PDA

View Full Version : Haley's description on TvTropes

Erts
2010-02-10, 03:09 PM
So, I'm a frequent troper. And I noticed something on the TvTrope page for the OOTS page. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OrderOfTheStick) In the second sentence, the phrase describing Haley describes her as a "a sassy Action Girl rogue." The sassy links to Deadpan Snarker, a trope describing (as the wiki itself puts it) "A character prone to sarcastic and cynical remarks."
Umm, I know Haley is fairly cynical and sarcastic, but she seems just as snarky as Roy or V, just with a slightly more cynical attitude.
Thoughts?

Ancalagon
2010-02-10, 03:13 PM
Haley is not really sarcastic or cynical.

She has a few remarks but all in all, she's more positive.

I think what you hear there (and in all other characters of OotS) is not Haley, but Rich (not saying he's cynical, but it's a personal style of snarky comments here and there). ;)

Morty
2010-02-10, 03:26 PM
It's TVTropes. People apply tropes to characters who don't have anything to do with them all the time.

Meg
2010-02-10, 03:28 PM
It's TvTropes. Just change it, and if anyone really disagrees, they'll change it back. No biggie.

Murdim
2010-02-10, 04:19 PM
It's TVTropes. People apply tropes to characters who don't have anything to do with them all the time.

It's TvTropes. Just change it, and if anyone really disagrees, they'll change it back. No biggie.

A TvTropes-lover and a TvTropes-hater, saying essentially the same thing but in very different ways. I love the contrast :smallbiggrin:

But yeah, like Meg said, if something needs to be changed, no need to moan about this something or about the site as a whole. Just edit it. That's the whole reason why TvT is a wiki, after all. Yes, i'm myself a TvTropes-lover.

Erts
2010-02-10, 04:57 PM
But yeah, like Meg said, if something needs to be changed, no need to moan about this something or about the site as a whole. Just edit it. That's the whole reason why TvT is a wiki, after all.

Course, I don't know what to change it too... Any suggestions?

Math_Mage
2010-02-10, 04:59 PM
Done and done. Now she is a "treasure-loving Action Girl rogue," with 'treasure-loving' linked to Gold Fever. Normally the trope wouldn't apply, but Greed seemed too broad (and is mentioned in a bajillion other places) and the voice-loss arc fits.

hamishspence
2010-02-10, 05:09 PM
yes- the Deadpan Snarkers should be those for whom snarky comments are the norm, not rarities.

Haley has moments of Snark- but Roy (and maybe Vaarsuvius) are the real Snarkers of the party. Though everybody- even Elan and Belkar, get moments.

For Team Evil, maybe it should be added to Redcloaks entry on the page of OoTS characters- since the Deadpan Snarker entry for OotS cites him and Roy as two of the more snarky characters in the strip.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 03:04 AM
Umm, I know Haley is fairly cynical and sarcastic, but she seems just as snarky as Roy or V, just with a slightly more cynical attitude.
Thoughts?

Roy and V are two of the voices of reasons in this strip. Belkar, Haley, and Elan are the zany bunch in the order.

Murdim
2010-02-11, 06:37 AM
Roy and V are two of the voices of reasons in this strip. Belkar, Haley, and Elan are the zany bunch in the order.

I disagree. Roy and V are always reasonable, with clearly definite character flaws that can make them do stupid things. Belkar and Elan are zany, with few actual moments of clarity. Haley and Durkon are inbetween, sensible most of the time, with some unexplainable instants of craziness.

Kaytara
2010-02-11, 08:06 AM
Haley may no longer be so snarky anymore, but back in the earlier days (and I recall that description on TVTropes having been around for a long time), Deadpan Snarker would indeed have been the way to describe her. She was a much more mean and aggressive snarker back before her speech impediment and the character development that followed.

Gift Jeraff
2010-02-11, 05:16 PM
Speaking of OOTS and TV Tropes, the Five Man Band/Webcomics page has Durkon sharing "The Smart Guy" status with Vaarsuvius. However, I'd say he fits much better into the the Big Guy mold (along with Belkar). Yes, he has a high Wisdom score, but the Smart Guy trope typically has nothing to do with wisdom or common sense (in fact, they tend to lack it).