PDA

View Full Version : [Gurps] Give me a ANY character, I'll give you a Gurps conversion

Satyr
2010-02-10, 03:37 PM
Just to keep these things in perspective: Give me any character, any character concept or idée fix, and I'll give you a Gurps conversion. I really don't care about the original system, but in the case of something a bit more obscure, explanations might be needed.

Morty
2010-02-10, 03:40 PM
Same as in the Exalted conversion thread: either of those (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=171943) two (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=119867) characters.
Nah, scratch that, just this (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=171943) one. The other one is too generic. I'm mostly interested in how would a D&Desque goblin look in GURPS.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-10, 03:43 PM
:smallconfused: Is this going to be the next "trend" thread? You know, like Morally Justified threads... and Vs. Threads...

Not insulting you or anything, Satyr.

Edit: But a more important question is how long it will be before somebody makes a FATAL conversion thread. :smallamused:

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-10, 03:44 PM
You should have no difficulty recreating this one. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=56616)

The Demented One
2010-02-10, 03:56 PM
*Wicked Grin*

Would it be mean-spirited to suggest something for the sole sake of watching you futilely work to fit it into a system drastically not scaled for that kind of thing?

Volkov
2010-02-10, 03:57 PM
Just to keep these things in perspective: Give me any character, any character concept or idée fix, and I'll give you a Gurps conversion. I really don't care about the original system, but in the case of something a bit more obscure, explanations might be needed.

Size/Type: Huge Magical Beast.
Hit Dice:3,000d10+1,200,000(1,204,500)
Initiative: N/A Always goes first.
Speed: 1,000 feet, 5,000 swim, 500 burrow, 15,000 fly.
Armor class:908 all(+300 natural armor, +200 Deflection, +50 Profane, +50 Luck, +50 divine, +50 sacred, +50 insight +150 dexterity -2 size)
Base Attack/Grapple:+3,000/+3,408
Attack: Peck +3,398(100d%+400)
Full attack: Peck +3,398(100d%+400 17-20 x4), Two kicks +3,398(50d%+325 17-20 x4), Bite +3,398(100d%+325 17-20 x4), Two wing +3,398(50d%+325 17-20 x4), two stamps +3,398(150d%+325 17-20 x6) two slam +3,398(250d%+325 17-20 x4) Super Peck(250d%+550 17-20 x12) 16 quills+3,398(25d%+325 17-20 x4) can be thrown, eight tentacle slaps +3,398(25d%+325 17-20 x4, eight tentacle rakes +3,398(25d%+325 17-20 x4), tail slap +3,398(200d%+400 17-20 x4), gore +3,398 (250d%+400 17-20 x10)
Space/Reach: 15/15(30 for peck, bite, gore and super peck. 45 feet for tail slap, 60 feet for tentacles)
Special attacks:Super peck, Improved grapple, swallow whole, trample, powerful charge, screech, rake, rend, pounce, earthquake, Heat beams, Frost breath, quill fire, ability drain, corrosive spit, lightning bolts Spell-like abilities, spells, Turn or rebuke undead, outsiders, elements, elementals, constrict, tail sweep, crush.
Special qualities: Immunity to epic magic, Spell Resistance 25,000, Regeneration 50,000, Fast healing 100,000, immunity to non-descript energy types, fire resistance 25,000, cold immunity, electricity resistance 25,000, acid resistance 25,000, sonic immunity. DR 300/+50 good, chaotic, adamantine, bludgeoning, and piercing. Immunity to death effects, poison, disease, energy drain, prismatic effects, polymorph, blindness, deafness, daze effects, stun effects, paralysis, petrification, mind affecting effects, unwilling teleportation, critical hits, sneak attacks, alignment related effects, ability damage, ability drain, Transdimensional attacks, true sight, darkvision 10,000 feet, low light vision x 50, scent, keen scent 750,000 feet, blind sight 500,000 feet, blind sense 1,500,000 feet, tremor sense 2,250,000 feet.
Skills:1,823,392 skill points to spend.
Feats:1,150 to spend.
Saves: Fort+2,400, Ref+2,400, Will+1,400.
Abilities:Str 310, Dex 310, Con 310, Int 310, Wis 310, Cha 310.
Environment: any.
CR: A lot.
Organization: Any
Treasure: Quadruple Standard.
Alignment: Lawful evil.
Advancement:3,001-9,000(Huge), 9,001-27,000(Gargantuan), 27,001-81,000(Colossal), 81,001+(Colossal+)

Spell-like abilities: A Killer penguin can choose up to three thousand spells for it's spell like abilities. Caster level is 3,000, Save DC is 1,650+ spell level.
Spells: A Killer penguin can cast spells as if it had 3,000 levels in Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, or Wizard.
Turn or Rebuke: A Killer penguin can choose to turn and destroy or rebuke, and command, undead, outsiders, elemental, or any creature with an elemental subtype as a level 3,000 cleric.
Energy attacks: All of a killer penguins energy attacks deal 500d% damage, lightning bolts and heat beams are 1,000 foot lines, frost breath, corossive spit, and Sonic screech are 375 foot cones. All DC's are 1,650
Regeneration: Only a weapon forged in the future by a sleep walking deity, which was then thrown into the far realm and later retrieved can deal lethal damage to a killer penguin.
Super peck: This attack can use up to twice the Killer penguins strength modifier.
Quills: These can be thrown up to a hundred range increcements, each being 1,000 feet long.
Low light vision: A Killer penguin can see 50 times better than a human can.
Earthquake: By stomping on the ground, a killer penguin can create an immensely powerful earthquake, one with ten thousand times the radius of effect of the spell, in addition any time the earthquake encounters water, it creates a tsunami.
Constrict:A killer penguin that successfully attacks an opponent with it's tail or tentacle slaps/rakes can begin to squeeze, dealing 250D%+475 damage per round.
Rend: A Killer penguin that hits with both kicks can tear at the flesh, dealing 100d%+475 damage.
Rake: A killer penguin that hits with both kicks or two tentacle rakes can claw at it's enemy, dealing 100D%+475 damage.
Tail sweep: A killer penguin can sweep it's tail in a full circle with a radius of 45 feet, dealing tail slap damage to any it hits and knocking them away as if they were hit by an awesome blow, Reflex DC 1,650 for half damage.
Crush: A killer penguin that pins or lands on an enemy can begin to crush it with it's weight, dealing 300D%+550 damage per round.
Trample: A Huge killer penguin can trample any enemy that is large or smaller, dealing 200d%+475 damage, reflex DC of 1,650 for half, an attack of oppurtunity can be taken at a -4 penalty, but this forfeits a chance of a reflex saving throw.
Swallow whole: A penguin that successfully grapples with it's mouth can swallow an enemy, where it will take 100d%+400 bludgeoning damage per round, as well as taking 25d% damage from flesh-eating bacteria per round, in addition, they will take 50d% of each energy type per round. One can cut their way out of the stomach by dealing 1,000 damage to the gizzard (AC 310) any hole created heals over rapidly and is closed by muscular action. Alternatively one can attempt to attempt another grapple check to get out, or they can make a DC 40 will save to go through the Scenic route through the digestive system, any one who takes this route will emerge from the bird's rear end within one round, and will be nauseated for three rounds, and be sickened for six more. A Huge Killer penguin can hold 2 medium creatures, 8 small, 512 tiny, 512^3 diminuitive creatures, and 512^3^3 fine in it's gizzard.
Immune to Epic magic: All epic level spells are useless against it, whether they are used directly or indirectly.
Immune to non-descript energy: any form of energy attack that lacks a specific type deals no damage to the killer penguin.

What is his GURPS version? :P

Superglucose
2010-02-10, 04:00 PM
Easy:
Small dog-like flying creature who wields a giant axe with a monomolecular edge that has a charge pack and electrocutes people and wears powered armor which is size large.

Harder:
A medium-sized humanoid plant who flies a starship equipped with massive robotic arms for inter-ship grappling and uses biologically engineered BEES! leutenants to organize an army of biologically engineered humanoids, and uses a pair of biologically engineered Suicunes for propulsion on his space ship.

EDIT:
For the record (points to the post before him) I have actually played both characters I'm asking him to transcribe. They were not easy to make using the system I used, so I imagine transcribing them will be a nightmare.

erikun
2010-02-10, 04:12 PM
An ice-mage spellcaster berserker - meaning someone who can cast spells normally, but can optionally start "rampaging" to become tougher and cast stronger magic.

I actually have someone interested in running a GURPS game, so I'm curious if something like this can be done. (Letting me know which books the skills are from is appreciated, if outside the Basic Characters book.)

awa
2010-02-10, 04:23 PM
that penguins just a mix of arbitrarily high stats never designed to function in a real campaign it should be easy to convert because it already just a random arbitrary mix of abilities

Volkov
2010-02-10, 04:26 PM
that penguins just a mix of arbitrarily high stats never designed to function in a real campaign it should be easy to convert because it already just a random arbitrary mix of abilities

Actually, It was used as the final battle of my Old DM's campaign. It was the surprise final boss. It was various things killed by the party, constantly reincarnated but always getting killed by us in the campaign A La argajag. Finally he got a body that could oppose us and sought revenge.

Jayabalard
2010-02-10, 04:40 PM
An ice-mage spellcaster berserker - meaning someone who can cast spells normally, but can optionally start "rampaging" to become tougher and cast stronger magicHmm... It seems likely that there are a lot of ways to do that kind of simply. It depends a lot on what you mean by "cast stronger magic" ... do you mean "gets better at casting spells" or "can cast totally different spells" or maybe even "gains some minor super powers that are fluffed as spell like"

The Demented One
2010-02-10, 04:40 PM
Actually, It was used as the final battle of my Old DM's campaign. It was the surprise final boss. It was various things killed by the party, constantly reincarnated but always getting killed by us in the campaign A La argajag. Finally he got a body that could oppose us and sought revenge.
That makes it no less a random pile of high statistics never designed to function in a real campaign.

Jayabalard
2010-02-10, 04:42 PM
Easy:
Small dog-like flying creature who wields a giant axe with a monomolecular edge that has a charge pack and electrocutes people and wears powered armor which is size large.

Harder:
A medium-sized humanoid plant who flies a starship equipped with massive robotic arms for inter-ship grappling and uses biologically engineered BEES! leutenants to organize an army of biologically engineered humanoids, and uses a pair of biologically engineered Suicunes for propulsion on his space ship.I'm sure both of these can be done, but you might have to break out the calculus to deal with the vehicles :smallbiggrin:

Volkov
2010-02-10, 04:44 PM
That makes it no less a random pile of high statistics never designed to function in a real campaign.

The Campaign's I play are uber high level. We do things that make your average epic level party look like children in comparison to gods.

The Demented One
2010-02-10, 04:45 PM
The Campaign's I play are uber high level. We do things that make your average epic level party look like children in comparison to gods.
"Designed" is the important word here. It's neither elegant nor creative, it's just a bunch of big numbers and random abilities.

Myou
2010-02-10, 04:51 PM
"Designed" is the important word here. It's neither elegant nor creative, it's just a bunch of big numbers and random abilities.

The sad thing is that people seem to take pride in that - feeling superior because their abstract numbers are higher than the mean abstract numbers. Beyond around level 40 D&D ceases to function entirely, and really a level 30 game is exactly the same as a level 230 game, and a level 23,000 game. The only difference is the number of zeroes after everything.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-02-10, 04:52 PM
Beyond around level 40 D&D ceases to function entirely

So Volkov is basically playing systemless. What's wrong with that?

erikun
2010-02-10, 04:54 PM
Hmm... It seems likely that there are a lot of ways to do that kind of simply. It depends a lot on what you mean by "cast stronger magic" ... do you mean "gets better at casting spells" or "can cast totally different spells" or maybe even "gains some minor super powers that are fluffed as spell like"
I was thinking "gets better at casting spells", or just "spells hit harder" if that makes sense. Like of like how a (3.5e D&D) barbarian hits harder when they are raging.

Myou
2010-02-10, 04:55 PM
So Volkov is basically playing systemless. What's wrong with that?

Nothing. Bragging about how it makes his characters better is a little silly though. :smalltongue:

Volkov
2010-02-10, 04:56 PM
Nothing. Bragging about how it makes his characters better is a little silly though. :smalltongue:

I never said it was better. I'm saying our feats are utterly ludicrous.

Myou
2010-02-10, 04:57 PM
I never said it was better. I'm saying our feats are utterly ludicrous.

I'm saying they're actually the same. The numbers are bigger but the actions don't change.

Asta Kask
2010-02-10, 05:03 PM
I was thinking "gets better at casting spells", or just "spells hit harder" if that makes sense. Like of like how a (3.5e D&D) barbarian hits harder when they are raging.

That's easy - give him levels of Magery (adds to skill with spells) with the limitation "only when raging, -20%".

Edit: There's one thing that GURPS doesn't do well, and that's infinite abilities. And that can be awkward - you can make a character with a very high resistance to fire, but not one absolutely immune to fire (if you want to stat them. however, generous rule 0-ing is recommended with NPCs. There's no need to calculate point values for them, because it's not important in the way CR is.)

awa
2010-02-10, 05:05 PM
id say dungeons and dragons actually starts breaking down much sooner then level 30 and starts getting pointless at above 40 if you want to play at that level of power their are better ways to do it ten stacking zeros.

AstralFire
2010-02-10, 05:06 PM
Eh. Lacks the appeal of the other two threads for me. This is kind of GURPS' whole point.

Superglucose
2010-02-10, 05:08 PM
D&D beaks down at about level 21 *points @ epic magic*

But in any case, I do want to see the OP do my two characters, because I suspect it'll be challenging enough for him to say "No. just... no"

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-10, 05:10 PM

But in any case, I do want to see the OP do my two characters, because I suspect it'll be challenging enough for him to say "No. just... no"

I can do both of them in M&M. Knowing GURPS, it won't be challenging. At all.

Myou
2010-02-10, 05:11 PM

I find that making your own rules for epic can double the lifespan, but about 40 is still the limit I've found.

The Demented One
Edit: There's one thing that GURPS doesn't do well, and that's infinite abilities. And that can be awkward - you can make a character with a very high resistance to fire, but not one absolutely immune to fire (if you want to stat them. however, generous rule 0-ing is recommended with NPCs. There's no need to calculate point values for them, because it's not important in the way CR is.)
Oh...I'mma go ahead and not ask about the Unconquered Sun. :smallredface:

AstralFire

This is the point behind GURPS. This is roughly equivalent to challenging a hammer by presenting it with a piece of china.

Superglucose
2010-02-10, 05:12 PM
I can do both of them in M&M. Knowing GURPS, it won't be challenging. At all.
From what I've heard, the challenging part isn't actually not having rules: it's working through the rules to put it together.

Also for the record, the axe should easily slice through the armor and the squishy guy inside, there should be no chance for the individual to survive an attack from himself. He should; however, survive any direct shot by a howitzer.

Riffington
2010-02-10, 05:13 PM

Ok, give me Corwin.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/c64-games/1100-1.jpg

Jayabalard
2010-02-10, 05:22 PM
I was thinking "gets better at casting spells", or just "spells hit harder" if that makes sense. Like of like how a (3.5e D&D) barbarian hits harder when they are raging.So, perhaps school based magery levels, that are reduced slightly in cost since they only work while berserk. Add in the berserk disadvantage (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/roleplayer/Roleplayer1/GURPS-Disads1.html), and there's a partial way of representing "getting tougher" a la "While berserk, you cannot be stunned, and injuries cause no penalty to your Move score or attack rolls." ... I realize that this is a stronger version of raging than you might be looking for, but it's possible that it will fit your flavor well.

alternatively, you could do the whole thing with the disadvantage: Delusion - you think that you can cast spells harder while you are berserk... but that's a very different direction.

Nothing. Bragging about how it makes his characters better is a little silly though. :smalltongue:agreed. Big numbers aren't impressive. They make it look like you are afraid of small numbers for some reason.

There's one thing that GURPS doesn't do well, and that's infinite abilities. And that can be awkward - you can make a character with a very high resistance to fire, but not one absolutely immune to fire (if you want to stat them. however, generous rule 0-ing is recommended with NPCs. There's no need to calculate point values for them, because it's not important in the way CR is.)That's ... not true. Absolute immunities are in "GURPS: Supers" as super-advantages. GURPS: Supers 2e is designed to work with GURPS 3e, but really, all editions are pretty darn compatible so there's no reason why you couldn't use it in GURPS 4e. I think that Immunity to fire is one of the abilities of one of the sample characters.

Certainly, it's a lot of points to be absolutely immune to all damage of every type, but it's not even something that you have to stat out yourself.

deuxhero
2010-02-10, 05:32 PM
The Nameless One
Quote (Cave Story)
Shodan

Amphetryon
2010-02-10, 05:36 PM
This guy (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=160951). Abilities should be as close to identical as possible.

Gnaeus
2010-02-10, 05:47 PM
Ranger/MOMF 10

or Druid 12 (I'm specifically interested in how you convert Wild Shape.)

The Demented One
2010-02-10, 05:49 PM
That's ... not true. Absolute immunities are in "GURPS: Supers" as super-advantages. GURPS: Supers 2e is designed to work with GURPS 3e, but really, all editions are pretty darn compatible so there's no reason why you couldn't use it in GURPS 4e. I think that Immunity to fire is one of the abilities of one of the sample characters.

Oh, okay then. In that case, I submit:

The Unconquered Sun!

Setting-wise, he's sitting more-or-less on top of the power chain. He has equals and superiors in terms of raw cosmic power, though they're few and far between. While he wildly outclasses most things in terms of power, he can be brought down by things weaker than him if he's not acting virtuously. Signature powers include:

• Highest of Holies: The Unconquered Sun can name his enemies as creatures of darkness, marking them as unholy. His own attacks are supernaturally effective against them, as is any other holy power or magic.

• Perfection Beyond Imagining: The Unconquered Sun is supernaturally skilled at every possible ability or skill, nearing the absolute limits of even superhuman capability. In addition, as long as he acts righteously and confidently, he cannot fail at any action whatsoever as long as he focuses his will on it.

• Titan-Unleashing Clarion: The Unconquered Sun can summon and command a number of beings of cosmic power, ranging from the conquered creators of the universe to apocalypse gods to mere world-destroying dragons. However, he can issue only a single command, and has no guarantee that it won't be twisted by whatever he summons, making this power mostly a trap.

• The Aegis of Unconquered Might: The Unconquered Sun is supernaturally resistant to all harm, and cannot be hurt by harmful or hazardous environments. In addition, as long as he acts with temperance and self-restraint, he is literally invincible, incapable of being damaged, harmed, negatively altered or affected, or killed. The only way to bypass this is to force him into acting without self-restraint.

• The Godspear of All-Searing Noon: The Unconquered Sun's spear, which is an innate part of his own nature, is a supremely powerful weapon on par with the most powerful of magical artifacts. In addition, as long as he acts with courage and boldness, it is capable of dealing arbitrarily high damage to anything it strikes, and possesses infinite range. He may also choose to unleash massive explosions with it.

Less essential powers include banishing and summoning demons, teleportation that is unlimited in range but extremely costly, flight, omniscience, speaking all languages as long as he acts compassionately, healing and empowering others, limited shapeshifting, blinding light, and magical kung fu.

Asta Kask
2010-02-10, 05:55 PM
That's ... not true. Absolute immunities are in "GURPS: Supers" as super-advantages. GURPS: Supers 2e is designed to work with GURPS 3e, but really, all editions are pretty darn compatible so there's no reason why you couldn't use it in GURPS 4e. I think that Immunity to fire is one of the abilities of one of the sample characters.

Certainly, it's a lot of points to be absolutely immune to all damage of every type, but it's not even something that you have to stat out yourself.

Immunity to all physical damage is 300 points, IIRC. That's the amount of points that will buy you DR 60 (everything). I see a problem. Now, you can be immune to threats, but only to threats that don't deal damage directly (e.g., poison, disease).

Now, 300 points may seem like a lot but I've heard of people playing with 15 000 point characters - the kind of characters who play around with galaxies. In that scenario, 300 points is trivial and much too cheap.

Cybren
2010-02-10, 06:07 PM
I could do that penguin easy. gimmie a while

GenPol
2010-02-10, 06:22 PM
Level 1, shouldn't be too hard =D, could be an interesting conversion.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Fable, level 1
Revenant, Warlock|Wizard
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Constitution
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Will
Extra Manifestation: Voidsoul
Choose your Race in Life: Genasi
Background: Ancient (+2 to History)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 18, Dex 14, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 13 Fort: 14 Reflex: 13 Will: 13
HP: 29 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +7, History +10, Arcana +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, Endurance +6, Heal, Insight, Nature, Perception, Religion +3, Stealth +2, Streetwise, Thievery +2, Athletics

FEATS
Level 1: Extra Manifestation

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Winged Horde
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Blast
Hybrid encounter 1: Chains of Levistus
Hybrid daily 1: Summon Fire Warrior

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Rod Implement, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Satyr
2010-02-10, 06:23 PM
I am using a four tier categorisation or the rules:
Realistic
Heroic (e.g. Conan, Lord of the Rings)
Cinematic (Indiana Jones, Star Wars)
Silly (Dragon Ball Z)

It should be said that characters should probably include more than just the mechanical aspects; descriptions, personality etc. are not less imortant.
[these includes CP costs]
Annotations are red.

Morty's Glarkum

CP: 225 25 CP below Dungeon Fantasy Standard, uses modified DF template; cinematic to silly rules (based on D&D).

Abilities:
ST 11 [10] DX 13 [60] IQ 10 [0]HT 12 [20]
Size -1 [0] HP 11 [0] Will 11 [5] Perception 13 [15] FP 13 [3]
Basic Speed 7.00 [15] Move 7
The Dexterity might be a bit high for the Cult of Stat Normalisation, as is the Health.

Advantages:
Combat Reflexes [15]
Dark Vision (Black and White only) [25]
Fit [5]
Flexibility [5]
Sharp Teeth [1]
Talent: Outdoorsman 2 [20]
Languages: Goblin (Native), Common (accented) [4]
Cultural Familiarity: Goblinoids
Combat Reflexes describes the difference between a combatant an a non-combatant. Fit as a stand-in for the Ranger Endurance, Flexibility as a result of the character described as 'wiry', the teeth are a result from being a goblin. Probably, more advantages are a good idea to give the character more profile. The outdoorsman talent adds to all nature skills.

Perks:
Dirty Tricks [1]
Strongbow [1]
Dirty Tricks for the Sneaky Tricks ability, Strongbow is just neat for archery characters.

Disadvantages:
Bloodthirsty (12-) [-10]
Callous [-5]
Greed (12-) [-15]
Loner (12-) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Adventuring Companions) [-5]
Skinny [-5]
Social Stigma (Minority) [-10]
I am admitedly unhappy with the disads. Callous could stand for the character's "mean streak" of the character; the Social Stigma is a result of anti-goblin prejudices, Bloodthirsty, Greed and Sense of Duty are genre-typical standard mentality of D&D. More disads would be neat, for both balancing and character depth.

Quirks
5 unknown quirks [-5]
The character sheet doesn't include many character traits, but probably the character does has personality.

Skills
#: +2 through Outdoorsman; *: +3 through Flexibility
Animal Handling (Canines) 10 [2]
Area Knowledge (Setting) 10 [1]
Bow 16 [12]
Brawling 14 [2]
Broadsword 14 [2]
Camouflage 14# [2]
Cartography 10 [2]
Climbing 16* [2]
Fast Draw (arrow) 14 [1]
First Aid (Goblinoids) 10 [1]
Gesture 11 [2]
Hiking 12 [2]
Hobby1 10 [1] or 13 [1]
Knife 14 [2]
Mimicry (Animal Sounds) 11# [2]
Naturalist 12# [4]
Navigation (Land) 11# [1]
Observation 14 [2]
Riding (Canines) 12 [1]
Savoir Faire (tribal) 10 [1]
Search 13 [2]
Shadowing 10 [0]
Shield (Shield) 14 [2]
Soldier 10 [2]
Spear 13 [2]
Stealth 15 [8]
Survival (Mountains) 15 [2]
Survival (different terrain 1) 14 [1]
Survival (different terrain 2) 14 [1]
Tactics 9 [2]
Tracking 16# [4]
Traps 11 [4]
Two-Handed Swords 14 [4]
What to tell? The character is a competent outdoorsman (skills based on the fitting Dungeon Fantasy Template), is a competent to elite archer and can fight equally well with a one-handed or two handed sword.

CP:
Attributes: 125
Advantages: 75
Perks: 2
Disadvantages: -55
Quirks: -5
Skills: 82
Rest: 1

The Rose Dragon's Lunar Lord

CP: 666 high powered super hero campaign, using cinematic to silly rules.

Abilities:
ST 10/20 [0] DX 10/14 [0] IQ 12 [40] HT 10/20 [0]
Size 0 [0] HP 15 [10] Will 12 [0] Perception 12 [0] FP 15 [15]
Basic Speed 6.0/9.0 [10] Move: 6/9

Abilities after the slash are modified by the Power Package.

Advantages:
Appearance (attractive) [4]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Enhanced Dodge 1 [15]
The Big Damn Power Package 521
Languages: English (Native)
Cultural Familiarity: Western
Combat Reflexes describes the difference between a combatant an a non-combatant. The character is also a bit drained on usual character traits, but has the Big Damn Power Package below.

The Big Damn Power Package:
Control Energy (Godlike, cosmic, +100%) [200]
Doesn't Breathe [20]
Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]
Enhanced Move (Air) 4 [80]
Extra ST 10 [100]
Extra DX 4 [80]
Extra HT 10 [100]
Flight [40]
Injury Tolerance (Heroic Damage Reduction, x1/2) [50]
Unaging [15]
695 CP brutto. Hardcore.
Power Modifiers: Power Source: Super [0%], accessability: only when induced in moonlinght in the last 24 hours [-10%], beause it's a super hero campaign, pact (Gamemaster) would probably be a good idea as well [-15%]
Final Costs 521 CP. Yeehaa.

The Enhanced Move (Air) is probably a level too low; I don't my books at hand right now. The cosmic godlike energy control is pretty much a "do what you want" trait, allowing to manipulate all forms of energy

Perks:
None
Probably has one personal traits, but those are not made obvious in the character sheet.

Disadvantages:
Code of Honor (Cape) [-15]
Dependant: Jonathan, almost broke Artist; 25% CP or less, loved one, appearance 12-) [-30]
Mild Delusions ("I'd probably have loving parents... somewhere") [-5]
Sense of Duty (Nation, City, good people...) [-10]
Secret Identity: Cape (utter rejection) [-10]
Secret or Social Stigma: Second Class Citizen: Hommosexual [-5]

Again, there are not that many conclusions on the personality. What I found is included. The secret or social stigma is debatable, but perhaps not the worst idea. The Code of Honor, Sense of Duty and Secret are genre-typical elements and are therefore included.

Quirks
5 unknown quirks [-5]
The character sheet doesn't include many character traits, but probably the character does have a personality.

Skills
Superhero games should use simple skills, therefore the Wildcard! Skills format.
Athlete! 11/15 [24]
Martial Artist! 12/16 [36]
Drive! 8/12 [6]
Detective! (Sense Lies) 12 (15) [27]
Scholar! 9 [3]

Again, behind the slash are the abilities modified by powers. This character is a bit like "much raw power, little control". Wildcard! Skills (the ! belong to the name) have a very broad range, making the game a bit less fiddly. The Detective! Skill in addition has a specialisation.

CP:
Attributes: 75
Advantages: 34
Perks: 0
Powers: 521
Disadvantages: -55
Skills: 86
Rest: 10

The rest CP can be used as action points, or karmic intervention.

It's half past midnight here; maybe there are a handful of oversights included here. I have only used the Gurps Character builder now, because my books are elsewhere, but that's okay, I guess.
The goblin was simple and fun, the Superhero was a bit more complicated, and both characters are a bit shoehorned by their specific genre conventions.

Giegue
2010-02-10, 06:29 PM
A stereotypical anime villain. Sephiroth-esc hair/long hair in silver, black, metallic light blue, white or that weird black-green color is a must. As for abilities, he's a stereotypical ANIME villain, so he should be on a tier high enough to be the final villain/big bad of a cliche' shonen manga.

For personality traits, watch any stereotypical Saturday morning anime from the 80s-90s and/or read the evil overlord list, which can be found at the following link...

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

Satyr
2010-02-10, 07:08 PM
A few simple ones (aka these are now characters, only abilities):

An ice-mage spellcaster berserker - meaning someone who can cast spells normally, but can optionally start "rampaging" to become tougher and cast stronger magic.

Approach one: Spell-based.
Template: The Angry Ice Mage
Advantages:
Magery 0 [5]
Magery +2 [20]
Magery (One School: Water Magic) +2 [12]
Mana Enhancer (self only, accessibility: Only when angry, -10%) [45]
Disadvantages:
Bad Temper (9-) [-15]
Kryomania [-5] Like Pyromania, only the exact opposite.
Total costs: 62 CP
Ice Magic is a part of the Water School.

Approach two: Power based.
Advantages:
Various ice based powers (e.g. temperature control, affliction, innate attack (fatigue (ice wind) or pierce (icicle of doom); all with the power modifier cold (-10%)
Power Talent: Cold (accessibility: only when angry, -10%
Disadvantages:
Bad Temper (9-) [-15]
Kryomania [-5]

A Killer penguin

lazy ass-pull version:
Modular Abilities: Cosmic Power 50 (cosmic, +100%, Focus: only mean- spirited penguin related traits, -10%) [950]
Cosmic cosmic powers sound stupid, but cosmic² powers actually means that you can use any 50 CP in any trait you want. Do all you want, as long as it is mean-spirited and penguin related. God can't help you now. Can be expanded at will if the campaign's power level requires this. A 50 Cp innate attack for example would deal 12d6 of damage as a melee attack.

small dog-like flying creature is probably small, quadruped and can fly (wings?). The other two are gadgets (the axe an innate cutting attack with electrocution as a follow-up attack, the powered armor increased abilities, size and the like, probably works best as an Alternative Form power. I need a bit more input than that.

A medium-sized humanoid plant who flies a starship equipped with massive robotic arms for inter-ship grappling and uses biologically engineered BEES! leutenants to organize an army of biologically engineered humanoids, and uses a pair of biologically engineered Suicunes for propulsion on his space ship.

Plant is simple, the bees are allies, the ship is either another ally or a gadget. And intership grappling? Sounds like fun.

Ok, give me Corwin.

Sorry, I never read any book by Zelazny.

The Nameless One
The DSA Nameless One or the Planescape: Torment Nameless One?

Ranger/MOMF 10

or Druid 12 (I'm specifically interested in how you convert Wild Shape.)

Modular Abilities: Cosmic Powers 30 (Focus limited: Animals only, -10%, Trait limited, Alternative Form only, -30%) [180]

Should allow to turn in a variety of normal animals. More powerful varieties or more exotic stuff like turning into an elemental, would change the focus limit, and increase the overall level of the power. This ability is really, really expensive as it is, but allows to turn in any animal. If you want more limitations, you can narrow down the focus to only specific animals, but than it might be cheaper to just buy the alternative forms seperately. If you want to reduce the number of usages per day, take the limited uses power modifier.

Riffington
2010-02-10, 07:13 PM
Sorry, I never read any book by Zelazny.

Fix this. You will thank me.

Superglucose
2010-02-10, 07:26 PM
small dog-like flying creature is probably small, quadruped and can fly (wings?). The other two are gadgets (the axe an innate cutting attack with electrocution as a follow-up attack, the powered armor increased abilities, size and the like, probably works best as an Alternative Form power. I need a bit more input than that.
It's powered armor. Not sure what you need.

Plant is simple, the bees are allies, the ship is either another ally or a gadget. And intership grappling? Sounds like fun.
Ours was the only ship in existence to use it. So you're not going to make the ship for me? :smalleek:

deuxhero
2010-02-11, 12:27 AM
The DSA Nameless One or the Planescape: Torment Nameless One?

DSA?

The Torment one.

dspeyer
2010-02-11, 02:20 AM
Morpheus, from Sandman.

Cybren
2010-02-11, 02:24 AM
there's no total immunity to damage in GURPS 4E.

DR (Infinite) costs infinite poinst

Satyr
2010-02-11, 06:11 AM
It's powered armor. Not sure what you need.

It's not much of a character. It is a vague description with two associated powers.

So, let's build this with the associated templates, for further assembly:

Template: Those small dog-like flying creatures

CP: 90
Campaign Style: It is a flying dog. It is either a demon who took the shape of a cute little doggy to devour the souls of children or it is a sily campaign.
Racial Template: Flying Dachshund
Abilities:
ST -2 [-20] DX +1 [20] IQ 0 [0] HT +1 [10]
Size -2 [0] HP 0 [0] Will 0 [0] Perception +3 [15] FP +1 [3]
Basic Speed +0.5 [10] Move +0
So, this is the skeleton: It is small yet still quite strong for its size, mobile and agile, and has very sharp senses.

Advantages:
appearance (cute)[4]
Charisma +2 [10]
Discriminatory Smell [15]
Fit [5]
Flying (winged, small wings uses ears as wings) [26]
Sharp Teeth [1]
Languages: Setting Common (Native), Bark!Bark! (Native) [6]
Cultural Familiarity: Dogpound
So... it's a small dog with large ears which he uses as wings, but he is not a very fast flyer. He is also cute, has a very strong sense of smell and can bite people. As a dog, two levels of charisma and Fitness are mandatory.

Perks:
Fur [1]
Congratulations, you will never be naked. Or get a sunburn.

Disadvantages:
Monochrome Vision [-10]
Semi-Upright [-5]
Sense of Duty ("Pack") [-5]

Our flying mutt cannot see any colors, prefer to use all fours to run around, and feels very strongly about his family and friends. Intolerance (Cats) doesn't appear, because that's no disadvantage, it's common sense.

Quirks
Congenial [-1]
Attentive [-1]

Still, piling up dog traits. Flying mutt does not like to be alone, and take care for other people's body language.

Skills
#: +3 through discriminatory smell
Aerobatics DX-1 [2]
Flight DX [2]
Detect Lies Per-2+3 [1]#
Track: Per-1+3 [1]#

Not many skills, but the essentials are there: Can scent track and smell lies, can fly and make tricks and stunts while airborne.

CP:
Attributes: 38
Advantages: 67
Perks: 1
Disadvantages: -20
Quirks: -2
Skills: 6

Electrocution Axe of Doom

Yes, this is the complicated, power based variety. In my games, I would just take an axe, increase the quality level add the vibrobalde from ultratech, and add a taster effect to it.
Axe of Doom: Innate Cutting Attack, 3d (Armor Divisor 2, +50%; Range: Melee 1, -25%, FollowUp: Electrocution, 0%, Gadget: Breakable DR 6- 15, -10%, Gadget: Can be stolen though trickery, -20%) [20]
Electrocution: Fatigue Attack, 2d, follow up to Axe of Doom, 0%, Side Effect: Paralysis, +150%, limited use 4/day, -20%, Range: Melee 1, -25%, Gadget: Breakable DR 6- 15, -10%, Gadget: Can be stolen though trickery, -20%) [35]

So... the axe can easily cut through usual armor (Armor Divisor) and deals terrible damage, if you like you can afterwards tase the target, which paralyses it, and drains it from its Fatigue. Because the axe is an item, it can be stolen, or destroyed, but ou wonderdog can then rebuild it or get a new one.

Powered Armor, Dog of War Mk. II
Again, just checking out the equipment chapter and buy one would be the simpler and probably more elegant take on this. This is the needlessly complicated "Hey, let's do it as if this were HERO and build everything with points! Including coffee mugs!" take on it, for the sake of it.

Powered Armor:
Alternative Form: Dog of War power armor. +150 CP , skinbound/can be destroyed (DR 30+), can be stolen through trickery, -10%) [149 CP]

Powers of the Power Armor:
Size: 2 [0]
STR +8 (Size, - 20%) [64]
Damage Resistance: 28 [140]
Negates Advantage: Flight [-26]
Noisy -4 [-8]
Numb [-20]
So, our dog thing cannot flap his ears to gain altitude when he wears a heavy armor. But, he is stronger, and actually hard to injure. And he is loud and obvious, because sneaking in power armor is a stupid idea, and you have also no tactile sense when you wear a ton of metal around you.

Again, not much character in there, so there are only a few templates:
Humanoid Plant:
Advantages:
Doesn't Breath [20]
Damage Resistance 2 (semi-ablative, -20%) [8]
Immunity to Metaboic Hazards [30]
Injury Tolerance (homogenous) [40]

Disadvantages:
Numb [-20]
Unusual Biochemnistry [-5]

Okay, this is mostly a large piece of walking wood. Leaf it alone.

The ship
I hate building vehicles. Vehicles are boring. Therefore I declare this ship to be a character, and thus an ally of the PC, or perhaps a PC on his own. This is only a rough draft.

Size: depending on ship tonnage, at least 9
ST: 200 (Size, -90%) [190], DX: 12 [20], IQ: 15 [100] HT: 18 [80]
HP: 500 [600], Will 12 [-15] Perception 14 [-5] FP: 20 [6]
So it is a big ship, and it is relatively strong. It is also highly intelligent.

Advantages:
Photographic Memory [10]
Damage Resistance (Hull) 20 [100]
Damage Resistance (Shield; Forcefield, Semi ablative) 25 [125]
Innate Attack (whatever weapons this thing have) [x]
Grapple Arms (Arm Strength +50) [150]
Long Arms (2 Arms, Reach +10) [200]
Injury Tolerance (unliving, homogenous) [60]
Flight (Space Flight, +50%) [60]
Enhaced Move (Space) 10 [200]
Payload (lots, again depending on tonage) [y]

Here you can almost as much additional stuff as you want, especially something like extra perception modes. The ship is not invulnerable, but most hand-carried weapons should not harm it.

Features:
Spaceship [0]
No legs [0]
Two Grappling Arms [0]

Disadvantages:
Numb [-20]
Social Stigma (Valuable Property) [-10]
unusual biochemnistry [-5]

Again, depending on the ship's personality, there are likely to be many more here.

Skills:
Depending on the Software; Autopilot skills etc. are likely to be high.
Judo -20 [36]
It's a wrestling ship. Sure it knows Judo.

This guy. Abilities should be as close to identical as possible.

I don't right rule conversions; it's the feeling that's important, not the mechanics. Sure, I can do Vancian magic in Gurps, but why should I? It is dull to convert, and not a very interesting system in the first place.
Either way, I need to read up on the Binder first. And probably on the hexblade as well.
A theory build, based on curse magic and channeling supernatural beings is no problem, though; it's just various alternate forms, and afflictions.

DSA?

A, no The German roleplaying game. Fantasy-based, but a bit more low key than D&D, and either completely constricted by its metaplot or absolutely awesome due to the vibrant and vivid feel of a world with such a strong and consequent development (your mileage may vary). The Nameless One there is the ultimate evil in the box. Writing him up would be a lot like creating a character sheet for Yog Shototh or Azatoth; it's basically a "Bang! You are dead!", on a universe scale.

The Nameless One from Planescape: Torment (at the beginning of the game)

Campaign Style: It's D&D, so heroic to silly fits best.
CP: unknown; it is very possible (hin, hint), that the amnesia hides a larger depot of CP and abilities than the character knows at first.

Abilities:
ST 12 [20] DX 12 [40] IQ 13 [60] HT 12 [20]
Size 0 [0] HP 14 [4] Will 13 [0] Perception 12 [-5] FP 14 [6]
Basic Speed 6.00 [0] Move 6
It's a computer game known for its freedom of choice, and the form the character can take; to find some kind of a middle way, I go for a well-rounded approach, with little extremes.

Advantages:
Unaging [15]
Unkillable (Vulnerability: Fire) [50]
Regeneration (Fast) [50]
Destiny (Grand) [15]
Charisma +3 [15]
Ally: Mort, Flying Skull (50% CP, 15-) [6]
Injury Tolerance: Unliving [20]
High Pain Threshold [10]

Cultural Familiarity: ?
Language: Common (Native)

This is the "let's run around in the morgue Nameless One". He mentions, as far as I know, that he shouldn't get incinerated at all costs, but otherwise he truly cannot die until he fulfils his destiny. and while he looks like an abused carcass, he has a certain aura of power, and all that.

Perks:
None that I can think of; at this point, the Nameless One is again a clean sheet and doesn't has a personality as such, so there are few minor traits representing this.

Disadvantages:
Amnesia (Total) [-25]
Appearance (ugly) [-15]
Exotic Feature (it's a 2m tall grey corpse. Who doesn't like clothes. Yeah, people will recognize him) [-5]
Weirdness Magnet [-15]

The Weirdness Magnet is mostly a result of the actions of his former incarnations. And yes, I conscider walking corpses to be ugly.

Quirks
Again, as with the Perks, the Nameless One hasn't developed anyone yet.

Skills
None he can remember at the moment, but slicing up zombies with a skalpell comes natural to him, so Knife 12 [1] is a given.

And yes, this would be an absolute awesome one on one campaign.

A stereotypical anime villain. Sephiroth-esc hair/long hair in silver, black, metallic light blue, white or that weird black-green color is a must. As for abilities, he's a stereotypical ANIME villain, so he should be on a tier high enough to be the final villain/big bad of a cliche' shonen manga.
Thank you for this one, that sounds like loads of fun to write up, but I'll need some time.

there's no total immunity to damage in GURPS 4E.

DR (Infinite) costs infinite poinst

High levels of injury tolerance (damage reduction), DR and focused regeneration come very close to this.

Satyr
2010-02-11, 07:53 AM
• Highest of Holies: The Unconquered Sun can name his enemies as creatures of darkness, marking them as unholy. His own attacks are supernaturally effective against them, as is any other holy power or magic.

• Perfection Beyond Imagining: The Unconquered Sun is supernaturally skilled at every possible ability or skill, nearing the absolute limits of even superhuman capability. In addition, as long as he acts righteously and confidently, he cannot fail at any action whatsoever as long as he focuses his will on it.

• Titan-Unleashing Clarion: The Unconquered Sun can summon and command a number of beings of cosmic power, ranging from the conquered creators of the universe to apocalypse gods to mere world-destroying dragons. However, he can issue only a single command, and has no guarantee that it won't be twisted by whatever he summons, making this power mostly a trap.

• The Aegis of Unconquered Might: The Unconquered Sun is supernaturally resistant to all harm, and cannot be hurt by harmful or hazardous environments. In addition, as long as he acts with temperance and self-restraint, he is literally invincible, incapable of being damaged, harmed, negatively altered or affected, or killed. The only way to bypass this is to force him into acting without self-restraint.

• The Godspear of All-Searing Noon: The Unconquered Sun's spear, which is an innate part of his own nature, is a supremely powerful weapon on par with the most powerful of magical artifacts. In addition, as long as he acts with courage and boldness, it is capable of dealing arbitrarily high damage to anything it strikes, and possesses infinite range. He may also choose to unleash massive explosions with it.

Less essential powers include banishing and summoning demons, teleportation that is unlimited in range but extremely costly, flight, omniscience, speaking all languages as long as he acts compassionately, healing and empowering others, limited shapeshifting, blinding light, and magical kung fu.

Woohhoo. A flawless superbeing. Sounds like fun. And so very interesting.

Because this is again no character, but a bunch of traits, I’ll just write up the powers.

Highest of Holies: Affliction: Disadvantage: Dread: Holiness (+10%),Disadvantage: Vulnerability: Holiness (very common, because it affects all his powers, damage x2; +40%) Cosmic, no resistance (+100%), Malediction (+100%); 35 CP/Level

Attacks: get the Holy power source [0%]. Holy Power Talent [10/level].

Perfection Beyond Imagining: Modular Abilities: Cosmic Powers, skills only, cosmic: No die roll required [+100%], skills only [-20%]; [18 CP per skill at the same time, can be changed immediately; alternatively, 54 CP per wildcard! skill)

Titan-Unleashing Clarion: Ally (100% CP), Summonable (100%), Unwilling (-50%); 15 CP per creature;
Alternatively: Modular Abilities: Cosmic Powers (Focus Limited: Titans only (-10%), Trait limited: Summonable unwilling Allies only (-50%)), 80 CP for any such creature you can think of, including weaker ones than the character himself, or swarms of cute little ones.

The Aegis of Unconquered Might (Damn, these names are ridiculous): Injury Tolerance (ridiculous, /50) [300], Regeneration 20HP/S [300], unkillable [50]

[B]The Godspear of All-Searing Noon (how does one even say this while keeping a strait face?)
Innate Attack, impaling, cosmic: infinite Range (+100%). 16 CP / level.
Alternative Attack: Burning Attack, Area Effect (+100%), Damage Modifier: Explosion (+100%), Alternative Attack x1/5) 5 CP / level.

All powers have the limitation: Pact: Code of Honor (Blatant Self Righteousness or something like that) [-15%]
And is it me or is Exalted cheesier than Adam West in a suit made out of ripe Camenbert?

Revenant, Warlock|Wizard
I actually have some problems with this, because me and D&D4, that just doesn't work well. So, I have still only very basic ideas how the system works, and for stuff like hybrids or revenants, I have to speculate.

CP: 250 CP Dungeon Fantasy Standard, uses modified DF template; cinematic to silly rules (based on D&D).

Abilities:
ST 10 [0] DX 11 [20] IQ 13 [60] HT 13 [30]
Size 0 [0] HP 13 [6] Will 13 [0] Perception 12 [-5] FP 15 [6]
Basic Speed 6.00 [5] Move 6
So, spellcaster standard until now. For good ol' minmaxing, increase IQ, decrease Will, and especially Per.

Advantages:
Magery 0 [5]
Magery 2 [20]
Innate Attack: Eldritch Blast (Corrosion Attack, 2d6+2, based on HT (own roll, +20%) [32]
Ally: Summon Fire Warrior (50% CP, summonable, +100%, Minion, +50%) [5]
Injury Tolerance (unliving) [20]
Languages: Common (Native)
Cultural Familiarity: undead things.
I actually have no idea what Winged Horde does, but that is probably covered by the Magery in one way or other.

Perks:
Illumination [1]
You can make dark rooms a bit lighter. Think E.T. index finger torchlight. I don't know why I added this.

Disadvantages:
Bloodthirsty (12-) [-10]
Greed (12-) [-15]
Sense of Duty (Adventuring Companions) [-5]
Social Stigma (Monster/ undead thing) [-15]
Unnatural Features (an undead creature based on the love child of a mortal and an elemental. Sure, completely normal [-5]

Bloodthirsty, Greed and Sense of Duty are genre-typical standard mentality traits of D&D. More disads would be neat, for both balancing and character depth, but cannot be deduced from the character sheet. The social stigma and the Unnatural Traits are a side effect of being something undead.

Quirks
5 unknown quirks [-5]
The character sheet doesn't include many character traits, but probably the character does has personality.

Skills
#: +2 through Magery
Area Knowledge (Setting) 10 [1]
Brawling 12 [1]
First Aid (Humans) 10 [1]
Gesture 13 [1]
Hidden Lore (Undead Lore) 13 [2]
Hiking 12 [1]
History 12 [2]
Hobby1 10 [1] or 13 [1]
Innate Attack (Eldritch Blast) 15 [4]
Intimidation 13 [2]
Knife 12 [2]
Naturalist 11 [1]
Ritual 13 [1]#
Savoir Faire (occult) 13 [1]
Staff 10 [1]
Stealth 10 [1]
Symbol Drawing 13 [1]#
Thaumatology 15 [4]#

Spells: 42 CP
Usual IQ/H spell: 13 [1]; Favorite Spells 15 [4]
Around 30 Spells.
Yeah, I don't like spellshopping. Pick a favorite field of magic, and we will see.

CP:
Attributes: 122
Advantages: 112
Disadvantages: -50
Skills: 28
Spells: 42

Jack_Simth
2010-02-11, 08:01 AM

I haven't checked GURPS 4, but GURPS 3 has the Supers supplement, which does indeed include "Invulnerability" to make you immune to things. "Any kinetic" costs 300 points, "Common" (such as Crushing, or Slashing/Piercing) is 150. As they get less common, they get cheaper.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-02-11, 08:05 AM
An intelligent king-sized mattress named Rodger who casts spells.

(In 3.5 he would be an animated object that has had awaken construct cast on it and has gone on to take sorcerer levels.)

Roderick_BR
2010-02-11, 08:30 AM
*Wicked Grin*

Would it be mean-spirited to suggest something for the sole sake of watching you futilely work to fit it into a system drastically not scaled for that kind of thing?
Believe me,Gurps can do pretty much anything.

Lapak
2010-02-11, 09:55 AM
Woohhoo. A flawless superbeing. Sounds like fun. And so very interesting.
And is it me or is Exalted cheesier than Adam West in a suit made out of ripe Camenbert?

I think this points out a significant hole in the GURPS ruleset, actually; it doesn't deal well with absolutes. Even with the stats you've assigned for, say, the Aegis of Unconquered Might - it's a mechanically defined stat, and thus has an upper bound. A sufficiently powerful attacker, also defined in GURPS terms, could overcome it if I'm reading it right. The point of the character is the fact that overcoming it with more raw force is not possible, and an interpretation that misses that flavor is not a good one. Exalted is full of the same thing at lower levels - most Solars have at least one Perfect Defense that is a flat-out "you missed me", no matter how talented or powerful or ridiculous the attack was or how large the numbers backing it were or what the source or type of attack is. That's not something that GURPS models well, as I've been given to understand it.

Someone threw out Morpheus from Sandman earlier in the thread - that's another good example. He's powerful, but not absurdly so except in very specific circumstances - but his powers are vague and story-centric by design, and any interpretation that limits them at all within the field he controls - creativity, stories, and dreams - misses the point. And he's deeply flawed despite this.

EDIT: All of which is not to say that GURPS can't handle a vast array of different settings and systems and characters - it can, to a greater or lesser degree. But there are things it can't do, because the basic intent of some systems and settings is at odds with how it measures a character's abilities.

Satyr
2010-02-11, 10:34 AM

The White Tiger
Fan-favourite jerk villain in a nakama – samurai martial arts manga drama
Appearance: Strangely androgynous, dark, sun tanned skin, long, snow white hair, purple eyes, ambitious smile, stunning good looks. Wears a dark kimono and the obviously awesome katana on his sight.

CP: 450 CP (villain / rival in a high power cinematic campaign with strong Martial Arts Focus)

Abilities:
ST 14 [40] DX 16 [120] IQ 12 [40] HT 13 [30]
Size 0 [0] HP 15 [2] Will 14 [10] Perception 12 [0] FP 15 [3]
Basic Speed 8.00 [15] Move 8
He is inhumanly quick and agile, easily equal to Olympic athletes.

Advantages:
Appearance: Very Handsome [16]
Talent: Born War Leader +2 [10]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Enhanced Parry (2H Sword) [5]
Extra Attack: (2H Sword only) [20]
Fearlessness +2 [4]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Rapid Healing [5]
Reputation: Invincible Swordsman: +3 (always, everybody in the setting) [15]
Signature Gear: (The Golden Blade Of The Angry Mountain Spirits) [26]
Status +2 [10]
Trained by a Master [20]
Very Fit [15]
Weapon Master (Katana) [20]
Languages: Japanese (Native)
Cultural Familiarity: Feudal Japan

Yes, he is an absolute specialised but highly dangerous swordsman. The Born War Leader Talent grants a bonus to all leadership and tactical skills.

Perks:
Androgynous [1]
Grip Mastery (Katana) [1]
Style Familiarity (Kenjutsu) [1]
Weapon Bond (The Golden Blade Of The Angry Mountain Spirits) [1]

Yes, he knows about Kenjutsu. And how to grip a Katana. And he looks like a lady.

Disadvantages:
Bloodthirsty (12-) [-10]
Bully (12-) [-10]
Callous [-5]
Code of Honour (Bushido) [-15]
Duty (Family, 12-) [-5]
Greed (12-) [-15]
Guilt Complex [-5[
Obsession (Perfect my Art at any Cost) [-10]
Reputation (Brutal Bastard; -3, rarely recognized (7-), everybody [-8]
Selfish [-5]
Sense of Duty (Family) [-5]
Vow (never refuse a challenge to a fair duel) [-10]
Workaholic [-5]

He is meant to be a jerk, but also to be the fan favourite, so he has a few redeeming features – he is honourable and loves his family. He is sometimes forced to do things for his family he doesn’t want (e.g. not training like a maniac or killing people he doesn’t care about), and sometimes he has angst attacks and feels guilty for what he has done.

Quirks
Chauvinistic [-1]
Delusion (All people love me deep inside!) [-1]
Proud [-1]
Trademark (white hair and purple eyes) [-1]
Uncongenial [-1]

So… he likes himself a lot, you know? And other people… not so much.

Skills
#: +2 through Born War Leader; *: +6 through Appearance D: default from a higher skill
Acrobatics 15 [2]
Area Knowledge (Japan) 10 [1]
Blind Fighting 10 [2]
Bow 16 [2]
Breath Control 13 [2]
Broadsword 18 [2] D
Climbing 15 [1]
Connoisseur (Weapons) 12 [2]
Erotic Arts 16 [2]
Fast Draw (Arrow) 17 [1]
Fast Draw (Katana) 17 [1]
First Aid 12 [1]
Gambling 11 [1]
Gesture 11 [2]
Intimidation 14 [2]
Jitte/Sai 15 [1]
Judo 16 [4]
Karate 18 [12]
Kiai 11 [1]
Knife 16 [1]
Leadership 14 [2]#
Meditation 12 [1]
Naturalist 10 [1]
Philosophy (Zen Buddhism) 10 [1]
Polearm 16 [2]
Power Blow 14 [4]
Riding (Equines) 15 [1]
Savoir Faire (Dojo) 12 [1]
Savoir Faire (High Society) 12 [1]
Savoir Faire (Military) 14 [1]#
Sex Appeal 19 [2]*
Shortsword 18 [6] D
Soldier 14 [2]#
Spear 16 [2]
Stealth 15 [1]
Strategy (land) 12 [1]#
Swimming 13 [1]
Tactics 13 [2]#
Thrown Weapon (Shuriken) 16 [1]
Two-Handed Swords 24 [22]

He has a few esoteric skills, but those result from the setting. His two major skills are: Slicing people and looking damn sexy while doing it. He is also a more than decent commander for a small to medium combat unit.

Equipment: The Golden Blade Of The Angry Mountain Spirits
The GBOTAMS is a fine, balanced Katana, with the weapon bond trait. Leading to the absolute Level of 25 (Parry 17) and deals 4d+1 cutting or 2d+1 impaling damage on a hit.
He cannot permanently lose the weapon, and if he does, he gains an equal or better replacement.

CP:
Attributes: 260
Advantages: 191
Perks: 4
Disadvantages: -108
Skills: 108

I think this points out a significant hole in the GURPS ruleset, actually; it doesn't deal well with absolutes. Even with the stats you've assigned for, say, the Aegis of Unconquered Might - it's a mechanically defined stat, and thus has an upper bound. A sufficiently powerful attacker, also defined in GURPS terms, could overcome it if I'm reading it right. The point of the character is the fact that overcoming it with more raw force is not possible, and an interpretation that misses that flavor is not a good one.[...] That's not something that GURPS models well, as I've been given to understand it.

Na, you just need to use the Cosmic Power Mod more gratuitiously than I do or like; These absolutes are just bad design decisions, so I try to avoid them. The idea of a conversion is not to copy the rules and paradigms of the original, but the ideas and leave the fallacies behind.
Defense (cosmic, no die roll required) is absolutely no problem with the Gurps rules... it's just incredible boring and thus i have neglected it in the cases I didn't feel lazy about.
Besides, if you have the ultimate defense that always works meeting the attack that always hits... doesn't that lead to some kind of terrible paradoxon?

Someone threw out Morpheus from Sandman earlier in the thread - that's another good example. He's powerful, but not absurdly so except in very specific circumstances - but his powers are vague and story-centric by design, and any interpretation that limits them at all within the field he controls - creativity, stories, and dreams - misses the point. And he's deeply flawed despite this.

Morpheus uses a vast amount of the Modular Abilities: Cosmic Powers trait and illusions. There is nothing difficult about it at all. I admit that I only have read the first book, but as far as I can remember, there is nothing I couldn't build in Gurps in there.

Lapak
2010-02-11, 10:40 AM
Na, you just need to use the Cosmic Power Mod more gratuitiously than I do or like; These absolutes are just bad design decisions, so I try to avoid them. The idea of a conversion is not to copy the rules and paradigms of the original, but the ideas and leave the fallacies behind. That's my point exactly, actually. What you're calling the 'fallacies' there are the POINT of the character you are converting. He is the living embodiment of 'Perfection'; attempting to put mechanical limits on his powers is abandoning the idea of the character and making something else.

Defense (cosmic, no die roll required) is absolutely no problem with the Gurps rules... it's just incredible boring and thus i have neglected it in the cases I didn't feel lazy about.
Besides, if you have the ultimate defense that always works meeting the attack that always hits... doesn't that lead to some kind of terrible paradoxon? Exalted covers that particular problem with a 'defense always trumps offense' rule. A perfect attack will miss if directed at a perfect defense.

Amphetryon
2010-02-11, 10:54 AM
I don't right rule conversions; it's the feeling that's important, not the mechanics. Sure, I can do Vancian magic in Gurps, but why should I? It is dull to convert, and not a very interesting system in the first place.
Either way, I need to read up on the Binder first. And probably on the hexblade as well.
A theory build, based on curse magic and channeling supernatural beings is no problem, though; it's just various alternate forms, and afflictions.So long as it's understood that a character that cannot closely approximate the abilities of a Dark Speech-using Hexblade/Binder does not fit into my concept of a 'conversion', as the one who made the request.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-11, 11:04 AM

It's just you.

Well, possibly you and anyone who knows a bit of Exalted but never played it. :smalltongue:

Thane of Fife
2010-02-11, 11:37 AM
:smallconfused: Is this going to be the next "trend" thread? You know, like Morally Justified threads... and Vs. Threads...

Not insulting you or anything, Satyr.

Edit: But a more important question is how long it will be before somebody makes a FATAL conversion thread. :smallamused:

I actually tried a more general such thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105088) a while back (about this time last year, actually); there were precious few responses (I did try a FATAL version of her, though I didn't post it. She pretty much sucked. I don't think a FATAL conversion thread is possible - it's too limiting of a game).

To Satyr - I would like to see Aleena in GURPS (it shouldn't be any trouble at all, she's pretty simple).

From the other thread,

Meet Aleena:

<Insert picture of young woman smiling and waving>

Aleena is a young woman, probably human, who grew up in a medium-sized city as the daughter of a baker. Though she got along well with her parents and siblings, the baker's life simply wasn't exciting enough for her, and she ran off to join a mercenary company. After a relatively short period serving in said company, disaster struck, and the company was destroyed in an ambush, which Aleena survived. Left without a job, she turned her soldiering skills to more personal mercenary work - guard duty, exploration, that sort of thing. She's what you might call an adventurer.

There a number of examples of her in the other thread, if you want more than that.

Satyr
2010-02-13, 11:50 AM
Concerning Exalted:
The basic assumption in Gurps, and I tend to strongly agree with this, is that absolutes are not very interesting, and perfection is a goal, not a status. You strive for it, you don't achieve it.
Therefore, the total immunities in 3rd and earlier editions mentioned earlier in this thread were left out of the current edition, because they are considered to be a bad design idea. Again, I tend to agree with this.

Amphetryon's Frankenfertir
What is it with all those undeads? And is it possible that whole character is a bit of redundant "Hey, let's debuff other characters by my mere presence stuff?"

Rodger, the smartest mattress in the world
CP: 600 A very powerful villain or anti hero in a Gurps: Dungeon Fantasy campaign; again as this is based on D&D, it uses heroic to silly rule elements. This character uses the unholy power modifiers a lot and is partially based on the unholy warrior lense from DF3. This character his terrible to behold.

Abilities:
ST 11 [10] DX 11 [20] IQ 14 [80] HT 12 [20]
Size 0 [0] HP 14 [6] Will 14 [0] Perception 12 [-10] FP 15 [9]
Basic Speed 6.0 [5] Move 6 [0]
Frankenfertir is phyiscally not very impressing, but he has a sharp and vivid mind.

Advantages:
Intact Undead Metatrait [97]
Affliction: Dark Whispers (attribute penalty IQ-2 (+20%), costs fatigue +2 (-10%), Disadvantage: Diabolical Phantom Voices (+15%), Incapacitation: Hallucinations (+50%), Malediction (+100%), Sense-based: Hearing (-20%), power mod Unholy (-10%), alternative power (x1/5) [5]
Affliction: Filthy Outbursts (costs hitpoints +3 (-30%), Disadvantage: Deafness (+20%), Disadvantage: Unholy Susceptibilty -5 (+15%), Malediction (+100%), Sense-based: Hearing (-20%), power mod Unholy (-10%), alternative power (x1/5) [4]
Affliction: Hexblade Curse (costs fatigue +1 (-5%), Irritant: Moderate Pain (+20%), Malediction (+100%), power mod Unholy (-10%), Resistable: Will (will-4) (-10%) [20]
Affliction: Stench of the Death (Always on (-50%), Area effect +4 (+100%), Emanation (-20%), Irritant: Nauseated (+30%), Resistable: HT (HT-4) (-10%) [15]
Charisma +4 [20]
Fearlessness +3 [6]
Magic Resistance (improved, +100%)+ 2 [10]
Modular Abilites: Cosmic Powers: Binding +15 (Focus: Highly Versatile Focus (-5%), physical and mental traits (+100%), Traits limited (only available through vesitges, -20%), Preparation required: 10 minutes (-30%), power mod Unholy (-10%), Temporary Disadvantage (-15%), requires 2 skill checks: Ritual Magic & Symbol Drawing (-10%) [165]
Terror +2: The Dark Language (Active (+0%), costs hitpoits +1 (-10%), Sense Based: Hearing (-20%), power mod Unholy (-10%) [36]
Unholiness 2 [10]
Unholy Might Channeling (power mod Unholy (-10%)) [9]
Unholy Ally: Dark Companion (75% CP, 12- (+100%), summonable (+100%), minion (0%), power mod Unholy (-10%) [9]

Languages: Common (Native), The Dark Language (Native) [6], Elven (Native) [6], Drow (Native) [6], Infernal (Native) [6]
Cultural Familiarity: Elvish
The various afflctions are curses and utterances in the vile Dark Language, that may drive its victims crazy or hurt them. They are based on the power to create sheer terror. The two Dark Language afflictions were gratuitiously conscidered to be alternative powers. The Hexblade Curse creates pain, the vile stench of this eldritch undead creature will let you retch and it can summon a dark creature of pure shadows to haunt his enemies. It can also use his unholy powers to invoke a few blasphemous spells and is eerily fascinating in its vileness (despite the stench). But its most terrible power is the ability to channel powerful vestiges to posess him, and take their powers for a time, which grants a highly flexible additional power. The Temporary disadvantage of the Biding depends on the channeled vestige.

Perks:
Legionary of the Damned [1]
Grip Mastery (Glaive) [1]
The damned conscider the character as one of their own. And he is adaptable with his Glaive.

Disadvantages:
Bad Sight (near sighted) [-25]
Bloodlust (12-) [-10]
Frightens Animals [-10]
Greed (12-) [-15]
Vulnerability (Holiness, occasional, x2) [-20]

The Bad Sight disad is a result of the corresponding flaw. Frankenfertir doesn't wear glasses. Again, Bloodlust, Greed and the Sense of Duty are genre-specific obligatory traits for D&D characters. The vulnerability and the frightening animals are a result of being a stinking undead using the most vile of magic.

Quirks
5 generic quirks [-5]

Too little details in the character write up to deduce any personality traits.

Skills
D: skill is based on a default level.
Area Knowledge (Setting) 14 [1]
Brawl 12 [2]
Climbing 10 [1]
Crossbow 13 [4]
Detect Lies 13 [7]D
Diplomacy 15 [8]
Exorcism 14 [4]
Gesture 14 [1]
Hidden Lore (Undead Lore) 15 [4]
Hidden Lore (Vestiges) 15 [4]
Hiking 12 [1]
Interrogation 14 [0] D
Intimidation 17 [12]
Knife 12 [2]
Leadership 13 [1]
Meditation 13 [2]
Naturalist (Setting) 12 [1]
Physiology (humanoids) 14 [4]
Poisons 12 [1]
Polearm 16 [20]
Psychology (humanoids) 13 [2]
Ritual Magic (Binding) 14 [8]
Savoir Faire (High Society) 14 [1]
Stealth 10 [1]
Strategy (Land) 12 [1]
Symbol Drawing (Binding) 15 [8]
Tactics 14 [4]
Thaumatology 14 [8]

Most importantly, he has the skills to use his abilities, but the true power of the character is based on his afflictions. Nonetheless, he is a competent polearm fighter, with a high degree of training and experience.

Spells:
[COLOR="#ff0000"]Frankenfertir has the abiltiy to cast spells with the unholy codeword, he probably focuses on mind control spells. Again, I don't like spellshopping, so we jst assume, he knows six basic spells on the mind control list with 14 [1] and 2 favorite ones with 15 [2] for a total 10 CP grimoire.

CP:
Attributes: 140
Advantages: 430
Disadvantages: -80
Skills: 113
Spells: 10
Total: 600

An intelligent king-sized mattress named Rodger who casts spells.
That was actually a very fun build. It is a tad silly, but than again, what do you expect from a living mattress mage?

Rodger, the smartest mattress in the world
CP: 350 Since we are talking about a sentient mattress it is probably safe to assume that this is a silly campaign. He is a bit more powerful than a usual, heroic campaign character, but mostly because he has unique mattress powers, and I liked adding weird additional abilities to the build.

Abilities:
ST 14 [No Fine Manipulators, -40%, Size -10%; 20] DX 11 [No Fine Manipulators, -40%; 12] IQ 15 [100] HT 12 [20]
Size 1 [0] HP 16 [4] Will 15 [0] Perception 13 [-10] FP 16 [12]
Basic Speed 6.00 [5] Move 2 [-20]
Rodger moves like flat, broad caterpillar. He isn't very fast that way, but he can move extremely heavy loads while doing so. He is also very smart, mostly because he is the world's smartest mattress.

Advantages
Clinging [20]
Damage Resistance 6 (crushing only, cannot wear armor) [6]
Doesn't Breathe [20]
Eidetic Memory [5]
Flexibility [5]
Magic Resistance +3 (improved, +150%) [15]
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]
Injury Tolerance (homogenous) [30]
Intuitive Mathematician [5]
Magery 0 [5]
Magery 3, (adcanced rituals 2, +20%) [36]
Silence +2 [10]
Unaging [15]
Languages: Common (Native)
Cultural Familiarity: Whoever used that bedroom
Rodger is incredible hard to kill. He doesn't bleed, he is flexible and most crushing attack just bounce back from him, you cannot poison him and he can't get ill. He doesn't even age. He is also very smart, and has both an impressive memory and a knack for numbers. He is also a powerful spelllcaster, and his advanced rituals are hardly recognizable - he can stealth cast most of the time, and can move very silently to sneak up on his victims. His ability to cling to any surface means that he can also crawl -slowly - on the ceiling or a vertical wall.

Perks:
Mimic [1]
Rodger's immitation of a matress is uncanny.

Disadvantages
Fragile (Combustible) [-5]
Horizontal [-10]
No Fine Manipulators [-30]
No legs/cannot kick [-5]
Phobia: Fire (12-) [-5]
Sleepy (asleep for 16 hours a day) [-16]
Social Stigma (valuable property) [-10]
Unusual Biochemnistry [-5]

Wealth [poor] [-15]
Rodger is a matress, so he sleeps a lot. He basically slither around, which means that he has difficulties to stand up, but he can do so for a short time. He cannot kick (but he packs a nasty punch for those who come too close to him) and since he has figured out that he can practically live ofr ever and the only thing that could truly hurt him is a fire, he fears that a lot. You would fear burning as well if you consisted mostly out of goose feathers.

Quirks
Code of Honor (protecting matresses) [-1]
Dity Old Mattress [-1]
Habit (Mentions "it's bedtime for..." a lot) [-1]
Proud [-1]
Sexless [-1]

Rodger is a dedicated protector of all sentient mattresses all over the world. This will be more significant if he ever meets another one. He has the tendency to use puns around sleeping a lot, but not so often that it is truly annoying. He is also very proud of being the world's smartest mattress, and fortunately for the world, he has no sex drive whatsoever, but because he is a Dirty Old Mattress, it is a pervers joy for him when others ... couple... on him.

Skills
Fitting for a silly campaign, Rodger uses Wildcard! skills.
Athletics! 9 [6]
Martial Artist! 10 [12]
Scholar! 14 [12]
Science! 13 [6]
Spy! 9 [6]
Occultism! 14 [12]

occultism! is the catch-all skill for all things magical. Rodger doesn't look like it, but he is competent in beating people up and in snaeking and infiltrating.

Spells:
Again, using Wildcard! Spells, as for the skills. I am lazy today.

Air College! 15 [24]
Movement College! 15 [24]
Knowledge College! 13 [6]

While it would be fun to build a demonic mattress, I think that Rodger has a thing for telekinesis and air spells which allow him to manipulate his environment and to fly. The knowledge spells are a nice bonus if you take pride in your smartness, as Rodger does. His Air spells also allow him to zap potential enemies with lightnings,

In a fight, Rodger can pummel enemies, or use his spells to become a terrifying threat. He probably levitates around, hastes himself and let lightnings rain upon his victims.

CP:
Attributes: 138
Advantages: 181
Disadvantages: -116
Skills: 57
Spells: 54

Tinydwarfman
2010-02-13, 01:47 PM
Concerning Exalted:
The basic assumption in Gurps, and I tend to strongly agree with this, is that absolutes are not very interesting, and perfection is a goal, not a status. You strive for it, you don't achieve it.
Therefore, the total immunities in 3rd and earlier editions mentioned earlier in this thread were left out of the current edition, because they are considered to be a bad design idea. Again, I tend to agree with this.

I agree, they also do not make much sense. Sure The Unconquered Sun has such arbitrarily high modifiers he is always going to succeed in any normal task, but what happens when a newer, stronger, more powerful god comes around? Even gods don't have absolutes, unless you are playing in a setting where in a setting with a God (note the capital) who is omnipotent, and has no rivals. Then you have no need to stat it, whatever he wants just happens.

OldTrees
2010-02-13, 03:50 PM
General Concept
Undead Necromancer 20
can scry anywhere in his kingdom at will
has a ridiculously huge army
his obsession with fairness lead him to create a nondiscriminatory iron fist all-seeing dictatorship
Uses zombies for cheap free labor to feed populace to create a service/higher learning driven populace
can't/won't lie
prefers nonviolent solutions
researches for a way to combine black and white necromancy

Army Summary
{table]Zombies<br>2HD Tiny Flying<br>With 5ft reach|1,419,907
Skeletons<br>1HD|96,822[/table]
113,065 Assorted Necromancers of varying levels to run a great university

D&D 3.5 Character Sheet

Morris ECL 20
Upgraded Necropolitian Magic Blooded Venerable Star Elf Deathwalker1/DreadNecromancer6/DungeonLord5/DreadNecromancer+2/Red Wizard 6
Medium Sized Humanoid (Elven, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 20d12+160 (295hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40ft
Armor Class: 8 (-3 Dexterity)
Touch Armor Class: 8
Flat-footed Armor Class: 8
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +9/+6
Attack: Charnel Touch +6 melee 1d8+2 negative and (as spell) or ray spell +6 ranged (as spell)
Full Attack: Charnel Touch +6 melee 1d8+2 negative and (as spell) or ray spell +6 ranged (as spell)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Charnel Touch, Fear Aura, Negative Energy Burst 2/day, Rebuke Undead,
Scabrous Touch, spells
Special Qualities: Animate Objects, Circle Leader, Complete Awareness, DR 4/magic bludgeon, Dungeon Defenders, Dungeon Mastery, Dungeon Minions, Dungeon Step 3/day, Enhanced Specialization (Illusion), Horde Lord +2, Eleven Traits,
Lowlight vision, Master of the Dead, Otherworldly Touch, Resist Control, Specialist Defense +2, Spell Power +3, Summon Familiar, Turn Resistance +6, Undead Familiar, Undead Mastery, Undead Traits, Unnatural Resiliency
Saves: Fort +5, Reflexes +5, Will +20 (+2 vs necromancy)
Abilities: Strength 05, Dexterity 05, Con -, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 16, Charisma 27
Skills: Bluff [23]+31,Concentration [0]+8,Diplomacy [0]+9, Disguise [23]+31, Knowledge(Arcana) [16] +22,
Knowledge(History)[4]+8, Knowledge(Religion) [18]+22, Knowledge (Strategy & Tactics) [23]+27,
Listen [0] +5, Search [0]+6, Sense Motive [0]+2, Spot [0]+5, Spellcraft [16] +24, Survival (Track)+11
Feats: Fell Animate, Undead Leadership [34], Precocious Apprentice (Command Undead), Sanctum Spell,
Scribe Scroll, Tattoo Focus (Necromancy), Leadership[34], Improved Cohort, Arcane Disciple, Eschew Materials, Twin Spell
Flaws: Pathetic (Strength), Pathetic (Dexterity)
Traits: Honest, Spellgifted (Necromancy)

Spell DCs (14+spell level + 1 if necromancy) Caster Level (0 + 5 if necromancy + 1 if cast meta in sanctum)
0th Acid Splash, Arcane Mark, Detect Poison
1st Chill Touch, Chill Touch, Chill Touch
2nd Command Undead, Sanctum Fell Animate Acid Splash
Spell-like Abilities (caster level 20)
1/day Detect Magic, Disguise Self, Magic Aura, Read Magic
Spell DC (18+spell level + 1 if necromancy) Caster Level (18 + 5 if necromancy + 1 if cast meta in sanctum)
1st 8 Cure Light Wounds, Detect Magic, Detect Undead, Inflict Light Wounds, Summon Undead I,
Undetectable Alignment
2nd 8 Command Undead, Cure Moderate Wounds, Desecrate, Gentle Repose, Ghoul’s Touch, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Scare, Spectral Hand, Summon Undead II, Sanctum Fell Animate Acid Splash
3rd 8 Cure Serious Wounds, Ray of Exhaustion, Speak with Dead
4th 8 Animate Dead, Bestow Curse, Death Ward, Dispel Magic, Enervation,
Inflict Critical Wounds, Summon Undead IV
5th 7 Cloudkill, Greater Dispel Magic, Mass Inflict Light Wounds, Oath of Blood, Slay Living, Summon Undead V
6th 7 Animate Dread Warrior, Create Undead, Geas/Quest, Harm, Mass Inflict Moderate Wounds
7th 7 Control Undead, Destruction, Finger of Death, Mass Inflict Serious Wounds
8th 7 Create Greater Undead, Horrid Wilting, Mass Inflict Critical Wounds, Symbol of Death
9th 4 Imprison Soul, Mass Harm, Plague of Undeath, Wail of the Bannshee

Jack_Simth
2010-02-13, 04:00 PM
Hmm... how do you do a conversion of your basic Wizard-12/Lich to GURPS?

I mean, the whole unkillable arcane caster bit seems like it'd be tricky.

Tinydwarfman
2010-02-13, 04:05 PM
General Concept
Undead Necromancer 20
can scry anywhere in his kingdom at will
has a ridiculously huge army
his obsession with fairness lead him to create a nondiscriminatory iron fist all-seeing dictatorship
Uses zombies for cheap free labor to feed populace to create a service/higher learning driven populace
can't/won't lie
prefers nonviolent solutions
researches for a way to combine black and white necromancy

Army Summary
{table]Zombies<br>2HD Tiny Flying<br>With 5ft reach|1,419,907
Skeletons<br>1HD|96,822[/table]
113,065 Assorted Necromancers of varying levels to run a great university

D&D 3.5 Character Sheet

Morris ECL 20
Upgraded Necropolitian Magic Blooded Venerable Star Elf Deathwalker1/DreadNecromancer6/DungeonLord5/DreadNecromancer+2/Red Wizard 6
Medium Sized Humanoid (Elven, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 20d12+160 (295hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40ft
Armor Class: 8 (-3 Dexterity)
Touch Armor Class: 8
Flat-footed Armor Class: 8
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +9/+6
Attack: Charnel Touch +6 melee 1d8+2 negative and (as spell) or ray spell +6 ranged (as spell)
Full Attack: Charnel Touch +6 melee 1d8+2 negative and (as spell) or ray spell +6 ranged (as spell)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Charnel Touch, Fear Aura, Negative Energy Burst 2/day, Rebuke Undead,
Scabrous Touch, spells
Special Qualities: Animate Objects, Circle Leader, Complete Awareness, DR 4/magic bludgeon, Dungeon Defenders, Dungeon Mastery, Dungeon Minions, Dungeon Step 3/day, Enhanced Specialization (Illusion), Horde Lord +2, Eleven Traits,
Lowlight vision, Master of the Dead, Otherworldly Touch, Resist Control, Specialist Defense +2, Spell Power +3, Summon Familiar, Turn Resistance +6, Undead Familiar, Undead Mastery, Undead Traits, Unnatural Resiliency
Saves: Fort +5, Reflexes +5, Will +20 (+2 vs necromancy)
Abilities: Strength 05, Dexterity 05, Con -, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 16, Charisma 27
Skills: Bluff [23]+31,Concentration [0]+8,Diplomacy [0]+9, Disguise [23]+31, Knowledge(Arcana) [16] +22,
Knowledge(History)[4]+8, Knowledge(Religion) [18]+22, Knowledge (Strategy & Tactics) [23]+27,
Listen [0] +5, Search [0]+6, Sense Motive [0]+2, Spot [0]+5, Spellcraft [16] +24, Survival (Track)+11
Feats: Fell Animate, Undead Leadership [34], Precocious Apprentice (Command Undead), Sanctum Spell,
Scribe Scroll, Tattoo Focus (Necromancy), Leadership[34], Improved Cohort, Arcane Disciple, Eschew Materials, Twin Spell
Flaws: Pathetic (Strength), Pathetic (Dexterity)
Traits: Honest, Spellgifted (Necromancy)

Spell DCs (14+spell level + 1 if necromancy) Caster Level (0 + 5 if necromancy + 1 if cast meta in sanctum)
0th Acid Splash, Arcane Mark, Detect Poison
1st Chill Touch, Chill Touch, Chill Touch
2nd Command Undead, Sanctum Fell Animate Acid Splash
Spell-like Abilities (caster level 20)
1/day Detect Magic, Disguise Self, Magic Aura, Read Magic
Spell DC (18+spell level + 1 if necromancy) Caster Level (18 + 5 if necromancy + 1 if cast meta in sanctum)
1st 8 Cure Light Wounds, Detect Magic, Detect Undead, Inflict Light Wounds, Summon Undead I,
Undetectable Alignment
2nd 8 Command Undead, Cure Moderate Wounds, Desecrate, Gentle Repose, Ghoul’s Touch, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Scare, Spectral Hand, Summon Undead II, Sanctum Fell Animate Acid Splash
3rd 8 Cure Serious Wounds, Ray of Exhaustion, Speak with Dead
4th 8 Animate Dead, Bestow Curse, Death Ward, Dispel Magic, Enervation,
Inflict Critical Wounds, Summon Undead IV
5th 7 Cloudkill, Greater Dispel Magic, Mass Inflict Light Wounds, Oath of Blood, Slay Living, Summon Undead V
6th 7 Animate Dread Warrior, Create Undead, Geas/Quest, Harm, Mass Inflict Moderate Wounds
7th 7 Control Undead, Destruction, Finger of Death, Mass Inflict Serious Wounds
8th 7 Create Greater Undead, Horrid Wilting, Mass Inflict Critical Wounds, Symbol of Death
9th 4 Imprison Soul, Mass Harm, Plague of Undeath, Wail of the Bannshee

Hmm, I'll give this one a go. Should be fairly easy. Only problem is exact numbers for power level, but I'll probably just do the lowest possible.

Asta Kask
2010-02-13, 04:07 PM
So long as it's understood that a character that cannot closely approximate the abilities of a Dark Speech-using Hexblade/Binder does not fit into my concept of a 'conversion', as the one who made the request.

Vancean magic can be done - there's examples in GURPS Fantasy, but it's a pretty ugly build.

Hmm... how do you do a conversion of your basic Wizard-12/Lich to GURPS?

I mean, the whole unkillable arcane caster bit seems like it'd be tricky.

Unkillable advantage granted by a gadget (the phylactery).

OldTrees
2010-02-13, 04:13 PM
Hmm, I'll give this one a go. Should be fairly easy. Only problem is exact numbers for power level, but I'll probably just do the lowest possible.

Thank you. The number of undead per level would be a minimum value to strive for. A lower level equivalent that gets the same or greater ratio is prefered.

Satyr
2010-02-13, 04:43 PM
What's the obsession with undead builds in this thread? Seriously, it has become a tad repetitive.

mm... how do you do a conversion of your basic Wizard-12/Lich to GURPS?

lazy half-assed method:

Wizard Template from DF [250 CP]
plus Lich template from Fantasy [105]
3 or 5 power-up lenses [150 - 250 CP]
For fun's sake one or two multiclass lenses [50 - 100 CP] to create an undead wizard warrior king (why warrior? I don't know. Because our undead monarch looks better in fullplate and with a large sceptre/mace)
unkillable with a gadget power modifier [100 CP x mod] for the Phylcatery
A few dozen extra spells [50 CP]
A hord of brainless zombies and skelettons as allies [~25 CP]
One or two neat little afflictions to torture and humiliate ones foes [~ 50 CP]

makes at worst something like a 1000 CP absolute monster which might be a tad too much, depending on the campaign and style - and on the size of the horde. Because this is basically adding up templates, the creation would be brainless and take up to 15 minutes or so with the Character Assistant.

Vancean magic can be done - there's examples in GURPS Fantasy, but it's a pretty ugly build.

It's not that ugly. For Vancian spellcasting at least. Modular Abilities (Super Memorization) with the spells only limitation exactly does this. I usually don't bother, because I don't like Vancian spellcasting, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Volkov
2010-02-13, 05:29 PM
Tzeentch. Nothing else needs to be said.

Satyr
2010-02-13, 05:39 PM
You want me to write up an invincible god of Chaos?

What about
Modular Abilites: Cosmic Powers, infinite level: Bam! You're dead (Cosmic, all, +250%, drawback: chaotic shuffle, -50%) [infinite x20]

That said, i have somewhere a writep of good old Arioch, for those who like the original chaos gods...

Volkov
2010-02-13, 05:39 PM
You want me to write up an invincible god of Chaos?

What about
Modular Abilites: Cosmic Powers, infinite level: Bam! You're dead (Cosmic, all, +250%, drawback: chaotic shuffle, -50%) [infinite x20]

That said, i have somewhere a writep of good old Arioch, for those who like the original chaos gods...

He's not invulnerable, otherwise the C'tan wouldn't even bother in their quest. End all life, or cut off the emotions that feed him, and he withers and dies. Or simply separate the warp and the material world.

Satyr
2010-02-13, 05:48 PM
Certainly, but you should consider 3 things:
I don't like building extra powerful invincilbe/nigh invincible entities. It''s tedious, you never need their stats in a campaign anyway and kills the falvour by pressing it in a form.
I also don't care about warhammer. I know enough about it to recognize the most names and concepts (mostly from the hour or so I played Dawn of War before it started to bore me) and I honestly don't want to read up on this creature to make a detailed writeup.
And finally, gods are rarely characters, they are plot devices. If they appear, it shouldn't really matter if they have 224 attacks per second or only 119. IF this plays a role, you are doing something wrong, namely using gods or something like that to bully your player's characters.

chaosgirl
2010-02-13, 05:50 PM
Mahasamatman (from lord of light)

Do you mean "give me a fictional character you want to see" or "give me a character you want to play"

Satyr
2010-02-13, 06:06 PM
Mahasamatman (from lord of light)

I think I already mentioned it, I haven't read anything by Zelazny, which makes it kinda hard to write up the character. If you can collect a vita and profile, I can give it a shot, but I am not sure how close it comes to the original material.

Do you mean "give me a fictional character you want to see" or "give me a character you want to play"

Yes. as long as it makes remotely sense to stat it up or is impolite because it concerns the political or religious feelings of other people or includes real life persons who are still alive, I would do both. So no stats for Nyarlathotep, Margaret Thatcher or John Paul II.

And if possible, not more undeads.

JellyPooga
2010-02-13, 06:21 PM
Certainly, but you should consider 3 things:
I don't like building extra powerful invincilbe/nigh invincible entities. It''s tedious, you never need their stats in a campaign anyway and kills the falvour by pressing it in a form.
I also don't care about warhammer.

Although you've mentioned this, the poster that suggested Tzeentch (apart from making me think "ummm...no, that's silly") inspired me to suggest the following:

Daemons of Chaos (from the Warhammer world)...personally I'd like to see a Lord of Change, Keeper of Secrets (both Greater Daemons), Pink (and Blue, obviously) Horrors (because they present a particularly interesting problem with the whole 'splitting' thing), Discs of Tzeentch and Fiends and Steeds of Slaanesh (because they're weird).

Although if you're really that opposed to doing the whole warhammer thing, don't bother...it's only a mild curiosity on my part.

Satyr
2010-02-13, 06:32 PM
Let's just put it that way:
I have no idea what you are talking about, apart from "It's demons, and its Warhammer 40k related." I fear that's a bit to vague to build a build on.

But if you like, I can write up one of my favorite demons... either Nebis (okay, he's technically a horror, from Earthdawn) or Duglum the Bringer of Pestilences (from the Dark Eye) ot one of the D&D hierarchy of devils or demons.

Asta Kask
2010-02-13, 06:34 PM
It's not that ugly. For Vancian spellcasting at least. Modular Abilities (Super Memorization) with the spells only limitation exactly does this.

You also need the One Use Only limitation for the forget part of fire-and-forget spells.

Satyr
2010-02-13, 06:44 PM
When I have a power, adding a modifier to it is pretty common aand a part of the overall write-up. Yes, it takes an additional step, but who uses vanilla powers anyway?

Mewtarthio
2010-02-13, 07:24 PM
Supervillain: The Panopticonquistador

He has the power to read minds: Primarily surface thoughts, though he can look deeper and read memories and the like if he concentrates strongly on a target. Additionally, he can enter a trance and look through any active video camera in the world (including CCTV) and project his powers through it. In this state, his perception of time slows to a crawl (say, 1/10th normal speed).

Panopticonquistador is thoroughly convinced that he is the ruler of the world, and nothing, not even the fact that he can clearly mind-read that nobody's heard of him, will convince him otherwise (indeed, that only confirms his self-appointed title of "Master of Subtleties"). He uses his powers to ferret out "disloyalty," though he has some fairly odd ideas about the term. Notably, he "humors" politicians and other prominent political figures, but he is wary of anyone he deems an "anarchist," running the gamut from actual terrorists to grassroots reformers to random people who happened to think the wrong thing at the wrong time.

He never leaves his lair, leaving outside matters to his "secret police," a team of fifty-odd supervillains, each one kept in line by the fear that all the others are fanatics who would happily kill at the first sign of hesitance. They perform their master's dirty work, mostly with petty acts of vandalism and cryptic threats (Panopticonquistador himself rarely follows up on his messages, subscribing to the "quantity over quality" theory of ruling with an iron fist). Individually, they are little more than colorful thugs, but they can be a threat in groups. For reference, a group of around four could give a Daredevil-tier crimefighter a decent fight.

As far as combat goes, Panopticonquistador keeps a decent number of secret police on hand as bodyguards at any given time. He personally has little in the way of combat prowess (he can fire a handgun fairly well, but has no offensive abilities), and if confronted will simply have his bodyguards cover him as he tries to withdraw.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-13, 07:38 PM
1) Harry: Flying Spiked Chain Warrior who can gain a fire shield effect (like the spell but no SR: so fire reist + attack me take damage) whjo can make weapons on fire, deal Con damage with a swing, and basically bashes enemies.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=111999

2) Malfrex, the Shadow lord:
Young adult girl who can summon undead minions (like Shadows), and cause Str penalty and other debuffs (and some buffs).

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=164685

3) Bladex:
A fire (immune to fire, creates fire) Fey creature that acts like a warrior (Rapier weilding). Can sneak attack, stun, ignore concealment, deal mental damage, and Iron Heart Surge any debilatating effects.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=107762

Myou
2010-02-13, 07:40 PM
Inspired by a few things I half-remember from the book of vile erotica or whatever the name was, combined with the desire to come up with something wierd, a guy who can give other men (but not women) an orgasm whenever he touches them, and who gains stacking temporary strength and health boosts each time he does so, like some sort of gay-love Hulk. :smallbiggrin:

Volkov
2010-02-13, 07:54 PM
Try Demogorgon and the Balrog of Moria.

Tinydwarfman
2010-02-13, 09:55 PM
Not very fleshed out, but unfortunately I won't have access to internet for the next few days, so here is a rough draft!

Name: Morris

Attributes [456]
ST 7 [-30]
DX 7 [-60]
IQ 14 [80]
HT 10

HP 100 [186]
Will 16 [10]
Per 14
FP 100 [270]

Basic Lift 9.8
Damage 1d-3/1d-2

Basic Speed 4.25
Basic Move 4

Ground Move 4

Social Background
TL: 3 [0]

Advantages [810]
Ally (Necromancers) (50% of starting points) (12 or less; Group Size (50¸001-10¸0000); Special Abilities) [180]
Ally (Skeletons) (25% of starting points) (15 or less; Group Size (50¸001-10¸0000); Minion (+1)) [90]
Ally (Zombies) (25% of starting points) (Constantly; Group Size (500¸001-1¸000¸000+1); Minion (+1)) [152]
Charisma (4) [20]
Damage Resistance (4) (Limited Defense: Common (Magic, Crushing)) [12]
Injury Tolerance (No Blood; Unliving) [25]
Magery (14) [140]
Magery (Necromancy) (3) (Necromancy College Only) [18]
Magery 0 [5]
Social Regard (Feared) (4) [20]
Status (7) [35]
Unkillable (3) (Gadget/Unique) [113]

Disadvantages [-45]
Obsession (Combine Black and White Necromancy) (Long-Term Goal) (12 or less) [-10]
Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]
Social Stigma (Dead) [-20]
Vow (Cannot Lie) (Major) [-10]

Quirks [-1]
Obsessed with Fairness [-1]

Spells [54]
Air (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Animal (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Body (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+14 28 [8]
Communicate (Verb) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Control (Verb) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Create (Verb) IQ/VH - IQ+14 28 [8]
Earth (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Fire (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Food (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Heal (Verb) IQ/VH - IQ+13 27 [4]
Image (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+13 27 [4]
Light (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Magic (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+13 27 [4]
Mind (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Move (Verb) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Plant (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Protect (Verb) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Sense (Verb) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Sound (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Spirit (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+14 28 [8]
Strengthen (Verb) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Transform (Verb) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Water (Noun) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]
Weaken (Verb) IQ/VH - IQ+11 25 [1]

Stats [456] Ads [810] Disads [-45] Quirks [-1] Skills [0] Spells [54] = Total [1274]

OldTrees
2010-02-13, 10:14 PM
Not very fleshed out, but unfortunately I won't have access to internet for the next few days, so here is a rough draft!

Thank you.

Satyr
2010-02-15, 11:31 AM
Thane of Fife's Aleena

For this character I wnt into another direction than I usuall do and tried to made her as low powered as I could. A Dungeon Fantasy 250 CP compatible version would be no problem, but I like building something simple from time to time.

CP: 150 This is the assumed standard sum of CP for a 'realisitic' campaign. Itried to make the character realisitc, and thus it is based on very gritty, realistic rules as well, but for fun and giggles, elements from Martial Arts were included; basically this character in this form would suit well into a low fantasy campaign setting like Westeros, or even a historical medieval campaign.

Abilities:
ST 11 [10] DX 11 [20] IQ 10 [0]HT 12 [20]
Size 0 [0] HP 12 [2] Will 12 [10] Perception 10 [0] FP 13 [3]
Basic Speed 6.00 [5] Move 6
So, Aleena is quite strong for a woman, well trained overall and has a good stamina and fortitude. The comparatively high level in will indicates a head-strong and determined pesonality.

Advantages:
Combat Reflexes [15]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Fit [5]
Rapid Healing [5]
Languages: Mothertongue (Native)
Cultural Familiarity: Setting
Combat Reflexes describes the difference between a combatant an a non-combatant, and as hardened mercenary, she probably has this edge over the simple levy. Fittness is a similar result of the life on campaign and the high pain threshold and rapid healing emphasize the battle-hardened nature of this character. Basically, this is a veteran with some battlefield and campaigning experience - keeping in mind that she survived a desaster that pretty much whiped out a unit of soldiers, this toughness is to be expected.

Perks:
Style Familiarity: halberd fighting [1]
Form Mastery: Halberd [1]
Grip Mastery: Halberd [1]
The style familiarity represents the basic training and assessment of polearm fighting, especially with the aforementioned halberd (this style would be similar to the Swiss halberd fighting, which is still trained by the Swiss Guard of the Vatican). The Grip Mastery and Form Mastery allows for a more flexible and adpatable use of such a weapon, including reach shifts and different techniques (namely polearm fighting and staff fighting).

Disadvantages:
Apperance: unattractive [-4]
Code of Honor (Soldier) [-10]
Curiosity (12-) [-5]
Greed (15-) [-7]
Sense of Duty (Comrades) [-5]
Social Stigma (second class citizen) [-5]
In one of the chracter sheets, Allena had a below average attractiveness, and thus she also has this trait here.
The code of honor and sense of duty are a result of living among a highly martial subsociety and sponging their ideals and morals. As a mercenary, greed seems to be a good mtivation, but in this case it is not a very distinctive trait, thus the high control number (that's the "15-": It's the target number of roll to indicate if the character acts out this trait). Curiosity seems likely in a character who left the security and comfort of home to become an adventurer, and the social stigma is indeed debatable, but under the premise of a somewhat realistic low fantasy campaign, a woman, especially a low born woman bearing arms is very likely to be treated with a distinct amout of prejudices.

Quirks
5 unknown quirks [-5]
The character descriptions doesn't include many hints on character traits, but probably Aleena does have a personality.

Skills
Animal Handling (equines) 10 [2]
Area Knowledge (setting) 10 [1]
Artillery (catapults) 10 [2]
Brawling 12 [2]
Carousing 12 [2]
Climbing 11 [2]
Cooking (Baking) 12 [2]
Crossbow 13 [4]
Fast Draw (sword) 12 [1]
First Aid (humans) 10 [1]
Gesture 10 [2]
Heraldry 9 [1]
Hiking 12 [2]
Hobby1 10 [1] or 13 [1]
Housekeeping 10 [1]
Knife 12 [2]
Naturalist 9 [2]
Navigation (Land) 9 [1]
Polearm 14 [12]
Riding (Equines) 10 [1]
Savoir Faire (Military) 11 [2]
Savoir Faire (Servant) 10 [1]
Shield (Shield) 12 [2]
Shortsword 13 [8]
Soldier 11 [4]
Spear 11 [2]
Staff 14 [12]
Stealth 10 [1]
Survival (woodlands) 10 [1]
Swimming 12 [1]
Tactics 10 [4]
Teamster (equines) 9 [1]

Most of the skills are the result of Aleena being a competent warrior, with very decent combat skills - especially when wielding a halberd, which she can also use alternatively like a staff. Other skills - like housekeeping or cooking are a result of her upbringing in a family of bakers.

As a weapon, I would go for a duelling halberd, going for a trip (with the staff skill) and kill combo (with the halberd's blade) - this would very well with an all-out attack.

CP:
Attributes: 70
Advantages: 35
Perks: 3
Disadvantages: -36
Skills: 83
Total: 150

Again, this a more or less low power take on the character, and it is not very optimised; you could probably create a powergaming high power version of the same character just as easily, but I liked it this way a bit better.

Starbuck_II's Malfrex
As a little sidenote, by now I only make one character per player, as long as I haven't made any character for someone else; this is just my feeling of fairness, or something like that. So if you post several character sugestions, I pick the one which is the most developed personality and depth, because, frankly, that's more important to me and it is much harder to develop a personality-free character in Gurps than in most other systems; I would have to leave out some aspects or use placeholders for personality traits, and this is not really fun. That said, this character actually has a laid-out personality and character traits and I greatly enjoyed to build it.

CP: 330 Again, I use Dungeon Fantasy as a base for D&D characters; as this character is more experienced, she has more than the usual 250 CP of a beginning DF character to represent the additional experience.

Abilities:
ST 10 [0] DX 13 [60] IQ 13 [60] HT 11 [10]
Size 0 [0] HP 13 [6] Will 14 [5] Perception 12 [-5] FP 14 [9]
Malfex is quick in mind and body, but not overtly strong. She doesn't seem to have a such high awareness of her environment, but it is still above average.

Advantages:
Allies: Shadow Creatures and undead minions (50% CP base; frequency 12- (x2), Group Size 6 -10 (x6), Minion (+50%), Summonable (+100%) [60]
Appearance: Beautiful [12]
Charisma +2 [10]
Clerical Investment [5]
Religious Rank 1 [5]
Contact Group (home temple; frequency 9-, effective skill 12, somewhat reliable) [5]
Higher Purpose: Protect Amphibians +2 [10]
Power Investiture (Wastri) 3 [30]
True Faith (Turning, +65%) [25]
Languages: Common (Native), Draconic (accented) [4]
The most powerful trait of the character is the ability to summon or maintain a small group of actually quite powerful undead minions and living shadows to do her biddings. Malfrex is also an ordained priest with at least a minor rank in her cult, maintains a cordial relation to the temple where she grew up, and is strong in her faith and her willingness to protect poor, helpless amphibians. Her worship of wastri allows her to cast spells, and to channel her faith to keep malign supernatural creatures away from her.

Perks:
Shtick: Nothing to conceal [1]
This is the equivalent to looks good in uniform, but relates to revelaing, or skintight clothing.

Disadvantages:
Bloodthirsty (12-) [-10]
Disciplines of Faith (Ritualism) [-5]
Enemy: Gorflen the Illusionist (equal in power, hunter, frequent appearance (9-) [-10]
Greed (15-) [-7]
Impulsiveness (12-) [-10]
Thallassophobia (fear of oceans / great expanses of water) (12-) [-10]
Sense of Duty (adventuring companions) [-5]
Sense of Duty (coreligionists and amphibians) [-10]

Yet again, Bloodthirst, Greed and the sense of duty for adventuring companions are a resul of the genre conventions for D&D characters; in this case, the greed is not very important to the character (she has a different motivation), but the rest applies as usual. The other Sense of Duty and the disciplines of faith are a result of the religious ordination and the feeling of obligation against both the cults and its holy animals. The impulsiveness and the phobia are classic personality traits, and are intrinsically motivated, and the enemy appears in the character's background story.

Quirks
Chauvinistic (believes in human superiority[-1]
Fascinated by the Dead [-1]
Habit: Fond of Smiling [-1]
Incompetence (Swimming) [-1]
Thinks that her Shdow creature minions are cute [-1]
I actually had though to treat the first quirk as a mild delusion, but I think it is less restrictive and more fun to play this way. The incompetence is a result of the pralyzing fear of water.

Skills
Animal Handling (amphibians) 13 [2]
Area Knowledge (setting) 13 [1]
Bow 14 [8]
Climbing 12 [1]
Exorcism 15 [4]
Fast Draw (arrow) 13 [1]
First Aid (humans) 13 [1]
Gesture 13 [2]
Hidden Lore (Undead Lore) 14 [4]
Hiking 11 [2]
Hobby 13 [1]
Knife 13 [1]
Meditation 14 [2]
Naturalist 12 [2]
Polearm 14 [4]
Public Speaking 12 [1]
Religious Ritual (Wastri) 12 [2]
Riding (Equines) 10 [1]
Ritual Magic (Wastri) 16 [4] (+3 through Power Investiture)
Research 12 [1]
Savoir Faire (High Society) 13 [1]
Staff 14 [4]
Stealth 12 [1]
Symbol Drawing 13 [4]
Teaching 12 [1]
Thaumatology 12 [4]
Theology (Wastri) 14 [8]
Writing 12 [1]

The skills represent both a traditional clerical education focused on theology, ceremonies and the like, but also include a few elements from an adventurer life and magical skills.

Spells:
Just to do something else than the standrd magic build, this form of clerical magic is based onRitual magic. It has one unique path - the path of Wastri which defaults to the Ritual Magic (Wastri) skill, and includes several invocations of the Great Toad, which includes a coloful mixture of water and necromancy spells. All paths benefit from the power investiture advantage.
Path of Body Control 15 [4]
Path of Gate 14 [2]
Path of Light and Darkness 15 [4]
Path of Meta- Spells 14 [2]
Path of Mind Control 15 [4]
Path of Wastri 16 [8]

CP:
Attributes: 145
Advantages: 161
Disadvantages: -67
Skills: 69
Spells: 24
Total: 330

warmachine
2010-02-15, 11:42 AM
Any character? The Big Daddy you play in Bioshock 2, a number of plasmids and gene tonics as templates and a Little Sister.

Tengu_temp
2010-02-15, 12:16 PM
If a custom vehicle is an important part of a character's profile, will you stat it out as well?

Satyr
2010-02-15, 12:46 PM
That depends on how interesting the vehicle is to build. A typical James Bond car is probably fun. A standard car is just that, it doesn't need that much of a write up.

Tengu_temp
2010-02-15, 12:57 PM
Don't worry, it will be very far away from boring and generic vehicles.

Satyr
2010-02-15, 01:14 PM
Great. Now you have scared me.

Thane of Fife
2010-02-15, 03:24 PM
Very nice, Satyr.

Now I have the desire to go look deeper into GURPS.

deuxhero
2010-02-17, 01:26 PM
Do Raidou Kuzunoha the 14th.

Knaight
2010-02-17, 02:41 PM
Alright, imminent wall of text. Old Fudge NPC, recurring pseudo-villain. She should be very difficult to take down, particularly permanently, escape should be easier.
The Servant
Needed materials-Mechanics that allow for the creation and command for the Servant, mechanics for the mercury pool, mechanics for the weaponry, and of course the character.
General Physiology
The Servant is a bound spirit, commanded and created by a mage. She is capable of complete possession, and altering the physical body of those possessed quickly, favoring a small, fast form. The servant is intelligent, and somewhat ruthless, but makes friends easily and will attempt to circumvent orders from the mage to kill any friends made(a law skill might be a good idea here). In GURPS terms, the typical physical form is probably Strength 9, Agility 12, Toughness 7, Intelligence 13, the spiritual form moves quickly but has no ability to do anything other than move around. As for skills, the Servant isn't very knowledgeable about the world, but is a very talented swordsman. Any flaws that cover naivette are probably applicable.
The Mercury Pool
The Servant derives her power from a pool of mercury. The mercury pool can store magic fairly well, and the servant usually brings a flask full of the stuff, using it to power magical abilities. As a rule she throws around lightning and fire, but will use more intelligent tactics if fighting someone she particularly disliked. The mercury itself can be recharged, or used as a material, which provides far more powerful magic than simply draining it, and is likely to be suicidal to the physical body. The mercury pool slowly generates mercury on it's own. The servant needs a limited amount of empowered mercury around in order to make a possession attempt, or modify a body. To use D&D psionics as a comparison, a liter of mercury would probably end up storing about 300 power points, of which maybe 9 can be used at any given time, but burning a liter of mercury itself is closer to 1000, of which about 35 can be used at any given time.
Weaponry
The Servant uses one main weapon, an arming sword made of whale bone and strengthened with magic from mercury, which is somehow attached. It is marginally faster than most swords, but doesn't deal with armor particularly well. The Servant can also detonate the sword through the mercury on it, but is loath to do so. This weapon needs to not be too powerful for typical, medium fantasy PCs. Exceptional traits is that it is really difficult to destroy, unless one uses the magic in the mercury for another purpose.

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-17, 03:27 PM
What do you feel about godly characters with broad but not omnipotent powers? Because there's this one freeform character I play who'd be funny to stat out, I think...

Satyr
2010-02-21, 08:13 AM
What do you feel about godly characters with broad but not omnipotent powers? Because there's this one freeform character I play who'd be funny to stat out, I think...

I play in a Gurps campaign where the characters are Greek gods in the modern age. My character is Marcus (he liked the Romans more than the Greeks and thus prefer his Latin name), so yeah, that works actually quite good in a Gurps campaign.

For the rest of the characters, they are in the works, but I had something else to do in my free time in the last days (organising my birthday party and all that) and currently have a hangover which makes me wish that I am dead, so it might take a few days before the rest is comming.

Project_Mayhem
2010-02-21, 02:32 PM
I'd be interested to see what you make of Jin, Mugen and Fuu from Samurai Champloo. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you hunt it down, as it's very good.

In DnD I'd go with a Warblade, Swordsage, and Rogue, respectively

Morty
2010-03-11, 11:58 AM
A bit late, but I have a set of abilities, rather than a whole character, that I'd like to see done in GURPS. Namely, how would you represent a character's ability to invoke sudden bursts of strength, fortitude and speed for a limited amount of time? Such ability should be tiresome or have otherwise restricted availability. Another ability I'd like to see is an innate, sixth-sense type ability to fight with increased efficiency against a certain type of enemies - in this case, demons and other otherworldy beings. Both are meant to fit a lower-powered game.

Ormur
2010-03-11, 12:33 PM
I'm not very familiar with GURPS so I was thinking of submitting a rather more mundane character. No strange supernatural powers or anything.

What about Locke Lamora, a ridiculously successful and lucky con-artist and a dimplomancer that's nevertheless quite squishy and within the bounds of what a real human could do. And perhaps his companion Jean too, the bookish bruiser that's well trained enough to win most fights?

Satyr
2010-03-11, 02:53 PM
Damn, I forgot about this.

So, one quick answer for inbetween:

Namely, how would you represent a character's ability to invoke sudden bursts of strength, fortitude and speed for a limited amount of time?

There is a specific advantage that does exactly this, called heroic feats. It is usually limited by game sessions, but ou could likewise apply a fatigue cost instead. It's a 10 CP trait, so it should work in almost every power level.
Alternatively and a bit more complicated would be a kind of limited alternative for or self-imposed affliction, but Heroic Feats is the simplest solution.

Another ability I'd like to see is an innate, sixth-sense type ability to fight with increased efficiency against a certain type of enemies - in this case, demons and other otherworldy beings. Both are meant to fit a lower-powered game.

Something like the favorite enemy trait? I would probably go with something simple like Higher Purpose (fight demons). Again, a low CP advantage, and something that is right in the book.

Hurlbut
2010-03-11, 03:52 PM
Just to keep these things in perspective: Give me any character, any character concept or idée fix, and I'll give you a Gurps conversion. I really don't care about the original system, but in the case of something a bit more obscure, explanations might be needed.Troll Shaman of WoW. Elemental magic, communicate with spirits, use totems as focus for buff spells.

Troll; large build (7 feet count right?) fast healing ability, going bersek speed up his actions.
Slightly stronger, more agile, same stamina, and slightly better wisdom than the average human. (or maybe this http://www.wowwiki.com/Race will help for comparison of attributes?).

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-11, 04:07 PM
I play in a Gurps campaign where the characters are Greek gods in the modern age. My character is Marcus (he liked the Romans more than the Greeks and thus prefer his Latin name), so yeah, that works actually quite good in a Gurps campaign.

Righto.

Faux, the Trickster

Physical appearance: While Faux can look however he wants to look, at the moment he prefers the form of a young anthropomorphic fox child. Male, but not particularly masculine, he has large ears, a large fluffy tail, and soft - and bright green - fur. He generally wears green jeans and nothing else, although his fur renders dressing for the sake modesty moot anyway.

Personality: Faux is a Trickster, and is in it for the lulz. He likes tricking people into doing things they wouldn't normally do, and enjoys dishing out gifts only to revoke them at just the wrong moment - or give them some disastrous drawback. While not malicious, as such, he is completely amoral and considers most beings to be beneath his notice.

He can, however, be surprisingly nice - and sometimes this is at least partially genuine, even, although it is entirely for his own amusement regardless.

One thing he has to keep in mind is the fact that the mind is but a plaything of the body. He's only nice because he takes on the form of a child. If he takes on another form his personality is likely to change drastically.

Abilities and Powers: Faux's main ability is shapeshifting. He can take on any mammalian form he can think of, including anthropomorphic animal forms - which he favours. He can also alter others, although it's not quite as easy as shapeshifting himself is. While his targets retain their minds while transformed, he does not - therefore, he never takes on the form of a lesser animal and always remains at least partially humanoid.

Faux can also teleport, craft illusions, and summon objects seemingly from thin air - he can't create things, but anything he needs is only a universe or two away anyway. He also has limited clairvoyance, and, while not needing to eat at all, he can consume absolutely anything, with no ill effects.

Faux is old. While he can figure things out remarkably quickly, he isn't quite as good with modern technology as he'd like people to believe he is.

...So, is this enough info?

Morty
2010-03-11, 04:14 PM
There is a specific advantage that does exactly this, called heroic feats. It is usually limited by game sessions, but ou could likewise apply a fatigue cost instead. It's a 10 CP trait, so it should work in almost every power level.
Alternatively and a bit more complicated would be a kind of limited alternative for or self-imposed affliction, but Heroic Feats is the simplest solution.

Hm. The burst of power I have in mind is a result of alchemical modification of the character - namely, injecting demon blood into his veins - but there's no problem in saying that the bonuses come from that rather than heroism. I'm curious about the alternative, though.

Something like the favorite enemy trait? I would probably go with something simple like Higher Purpose (fight demons). Again, a low CP advantage, and something that is right in the book.

Yes, I figured that this one wouldn't be much of a problem. A different flavor description would again be necessary, but again, it's not a problem.

Tengu_temp
2010-03-11, 04:45 PM
Damn, I forgot about this.

Same. I should post my request somewhere around the weekend.

Bucky
2010-03-11, 11:33 PM
Hm. The burst of power I have in mind is a result of alchemical modification of the character - namely, injecting demon blood into his veins - but there's no problem in saying that the bonuses come from that rather than heroism. I'm curious about the alternative, though.

Even better, since it probably has a (Requires Exotic Substance) or similar limitation.

Let's see Sergeant Schlock, from the Schlock Mercenary webcomic.

Dracons
2010-03-11, 11:40 PM
A GURPS version of Kain Highwind from FF4. Well, any type of Dragoon really. More based on Kain, but maybe with mixture of Freya from FF9.

Satyr
2010-03-12, 06:52 AM
Supervillain: The Panopticonquistador

He has the power to read minds: Primarily surface thoughts, though he can look deeper and read memories and the like if he concentrates strongly on a target. Additionally, he can enter a trance and look through any active video camera in the world (including CCTV) and project his powers through it. In this state, his perception of time slows to a crawl.

CP: 500 It's a villain for a superhero game, so to be any threat to a bunch of superhero PC's, the character need a wee bit of power for himself; the default for super games are 500 CP, and so the Panopticonquistador is about equal to a PC hero, even though he is a bit on the comic relief side of villainy. I also decided to make the character psionic, just to dabble around with a power talent.

Abilities:
ST 10 [0] DX 10 [60] IQ 13 [60] HT 10 [0]
Size 0 [0] HP 10 [0] Will 13 [0] Perception 11 [-10] FP 10 [0]
Basic Speed 6.00 [0] Move 6 (12)
The Panopticonquistador is quite smart, but otherwise very average.

Advantages:
Ally Group (Secret Police) (50% starting CP, availability 15-, Group Size 40-50) [60]
Altered Time Rate 3 (only when in trance, non-combat speed, psionic) [60]
Clairsentience (Accessabilty requires lots of telecommunication equipment, Clairvoyance, psionic) [30]
Compartmentalized Brain 2 (massively paralell, psionic, only when in trance) [80]
Mind Probe (invasive, psionic) [33]
Mind Reading (Psionics) [27]
Psionic Talent 4 [20]
Telesend (psionic) [27]
Wealth: Multimilionaire 1 [75]
Languages: Omnilingual [40]

Basically, the character's advantages fall in two categories: being filthy rich and have a hord of thugs at hand, andf being a nigh omniscient telepathic mastermind. The Panopticonquistador is no genius, but a very powerful telepath.

Perks:
Autotrance [1]
You wouldn't believe it - the character who could use most his powers while in a trance can actually enter a trance when he wants to do so!

Disadvantages:
Code of Honour (Super-Villains) [-5]
Severe Delusion ("I am the true ruler of the world) [-15]
Lecherousness (15-) [-7]
Megalomania [-10]
Overweight [-1]
Agoraphobia (Open Spaces) (12-) [-10]
Unfit [-5]

If you would live your whole life in a underground vault, you would develop agoraphobia as well. Plus, spending most time in front of tons of screens and in the minds of other people, you have little time to train, and thus the Panopticonquistador is a bit on the pudgy side. Finally, his code of honour as a true villain demands evil laugher from him, slow killing death traps and laying out his plans when he inevitably captures a hero. His lecherousness does no only guarantee that a bold heroine will be able to seduce him, but also that he spends quite some time watching people showering.

Quirks
He is basically the "White and Nerdy" version of a supervillain. He hs just lots of quirks. [-5]

Skills
Businessman! 10 [3]
Computers! 13 [24]
Detective! 10 [3]
Encyclopedist! [10]
Gun! 8 [6]
Science! 11 [6]
It's a supers campaign. Thus, Wildcard skills are pretty much mandatory.

CP:
Attributes: 50
Advantages: 457
Disadvantages: -48
Skills: 45

This is not a very serious take on the character and more on the humorous and chessy side of the story. You could probably build a more sinister 1984 omniscient Panopticonquistador, but I found the slighly silly one funnier.

The Servant is a bound spirit, commanded and created by a mage. She is capable of complete possession, and altering the physical body of those possessed quickly, favoring a small, fast form. The servant is intelligent, and somewhat ruthless, but makes friends easily and will attempt to circumvent orders from the mage to kill any friends made(a law skill might be a good idea here). In GURPS terms, the typical physical form is probably Strength 9, Agility 12, Toughness 7, Intelligence 13, the spiritual form moves quickly but has no ability to do anything other than move around. As for skills, the Servant isn't very knowledgeable about the world, but is a very talented swordsman. Any flaws that cover naivette are probably applicable.

The Mercury Spirit Sercant

CP: 525 This is a quite high amout of points, and should work fine for an antagonist of some influence in a usual powered high fantasy game.

Abilities:
ST 10 [0] DX 13 [60] IQ 13 [60] HT 11 [10]
Size 0 [0] HP 10 [0] Will 13 [0] Perception 13 [0] FP 11 [0]
Basic Speed 6.00 [0] Move 6 (12)
So, our spirit is quick in body and mind, but not extraordinary strong or resilient. It is quite fast though when it just moves in its insubstantial form.

Advantages:
Alternate Form: agile and small mutation of possessed bodies (Accessability: only on possessed bodies; can only be powered by Energy Reserve, costs fatigue (1), + 80 CP in point costs [84]
Charisma +2 [10]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Doesn't Breathe [20]
Doesn't Sleep [20]
Energy Reserve: Magical Mercury +10 (Gadget:Breakable DR 4, Size -8, can be stolen by stealth and trickery; slow recharge) [12]
Enhanced Dodge 1 [15]
Enhanced Move (groud) 1 [20]
Possession (can only be powered by Energy Reserve, costs Fatigue (1), Spiritual [70]
Ritual Magery 0 [5]
Ritual Magery 1 [10]
Signature Gear (magical Whale Bone and Mercury Sword) [25]
Unaging [15]
Weapon Master (thrusting Broadsword) [20]
Languages: Mothertongue (Native)
Many of the traits are a result of the spiritual being of the Servant - namely many of its resistances and its insubstantiability. The combat reflexes and enhanced dodge are a result of being a very agile being, the sword is an essential part of the character and the Servant is very deadly with it (thanks to the Weapon Master trait).
The alternative form of the possessed body maintains all its traits, but reduces size by one level, grants a +3 bonus to DX, a -1 penalty to ST, and the advantages Combat Reflexes and Enhanced Dodge 1.
The Sword is a thrusting broadsword of fine quality, fine balance and a one level accuracy enchantment.

Perks:
Weapon Bond (magical Whale Bone and Mercury Sword) [1]
The Servant is linked to the sword and is more accurate when it uses it.

Disadvantages:
Bloodlust (12-) [-10]
Dependency (magical mercury pool; rare, weekly) [-60]
Duty (bound to a wizard; extremely hazardous, involuntarily, 12-) [-25]
Sense of Duty (friends) [-5]

The Servant is ruthless, and bound to its source where it has to return to on a regular base. It is also enslaved by a wizard to do its bidings, but tries to make friends and protect them, if possible.

Quirks
Tries to manipulate given orders to prevent hurting friends [-10]

Skills
Acrobatics DX+0 [4]
Brawling DX+1 [2]
Broadsword DX+5 [20]
Fast Draw (Sword) DX+1 [1]
Fast Talk IQ-1 [1]
Gesture IQ [1]
Intimidation Will [2]
Savoir Faire (Servant) IQ [1]
Search Per-1 [1]
Stealth DX-1 [1]

I wrote the skills in the direct ability form, because they will often depend on the stats of the possessed body, and not on the Servant's stats themselves. Technically, this is only necessary for the physical traits, but I like to keep these things homogenous.
When it comes to a combat, the Servant has a skill level of 21(!) when it fights with its signature weapon and possesses and warps a body of average DX.

Spellcasting/Magic (all traits include +1 from Ritual Magery 1)
Ritual Magic IQ [4]
Path of Fire IQ [4]
Path of Air IQ [4]
Path of Movement IQ [4]

Again, I avoid the tedious listing of individual spells. The Servant has access to Fire and Air magic, and can both move itself or use telekinesis. Basic spells should work quite well, but the more advanced spells might be out of its grasp.

CP:
Attributes: 130
Advantages: 458
Disadvantages: -145
Quirks: -1
Skills&Spells: 48

This was a very fun build. There are several other ways to build the character and its powers, but I liked the idea to have basically an insubstantial gish spirit swashbuckler. All in all, this is a very interesting character concept to start with.

Knaight
2010-03-12, 08:32 AM
Works beautifully. Good old GURPS eh? And yeah, insubstantial gish spirit swashbuckler is about accurate as a blurb; 525 points is completely reasonable. Pretty awesome.

Satyr
2010-03-12, 08:34 AM
What about Locke Lamora, a ridiculously successful and lucky con-artist and a dimplomancer that's nevertheless quite squishy and within the bounds of what a real human could do. And perhaps his companion Jean too, the bookish bruiser that's well trained enough to win most fights?

Locke and Jean should be quite simple, using roguish advantages and skills (and hey, it's a book I know and love; there are several builds here which fail because I am not familiar with the source material). Locke obviously has an incredible talent for lying and deceiving and Jean is a quite competent, ambidextrous streetfighter.

Shapeshifting with an alternative form, and demon blood as a trigger limitation would work as well. The problem with this is, that basically every form of boost would be a form on its own, so a generous application of alternative power traits might be needed.
Alterntively, demon-blood induced boosts could be a modular ability with something like a a preparation required and trigger limitation, but that might be needlessly complicated.
Do you want something like "every demon brings a different power" or more like "With demon blood I can brew the ultimate doping"?

Alternatively, you can just use alchemy (which is a form of magic, and not a power) which is probably another very simple solution.

Troll Shaman of WoW. Elemental magic, communicate with spirits, use totems as focus for buff spells.

That should be no problem.

A GURPS version of Kain Highwind from FF4. Well, any type of Dragoon really. More based on Kain, but maybe with mixture of Freya from FF9.

Never played any Final Fantasy title, so I could come up with something shaky at best - a more generic polearm fighter specialised in Jumping attacks and poking things from above.

Morty
2010-03-12, 09:19 AM
Shapeshifting with an alternative form, and demon blood as a trigger limitation would work as well. The problem with this is, that basically every form of boost would be a form on its own, so a generous application of alternative power traits might be needed.
Alterntively, demon-blood induced boosts could be a modular ability with something like a a preparation required and trigger limitation, but that might be needlessly complicated.
Do you want something like "every demon brings a different power" or more like "With demon blood I can brew the ultimate doping"?

I should have been more precise: he's not injecting demon blood into his veins every time he uses it; he's had it injected once and it permanently allows his to use this ability and all the others.

Satyr
2010-03-12, 09:37 AM
That would work pretty well with Shapeshifting, I guess, with a limitation like costs fatigue" so that it becomes tiresome to maintain the augmented form or could have some kind of a cool down time with irritating side effects ("Sure, I can turn into a monstrous slayer with superhuman strength, but the mutation is excruciating.")

Partysan
2010-03-12, 09:40 AM
Alright, I'd like to submit a LARP character of mine who I wanted to convert for some time. I don't know 4th edition, so I can't do it by myself, and there is a catch in the character which I don't know how to convert.
I'd like him to use martial arts rules, since this is a lot of what he's about, and I'd like him to use as little points as possible.
Sorry for this being unneccessarily long and chaotic, but I know too much about him and his nation and have a hard time to restrict myself not to explain all of the land and religion and martial arts and...

His name is "Syrico Chathmaral Mòrdômacâr, Vel'dor of Kàzhdûm". The reason the name is so long lies in the fact, that in the nation of Khurzôn it is traditional for people to adopt a new name if they think a new part of their life begins.
His birth name is Syrico, which just means that he is the son of a woman named Syria.
Chathmaral is the name he adopted after an incident that involved him running into a burning house and coming out alive. It is dark elven and basically means "storm of fire".
Mòrdômacâr is high elven and a name he just kept after being called so by an elf he killed. It would translate as "warrior from the shadow". (Yes, that guy has a thing for cheesy names, a bit too much pathos sometimes.)
He originates from the nation of Khurzôn, a land reigned by 40 clans, each of which have a clan god, similar to a totem, all of them "united" under an emperor (who does not really meddle into the clan's affairs). Khurzôn has a system of a communistic theocracy, dividing the people into four castes, each of which is attributed to an element: the earth caste, consisting of peasants and craftsmen, the fire caste, consisting of warriors and the likes, the water caste, consisting of scholars and most of the mages, and the air caste, the caste of the administrators and nobles. A child is attributed to a caste by the priests in a sacred ritual, showing the talents of the child. After that it will be educated partly by parents or foster parents (same caste as the child) and the caste's institutions. At an age of 14-17 a second ritual will complete the process of education and make it an adult member of the clan. Before the second ritual, in some cases a child's caste can be changed.
The communistic part of the Khurzôn' society lies in the fact, that every clan member has the right of being allocated ressources fitting his caste, profession and rank, which inicludes basic food and housing for everyone and the tools needed for his trade, be it farming equipment or weapons. Better equipment or more luxurious food however must be purchased.
The pantheon of the Khurzôn consists of 20 anthropomorphic personifications and the 40 clan gods, of which only the own is revered, though the existance of all 40 (respectively 60) gods is seen as fact.
He himself was born a water caste member and educated to become an incantator (a ritualistic profession suited for persons with a magic bloodline who do not learn to cast spells themselves, instead they act as a magic conductor for rituals, using dance and song to let magic flow through their bodies and gather or distribute it according to the ritual). After the incident at the burning house, where his left arm was crippled and his left body side burned, so his left arm is still weakened and his left arm, leg and hip heavily scarred, he left the scholar caste and became a warrior, but still partly retained the mindset of a scholar, learning the use of a weapon by studying the moves, then practicing their form before applying them in practice fights.
He has managed to become a weapon master, which is the highest rank of a warrior that does not include a command. Since he does not see himself as a leader, but is more interested in the martial arts, he does not want to gain a higher rank, but rather be left alone.
At the moment he is located in the midlands (a standart fantasy region ruled by feudal lords), unable to return to his homeland. He does speak the language of the midlands fluently (as well as his own and dark elven, and he understands some high elven, too, as well as some ancient languages(he is talented at learning languages)), but he does not understand the mindset of the people living in the midlands. He is often confused by the way they live and are ruled, and consequently secludes himself from them, even more so, since his religion regards non-Khurzôn as lesser beings and potential enemies.
Concepts like marriage (unknown in Khurzôn) alienate him, he does not like horses (the scorpion clan uses riding saurians, though horses are known), and he hates the cool and wet weather of the midlands.
He loves his homeland and wants to return there, and he will consider any Khurzôn worlds higher than the midlanders. He will employ nearly all means to reach his goal, since he will not hurt any Khurzôn. Though he dislikes the midlanders as a whole, he will still like some of them more than others and occasionally even help them (hey, no one can live without company). He also will not openly show his disdain as not to provoke unneccessary trouble.
Mòrdômcâr is not tall for a warrior, about 174cm. His agility, strength and toughness are only slightly above average, but he is quite intelligent (his IQ might be between 130 and 140). He has long, dark hair and mostly wears red, since it is the colour of the fire caste. His standart attire is a red piece of cloth, reaching down to above the knees. It is open all the was down on the left side and is closed by leather straps, the arms being completely free. Under it he wears dark trousers and fine leather boots. His bastard sword is strapped to his back, while his belt holds a drinking bottle, a moneycat, and a knife. The sign of the scorpion (Kàzhdûm) is burned into the skin on the right side of his throat and appears on some of his clothes. He also wears a leather wristband with the sign on it.
He owns leather and even plate armor as well as a chaincoat (a chainskirt without arms, with straps to open and close it), but does not actually like wearing armor, prefering to fight in his cloth or only with light leather shoulders, bracers and leg protection. He does have a heavy shield as well.
He is proficient with most martial weapons, but his main weapon is the bastard sword, in which he consideres himself to be only one step before mastery.
He is also proficient in the lion, viper and scorpion martial styles (first being a hard striking style, also using claw grips to rip muscles and tendons and when using weapons, breaks enemy attacks by striking them form an angle, to push them aside and hit at the same time, second being a rather soft style with evasive footwork, pinpoint striking, footsweeps, fast grips and winding hand movements, using counters and, with a weapon, uses sliding parrys and blade winding to lead into counter attacks, and the last one being a close combat style with knee and ellbow attacks, a lot of counter blocks leading into submission grips to apply a finisher, when armed using mostly halfgrip techniques).
He knows how to read and write and can cook a bit, he also can sing (since he begun incantator training). He knows a lot about martial theory, also a bit about strategy and tactics. He knows some poetry as well, and is generally well-read, leading to some general knowledge.
Mòrdômacâr enjoys good food and drinking very much, and he consumes a lot of it (he dos not drink much alcohol, however). Most of the time he is calm and composed, even bordering into carelessness or lazyness. He often uses sarcasm. Though he understands and loves complex humor, he will mostly laugh about every cheap joke. While he does not tend to talk much to the people, he likes to discuss for hours with small groups of individuals he knows well or just likes somehow.
He is human and looks completely so, although he has some dark elven blood in him as well. However since he has great magical talent, but does not use it, nor want to, it sometimes boils up in himself. While normally it does only enhance his body by sharpening his reflexes and letting him heal slightly faster, he sometimes becomes captivated in a melody only he can hear, compelling him to do things (the burning house incident was one of them), but also (mostly) enabling him to do them.
This is mostly about using the rules elegantly to represent his martial arts and farspread skills without using a lot of points, I think.
PS: Warum mach ich mir eigentlich die Mühe, das ganze auf Englisch zu schreiben, wenn wir doch beide in Deutschland sitzen^^

Morty
2010-03-12, 09:58 AM
That would work pretty well with Shapeshifting, I guess, with a limitation like costs fatigue" so that it becomes tiresome to maintain the augmented form or could have some kind of a cool down time with irritating side effects ("Sure, I can turn into a monstrous slayer with superhuman strength, but the mutation is excruciating.")

Yes, that would work. I have some drawbacks in mind, for example that when he uses this ability, he's unable not to fight to kill. I like what I see in GURPS and I wanted to know how doable this particular concept is.

Hurlbut
2010-03-12, 12:28 PM
That should be no problem.
Thanks, I looked into trolls further, especially through Warcraft RPG books, they aren't large size or have large build so there's no need to give him that. They average 6 feet tall though, with some topping 7.
They have darkvision (60 feet). Swimming, survival, and hiding are natural skills for them with having a bonus to hide in jungle environment.

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-12, 02:02 PM
If possible, I'd like to see what a Beholder would look like in GURPS. Also (if there isn't too much of a queue already and it's possible), a Sith lord (like Count Dooku -> force lightning, physical enhancements, telekinesis, deception using savy and the Force) and General Grievious (basically a cyborg quad-lightsaber-wielding tactician general -> good enough to fight Jedi and lead armies into battle). Does the system allow 'techniques' of sorts? If so, some ability to emulate his spinny lightsaber whirldwind would be cool.

Edit: If at all possible, I would be most indebted if I could also get a rendition of how these characters (not the beholder, though) would start out in a basic 100 (plus flaws) point game. I may be joining a GURPS game to try it out again and want to make a reasonable facsimile without being too obvious.

Partysan
2010-03-12, 02:20 PM
Another, more silly thing I'd like to see was a race of magical cupcakes (or muffins, if you prefer those) that procreate by being eaten. When fully digested, they continue to exist as telepathic symbionts that aid the eater to become more powerful and a better baker, until he is capable of baking another row of magical cupcakes of different flavors. Then they die along with the host, to bring the magical sweeties to live, leaving only a corpse along with the best cupcakes he/she ever made...
While symbiotic the have psionic powers mostly consisting of telepathy and precognition, both of which they can choose to share with the host. If the host refuses to learn baking and research new flavors they will try to hinder or even mind control him. They also are delicious.

Penitent
2010-03-12, 02:49 PM
Vernax the Playful

Vernax is a powerful demon with powers over Stone (Manipulate into shapes, fly through stone as if air, ect) and the ability to call powerful creatures to do his bidding. He also has an assortment of area manipulations designed to attack enemies, and features many "demon" traits: see in darkness, teleportation, telepathy, flying.

When faced with an imminent challenge, he responds with area attacks that distract enemies or prevent them from attacking him such as clouds of smoke or creating stone walls, and then retreats to call creatures to help him retaliate.

In his spare time (which he has alot of, since he never sleeps) he builds elaborate dungeons and castles out of stone with his manipulation. It's very quick work, and he has become a master architect. And then he populates them with dangerous areas, like attacking tentacles or fog clouds, and an assortment of monsters that he calls in to guard the place/fight over it/whatever.

He then sets up elaborate clues as to hidden treasure inside the castle/dungeons, and this lures adventurers to demise. He then eats their souls, because some of the structures are seeded with a special rock that absorbs the souls of those die touching it. (Thamium or whatever, in D&D, but similar substances exist in other places.)

EDIT: Also wouldn't mind a pointer to a starting 200 points character with something to do, obviously this character wouldn't have all the same options or qualities, but it might be nice to see a starting place.

EDIT2: Those souls... He eats them and obtains the knowledge of those people before they were killed.

Satyr
2010-03-12, 05:35 PM
Faux, the Trickster

CP: 1165It's a very powerful creature, and thus should deserve a comfortable point polster. For the character creation, I have assumed a modern tech level and society and put Faux, the Trickster to a modern day setting. For a comparison, the Greek Gods campaign I mentioned used 1250 starting CP, so Faux would completely be able to play around the big boys. (

Abiliti111 es:
ST 10 [0] DX 13 [60] IQ 15 [60] HT 11 [10]
Size 0 [0] HP 10 [0] Will 13 [0] Perception 15 [0] FP 11 [0]
A very high intelligence and dexterity seems appropriate for a powerful trickster. Otherwise, the stats are quite average, but could easily adjusted through Faux' Morph power.

Advantages:
Affliction: Baleful Polymorph (Advantage alternative form, malediction, takes extra time 1) [34]
Appearance: Cute (handsome, unversal) [15]
Morph: mammal animals and anthropomorphic animals; drawback: when turning into an animal, must take animal intelligence [90 +135]
Illusion (mental, stigmata) [75]
Precongnition [25]
Snatcher (permanent, unpredictable) [300]
Unaging [15]
Warp (blind) [150]
Languages: Omnilingual [40]
Cultural Familiarity: Setting, but slightly anachronistic

The Morph ability allows to modify the template by shapeshifting in a 150 CP range, meaning that the character can add up traits with a total value of up to 150 (!) CP range. No matter which form he takes, he would probably remain cute anyway. The Snatcher ability grants the power to summon any item out of thin air, but if he fails the according IQ roll, he might get something different than what he originally intended. Hell, he could probably just summon anything and hope for a nice surprise. He can also teleport to any place he wants, create lifelike illusions in the minds of other people which could even hurt the affected people, and can turn other people into animals if they annoy him. He can also get a small glimpse at the future. (Small explanation: Clairsentience in Gurps terminology is the ability to see other places). He also understands and speaks any language, albeit with a slight and strange accent.

Perks:
Couldn't find one I liked for this build, but several minor could work well with different forms e.g. Fur for the Foxman body.

Disadvantages:
Callous [-5]
Curious (12-) [-5]
Impulsiveness (12-) [-10]
Trickster (9-) [-22]
Anachronism: TL-2 [-10]

Immortal tricksters doesn't seem to me like the epitome of common sense, so the Curious and Impulsive disads fit well, I guess. The character also doesn't care much for others when he is not in a childlike state, and, hey, he is a trickster, making the trickster trait mandatory. He is also not very comfortable with modern technology, especially electronical forms. As a rule of thumb, anything build after the 1960's is perhaps a bit too modern for Faux to feel comfortable with.

Quirks
Personality Change (when shapechanging) [-1]
Loves the color green [-1]
As his form indicates his personality, the personality changes are a given. And when a shapechanger that can take any form and coloration it wants, wears a green fur and clothes, it is safe to assume he likes the color.

Skills
Detective! IQ+0 [24]
Drive! DX-2 [6]
Encyclopedist! IQ+0 [24]
Explorer! Per-1 [12]
Fake! IQ+1 [36]
Fist! DX-2 [6]
Perform! IQ-2 [6]
Thief! DX+0 [24]
I thought that Wildcard skills might be appropriate for a campaign with a character like this; because of possible ability changes, the skills are listed in the relative, not the absolute levels.

CP:
Attributes: 160
Advantages: 919
Perks: 0
Disadvantages: -52
Quirks: -2
Skills: 138

This is basically the very core of the character, unmodified by any modifications through shapeshifting or other forms. Basically, the character can adjust 150 additional CP for fitting physical advantages and abilities. [/spoiler]

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-12, 05:57 PM
That is awesome, thank you. :smallbiggrin: I can't see anything wrong with it at all.

Now I kinda wish I could find a GURPS game in the 1200 CP range. :smallbiggrin:

deuxhero
2010-03-12, 06:21 PM
I'd like to see Raidou Kuzunoha the 14th (http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Raidou_Kuzunoha_the_XIV) (my avatar).

Raidou is competent swordsmen (though not exceptional without demons buffing him) with a (fairly weak without buffing) 6 shot revolver and excellent at avoiding attacks. As his title of Devil Summoner suggests, he can summon 2 demons at once to assist him in combat and detective work (Raidou also has some ammount of negoation skill, able to convince demons to assist him). Raidou works as a detective and protector of the capital. He is accompanied by Gouto-Douji, a black cat and reincarnated Raidou Kuzunoha the 1st that dispenses advice (Gouto can speak, but appears to mearly meow to non-summoners). Tech period is an alternate history 1920s.

Oh wait. Any character? Planescape's Lady of Pain :) (you said any..)

Satyr
2010-03-13, 08:54 AM
Troll Shaman of WoW. Elemental magic, communicate with spirits, use totems as focus for buff spells.

Hurlgak One-Eye
CP: 250I have to admit that I am not very familiar with WoW, so several traits are more like educated guesses than very accurate; the character is equal to a standard Dungeon Fantasy and uses the Path/Book system of ritualistic magic from Thaumatology (my favorite magic system in Gurps) because that works very well with shamanism. Besides, this is not a generic character, but a very specific, individual one; he is not just a troll shaman, he is Hurlgak.

Abilities:
ST 13 [27] DX 12 [40] IQ 13 [60] HT 12 [20]
Size 1 [0] HP 13 [0] Will 13 [0] Perception 13 [0] FP 14 [6]
Hurlgak is quite tall, even for a troll, easily towering over most ordinary humans. His large size grants him a -10% discount on his strength. Otherwise, he is strong, smart and quite agile.

Advantages:
Clerical Investment (Shaman) [5]
Eidetic Memory [5]
Oracle [15]
Regeneration (slow) [10]
Reputation (canny and honorable Shaman in the horde (well known;+2) [5]
Ritual Magery 0 [5]
Ritual Magery 2 [20]
Shamanic Ally: Riding Warthog (summonable, 12-) [8]
Status 1 [5]
Sharp Teeth [1]
Languages: Trollish (native), Orkish (Accented) [4], Common (Accented) [4]
Cultural Familiarity: Horde

As a shaman, Hurlgak is a competent spellcaster, and can see into the future when he performs an oracle ritual. As a shaman, he is a respected memeber of his culture, and as a troll, he also has a natural regeneration ability and very sharp tusks which he could use in a brawl. He also has a tame Warthog which is big and strong enough to act as a mount and his overall competence has earned him some prestige and respect among the Horde.

Perks
Air Jet [1]
Ignition [1]
As a master of elemental magic, Hurlgak can make minor elemental invocations without effort and create a small blast of wind or a flame whenever he wants.

Disadvantages:
Code of Honor (Horde) [-5]
Curious (12-) [-5]
Discipline of Faith (Ritualism) [-15]
Duty (to the horde, extremely hazardous, 6-) [-7]
Honesty (15-) [-5]
Intolerance (Demons and Demon Worshippers) [-5]
One Eye [-15]
Selfless (12-) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Horde) [-10]
Skinny [-5]
Trickster (12-) [-15]

Hurlgak is a generally nice person who cares a lot about his fellow hord members, and tries to make their world a better place. He is generally quite open-minded but has little tolerance for those who worship demons. He is also very thin for his size and has lost his left eye, which gave him his name. He also likes to outsmart his enemies and plays tricks and jokes on them and is sometimes too nosy for his own good.

Quirks
Broad-Minded [-1]
Calm and Serene [-1]
Congenial [-1]
Expression (overdone Troll accent) [-1]
Humble [-1]

Generally, Hurlgak is an easy-going tolerant troll who likes to hang around with others, and have a nice evening. He doesn't like to brag with his successes and is mostly quite calm.

Skills
Brawling 12 [2]
Carousing 12 [1]
Climbing 11 [1]
Dancing 11 [1]
Diagnosis (Trolls) 11 [1]
Exorcism 13 [4]
First Aid (Trolls) 13 [1]
Fishing 13 [1]
Herb Lore 12 [4]
Hidden Lore (Spirit Lore) 13 [2]
Hiking 11 [1]
Knife 12 [2]
Meditation 12 [2]
Musical Instrument (Drums) 11 [1]
Naturalist 14 [8]
Occultism 13 [2]
Physician (Trolls) 13 [2]
Poisons 12 [1]
Public Speaking 12 [1]
Religious Ritual (Shamanism) [12] [2]
Riding (Hogs) 12 [2]
Ritual Magic (Shamanism) 14 [4]
Savoir Faire (Horde) 13 [1]
Shield 12 [2]
Singing 12 [1]
Spear 12 [4]
Stealth 11 [1]
Surgery (Trolls) 10 [1]
Symbol Drawing (Shamanism) 15 [4]
Teaching 13 [2]
Thaumatology 14 [4]

Hurlgak's combat skills suffer from his lack of depth perception. Apart from his magic, he is also a comeptent physician and outdoorsman and he can brew concoctions and potions out of magical herbs. He can stand his ground in a fight, but this is not really his field of expertise (if you discount "charging on the back of an angry warthog").

Spells/Paths:
Path of Health 13 [2]
Path of Nature 13 [2]
Path of Spirits 15 [8]
Path of the Elements 14 [4]

Hurlgak is mostly a summoner, but he can also use nature and elemental magic and knows a few healing spells and rituals.

CP:
Attributes: 153
Advantages: 87
Disadvantages: -82
Skills&Spells: 95

The character is a competent spellcaster, but he does not depend on spellcasting to achieve anything and is competent enough when he can only use mundane means.

Partysan
2010-03-13, 11:43 AM
Curd the Crude (Curd Levyer)

Curd is an infiltrator and saboteur (and sometimes assassin) in a metropolis of a 19th century steampunk world. His unique and anachronistic style has given him a reputation of crazyness, but also effectivity.
Curd refuses to use guns or vehicles and instead concentrates on his own body, learning old styles of martial arts and practicing acrobatics. However he is no enemy of technology - he just uses it in his own way. Curd has built (or had himself built) a number of bodyenhancing external machines in form of gloves, bracers and boots, allowing him to run very fast and jump very high, climb buildings and similar things. Instead of using ranged weapons his gadgets allow him to make ranged melee attacks by using steam pressure to deliver a strike at short range or shooting small projectiles at the and of an extending arm movement, eg a punch or palm strike.
Curd has some skills useful for infiltrators like lockpicking, basic demolitions and disguise and similar. His way of fighting is a strange mixture of different styles, since he does not have a teacher but learns from old scriptures, practice and experience. He might use an acrobatic kicking style against several opponents on a roof and a boxing and gripping style in a backalley, or try to wrestle and submit someone he needs to capture alive. However, while he may be sufficiently proficient in several styles, he is far away from mastery in any of them. His successes in melee normally base on the fact, that it has become unusual to practice close combat at all.
In his free time, Curd more or less becomes a kind of dandy, following the strict belief that this should be the best way to attract women. He tends to overdress on many occasions and often tries to do conversation about seemingly "sophisticated issues" (wine, literature, theater, opera...) he learned or read about shortly before (to impress women), usually at the worst possible time.
The few people that get along with him, for the most part a team of five mechanics, lead by a young woman most unimpressed by his manners (but more so by his skills), an old ex-police officer who once employed him as private investigator and now likes to spend evenings together drinking and playing cards, only do so because his natural behaviour is in fact quite charming, a fact that he alone would never believe anyone.
Curd has made himself some enemies in the city, most of them heads of some business in town he either found out bad facts about, destroyed property of or otherwise got bad publicity. He also rivals with another spy in town, Ralph Heigh, who, in contrast, is more of a marksman and infiltrates by acting a businessman (and consequently thinks of Curd's methods as quite barbaric).

Well, you could see him as a heavily anime flavored mixture of a steampunk detective and batman...

Satyr
2010-03-13, 04:22 PM
If possible, I'd like to see what a Beholder would look like in GURPS.

Tiny Beholderkin

CP: 125This isn't a huge beholder, it is more a very small cousin of it, that shares most of the bigger ones powers, but are a lot smaller and significantly weaker. The 125CP margin was chosen to make the Tiny Beholderkin a viable option for a Dungeon Fantasy wizard's familiar.

Abilities:
ST 5 [-50] DX 13 [36] IQ 11 [20] HT 10 [0]
Size -4 [0] HP 8 [6] Will 11 [0] Perception 11 [0] FP 10 [0]
Basic Speed 6.00 [5] Move 6 (Air: 12)
The beholderkin is very small (about the size of a curled-up hedgehog), but due to its circular form it has slightly more mass than that. It is quite fast, but the cost of its DX is reduced by the fact that it doesn't have any fine manipulators. For its size, it is quite tough.

Advantages:
Acute Vision +5 [10]
Innate Attack: Burning 2d [10]
Enhanced Move (Air) 1 [20]
Enhanced Tracking 2 [10]
Extra Attack (innate Attack only) 1 [20]
Flight [40]
Infravision [10]
Injury Tolerance (no blood, no neck, no vitals) [15]
Mana Damper 1 (2' Cone, Switchable) [27]
Peripheral Vision [15]
Sharp Teeth [1]
Telekinesis 6 [30]
Languages: Common (native)

The beholderkin has very, very good eyes, and lots of them; it can focus several targets at once, has a very broad field of view, and can see reasonably well without any lightsource. It's other powers are a lot weaker than those of a true beholder, though; the cone of it's major eye makes it harder to cast spells, not impossible, and instead of several different spell-like powers, the beholderkin can only zap several targets with a burning ray from its peripheral eyes which it can do twice per round. It also has an innate Telekinesis power, which is not very strong but helps to replace the total lack of arms and the like.

Perks and Quirks
None. This is a little helper template, not a "real" character.

Disadvantages:
Dependency (Mana, constantly) [-50]
No manipulators [-50]
Social Stigma: Monster [-15]

As magical creatures, beholderkin require a magical atmosphere or start to suffer and fade away quickly. They also have no arms or legs. And no matter how small, if one looks like a beholder everybody will treat you like a monster.

Skills
Aerobatics 13 [4]
Brawling 13 [1]
Innate Attack (Gaze) 15 [4]
Search 12 [2]
Stealth 13 [2]

It's only a small ball of eyes; it should be expected that it can't do too much. effectively, it can look for things, zap things with its firy rays, and if nothing else helps, bite.

CP:
Attributes: 17
Advantages: 208
Perks: -
Disadvantages: -115
Quirks: -
Skills: 15

The tiny beholderkin is almost cute. Until it starts to zap things with its burning rays and starts to block enemy mages with its cone of mana-damping. as a familiar, it would also gain a mind link and special raport advantages, but also a Sense of Duty and Duty towards its mage asdisadvantages for an equal amount of points.

Edit: If at all possible, I would be most indebted if I could also get a rendition of how these characters (not the beholder, though) would start out in a basic 100 (plus flaws) point game. I may be joining a GURPS game to try it out again and want to make a reasonable facsimile without being too obvious.

Not every campaing in Gurps start with 100 CP; actually, the recommendation in the core book for "street level" campaings is 150 CP. Dungeon Fantasy, the "We can do anything D&D can with a few shoddy pdf's" variety of Gurps which I used a lot for these builds starts with 250 CP by default, or 300 CP for "Gestalt" or Veteran characters.

Satyr
2010-03-13, 06:25 PM
Alright, I'd like to submit a LARP character of mine who I wanted to convert for some time. I don't know 4th edition, so I can't do it by myself, and there is a catch in the character which I don't know how to convert.

Syrico Chathmaral Mòrdômacâr, Vel'dor of Kàzhdûm

CP: 325
This is a competent philosopher-warrior with some kind of expertise and both scholarly and military training and innate magical powers. That makes it somewhat mandatory to increase the power level a bit.

Abilities:
ST 9 [-10] DX 12 [40] IQ 14 [80] HT 12 [20]
Size 0 [0] HP 12 [6] Will 15 [5] Perception 13 [-5] FP 13 [3]
Syrico is quick, and relatively tough, but most importantly, he is smart. His crippling injuries from the past have weakened him, so that his default ST is quite low.

Advantages:
Arm ST (one Arm) 3 [9]
Eidetic Memory [5]
Enhanced Dodge 1 [15]
Enhanced Parry (Longsword) 1 [5]
Enhanced Time Sense (magic power) [41]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Language Talent [10]
Magic Powers 2 [10]
Modular Abilities: Book-Learned Wisdom (Skill 1 +2) [9]
Regeneration (slow, magical power) [9]
Weapon Master (Longsword) [20]
Languages: Khurzonian (native), Dark Elven (native) [4], Middle Lands Lingua (native) [4], High Elven (accented) [2], Old Tongue (accented) [2]
Cultural Familiarity: Khurzon [0]

Syrico's unburnt right arm is much stronger than his left one, or that his overall condition. He is smart and can remember remarkably well, and has a solid genaral knowledge (that's the modular abilty - a placeholder for any knowledge skilll you could need at one time). As a warrior, he has a solid condition and can cope with pain, and his magic powers grant him unhumanly quick reflexes and a slow regeneration power. He also has a knack for languages.

Perks
Armor Familiarity (Judo) [1]
Grip Mastery (Longsword) [1]
Skill Adaptation (Bind Weapon defaults to two-handed sword) [1]
Style Familiarities: Lion Style, Viper Style, Scorpion Style [3]

He can wrestle well enough when wearing armor, can easily switch between different grips when using his longsword and is familair with three martial styles (which were based on Tallhofer Fechte, Shotokan Karate and Tai Chi Chuan for the purpose of this write-up).

Disadvantages:
Bloodlust (12-) [-10]
Callous [-5]
Compulsive Carousing (12-) [-5]
Intolerance (Non-Kurzons) [-10]
Overconfidence [-5]
Phantom Voices (Diabolical) [-15]
Sense of Duty (Kurzon) [-10]
unattractive appearance (burn scars) [-4]

The character is ruthless and has little problems to kill other people but his own. And he hears voices and songs that edemand to burn houses with himself inside.

Quirks:
Dislikes Horses [-1]
Distinctive Feature (burn scars) [-1]
Habit: Wearing red clothes [-1]
Loves about every cheap joke [-1]
uncongenial [-1]

Skills
Acrobatics 11 [1]
Area Knowledge (Kurzon) 14 [1]
Armoury (Melee Weapons) 13 [1]
Axe/Mace 11 [1]
Body Language (Human) 12 [1]
Broadsword 16 [16]
Carousing 12 [1]
Climbing 11 [1]
Connoisseur (food) 13 [1]
Cooking 13 [1]
Fast-Draw (Sword) 13 [1]
First Aid (Human) 14 [1]
Hidden Lore (Lost Civilisations) 13 [1]
Hiking 11 [1]
Intimidation 14 [1]
Judo 14 [12]
Karate 14 [12]
Knife 12 [1]
Religious Ritual (Kurzon) 12 [1]
Research 13 [1]
Savoir Fair (Military) 14 [1]
Shield (Shield) 12 [1]
Singing 12 [1]
Spear 12 [2]
Strategy (Land) 12 [1]
Tactics 13 [2]
Theology (Kurzon) 12 [1]
Thrown Weapon (Knife) 13 [2]
Two-Handed Sword 16 [14]

The main focus of the character are on his swodmanship and his unarmed combat skills (Judo and Karate are the placeholders for "generic soft/hard martial arts).

Techniques:
Bind Weapon (Two-Handed Sword) 15 [3]
Counter Attack (Two-Handed Sword) 12 [2]
The chracter has also tons of additional techniques based on his three combat styles on default level, but I am not entirely bothering to list them here. There are thirty or so.

CP:
Attributes: 139
Advantages: 156
Perks: 7
Disadvantages: -64
Skills: 89

Syrico is a highly skilled veteran with a high degree of versatility of armed and unarmed techniques. He is mostly dangerous with his longsword, but is a formidable warrior without weapons as well.

Partysan
2010-03-13, 07:26 PM
Ah, well - I really like it. There is more or less everything in it I wanted to be there.
And I guess if needed I could tone it down to 250 points quite easily if I just skipped the enhanced time sense and maybe reduced IQ to 13 (including some skill meddling).
I guess I really should take a look at the 4th edition.
BTW: You wouldn't happen to live near Erlangen or Windsbach, would you?

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-13, 08:05 PM
Oooh! Oooh! Do Subject Zero (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Jack) from Mass Effect 2!

Hurlbut
2010-03-14, 03:17 AM
Hurlgak One-Eye
CP: 250I have to admit that I am not very familiar with WoW, so several traits are more like educated guesses than very accurate; the character is equal to a standard Dungeon Fantasy and uses the Path/Book system of ritualistic magic from Thaumatology (my favorite magic system in Gurps) because that works very well with shamanism. Besides, this is not a generic character, but a very specific, individual one; he is not just a troll shaman, he is Hurlgak.
Thank you for putting together him.

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-15, 07:15 AM
Tiny Beholderkin

CP: 125This isn't a huge beholder, it is more a very small cousin of it, that shares most of the bigger ones powers, but are a lot smaller and significantly weaker. The 125CP margin was chosen to make the Tiny Beholderkin a viable option for a Dungeon Fantasy wizard's familiar.

Abilities:
ST 5 [-50] DX 13 [36] IQ 11 [20] HT 10 [0]
Size -4 [0] HP 8 [6] Will 11 [0] Perception 11 [0] FP 10 [0]
Basic Speed 6.00 [5] Move 6 (Air: 12)
The beholderkin is very small (about the size of a curled-up hedgehog), but due to its circular form it has slightly more mass than that. It is quite fast, but the cost of its DX is reduced by the fact that it doesn't have any fine manipulators. For its size, it is quite tough.

Advantages:
Acute Vision +5 [10]
Innate Attack: Burning 2d [10]
Enhanced Move (Air) 1 [20]
Enhanced Tracking 2 [10]
Extra Attack (innate Attack only) 1 [20]
Flight [40]
Infravision [10]
Injury Tolerance (no blood, no neck, no vitals) [15]
Mana Damper 1 (2' Cone, Switchable) [27]
Peripheral Vision [15]
Sharp Teeth [1]
Telekinesis 6 [30]
Languages: Common (native)

The beholderkin has very, very good eyes, and lots of them; it can focus several targets at once, has a very broad field of view, and can see reasonably well without any lightsource. It's other powers are a lot weaker than those of a true beholder, though; the cone of it's major eye makes it harder to cast spells, not impossible, and instead of several different spell-like powers, the beholderkin can only zap several targets with a burning ray from its peripheral eyes which it can do twice per round. It also has an innate Telekinesis power, which is not very strong but helps to replace the total lack of arms and the like.

Perks and Quirks
None. This is a little helper template, not a "real" character.

Disadvantages:
Dependency (Mana, constantly) [-50]
No manipulators [-50]
Social Stigma: Monster [-15]

As magical creatures, beholderkin require a magical atmosphere or start to suffer and fade away quickly. They also have no arms or legs. And no matter how small, if one looks like a beholder everybody will treat you like a monster.

Skills
Aerobatics 13 [4]
Brawling 13 [1]
Innate Attack (Gaze) 15 [4]
Search 12 [2]
Stealth 13 [2]

It's only a small ball of eyes; it should be expected that it can't do too much. effectively, it can look for things, zap things with its firy rays, and if nothing else helps, bite.

CP:
Attributes: 17
Advantages: 208
Perks: -
Disadvantages: -115
Quirks: -
Skills: 15

The tiny beholderkin is almost cute. Until it starts to zap things with its burning rays and starts to block enemy mages with its cone of mana-damping. as a familiar, it would also gain a mind link and special raport advantages, but also a Sense of Duty and Duty towards its mage asdisadvantages for an equal amount of points.

Not every campaing in Gurps start with 100 CP; actually, the recommendation in the core book for "street level" campaings is 150 CP. Dungeon Fantasy, the "We can do anything D&D can with a few shoddy pdf's" variety of Gurps which I used a lot for these builds starts with 250 CP by default, or 300 CP for "Gestalt" or Veteran characters.

Thanks much! Awesome beholder-kin writeup (I remember those from 2nd ed., can't remember if they're in any 3.X books). I think I might have the Dungeon Fantasy book, though I'm not sure which edition (it's from the early-mid 2000s). I think a 150 point game is most likely what I'm going to be joining, though I think it's a more modern-ish type setting. Not 100% sure of the details yet. I'll have to finagle a way to get this guy as a familiar of sorts.

Satyr
2010-03-15, 03:46 PM
You wouldn't happen to live near Erlangen or Windsbach, would you?

Sorry, I am a Nordlicht; I commute between Bremerhaven and Osnabrück.

Oooh! Oooh! Do Subject Zero from Mass Effect 2!

Why do you all tease me so? Mass Effect, Bioshock... I have a friendly, elderly computer. It wouldn't be nice to try to overwhelm it with something like this. Do you want to make my computer cry?

Thanks much! Awesome beholder-kin writeup (I remember those from 2nd ed., can't remember if they're in any 3.X books). I think I might have the Dungeon Fantasy book, though I'm not sure which edition (it's from the early-mid 2000s).

That might be; I haven't played much 2nd edition. I just liked the idea of a tiny beholder pet for a spellcaster. The thing is by the way, an absolute monster and can probably kill a PC in a single round...
Dungeon Fantasy is a pretty new pdf series (two or three years old by now) which includes guidelines for "How to out-D&Dify D&D". It is a pretty nice collection of interesting stuff, even though I don't know the last three or four issues.

I think a 150 point game is most likely what I'm going to be joining, though I think it's a more modern-ish type setting. Not 100% sure of the details yet. I'll have to finagle a way to get this guy as a familiar of sorts.

In a 150 CP game, you could play it.

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-15, 03:50 PM
Why do you all tease me so? Mass Effect, Bioshock... I have a friendly, elderly computer. It wouldn't be nice to try to overwhelm it with something like this. Do you want to make my computer cry?

1) Pretty much all you need to build her can be found in the link.

2) I'm still trying to determine whether to buy GURPS, and my decision hangs on how many types of characters I want to simulate with it it can do.

3) Yes. Yes, we want to make your computer cry. We're mean electronic bullies that way.

Half-Full
2010-03-15, 07:33 PM
Admittedly, I've only played the GURPS Lite rules, so I am by no means an expert on GURPS. I've actually only played once, and that was with GURPS Lite. But it seems like all of these builds have an incredibly low amount of HP compared to what some source material is. Take for example some gut like Whitebeard from One Piece.
Heavy spoiler for those who haven't read the latest chapters.
It takes 267 sword wounds and 152 gun shots to kill him.

How is something that incredibly tough doable in GURPS, without compromising other combat abilites? I'm certain that it's doable, one would just have to use loads of character points, but it just feels so... I don't know, stilted?

And oh, the Faux that was created. A god, or god-like creature, with 10 HP? That just feels wrong. Maybe I'm just ruined by D&D though.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-15, 07:58 PM
Admittedly, I've only played the GURPS Lite rules, so I am by no means an expert on GURPS. I've actually only played once, and that was with GURPS Lite. But it seems like all of these builds have an incredibly low amount of HP compared to what some source material is. Take for example some gut like Whitebeard from One Piece.

How is something that incredibly tough doable in GURPS, without compromising other combat abilites? I'm certain that it's doable, one would just have to use loads of character points, but it just feels so... I don't know, stilted?

And oh, the Faux that was created. A god, or god-like creature, with 10 HP? That just feels wrong. Maybe I'm just ruined by D&D though.

I actually prefer it that way. The epic mage can still be killed by a quick knife to the back, and Faux is a similar example. Do you think gods should just be unkillable through normal means? Mortals with great power? Have bucket-loads of HP/DR/Damage Tolerance but can still be killed by a massive explosion? Because GURPS can do any of that, Satyr was just assuming the 'Mortals with great power' option.

Whitebeard actually wouldn't be that hard. He has ridiculous ST, and therefore really big HP, and probably has DT/2 (I think about 40 pts), and probably Unkillable 1 (like all main anime characters). That should put him close to what he is in the manga, and only cost about 100pts of purely defensive abilities (about 1/5 of his total CP cost probably)

Bucky
2010-03-15, 08:21 PM

The Damage Resistance advantage is cheap plot armor if your GM lets you take it instead of Toughness. Sinking 30 points into Damage Resistance lets you shrug off most sword wounds.

Likewise, the Extra Hit Points advantage can be purchased cheaply even in a realistic campaign. It's much less effective and more expensive, but doubling your default hit point total is quite doable.

Finally, a character with health 16+ and the High Pain Threshold advantage takes a long time to succumb to his wounds. They don't lose consciousness or notice any non-limb-crippling injury until they miss a health roll, and they only miss on a critical failure. I've seen characters like this keep fighting until they hit auto-death at -80 Hit Points... (note: this was pre-4th edition, so hit points were based on health)

Satyr
2010-03-16, 05:14 AM
But it seems like all of these builds have an incredibly low amount of HP compared to what some source material is.

That's intentional. In D&D, you don't dodge or have any ways to actively defend yourself apart from a few ToB maneuvers and such. Regular fighters just block incoming weapons with their heads, for what the rules allow. This lack of an active defense make it necessary to give the characters a large amount of ablative armor, which leads to the typical dull fights without any consequences until one keels over.
In Gurps, combats consist of attack and defense, meaning that hits are a lot less frequent, and a good deender can easily come out of a duel unscarthed. But on the other hand, every single hit above scratch level is meaningful and really, really hurts. You know, as in the real world. As it should be.

Yes, you can increase durability into incredible levels, with stuff like Damage Resistance, increased hitpoints, heroic injury tolerance or unkillable. I usually don't do this in this builds if nothing indicates this kind of campaign or powers.

If you are a creature that can create life-like illusions, teleport whereever you want and take the form od any anthropormophic animal you want, and you still got shot or beaten up, you don't deserve any better. By the way, nothing in the description of Faux indicated any form of supernatural durability.

Knaight
2010-03-16, 12:27 PM
Well then, this asks for a sturdy character as an example.

The Imitator

The Imitator is from the same setting as the servant, and is very similar in many respects, although the servant is far more feared, and for good reason.

The Imitator is a very sturdy figure, a reinforced skeleton inside a borrowed corpse, thinly plated in steel, riveted with gold. The Imitator can use the gold much like the Servant can use mercury, but has less of it, and has a harder time replacing it. It is also less powerful.

While the skeleton is extremely tough, repairs are very difficult, and requires a retreat. In addition, the Imitator is very large, too heavy for a horse, and none too quick, though durable and talented enough to be a match for several competent warriors. It doesn't feel pain, and isn't bright enough to retreat until heavily damaged.

He wields two axes, heavy, brutish things, that contain a gold reserve making wielding them easier, for a time. They are made entirely of metal, but have no protective charms. Injuries inflicted by these axes don't heal naturally, requiring surgery.

Magically, the Imitator works almost entirely off of self blessing, and typically has a blessing up to make projectiles or light thrown weapons nearly worthless, heat resistance, and a blessing that alerts his master when warned.

Note that the Imitator can't be tough enough to survive being hit with siege weaponry, but should be close.

Knaight
2010-03-16, 11:16 PM
Bump, due to suspicions of the thread being forgotten.

deuxhero
2010-03-17, 10:15 PM
In addtion to the existing request for Raidou, I'd like to suggest Mario.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-17, 10:32 PM

10 HP is quite respectable for someone the size of a child.

Any bodies he shapeshifts into are perfectly normal. If he gets shot he'll be hurt and might die. :smalltongue:

His combat tactics involve teleporting all over the place and annoying his enemy so much that they give up. Failing that, turn them into a mouse.

sonofzeal
2010-03-17, 11:07 PM
I would be interesting in seeing the characters from Hunter X Hunter here, specifically Gon and Kurapika. Of importance is the Nen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nen_(fiction)) system central to combat later in the show.

Gon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gon_Freecss)- a child, "Reinforcement" school. As such he is highly strong and highly durable, and heals quickly though he is by no means immortal. He can, though, punch through a brick wall, and absorb similar blows without much harm. Key here is that he only has limited Nen to go around, and that Nen has to cover both offence and defence. If he shifts to an all-out attack, he's defenceless everywhere else. Conversely, if he knows exactly where a blow's coming, he can focus on that spot and absorb devastating attacks. It's not all-or-nothing though, he often shifts energy in percentages as he goes. He can also enter a state of total automatic motion where he is far more graceful and agile but completely undefended and with little to no conscious control but total 360 degree awareness.

Kurapika (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurapika) - A normally balanced fighter, intelligent, can materialize chains out of sheer Nen. Most importantly, he's made a special vow, limiting his full power except against certain targets and putting his life on the line if he breaks the vow, but granting near-godly powers within that narrow context. I really can't explain how terrifyingly powerful he is in this state, but for a small taste - he's immensely strong and agile, can heal almost any wound in seconds, can seal other people's Nen with ease rendering them powerless, and can bind them to up to two conditions; if they violate either, they die instantly. There are only 13 people in the world he can use all these power against though, and even though they're some of the most dangerous criminals in the world he'd utterly trounced at least three of them by the end of the anime. The rest of the time though, against other opponents he's merely a fairly skilled ball-and-chain fighter.

Satyr
2010-03-19, 02:18 AM
I have this thread still in mind, but I am currently a bit short of time, so it might take a while. I think I have something like sixish characters or so in the pipe for this, so I will do these first, before I can take of any new characters. Apparantly I can convert every character, but I can't do it impromtu.

Exthalion
2010-03-20, 01:26 AM
Thank you for doing this, I am not particularly experienced at GURPS so any help would be appreciated.

The character is a Chinese Immortal who uses a magical jian made of jade and magic bronze as hard as steel. He attained immortality by seeking martial perfection and spiritual enlightenment.

He is an accomplished martial artist, able to take on any besides a master, though he prefers to use his jian complimented by his other martial arts.

His combat technique focuses on balancing internal and external, hard and soft, etc. However they are still primarily combat oriented. When not training or in combat he meditates. From his meditations he has gained powers such as healing.

I suppose the best way to describe his abilities would be the main character from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

300 pts. to work with.

Starscream
2010-03-20, 02:01 AM
If you're not already completely swamped with requests, I have an odd one.

A few years back I played a rather over the top and silly GURPS campaign that was a mishmash of characters from different fictional universes (something the system excels at). My teammates were Ash from Evil Dead, Egon Spengler from the Ghostbusters, and Dave Lister from Red Dwarf. And the goal was to stop a zombie apocalypse by killing Jason Voorhees. Like I said, silly.

My own character: Lupin III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsene_Lupin_III)! But sadly the campaign was too low-points to really capture the badass essence of our characters, and they were but pale shadows of their usual selves. Certainly my Lupin was no contender for the title World's Greatest Thief, or Master of Disguise. It didn't help that I was just learning the system, and took skills/advantages/disadvantages mostly from the free GURPS Lite pdf.

So if you've got time (and have any clue who this character is:smallsmile:), show me what a GURPS representation of him should be.

Knaight
2010-03-20, 01:11 PM
I like it. Lupin III is an amazing show, and the numerous movies produced for it have all been quality. Particularly the Miyazaki, even if it has a very different feel.

Satyr
2010-03-20, 01:18 PM
I just learned that there is an anime of the Lupin stories I read as a child. Huh.

As I said, I am currently involved in a lot of work, which makes it a bit difficult to create the free time to take of something like building Gurps characters.

PhoenixRivers
2010-03-20, 01:39 PM
Gurps conversion request:

Character concept: M&M

An ordinary Human, given the mystical power to Transform objects and even living creatures into bread... But only when he is touching a Toaster.

And yes, such a character is possible to make without difficulty, in the M&M system.

Satyr
2010-03-20, 01:52 PM
Fortunately, that's only a power, not a character, so it is farily quick and easy to build:

Affliction: Breadful Polymorph (Malediction (+100%), Heart Attack (+300%), Accessability: only while touching a toaster (-20%), side effect: turns body of the victim into fresh bread +50%) [53]

M&M is a nice system, but in no ways as flexible or adaptable as Gurps. Just saying.

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-01, 05:36 PM
Since this thread is still within the time limit where it is not thread necromancy to post in it, I will go ahead and post in it.

So, could you please post the approximate stats of the four five eight teenager heroes from Avatar: the Last Airbender?

For reference, those heroes are Aang (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Aang), Toph (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Toph_Bei_Fong), Katara (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Katara), Sokka (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Sokka), Zuko (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Zuko), Suki (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Suki), Ty Lee (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Ty_Lee) and Mai (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Mai).

Cybren
2010-05-01, 09:13 PM
This isn't a conversion of characters but for anyone interested in avatar in general a guy on the SJGAmes forums did writeups of the bending stuff.
They're a Martial Art style and Power packaged together.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=30806&highlight=bending+avatar

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-01, 09:40 PM
Where is this Control thing from, anyway? I seem to be unable to find it in the book.

Cybren
2010-05-01, 10:19 PM
It was added in GURPS: Powers, along with a couple of other advantages to shore up things that were more difficult to do than necessary with the basic set.

The Rose Dragon
2010-05-02, 09:25 AM
Sol dammit who was the person who said everything you needed was in the basic set? Cause I'll kill them, you see.

Of course, the really annoying part is that the books are really expensive compared to most other .pdf's out there.

Cybren
2010-05-02, 01:41 PM
The basic set IS all you need. Powers was a book about modeling different kinds of abilities, and introduced Control (or Create, or Illusion) to make things simpler.

You could have the same ability, but make it using the basic set, it just becomes harder to model some abilities. Powers, I think, is also a fairly good investment once you get a good understanding of the system.

Ragitsu
2010-11-27, 04:44 AM
Anyone willing to pick up the torch?

Ragitsu
2010-12-10, 05:28 AM
http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/ragitsu/1b90f9ccc315d3a68658ecd5b785ac9f.jpg?v=135900

Haley Starshine [323]

Basic Attributes [120]
ST 11 [10], DX 14 [80], IQ 11 [20], HT 11 [10]

Secondary Attributes [32]
HP 11 [0], Will 11 [5], Per 15 [20], FP 12 [3].
Basic Speed 6.50 [5], Basic Move 6 [0], Dodge 11, Parry 10 (Knife) and 9 (Shortsword)
Damage 1d-1 Thrust / 1d+1 Swing, Basic Lift 24.

Height: ?, Weight ?, Age: 25?, Appearance: Attractive [4], Coordination: Right Handed
Tech Level: 3, Culture: Northern?, Languages: Common (Native) [0]

Advantages [119]

Enhanced Dodge 2 [30]
Enhanced Tracking 2 [10]
Extra Attack (Bow only, -80%) [5]
Heroic Archer [20]
Luck [15]
Silence 1 [5]
Striking ST +4 (Ranged attacks, -40%) [12]
Striking ST +4 (Sneak attacks, -40%) [12]
Talent (Rogue) (Fast-Talk, Filch, Holdout, Pickpocket, Stealth, Traps) 2 [10]

Disadvantages [-22]

Greed (SC 15) [-7]
Sense of Duty (Close Friends) [-5]
Vow (Try to do good things) [-10]

Perks [0]

Quirks [-3]

Congenial [-1]
In love with Elan [-1]
Obsession (Get enough gold to free her father) [-1]

Skills [77]

Acrobatics 12 [DX/Hard, 1]
Acting 13
Body Language 14 [Per/Average, 1]
Bow 18 [DX/Average, 16]
Climbing 14 [DX/Average, 2]
Fast-Draw (Arrow) 14 [DX/Easy, 1]
Fast-Talk 15 [IQ/Average, 8] *
Filch 15 [DX/Average, 1] *
Forgery/TL3 12 [IQ/Hard, 8]
Holdout 15 [DX/Average, 1] *
Jumping 14 [DX/Easy, 1]
Knife 14 [DX/Easy, 1]
Leadership 11 [IQ/Average, 2]
Merchant 11 [IQ/Average, 2]
Pickpocket 14 [DX/Hard, 1] *
Riding (Equines) 13 [DX/Average, 1]
Running 11 [HT/Average, 2]
Sex Appeal 13 [HT/Average, 4] **
Shortsword 13 [DX/Average, 1]
Stealth 15 [DX/Average, 1] *
Streetwise 13 [IQ/Average, 8]
Swimming 11 [HT/Easy, 1]
Throwing 14 [DX/Easy, 1]
Traps/TL3 14 [IQ/Average, 4] *

[* Includes +2 from "Talent (Rogue)"]
[* Includes +1 from "Appearance: Attractive"]

Equipment

Longbow of Accuracy +2 and Puissance +2

[I]Notes

What can I say? I was bored.

I probably am neglecting a lot of little things about her, though I attribute that more to missing quite a bit of the comic, rather than an unfamiliarity with the system being used. If there are any major Disadvantages that deserve mention, please tell me which: I just chose the two most obvious ones about her, and one which fits with her "Chaotic Good-ish" personality.

In combat, she deals damage with a bow as if an ST 15 person were firing it, "sneak attacks" with ST 15, and "sneak attacks" with ranged weapons at ST 19!

She's good at sneaking, stealing, and a fair amount of social situations. Her physical skills are good enough to survive with, but she's not a full on athlete.

This build likely can be optimized, but as a representation of GURPS's versatility, i'm satisfied with it as is.

panaikhan
2010-12-10, 08:45 AM
Here's an interesting one that came out of a RIFTS game.

A self-aware, self-contained computer program / virus a la Max Headroom.
The 'program' could infect almost anything with an onboard computer (via hacking / programming skills).

Arbane
2010-12-10, 01:28 PM
The Godspear of All-Searing Noon (how does one even say this while keeping a strait face?)

You don't say it. You YELL it, while things explode ALL AROUND YOU! :smallcool:

Hm... how about someone at right-angles to GURPS' usual system, like Lain Iwakura from the anime Serial Experiment Lain, or Beatrice from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni?

...How many disadvantage points will "Doesn't Truly Exist" get you, anyway? :smallbiggrin:

(Whoops. Sorry. Didn't see this was a necro'ed thread.)

Ragitsu
2010-12-10, 04:12 PM
(Whoops. Sorry. Didn't see this was a necro'ed thread.)

Don't feel too bad: threads don't die (unless they're locked).

Just because the content in a thread wasn't seen for the last six or so months, doesn't mean it has suddenly become useless.

Knaight
2010-12-10, 06:33 PM
Besides, the homebrew forums have lighter restrictions regarding thread necromancy, largely due to content. Coming back to the topic.

A Schlock Mercenary ship. I'm not picky as to which, though the Serial Peacemaker or Athens would be particularly nice.

big teej
2010-12-10, 07:09 PM
any character you say?

challenge accepted

Gotrek
Felix
Megaman
Mario
The Skulltaker (as per the novel)
Ibram Gaunt
Hlaine Larkin
Betterman (as per the anime)
:vaarsuvius:
:thog:
:sabine:
:roy:
:roach:
:belkar:
:xykon:
:haley:
:miko:
:mitd:
:nale:
:redcloak:
:durkon:
:elan:
Zero (as per megaman X)
Zero (as per megaman X4)
Wolverine
The Juggernaut
Master Chief
a grunt
Tucker (red vs blue)
Brock (pokemon)
geodude (pokemon)
chucky
the Creeper (Jeepers Creepers)
The Master of Chains (as per the novel)
James Bond
Snorri Nosebiter
General Noches Sturm
Uriel Ventris of the Ultramarines
Sir Sparhawk
Sir Bevier
The Black Knight (as per monty python)
Pac Man
the bar from Pong
Jay the Crazy Ninja
the ninja from Askaninja.com
sigma (megaman XD)
Dr. Light
Dr. Wiley
yoshi
Bowser
Goomba
Koopa Troopa
Donkey Kong
Funky Kong
sorry if I completey misunderstood the concept of the thread, I just saw the title and felt the need. XD

Ragitsu
2010-12-10, 08:14 PM
Here's an interesting one that came out of a RIFTS game.

A self-aware, self-contained computer program / virus a la Max Headroom.
The 'program' could infect almost anything with an onboard computer (via hacking / programming skills).

ST 0
DX 0
IQ 16
HT 10 (for whatever it is inhabiting, unless the vessel is particularly tough/fragile)

Absolute Timing [2]
Digital Mind [5]
Doesn't Sleep [20]
Duplication 5 (Digital) [70]
Extra Life [25]
Intuitive Mathematician [5]
Photographic Memory [10]
Possession (Digital, Reliable 2) [70]

Callous [-5]
Sadism (Constantly) [-37]
Social Stigma (Monster) [-15]
Trickster (Constantly) [-37]

Computer Operation/TL11 20
Computer Hacking/TL11 18 [IQ/Very Hard, 16]
Computer Programming/TL11 18 [IQ/Hard, 12]

Taboo Trait (Complexity-limited IQ) [0]

---

[I]Notes

Built by taking the AI Template from GURPS Characters, adding obvious Traits, and consulting GURPS Ultra-Tech.

This is a fully sentient / sapient "computer virus" that is capable of hacking a variety of computers. Thanks to Duplication and Extra Life, this bit of software is especially hard to get rid of.

The build is rather bare bones. Then again, it fulfills the criteria put forth.

Ragitsu
2010-12-12, 07:29 PM
A Schlock Mercenary ship. I'm not picky as to which, though the Serial Peacemaker or Athens would be particularly nice.

Like, a sailing ship?

I am not going to even attempt vehicle design, though Campaigns and Low-Tech do have TL 3-4 ships.

Aron Times
2010-12-12, 07:46 PM
Lelouch vi Britannia.

Go.

Knaight
2010-12-12, 07:47 PM
Like, a sailing ship?

I am not going to even attempt vehicle design, though Campaigns and Low-Tech do have TL 3-4 ships.

A space opera battle ship piloted by an AI. TL 13 in most respects, though only TL 12 in regards to medicine.

Ragitsu
2010-12-12, 07:51 PM
A space opera battle ship piloted by an AI. TL 13 in most respects, though only TL 12 in regards to medicine.

Ah ha, I am using GURPS 4th Edition, which now only goes up to TL 12^. Anything beyond that is typically beyond the scope of our way of thinking, and verges on becoming magic (even more so than other superscience technology). TL13 and up basically got put into TL 12 or TL 12^.

I do have Spaceships, though, and could possibly whip something together.

Tael
2010-12-12, 08:11 PM
any character you say?

challenge accepted

Gotrek
Felix
Megaman
Mario
The Skulltaker (as per the novel)
Ibram Gaunt
Hlaine Larkin
Betterman (as per the anime)
:vaarsuvius:
:thog:
:sabine:
:roy:
:roach:
:belkar:
:xykon:
:haley:
:miko:
:mitd:
:nale:
:redcloak:
:durkon:
:elan:
Zero (as per megaman X)
Zero (as per megaman X4)
Wolverine
The Juggernaut
Master Chief
a grunt
Tucker (red vs blue)
Brock (pokemon)
geodude (pokemon)
chucky
the Creeper (Jeepers Creepers)
The Master of Chains (as per the novel)
James Bond
Snorri Nosebiter
General Noches Sturm
Uriel Ventris of the Ultramarines
Sir Sparhawk
Sir Bevier
The Black Knight (as per monty python)
Pac Man
the bar from Pong
Jay the Crazy Ninja
the ninja from Askaninja.com
sigma (megaman XD)
Dr. Light
Dr. Wiley
yoshi
Bowser
Goomba
Koopa Troopa
Donkey Kong
Funky Kong
sorry if I completey misunderstood the concept of the thread, I just saw the title and felt the need. XD

I'll stat up one of those, so choose wisely.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-12-12, 10:26 PM
Lelouch vi Britannia.

Go.
BWAHAHAHAHA.

Actually, I think it would be interesting (and probably not too hard) to stat up Vash the Stampede from Trigun. I can give details if you're not familiar with the bloke.

Ragitsu
2010-12-12, 11:19 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA.

Actually, I think it would be interesting (and probably not too hard) to stat up Vash the Stampede from Trigun. I can give details if you're not familiar with the bloke.

I found the following stats online,

Name: Vash the Stampede
Race: ?

Attributes [150]
ST 13 [30]
DX 16 [120]
IQ 13 [60]
HT 12 [20]

Damage 1d/2d-1

Basic Speed 7
Basic Move 7

Basic Lift 34
Fright Check 15 (includes +2 from 'Enhanced Time Sense')
Ground Move 7
Hearing 15
Perception 15 [10]
Size Modifier 0
Taste/Smell 15
Tech Level 11 [15]
Touch 15
Vision 15
Water Move 1,2
Will 13

Advantages [159]
Appearance (Attractive) [4]
Enhanced Dodge [15]
Enhanced Time Sense [45]
Extra Attack (1) [25]
Gunslinger [25]
Piercing Attack (integrated SMG) (4) (1/2D 10; Max 100; Acc 3; RoF 1; Shots N/A; Recoil 1; Rapid Fire (RoF 8-15)) [40]
Unaging [15]
Unfazeable [15]

Perks [2]
Signature Gear (Red coat) [1]
Signature Gear (Supergun from Knives) [1]

Disadvantages [-40]
Enemy (Knives) (More powerful than the PC) (9 or less) [-20]
Flashbacks (Mild) [-5]
Pacifism (Cannot Kill) [-15]

Quirks [-1]
Gluttony (donuts only) [-1]

Skills [66]
Acrobatics DX/H - DX+1 17 [8]
Armoury/TL11 (Small Arms) IQ/A - IQ-1 12 [1]
Brawling DX/E - DX+2 18 [4]
Computer Operation/TL11 IQ/E - IQ+0 13 [1]
Cooking IQ/A - IQ-1 12 [1]
Driving/TL11 (Automobile) DX/A - DX-1 15 [1]
Fast-Draw/TL11 (Ammo) DX/E - DX+1 17 [1]
includes: +1 from 'Enhanced Time Sense'
Fast-Draw (Pistol) DX/E - DX+1 17 [1]
includes: +1 from 'Enhanced Time Sense'
Guns/TL11 (Pistol) DX/E - DX+11 27 [40]
Spacer/TL11 IQ/E - IQ+0 13 [1]
Stealth DX/A - DX+1 17 [4]
Survival (Desert) Per/A - Per+0 15 [2]
Tactics IQ/H - IQ-2 11 [1]

Stats [240] Ads [199] Disads [-40] Quirks [-1] Skills [66] = Total [466]

I believe it's not perfect, but it's very close.

Ragitsu
2010-12-13, 07:03 PM
"This may sound really off the wall, but listen to me. You've got to believe me. I've not gone crazy, and I'm not fooling around. At first I thought I was losing my mind. But now I know I'm not. It's not me. This whole town. It's being invaded by the other world. Worlds of someone's nightmarish delusions come to life. Little by little the invasion is spreading. Trying to swallow up everything in darkness"

Harry Mason [239]

Basic Attributes [60]
ST 11 [10], DX 11 [20], IQ 11 [20], HT 11 [10]

Secondary Attributes [40]
HP 12 [5], Will 14 [15], Per 13 [10], FP 12 [5].
Basic Speed 5.75 [5], Basic Move 5 [0], Dodge 10, Parry (10 - Brawling, Knife, Broadsword or 11 - Two-Handed Axe/Mace), Damage 1d Thrust /1d+2 Swing, Basic Lift 24.

Height: 6' 1" Weight: 175 lbs., Age: 32, Appearance: Average, Coordination: Right Handed.
Languages: English (Native) [0], Culture: Western, Tech Level: 8

Advantages [146]
Ally (Cybil - 50% of Power, Quite Rarely) [1], Combat Reflexes [15], Common Sense [10], Enhanced Dodge [15], Enhanced Parry [10], Intuition [15], Luck (Extraordinary) [30], Serendipity 2 [30], Striking ST +1 [5], Unfazeable [15]

Disadvantages [-85]
Dependent (Cheryl - 25% or less, Loved one, Constantly) [-80], Obsession (Rescue Cheryl) [-5],

Perks [1]
Weapon Bond (Steel Pipe)

Quirks [-3]
Expression ("Have you seen a little girl?"), Humble, Responsive

Skills [76]
Brawling [DX/Easy, 4] 13, Diplomacy 11, Fast-Draw (Two-Handed Axe/Mace) [DX/Easy, 2] 12/13 with Combat Reflexes, Forced Entry [DX/Easy, 2] 12, Guns (Pistol)/TL8 [DX/Easy, 4] 13, Literature [IQ/Hard, 16] 14, Melee Weapon (Two-Handed Axe/Mace) [DX/Average, 12] 14/15 with Steel Pipe, Melee Weapon (Broadsword) [DX/Average, 8] 13, Melee Weapon (Knife) [DX/Average, 4] 12, Navigation (Urban)/TL8 [IQ/Easy, 4] 13, Running [HT/Average, 4] 12, Scrounging [Per/Easy, 1] 13, Urban Survival [Per/Average, 1] 12, Writing [IQ/Average, 12] 13

Techniques [4]
Stamp Kick (Brawling +3) [4]

Equipment

[I]The Radio
Detect {(Supernatural Monsters) 20, Cosmic: No Die Roll Required +100%, Vague -50%, Nuisance Effect (Static) -5%), DR 2 SM-5 Stolen with Quick Contest of ST Gadget -60%} [24]

Knaight
2010-12-13, 07:24 PM
Ah ha, I am using GURPS 4th Edition, which now only goes up to TL 12^. Anything beyond that is typically beyond the scope of our way of thinking, and verges on becoming magic (even more so than other superscience technology). TL13 and up basically got put into TL 12 or TL 12^.

I do have Spaceships, though, and could possibly whip something together.

I know that, I'm using GURPS 4e guidelines for TL, just extrapolating. Its just a hair past TL 12, so it gets TL 12^, extrapolated to 13 to explain that it is just barely beyond TL 12.

jimmyjimjam
2013-07-27, 06:31 PM

They don't sound like "uber high level" campaigns. They sound like s.hit campaigns played by a bunch of morons.

Sith_Happens
2013-07-28, 02:07 AM
NEW CHALLENGE:

A thread necromancer.