PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the Phylactery

Math_Mage
2010-02-10, 01:13 PM
We know O-Chul tried to break the phylactery (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0656.html). We know O-Chul is the Monster in the Darkness's best friend (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0654.html), and that MitD isn't exactly fond of Xykon anymore (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0700.html). And we know (if jokingly) the Monster in the Darkness is capable of breaking the phylactery (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0147.html). I feel like hints are dropping left and right that Xykon's phylactery will eventually be destroyed by the Monster in the Darkness. But then, that may just be reading too much into it. Thoughts?

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 01:43 PM
I'm not convinced anything else can, short of the Snarl.

Ancalagon
2010-02-10, 01:47 PM
I'm not convinced anything else can, short of the Snarl.

... or the MitD.

Math_Mage
2010-02-10, 01:54 PM
... or the MitD.

Hence the "else". :smalltongue:

Ancalagon
2010-02-10, 02:05 PM
Ah, yes. Missed it. Makes sense. ;)

But I also think that some mage or cleric given some time can actually remove some of the spells warding it.
There is also some plot-artefact somewhere that does a "superdestroy" or a "superdispell", just imagine how a movie or book would send some heroes-to-be to find the "tool" that helps defeating the "big evil enemy".

You can also throw it into Mount Doom or awaken the Eternal Guardian of Good or whatever your plot calls for.

So we have to say: in regard to already introduced plot-possibilities (characters, items) there are not many that could "just" break it.
As it seems right now, we don't even have a snarl anymore. So it comes down to "godly intervention" (boring) or MitD (which makes sense, given that there is still that leftover from SoD that implies that first "SPOILER" and then the breaking. That'd also be in line with the MitD's emancipation (started by O-Chul).

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-10, 03:46 PM
There aren't a lot of core magical protections that can be placed on something to keep it from breaking. Since it has unspecified protections against it, it has an unspecified amount of force that would be required to break it.

Throwing it into a volcano would probably work, as would having Monstersan smash it.

Math_Mage
2010-02-10, 04:48 PM
There aren't a lot of core magical protections that can be placed on something to keep it from breaking. Since it has unspecified protections against it, it has an unspecified amount of force that would be required to break it.

Throwing it into a volcano would probably work, as would having Monstersan smash it.

Well, there's a *minimal* degree of specification:
:xykon: There are so many abjuration spells protecting that thing, I've forgotten what half of them actually do.* (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0656.html)

TriForce
2010-02-10, 05:05 PM
*disjunktion* *disintegrate*

no matter what kind of protection that thing has, anything short of epic spells specifically disigned against disjuntions will be gone

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 05:14 PM
... or the MitD.

Hence the "else". :smalltongue:

:smallsigh:

no matter what kind of protection that thing has, anything short of epic spells specifically disigned against disjuntions will be gone

Hell, Disjunction might even stop it from being a phylactery in the first place... they are magic items.

Ancalagon
2010-02-10, 05:37 PM
:smallsigh:

You're late for that. :)

Asta Kask
2010-02-10, 05:41 PM

And of course there are no epic caster who may have an interest in protecting the phylactery... :smallsmile:

Ancalagon
2010-02-10, 05:46 PM

Given Redcloaks profen tendency to overthink things, I'd be surprised if the most outer spell wasn't something that makes dispelling and everything similar harder.

The only hint that this is not true would be the fact that Xykon needed to have a lot of epic spells.

We know about "superb dispelling" and I would find it unlikely if someone as Xykon had no epic necromancy of damage-spell researched. So, we'd look at three epic spells researched and that seemed quite much - too much?

drengnikrafe
2010-02-10, 05:52 PM
It could have been (somehow) made into an artifact.
That would (kind of) protect it from Disjunction.

Callista
2010-02-10, 07:12 PM
Even if it's an artifcat, it's still possible to spam Disjunction at it until it breaks. You just have to cast it repeatedly; probably often enough that it'd only be feasible if you got the phylactery and got yourself to a relatively safe location where Xykon, if not destroyed, wouldn't be able to teleport. The chance of angering some guardian being or other that the spell mentions? Well, angering an epic lich probably qualifies...

Other protections on the phylactery would probably kill the first few people who tried the disjunction trick, so you'll want a couple of backup mages, a cleric or two, and some diamonds.

girtleaf
2010-02-10, 07:29 PM
soon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0462.html) believes that any human could break it and Xykon seems to believe him so i don’t think it takes to much to destroy it just takes more than a metal bar

Yendor
2010-02-10, 07:37 PM
soon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0462.html) believes that any human could break it and Xykon seems to believe him so i don’t think it takes to much to destroy it just takes more than a metal bar

No, the important thing is that Soon knows it's the phylactery. Even if it can't be broken with pure smashing, he can find someone who knows how to destroy it.

Math_Mage
2010-02-10, 07:50 PM
No, the important thing is that Soon knows it's the phylactery. Even if it can't be broken with pure smashing, he can find someone who knows how to destroy it.

On the other hand, the verb Soon uses is "smash".

Still not convinced that anything less than a volcano or Stomp (or volcano stomp, hehe) will take care of the phylactery.

Optimystik
2010-02-10, 07:54 PM
You're late for that. :)

Never too late for a *facepalm*

(I'm posting at work, sue me :smalltongue:)

Xykon was more worried because, if they know what the phylactery is, they can keep smashing him when he tries to emerge (and is unable to cast spells.)

There is of course no RAW for how a lich really reappears, but Rich seems to have gone with "reforms slowly over time from it" similar to the psionic phylactery, Astral Seed. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralSeed.htm)

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 02:00 AM
SoD:

Xykon hypnotized the MitD should it ever have to eat Red Cloak to spit out the phylactery.

Thoughts?

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-11, 02:19 AM
And about the metal bar, could there have been the possibility that O-Chul could have broken it? Sooner or later, someone rolls a 20...

factotum
2010-02-11, 02:23 AM
And about the metal bar, could there have been the possibility that O-Chul could have broken it? Sooner or later, someone rolls a 20...

I don't think that would make much difference--you might get a crit with a 20, but I doubt a metal bar does much damage anyway and the phylactery presumably has damage reduction up the wazoo. I doubt O-Chul could have damaged it with an improvised weapon even before it had all those spells cast on it that Xykon mentioned.

Belkon
2010-02-11, 02:27 AM
Red Dragon's Breath is usually the go to source, of most authors, for all your artifact/magic item destroying needs.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 03:02 AM

A natural 20 doesn't always mean success.

Red Dragon's Breath is usually the go to source, of most authors, for all your artifact/magic item destroying needs.

Not if you're a duo of halflings with a magic ring.

Tass
2010-02-11, 03:29 AM
A natural 20 doesn't always mean success.

Not if you're a duo of halflings with a magic ring.

Only because the last dragon had been destroyed. It is said that Smaugs fire might have been hot enough, had he still existed.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 03:36 AM
Only because the last dragon had been destroyed. It is said that Smaugs fire might have been hot enough, had he still existed.

Then what did the Nazgul ride?

DaveMcW
2010-02-11, 03:51 AM
Then what did the Nazgul ride?

Pterosaurs (http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Fell_beast)

Souhiro
2010-02-11, 04:24 AM
Well, this comes to:

<Dath V> ¡Superb Dispell! ¡Quickened Dissintegrate! (To the soul hidey thing)
<Roy> Greenhilt Slash! (Yes, the one his grandpa taugh him)
<Haley> Sleal Xykon's Stuff
<Belkar> ¡Kill Redcloak and hit on Tsukiko!
<Elan> ¡Sing a Song!
<Durkon> ¡Do Nothing!

Asta Kask
2010-02-11, 04:28 AM
I don't think that would make much difference--you might get a crit with a 20, but I doubt a metal bar does much damage anyway and the phylactery presumably has damage reduction up the wazoo.

I believe objects are immune to crits anyway.

Athaniar
2010-02-11, 04:57 AM
I thought Gandalf said that not even Ancalagon could destroy the One Ring?

Asta Kask
2010-02-11, 04:59 AM
Yep, it was only the Lesser Rings of Power that could be destroyed by dragons. The only way to destroy the One Ring was to drop it into Mt. Doom. (Although I suppose the Valar could destroy it, if they chose to.)

Athaniar
2010-02-11, 05:02 AM
Well, some people do suspect that the Valar were involved in the Ring's final destruction. Accident? Yeah, right.

Asta Kask
2010-02-11, 05:07 AM
Indirectly, of course. They were the ones who sent the Istari, and without Gandalf the Ring would never have been destroyed. But this is getting off-topic.

Snake-Aes
2010-02-11, 06:16 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm#theLichsPhylactery
40 hit points, hardness 20, break dc 40. This is the basic philactery. Someone like Thog or Roy might be able to break it, but it'd take a long time, probably a good half hour of beating, and that's before even considering what the "gajillion of abjurations" are.

Prowl
2010-02-11, 06:32 AM
Someone could always toss it into Mount Doom a rift...

Snake-Aes
2010-02-11, 07:05 AM
Someone could always toss it into Mount Doom a rift...

Then it'd float in orbit forever or whatever like htat O.o

Rad
2010-02-11, 08:13 AM
an anti magic field should deal with the abjurations. Then Power Attack it to leisure.
I do not think that we can take Soon's statement of "smashing" it as evidence that it would work. The point is that he knows about it and can tell other people about it. With Xykon and Redcloak dead and the phylactery in human hands someone would have found a way.

Liwen
2010-02-11, 10:23 AM
Combo of Greater dispelling, disjunction and anti-magic field, then melt it at your local blacksmith.

PS: Get ride of the Epic Lich Sorceror first.

Jackson
2010-02-11, 12:44 PM
I got the impression that many of the abjurations protecting the phylactery were placed there as a direct result of Soon correctly identifying it in front of Xykon, thereby proving that the strategy of hiding it in plain site had failed. Meaning it was eminently more smashable when Soon made his threat than when O'Chul finally got the opportunity to smash it.

Ancalagon
2010-02-11, 03:02 PM
I thought Gandalf said that not even Ancalagon could destroy the One Ring?

It's basically this: "Dragonfire might be able to do it. But maybe not, it's the One Ring after all. It does not matter anyway as there are no Dragons left. What are our other options?"

hamishspence
2010-02-11, 03:14 PM
It is said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough, nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself.

There are implied to be dragons left- just not powerful ones.

Ancalagon
2010-02-11, 03:59 PM
It is said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough, nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself.

Given what the LotR and the End of the Third Age represents, it's quite likely there were no other Dragons left. It does not matter anyway...

Asta Kask
2010-02-11, 04:01 PM
It's basically this: "Dragonfire might be able to do it. But maybe not, it's the One Ring after all. It does not matter anyway as there are no Dragons left. What are our other options?"

So, Ancalagon - could you have destroyed the One Ring? :smallsmile:

factotum
2010-02-11, 04:36 PM

And it's also very clear that even the most powerful dragon who ever lived could not destroy the One Ring, so it doesn't matter whether there are any left or not--they can't help, even if they were inclined to do so.

Ancalagon
2010-02-11, 04:53 PM
And it's also very clear that even the most powerful dragon who ever lived could not destroy the One Ring, so it doesn't matter whether there are any left or not--they can't help, even if they were inclined to do so.

We have no scientific proof, just an opinion. But I doubt Sauron would have
let someone experiment with that ring and dragonfire. ;)

Given that the old dragons are on a similar powerlevel as Maiar (Sauron etc) I'd not be that sure that "not even Ancalagon the Black" could have burned it (it was maia-made after all!). But the discussion is quite pointless as there were no old dragons left (which is good. Since if Sauron had called even one of them for his fights in the late third age, the story would have been over quite quickly. Just imagine Smaug not getting killed a few years earlier... ;)).

hamishspence
2010-02-11, 05:09 PM
Unfinished Tales mentions this- as do some recent editions of The Hobbit.

That's the main reason Gandalf helped Thorin & Company- not just because of sympathy for their goals, but because he knew Smaug & Sauron would be a terrifying combination.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-12, 01:02 AM
Pterosaurs (http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Fell_beast)

Next thing you'll be telling is that Balrogs have wings.

factotum
2010-02-12, 02:23 AM
We have no scientific proof, just an opinion.

The opinion of a powerful Maia who had been specifically sent to Middle-earth to fight Sauron and his rings carries some weight, methinks! :smallwink: