PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Paladins with different special mounts

FishAreWet
2010-02-10, 11:25 AM
Where are the rules? Heavy Warhorses are lame.

EDIT: jk I found them. ignore the thread.

JeenLeen
2010-02-10, 11:28 AM
I know some PrC allow you to get a different special mount. There is one in Sandstorm that lets you get a desert worm creature as a special mount.

I think some books might have racial substitutions: elves can get a giant owl, or something like that, for example, but I don't really recall.

Edit: missed the OP's edit.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-10, 11:29 AM
there's the dragon steed mount in Draconomicon. With it you can get a draggonel or even an actual dragon later. However you have to be at least level 9 to take this feat.

you can also get a drakkensteed from dragon magic.

you can also take a feat to add the celestial template to your mount. That's in Book of exalted deeds.

I hear you can also get rid of the cure disease ability of the Paladin to give your mount the celestial template but I'm not sure if that's accurate.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-10, 11:29 AM
Where are the rules? Heavy Warhorses are lame.

EDIT: jk I found them. ignore the thread.

Where did ya find them?

Grumman
2010-02-10, 11:37 AM
Where did ya find them?
The DMG has some on page 204. I'm a big fan of the Ashworm Dragoon, though, for a 20 HD halfling paladin riding a 25 HD sandworm.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-10, 11:41 AM
I'm fairly certain the bonus HD don't stack. otherwise an ashworm would have 34 HD by the time somebody was a level 10 ashworm dragoon and probably more from Paladin mount HD bonuses.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-10, 11:43 AM
The DMG has some on page 204. I'm a big fan of the Ashworm Dragoon, though, for a 20 HD halfling paladin riding a 25 HD sandworm.

.....:smallamused:

The spice must flow...

Golden-Esque
2010-02-10, 11:48 AM
I think the rule is that your Paladin Level needs to be at least 4 higher then the target mount's Hit Dice in order to make it your special mount. Its something similar to that; I think the exact rules are in Defenders of Faith (3.0).

Grumman
2010-02-10, 11:53 AM
I'm fairly certain the bonus HD don't stack. otherwise an ashworm would have 34 HD by the time somebody was a level 10 ashworm dragoon and probably more from Paladin mount HD bonuses.
I'm pretty sure it gets the bonus HD from your paladin levels and the bonus HD from your ashworm levels, not one or the other. Then you use Beastmaster and Devoted Tracker to give it bonus HD as an animal companion as well, throw in Halfling Outrider for good measure, and you get Bolo, one badass sandworm.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-10, 12:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it gets the bonus HD from your paladin levels and the bonus HD from your ashworm levels, not one or the other. Then you use Beastmaster and Devoted Tracker to give it bonus HD as an animal companion as well, throw in Halfling Outrider for good measure, and you get Bolo, one badass sandworm.

does that mean max animal companion HD? so that means the already huge HD sandworm has 76 HD instead of 34. Each of which gets a Con bonus which is probably going to be boosted a lot from the player. assuming he puts it all into Con that's 1064 HP if he rolls all 1s for HP

Grumman
2010-02-10, 12:10 PM
does that mean max animal companion HD? so that means the already huge HD sandworm has 76 HD instead of 34. Each of which gets a Con bonus which is probably going to be boosted a lot from the player. assuming he puts it all into Con that's 1064 HP if he rolls all 1s for HP
What on earth are you talking about?

3 HD from being an Ashworm
10 HD from 9 levels in Dragoon
8 HD from 12 effective levels in Druid
4 HD from 8 effective levels in Paladin

...gives a total of 25 Magical Beast HD.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-10, 12:17 PM
I was talking about if the HD from each class stacked.

max HD of animal companion combined is 42
Ashworm dragoon HD combined is 31
Ashworm HD is 3

altogether it's 76. that's what I was talking about

oh yeah, it'd also qualify for 18 epic feats.

But, turns out I was wrong so never mind.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-10, 12:29 PM

25 HD isn't that overpowered considering it's a Magical Beast with very few special abilities. 34 is cutting it close, but it's still going to lose to anything with a couple of SLAs that are worth mentioning (or anything with a Fly speed if the Pally forgot to prep the right spells).

Mystic Muse
2010-02-10, 12:31 PM
yeah 34 HD isn't bad. 76 though......