PDA

View Full Version : Draconic wildshape

0datdude0
2010-02-10, 11:55 AM
Hay Im playing a druid natures warrior and I'm looking to add to my list of interesting things to turn into and kill things.

Draconic wildshape seems nice but i'm confused by a few things. I've look for an faq or errata to explain stuff a bit better and no luck.

Now the feat tells us

You may use your Wild Shape ability to change into a Small or Medium Dragon.
You gain all the Extraordinary and Supernatural abilities of the Dragon whose form you take, but not any Spell-like Abilities or Spellcasting powers.

Thing is most small or medium dragons done really have much in the way of Extraordinary and Supernatural abilities that I can see. Also age factors into a lot of a dragons powers and the feat is silent on what age category the dragon you turn into is.

Was this clean up at any point or just left dangling ? If the latter suggestions I can try t talk my gm into using ?

Bayar
2010-02-10, 12:00 PM
Any age category as long as the dragon is small or medium.

Search Draconomicon and other more obscure books for other dragons.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-10, 12:00 PM
It let's you use their Breath Weapons, for starters.

Also, Planar Dragons sometimes have very good SUAs. Take a look.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-10, 12:03 PM
Hay Im playing a druid natures warrior and I'm looking to add to my list of interesting things to turn into and kill things.

Draconic wildshape seems nice but i'm confused by a few things. I've look for an faq or errata to explain stuff a bit better and no luck.

Now the feat tells us

You may use your Wild Shape ability to change into a Small or Medium Dragon.
You gain all the Extraordinary and Supernatural abilities of the Dragon whose form you take, but not any Spell-like Abilities or Spellcasting powers.

Thing is most small or medium dragons done really have much in the way of Extraordinary and Supernatural abilities that I can see. Also age factors into a lot of a dragons powers and the feat is silent on what age category the dragon you turn into is.

Was this clean up at any point or just left dangling ? If the latter suggestions I can try t talk my gm into using ?

Shadow Dragon = negative levels.

nyarlathotep
2010-02-10, 12:04 PM
It is only limited by size period, which is a good hing cause it allows relatively high age categories of certain dragons, like white and black.

That being said the one supernatural ability that all true dragons have even at lo age categories is their breathweapon.

unre9istered
2010-02-10, 12:07 PM
You're still limited by HD as far as what you can wild shape into.
When you gain Wild Shape: Huge does your dragon size limit increase as well? If not then that feat's not as cool as I thought (still cool though).

0datdude0
2010-02-10, 12:20 PM
Also most dragons are small or medium only then they are young.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-10, 12:21 PM
You're still limited by HD as far as what you can wild shape into.
When you gain Wild Shape: Huge does your dragon size limit increase as well? If not then that feat's not as cool as I thought (still cool though).

Nope. An Epic feat is required for that. This is the non-Epic version, thus slightly less powerful (still absurdly useful in utility).

Starbuck_II
2010-02-10, 12:25 PM
Of course, you have to be 12th level to take it. So it better be decent.

Gnaeus
2010-02-10, 12:47 PM
You become a flying creature with a good AC (which you already could)

You get a breath weapon (which doesn't help a whole lot)

You get energy immunity based on type. Normally, alternate form does not give you type and subtype, but Immunities are spelled out as being an ex ability of dragons on MM 69. Also immunity to paralysis. You could get most of this before with Protection from x, but save a spell slot.

You get Blindsense and Keen senses. You could get these before with enhance wild shape, but save a lev 4 slot.

You can speak in your animal form. This is surprisingly hard to get without custom items.

Dragons can clearly use most item slots, including held items. Rods (other than extend) and wands re-enter druid utility.

Dragons can spellcast, so if your DM nerfed Natural spell, you still get to cast in wildshape form. If you are really just a ranged caster, and you never melee in wildshape, you can retrain natural spell. Not saying you should, but you can.

And as people mentioned scouring books for other small dragons yields extra bonuses.

Not bad for a feat.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-10, 12:53 PM
Don't forget you get a thumb (dragons can pick up stuff like humans). Dragon that wears dragonhide. :smallbiggrin: