we shall return. But for a moment, less then a eye blink in what will be the infinite progression of an ever growing universe, we are dust that has loved, dreamt, wept, and ran, with all the wonder and majesty of all creation. We are a creature aware of itself, and others and able to take part in the dance that has spanned for over three billion years on this planet, and who knows how long on others.
Is such a chance, such a pure and blessed gift, not worth some of the 'heartache. . .flesh is heir to'? A gift no star can know, no nebula can conceive?
I do.

Rock on!

The world is an awesome place :D

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-02-10, 09:03 AM
Waking up and being able to breathe is awesome.

/asthmatic blog

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-10, 10:00 AM
I love the fact that the world contains women. They are nice to oogle.

Ogle. Not oogle.

KuReshtin
2010-02-10, 10:11 AM
Ogle. Not oogle.

It's ok. He's from the west coast of Sweden. They talk like that over there. :smallsmile:

Asta Kask
2010-02-10, 12:07 PM
Ogle. Not oogle.

I stand corrected. I still like ogling women, though. They're like men-plus - you can do all the things you do with men with them, and then some extra functions! :smallbiggrin:

The Extinguisher
2010-02-10, 12:11 PM
The world is great, sure. But the universe is so much cooler.

Also (http://xkcd.com/442/).

Emong
2010-02-10, 12:38 PM
The world is great, sure. But the universe is so much cooler.

Also (http://xkcd.com/442/).

Also also (http://www.vimeo.com/7151435)

10 characters

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 03:10 AM

The earth is too weak to kill anything off. Only asteroids have the manpower.

thubby
2010-02-11, 06:16 AM

i would like to draw your attention to the vast majority of species, which are now extinct. asteroids are flashes in the pan, and don't have the continuous destruction of, say, earth's cycle of ice ages.

flyingchicken
2010-02-11, 06:22 AM
Oh you first worlders such big kidders

KuReshtin
2010-02-11, 06:30 AM

Earth usually finds ways to kill us off in new and creative ways once we figure out how to cure Earth's previous attempts at killing us.

We cure smallpox, Earth counters with HIV/AIDS and Ebola.
We find ways to contain Ebola and stabilise people living with HIV/AIDS, Earth counters with Necrotizing Fasciitis (flesh-eating disease).
We find ways to battle that, Earth counters with Bird Flu.
We find vaccines for Bird flu, Earth counters with Swine Flu.

Not to mention all the venomous and poisonous creatures and plants scattered all over the planet.
Earth is contantly trying to kill us.
And when she finds that she can't come up with anything for a while, she just makes people stupid, and let them kill themselves. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2010-02-11, 06:35 AM
Yes... Earth is awesome in its ability to (attempt to, at least) balance out its ecosystems, and recover from disasters and (to a lesser extent) pests.

KuReshtin
2010-02-11, 06:42 AM
Of course, in the history of mankind, I believe that common basic human stupidity has killed off more people than Earth has.

Weimann
2010-02-11, 06:58 AM
The world is indeed just awesome!

And it sometimes tries to kill us, but still.

SilentNight
2010-02-11, 10:03 AM
I must say it's an awesome place all things considered. Looking pretty nice this morning too. It's nice to be back in FB.

Dexam
2010-02-11, 08:28 PM
Of course, in the history of mankind, I believe that common basic human stupidity has killed off more people than Earth has.

If I recall correctly, I believe that mosquito-borne illnesses are still the #1 record holder for "Most Human Fatalities Through History".
Curse those tiny flying assassins. :smallmad:

Kallisti
2010-02-11, 08:43 PM

Really? I never would have guessed *that.*

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-13, 12:06 PM
to say you wouldn't change a thing is cruel to the millions, nay billions who live in agony, or those who die young, never knowing more than suffering.
I suspect that this may be an overstatement, but I concur with your basic sentiment. Life may be always beautiful, but it is not always good. Far too often its beauty is the beauty of tragedy. I personally find this dissatisfying. That someone else would find it satisfactory is mildly disturbing. And only mildly because it's not all that terribly surprising.

SurlySeraph
2010-02-13, 12:14 PM
There's good in the world. There's also a lot of utter horribleness. As a human being, it is your responsibility to increase the good and decrease the bad to the utmost of your abilities.

Solaris
2010-02-13, 12:17 PM
i like the warm fuzzies as much as the next guy, but you seem to be the lord of showing up with stuff late:smalltongue:

If we're talking biosphere, then so do we. I don't know about you, but my species being an extinction event is something brag-worthy.

Things I like are too many to count. As are the things I don't like. All in all, it's a decent place to live in, but I don't doubt there are better places as well out there.

It did. (http://www.arch.ox.ac.uk/TOBA.html)

Ah, no. Not even close. Nice try, though. Like Dexam said, it's skeeter-borne diseases rating #1. According to some scientists, one out of every two people who has ever lived died of malaria. Adjusting for hyperbole, that'd still be very, very impressive.

Fawkes
2010-02-13, 12:19 PM

The spiders?

SurlySeraph
2010-02-13, 12:25 PM
http://weirdimals.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/mystaceus2.jpg

We didn't mean to.

Solaris
2010-02-13, 01:01 PM
http://weirdimals.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/mystaceus2.jpg

We didn't mean to.

... That's almost cute.

Amiel
2010-02-27, 10:10 AM
- There's a saying; "yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present"

Anuan
2010-02-27, 10:20 AM
If I was Down Under the world would be right
I'd be right by her side — I'd buy vegemite
I'd learn how to talk with an Aussie-esque flair
I'd make fun of New Zealand so I'd fit in there

I'm brewing a potion to set the world straight
Make it all like Australia before it's too late
For there's too much pain caused by too many men
Soon there'll only be love thanks to Love Potion 10

...I like this. I wish to know where it is from.

... That's almost cute.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll75/TexasRevolutionary/Pooties/Is_it_can_be_hugs_tiem_now_spider.jpg

KuReshtin
2010-02-27, 10:24 AM
- There's a saying; "yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present"

Kung Fu Panda

Amiel
2010-02-27, 10:30 AM
The original quote often reads as the following; "The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present."

Can be found in Alice Morse Earle's 1902 book, "Sun Dials and Roses of Yesterday. Garden Delights"

Also; I really like Kung Fu Panda. It was amazing.

Alyss
2010-02-27, 01:47 PM
Amiel, you are insane. The world is a terrible place.

Symmys
2010-02-27, 01:56 PM
This planet is full of messed up stuff.

But I love it anyway.