PDA

View Full Version : [PEACH] Shadowflame Initiate ToB prestige class

BSW
2010-02-10, 10:16 AM
So, this is a prestige class that I more or less tailor made to cater to one of the players in my current campaign. He's still too low level to enter the class, but I've begun to worry that some of the abilities (particularly the capstone) are overpowered. I'd like to fix any issues like that before it becomes an issue.

Shadowflame Initiate

Entry Requirements
BASE ATTACK BONUS: +6
FEATS: Desert Fire, Shadow Blade, Mobility
MARTIAL MANEUVERS: One Desert Wind maneuver, one Shadow Hand maneuver.
HD: 1d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Shadowflame Lore|
1|
0|

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Shadowflame Skirmish +1d6|
0|
0|

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Vanishing Flame|
1|
1|

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Shadowflame Skirmish +1d6, +1 AC|
0|
0|

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Quick to Act +2|
1|
0|

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+2|Shadowflame Skirmish +2d6, +1 AC|
0||

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+2|Flickering Shadow|
1|
0|

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+2|Shadowflame Skirmish +2d6, +2 AC|
0|
0|

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+3|Quick to Act +4|
1|
1|

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+3|Synthesis of Flame and Shadow|
0|
0|
0[/table]

Class Skills
An shadowflame initiate’s class skills and (key abilities for those skills) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Knowledge (local), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int Modifier

Class Features
WEAPON AND ARMOR PROFICIENCY: A shadowflame initiate does not gain any new weapon or armor proficiencies.

MANEUVERS: At each odd-numbered level, you gain one new maneuver known from either the Desert Wind or Shadow Hand disciplines. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisite to learn it. You add your full shadowflame initiate levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest level maneuvers known.

MANEUVERS READIED: At 3rd, 6th, and 9th levels, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.

STANCES KNOWN: At 4th level and again at 8th level, you learn a new martial stance from either the Desert Wind or Shadow Hand disciplines. You must meet a stance’s prerequisite to learn it.

SHADOWFLAME LORE (SU): Whenever you would deal fire or cold damage with a maneuver or feat, you may instead deal any combination of fire and cold damage.

SHADOWFLAME SKIRMISH (SU): If you move more than 10 feet, your next melee attack or strike made before the end of your turn deals an additional 1d6 fire or cold damage, as you choose. This bonus increases to 2d6 at 6th level. Additionally, at 4th level, this ability grants a +1 AC bonus in any round in which you move more than 10 feet. At 8th level, this AC bonus increases to +2.

VANISHING FLAME (SU): When you are in a Desert Wind stance, you may expend a Shadow Hand maneuver to avoid damage from a single attack or effect that requires an attack roll or allows a Reflex save.

QUICK TO ACT (EX): You gain the indicated bonus to your initiative rolls.

FLICKERING SHADOW (EX): When you are in a Shadow Hand stance, you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from moving out of a threatened square.

SYNTHESIS OF FLAME AND SHADOW: Whenever you use a Desert Wind maneuver, you may recover the use of one expended Shadow Hand maneuver. Whenever you use a Shadow Hand maneuver, you may recover the use of one expended Desert Wind maneuver. Only one maneuver may be recovered in this manner each round.

As I said, I'm concerned that Synthesis of Flame and Shadow is overpowered. I'm currently leaning towards limiting it to strikes only, but I'm not entirely sure that a special recovery mechanic like this wouldn't be overpowered no matter how I limited it. If it can't be fixed, I'd love some suggestions for a suitable replacement capstone.

I'd also greatly appreciate any advice on other issues that you may see with the class.

EDIT: Whoops, accidentally left out the entry requirements and HD. :smallredface: