PDA

View Full Version : [4E]Tiamat-Goddess of adventuring?

JJ_Rhodes
2010-02-10, 02:59 AM
I am currently playing an unaligned lv 5 Longtooth tempest fighter in my groops D&D game.As my character is a worshiper of Tiamat i have found the truth behind the teachings of the goddess of killing things and taking there stuff.

Some might argue that having an evil deity might disrupt party teamwork.i say nay, it has helped me.When i put a price tag on party members lives.The price of a bunch of a bunch of fleshy low AC comrades is very high indeed.To further elaborate,I have done the math of how much gold my gear is worth,given that my party has divided up loot on the fact that giving me the items that will be good for me to keep there squishy asses alive(instead of the "even" cut method).the total listed worth of magic items that i didn't shell out for comes out to 14,600 gp.

good for a lv 5 char no?

In conclusion its better for the more powerful to have more than the week.Some might that it was smart kind hearted party members that brought me my Wealth,or that its only because i am the party defender,or perhaps i am just a bit lucky.But its hard to here the naysayers through the Jingle of my bed role filed with the gold that i could have spent on all the items that my companions (and there now dead original owners) have left in my so worthy hands.

NeoVid
2010-02-10, 03:12 AM
Your gear adds up to that much? What the hell. I guess the game isn't as loot-starved as I thought.

And everyone has been sensible about giving loot to whoever can use it best... which is why my Invoker has almost nothing. That's why I called the big quest reward for this adventure.

I have to say, I'm still not really seeing how being a follower of the goddess of greed is helping you. I'm still remembering how much effort it took me to convince you to actually use that pile of gold you had saved so I could enchant some Iron Armbands for you.

Yakk
2010-02-10, 10:41 AM
An advance start L 5 character has a L 6, 5 4 and enough cash for another L 4 item.

Price of these items is 1000 + 840 + 680 + 680 = 3200 gp

The 6 highest level items that you should have seen before hitting level 6 would be a level 9, two level 8, and three level 7 items.

4200 + 6800 + 7800 = 18800 gp.

So yes, that value is within the range of reasonable values.

BobTheDog
2010-02-10, 10:51 AM
The only thing I don't get is how

"The group gives me all the good loot so I don't kill them"

equals

"An evil PC doesn't disrupt the game".
:smallconfused:

Worira
2010-02-10, 11:00 AM
Not so that he doesn't kill them, so that he can effectively protect them.

Tiki Snakes
2010-02-10, 11:11 AM
Somewhere in there is a point that makes a lot of sense. :)
The net gains of having a party at your back, allowing you to take more stuff from tougher people, really does jive pretty well with Tiamat's doctrine.

All hail the Goddess of Killing things and Taking their stuff. :smallcool:

Arakune
2010-02-10, 11:16 AM
Hilarious, and very true.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-10, 11:20 AM
I'm fairly certain the rest of your party could take you on. Heck I'm level five and I could probably take you on depending on your character's defenses. (Come on. I'm bored.

Also, I think your guy is evil if he worships and evil deity and threatens to kill people if they don't give him good stuff.

Altima
2010-02-10, 12:11 PM
Also, I think your guy is evil if he worships and evil deity and threatens to kill people if they don't give him good stuff.

So the difference between someone being evil and someone being an adventurer is which deity he or she worships?

Interesting...

Artanis
2010-02-10, 12:13 PM
An advance start L 5 character has a L 6, 5 4 and enough cash for another L 4 item.

Price of these items is 1000 + 840 + 680 + 680 = 3200 gp

The 6 highest level items that you should have seen before hitting level 6 would be a level 9, two level 8, and three level 7 items.

4200 + 6800 + 7800 = 18800 gp.

So yes, that value is within the range of reasonable values.

For the starting character's gear, you're one level off on the prices. L6 items are 1800, L5 are 1000, and L4 are 840. So a level 5 starting character winds up with 4480gp worth of starting gear. Of course, 4480 is STILL a long ways away from 14600 anyways :smalltongue:

The prices for the other calculation are right though.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-10, 12:15 PM
So the difference between someone being evil and someone being an adventurer is which deity he or she worships?

Interesting...

willing to kill people if they don't give him what he wants is also a factor. Not just the god he worships. Although worshipping an evil god like Tiamat doesn't exactly help his case. In fact if you follow her 4th edition origin story (I use the 3.5 version myself) I think Tiamat qualifies as evil personified. or I guess Dragonified.:smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2010-02-10, 12:28 PM
Closer to 'worships an evil deity and threatens to kill people that he depends on to accomplish things'. Defenders don't do so hot when they don't have a party to defend, making their marks and associated abilities useless, and unless they've multiclassed or hybridized, they won't be able to heal themselves or hurt the enemy faster than it hurts them.

Worira
2010-02-10, 01:01 PM
Not so that he doesn't kill them, so that he can effectively protect them.

I feel this bears repeating.

Akal Saris
2010-02-10, 01:10 PM
Sounds like the reasoning behind my old Talon of Tiamat character - keep your friends close, because they're like a mobile hoard of treasure that will fight for you =)

(And as a sidenote, I'm pretty sure Tavar Hoardtale was the only half-fire elemental bard/talon of tiamat that has ever been played at a gaming table - at least I hope so)

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-10, 10:29 PM
Interesting. I've oft thought that Erythnul makes for a good god for adventurers in 3.5. He definitely emphasizes the "killing things" end of things over the "taking their stuff" part, though.

I suppose that an ideal Evil god of adventuring would promote greed, theft, and bloodshed. A Good god of adventuring would encourage his followers to seek out people who need quests done.

Asbestos
2010-02-10, 10:37 PM
Somewhere in there is a point that makes a lot of sense. :)
The net gains of having a party at your back, allowing you to take more stuff from tougher people, really does jive pretty well with Tiamat's doctrine.

All hail the Goddess of Killing things and Taking their stuff. :smallcool:
She also has a number of consorts on hand, which is the dream of many an adventurer.

Closak
2010-02-11, 10:04 AM
She also has a number of consorts on hand, which is the dream of many an adventurer.

Oh hell yes.

Tiamat is not only the goddess of evil dragons.
She's also really freaking hawt :smallbiggrin:

...*Goes of to bang Tiamat*

*Knocks out a Pit Fiend when he tries to throw me out of hell* You are in my way bud.

ocato
2010-02-11, 10:22 AM
If everyone is happy, this sounds like an amusing party dynamic. If everyone isn't happy, have a backup character in mind for when the controller chucks you into a spiked pit.

The thing about intimidation as a dynamic for controlling adventurers is that they eventually will at least try to rise as one and slay you.