PDA

View Full Version : What is the most delicious thing you have ever eaten/eat regularly?

Pika...
2010-02-10, 03:44 PM
As a gu who loves to try new foods, and always comes home from the market with something I have never tried before from the shelves (much to my family's dismay), I would eat most things at least once. Just last night/this morning I found some DELICIOUS flat Indian bread of some kind at Walmart, and it is so good for sandwiches. I love the ethnic aisles especially, since there are tons of things there I have never even seen.

While there is too much for me to choose a best of the best foodwise, what about you folks?

arguskos
2010-02-10, 03:57 PM
Best thing I've ever eaten was this one specific piece of Bonito (a specific fish) I had three weeks ago while out with my family. It was literally as if Nirvana revealed itself to me through food, and it was every bit as perfect as the stories claimed. Time slowed down, and I was lost in bliss for what seemed an eternity, but was really about 15 seconds.

Best thing I eat frequently... huh. That's pretty damn hard. I think I'll go with Skyline Chili. Man, I LOVE that place and that chili. There's just something about it that makes me smile every time I walk in. I've NEVER left unhappy. Ever.

Winterwind
2010-02-10, 04:07 PM
Most delicious thing I've ever eaten... I think that would have been in a small Chinese restaurant I visited when I was in Spain on holidays a couple of years ago. They had a very spicy calamari dish there... I like calamari in general, but that tasted completely differently than any calamari I'd ever eaten before, and it was absolutely magnificent. :smallcool:

Most delicious thing I eat regularly... does once per year count as regularly? Because then I'll go for 'barszcz z uszkami' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Uszka-aasica.jpg), a soup made from red beet with mushroom-filled dumplings, quite spicy, too, which is traditionally served in Poland at the Christmas Eve dinner.

Pika...
2010-02-10, 04:10 PM
Most delicious thing I've ever eaten... I think that would have been in a small Chinese restaurant I visited when I was in Spain on holidays a couple of years ago. They had a very spicy calamari dish there... I like calamari in general, but that tasted completely differently than any calamari I'd ever eaten before, and it was absolutely magnificent. :smallcool:

Most delicious thing I eat regularly... does once per year count as regularly? Because then I'll go for 'barszcz z uszkami' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Uszka-aasica.jpg), a soup made from red beet with mushroom-filled dumplings, quite spicy, too, which is traditionally served in Poland at the Christmas Eve dinner.

Hmm...

Must hit up Poland one day around the holiday season.

Nameless
2010-02-10, 04:11 PM
Giant Turtle.

arguskos
2010-02-10, 04:14 PM
Dude, I know you're from that part of the world and all, but man, I can't stand that soup. The dumplings were nice though.

Oh, another DELICIOUS thing I've had recently: fried kibbeh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbeh) (see the top picture). It's a ball of bulgur croquette stuffed with lamb, and IT WAS AMAZING. Man, I want those again, but I can't get them in this country really. :smallsigh:

Morty
Most delicious thing I've ever eaten or eat regularily. A hard choice. Barszcz z uszkami is indeed nice, but not really delicious. I can't really name the most delicious thing I've ever eaten, but the tasties thing I eat semi-regularily - once per year, only on Easter, not Christmas - is something my grandmother makes and that pretty much consists of sausage, ham and other meat as well as eggs fried together on a pan. Arteries go clang just by looking at it, but it's great. Here's how it looks like, sort of:
http://ugotuj.to/im/4/3275/z3275284M.jpg

Zanaril
Calamari is scrumptious.

Lime pickle is also tasty, although my family looks at me oddly when I eat it straight out of the jar. BBQ ribs are another good one, or any other spicy/sweet savoury food, really.

Pika...
2010-02-10, 04:18 PM
Giant Turtle.

But they are near extinction. :smallfrown:

Pika...
2010-02-10, 04:24 PM
Most delicious thing I've ever eaten or eat regularily. A hard choice. Barszcz z uszkami is indeed nice, but not really delicious. I can't really name the most delicious thing I've ever eaten, but the tasties thing I eat semi-regularily - once per year, only on Easter, not Christmas - is something my grandmother makes and that pretty much consists of sausage, ham and other meat as well as eggs fried together on a pan. Arteries go clang just by looking at it, but it's great. Here's how it looks like, sort of:
http://ugotuj.to/im/4/3275/z3275284M.jpg

Recipe much? :smallbiggrin:

Nameless
2010-02-10, 04:28 PM
But they are near extinction. :smallfrown:

Giant defenceless slow-moving sacks of deliciousness are going extinct? I can't imagine why... >.>

Starfols
2010-02-10, 04:28 PM
Oh man, where to begin..

Oyako donburi is amazing, as is yakiniku.

Salmon is ten times better uncooked.

I love tapas. My favorite are ones made from shark, I think. I haven't been able to find it again :smallfrown:.

I had this creme brulee once.. man, it was awesome..

Authentic Mexican tacos can be really good, if they don't make you sick :smallamused:.

arguskos
2010-02-10, 04:29 PM
Recipe much? :smallbiggrin:
Uh... I could probably make that. Cook ham, bacon, sausage, whatever meats you want the way you want them. Scramble eggs in the fat left from the meats. Put in bow and mix together a little. Top with whatever you want (I like cheese). Eat.

At least, that's exactly what that looks like, and is precisely how I'd make it. It's DELICIOUS.

Winthur
2010-02-10, 04:31 PM
Most delicious thing I've ever eaten or eat regularily. A hard choice. Barszcz z uszkami is indeed nice, but not really delicious.
I suppose you realize, this means war.

When it comes to Polish dishes, I'm all for pierogi and cold borscht (although that's Lithuanian). Cold borscht is awesomeness in summer (because it's, you know, cold. It looks kinda distressing, but it's really awesome. Believe it!) , pierogi is a very delicious thing and usually available in every restaurant and it's homemade rather easily.

Also, schabowy. :smalltongue: You can never go wrong with it.

Morty
2010-02-10, 04:33 PM
Uh... I could probably make that. Cook ham, bacon, sausage, whatever meats you want the way you want them. Scramble eggs in the fat left from the meats. Put in bow and mix together a little. Top with whatever you want (I like cheese). Eat.

At least, that's exactly what that looks like, and is precisely how I'd make it. It's DELICIOUS.

That about sums it up. Only you don't scramble eggs but add quarters or halves of hard-boiled eggs after frying the cold meats for a while. The recipe on the site I took the picture from says to top it with horseradish but thankfully, my grandmother doesn't do it.
Of course, it should be noted that this dish is an unhealthy cholesterol bomb.

I suppose you realize, this means war.

I never said it was bad, you know.

arguskos
2010-02-10, 04:38 PM
That about sums it up. Only you don't scramble eggs but add quarters or halves of hard-boiled eggs after frying the cold meats for a while. The recipe on the site I took the picture from says to top it with horseradish but thankfully, my grandmother doesn't do it.
Ah, you hardboil and quarter the eggs. That'd be pretty good too. I can see horseradish on top actually... that'd be nice. But, then again, I like horseradish sometimes, so :smallbiggrin:.

Pika...
2010-02-10, 04:45 PM

Linkie winkie?

Giant defenceless slow-moving sacks of deliciousness are going extinct? I can't imagine why... >.>

That's just wrong. :smallfrown:

Nameless
2010-02-10, 04:46 PM
That's just wrong. :smallfrown:

I don't get it.

Man, I want to try turtle soup so bad. ~w~

Morty
2010-02-10, 04:47 PM
Ah, you hardboil and quarter the eggs. That'd be pretty good too. I can see horseradish on top actually... that'd be nice. But, then again, I like horseradish sometimes, so .

Perhaps. I don't really like horseradish myself.

Linkie winkie?

I could link it, but it's in Polish. So unless you know Polish, you might find it less than informative. :smallwink:

Jack Squat
2010-02-10, 04:47 PM
Most delicious thing was Imperialed Wolffish. I have no idea what that means to prepare it, as I can't find anything online - but that's what it was called at Bonefish Grill. I remember it was stuffed with crab and covered in a white sauce of some sort. Not much help, but that's all I've got.

Well-prepared steaks are incredible as well, and probably the best thing I have regularly is good thick-cut bacon.

Pika...
2010-02-10, 04:49 PM
I could link it, but it's in Polish. So unless you know Polish, you might find it less than informative. :smallwink:

I see. :/

Is there at last a name?

I know some recipe sites that probably have it in English.

snoopy13a
2010-02-10, 04:53 PM
Calamari is scrumptious.

Calamari is good.

My favorite regular food is chicken wings (made Buffalo style).

Morty
2010-02-10, 04:56 PM
I see. :/

Is there at last a name?

I know some recipe sites that probably have it in English.

Well, the Polish name is "smażonka galicyjska". There's no English name apparently and no English sites containing the Polish name. Turns out it's a rather obscure dish. I guess I could translate the recipe, as it's rather simple...

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-10, 05:07 PM
In dutch(Accurate version): Glipkip(eigen uitvinding/recept), komkommer, appelmoes(heeel klein beetje), ketchup, stroop, poedersuiker, kerriesaus, aardappel(plakjes, niet gebakken of gekookt), twee gourmet-pannenkoekjes en twee champignonnetjes(plakjes).

Slide-chicken(own invention/recipe), cucumber, applesauce(a tiny bit), ketchup, maple syrup, icing sugar(orso google translate tells me), currysauce. potato(slices, neither baked nor cooked), two gourmet-pancakes and some slices of mushroom.

Yes, that is one thing, people apparently think I'm crazy.:smalltongue:

Though I do assure you, it is delicious!:smallbiggrin::smallamused::smallcool:

randman22222
2010-02-10, 05:10 PM
As a gu who loves to try new foods, and always comes home from the market with something I have never tried before from the shelves (much to my family's dismay), I would eat most things at least once. Just last night/this morning I found some DELICIOUS flat Indian bread of some kind at Walmart, and it is so good for sandwiches. I love the ethnic aisles especially, since there are tons of things there I have never even seen.

While there is too much for me to choose a best of the best foodwise, what about you folks?

Naan. You found naan. I love that stuff! Especially when it's cooked with garlic.

Anyway. Something new... Well, at a Chinese restaurant in KL that I ate at with my mum and grandma, I had these cool little dumplings that had soup inside of them. Must be hard to make, but they were sooooo good.

thubby
2010-02-10, 05:21 PM
potato onion pierogies

Pyrian
2010-02-10, 06:03 PM
Dark Chocolate Dove Ice Cream bars.

Little Debbie Nutty Bars.

Red Baron Singles Pepperoni Pizzas, the ones that come two to a box - and not any other kind of Red Baron product, sadly. Not the larger ones, not the smaller ones, not the thinner ones, not the french bread ones.

...Yes, I'm a consumer whore. :smallcool:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-02-10, 06:07 PM
Oh man, this is a tough one...Well, I am a custard junkie.

PJ the Epic
2010-02-10, 06:11 PM
Food! No wait...uhhhhh?

I might be the only one, but, personaly, I like to eat Mayonaise. I make it and eat it plain. I just really like the taste.

BizzaroStormy
2010-02-10, 06:24 PM
Speedway Eggrolls: Yes, I mean Speedway the gas station. The eggrolls are great for quick, somewhat filling snack. They usually go for $2 for a pair of them.

Local Foods: Whatever town you're in, the small, family-run places are usually the best. I have two examples.

Gordo's Tacos: A place that makes great tacos and burritos mainly due to one factor, they don't use ground beef. They use shredded beef and/or chicken in whatever you order. And they use the good cuts of meat for such things. hey also have the 6 lb. "ElGordo Burrito" which requires 4 tortillas to make, they even give prizes based on how man you eat within two hours.

1 burrito = Sign a poster.
2 burritos = Get your name on a plaque.
3 Burritos = Get your own small plaque and $100.

The price isn 't bad considering its $10 which qeuares to about $1.75 per pound.

Ray's: A classic drive-in diner that has been around since the 60's and sell the best and biggest burgers and tenderloins in town. The food isn't expensive here either. $2 will get you a large cheeseburger with whatever you want on it.

Dr. Bath
2010-02-10, 06:29 PM
Peanut butter and branston pickle sandwiches. Nutella and banana sandwiches. Nutella in general. Apricot jam on croisants. Apricot jam in general.

Air.

Adlan
2010-02-10, 07:44 PM
Most delicious? had to say. Venision. Fresh Offal. Red Pole Beef.

Yeah Red Pole Beef. Upgrade the quality of your meat (if you haven't already). Get some game, or local good quality farm meat (buy direct or local butcher, a direct chain as short as pos. you can get great deals, and support the local economy).

I did have a fabulous bagguette that's 'my usual' at a sandwich bar in cambridge. ownership has changed while I'm at uni, but I'm still recognised from my order.

Wholemeal baguette, butter, basil pesto, roasted Mediterranean vegetables and goats cheese. With Hot crispy bacon (british free range, good stuff, only 30p extra too).

Oh man it's good, the creamy salty cheese contrasts with the sweet, oily veg, and the hot bacon gives a wonderful thermodynamic depth to the sandwich.

Along with bacon being awesome!. Good maple or treacle cure bacon.... mmm.

Sneak
2010-02-10, 09:07 PM
Good pad thai beats out all competition.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-02-10, 10:05 PM
While I enjoy many east asian foods, I just can't say I like anything better than a nice, thick, juicy, steak straight from the grill. Then again, that might be that round-eye that I ate the other night talking.

toasty
2010-02-10, 10:17 PM
Tastiest thing I eat regularly? Aloo Poori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poori) Iz good stuff.

Tastiest thing ever? That would probably be really good BBQ. However, in close 2nd is Tandoori Chicken. Tandoori Chicken is just... amazing.

Fawkes
2010-02-10, 10:53 PM
The best meal I ever had was at a restaurant on the island of Mykonos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mykonos). Started off with fresh bread an assortment of olive oil, which was amazing in itself. Moved on to the best lamb gyro in the world, followed by two shots of ouzo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouzo).

Another one of my favorites was in a little mom-and-pop deli about an hour north of Brisbane, Australia. A simple cheeseburger, garnished with lettuce, onions, a fried egg, a slice of pineapple, and a slice of beetroot. Served with chips (delicious french fries) and a Schweppes lemonade.

I love traveling.

Anuan
2010-02-10, 11:07 PM
Congratulations on finding out what a proper burger should have on it :smallbiggrin:

Tyrant
2010-02-11, 12:03 AM
For me it is the T-Bone (or Porterhouse if you want a little more) at a restaurant in Bloomington, IN (thankfully only an hour away from me) called Yanko's. Not sure on the spelling, I've always known it as Zagreb's (the owner was Yugoslavian). The steaks here are very easily the best I have ever had and worth every penny. I've heard (though with no real way to verify) that Billy Joel loves the place. I wouldn't say I eat there refgularly though (2-3 times a year).

Something I eat a little more frequently that I love is the Quesadilla Burger at Applebee's. It's nothing overly complex but it is good.

Something I miss is the fried chicken at Hardee's. The chicken at KFC is alright but I thought Hardee's was better and their bisquits were good too.

UnChosenOne
2010-02-11, 12:22 AM
Brain mushroom (G. esculenta) and yellow onion with European Moose in creamsauce and Potatos.

Servus
2010-02-11, 01:41 AM
Tastiest thing I eat regularly? Aloo Poori (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poori) Iz good stuff.
But fresh chapati with melted butter and some indian pickle is the BEST.

toasty
2010-02-11, 01:47 AM
But fresh chapati with melted butter and some indian pickle is the BEST.

I dislike aacha, personally, but buttered Naan (or chapati, or paratha) is heavenly.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 02:59 AM
Sea food. I love seafood. Any kind.

Solaris
2010-02-11, 03:03 AM
Baby. The other, other white meat.
... Hey, somebody had to make the cannibalism jokes.

Venison is great. I'd also recommend looking into some Arabic foods - the Iraqis would roll out a meal every once in a while and invite us to share. I have no idea what they called it, but their food is really good. Rice with hard little fruit in it, some kind of pickled veggie (burgundy in color), and mutton or chicken. Rarely beef - we were in the poorest part of Iraq. We weren't getting anything that outsiders would call fancy, but it was the best they could do. Homecooked Iraqi food is good enough that I'd eat it stateside. Chai is good, too.
That reminds me - I gotta con 'terps into coming over here and opening up restaurants. The path to world peace goes straight through the stomach.

Bhu
2010-02-11, 05:06 AM
If I can pimp out a particular place:

http://starlinerdiner.com/menu.html

Never have I had a bad meal here. Ever. Despite not being a steakhouse they serve the best steak I have ever had. Ditto on seafood gumbo, breakfast enchiladas, and spicy fettucine.

And their chili with cheese encrusted jalapeno cornbread is to die for.

BisectedBrioche
2010-02-11, 06:01 AM
A lot of people outside the UK (and many within) find this strange; but I'm quite partial to kidney, (especially steak and kidney).

SilentNight
2010-02-11, 10:29 AM
I enjoy a good bowl of cereal, sometimes three meals a day on the weekends. Yogurt and bananas help vary it a little.

Setra
2010-02-11, 10:32 AM
Three contenders here.

1: Salmon, cooked in a specific way at one of the restaurants I visit regularly.
2: Chicken Teriyaki Skewers with a specific recipe that is at a restaurant I used to visit regularly (I have since moved)
3: This creamy chicken soup of some sort I had at J. Alexanders, when I first tasted it I exclaimed "This is the best thing I have ever eaten", but after the first bowl it never seemed to taste as good as it did the first time :smallfrown:

arguskos
2010-02-11, 10:55 AM
If I can pimp out a particular place:

http://starlinerdiner.com/menu.html

Never have I had a bad meal here. Ever. Despite not being a steakhouse they serve the best steak I have ever had. Ditto on seafood gumbo, breakfast enchiladas, and spicy fettucine.

And their chili with cheese encrusted jalapeno cornbread is to die for.
I've been there. It's pretty good indeed. I need to go again some time, though I don't make it out to Hilliard much.

Keshay
2010-02-11, 11:30 AM
3 dishes stand out in my memory as really good

My grandfather's Beef Brasato. He'd get the meat from a local butcher and cook it all weekend to prepare for Sunday dinner. The meat just falls apart on your tongue.

A Tuna Steak. I was hesitant to eat what amounted to raw fish, but each bite seemd more luxouious than the last. Sadly, the quality of that first meal of this type has yet to be replicated.

Lastly, Tortilla Soup made by my buddy's wife. I had to stop eating it halfway through because it was unsettling how delicous it was. The knowlege that I'd possibly never again have anything else quite so wonderful to eat actually unsettled me to the point I had to excuse myself for a minute.

Aedilred
2010-02-11, 12:05 PM
Possibly the best thing I've ever eaten was a snack I'm not allowed to make any more- a bagel (fried) with bacon (fried) and cream cheese. The quantity of fat that went into it was something to behold, and in fact broke the extractor fan in the kitchen at the time. It's also the reason I'm not allowed to cook it any more, both for the sake of the kitchen and my arteries. I only made it twice, but it was delicious.

From a more fine dining approach, at a London restaurant (Arbutus, if anyone knows it) I had pig's head terrine followed by meatballs, and they were both utterly fantastic.

I've had quite a lot of good food in my time, though.

Isolder74
2010-02-11, 01:04 PM
Well for me it's my own Loaded Potato Soup. Now the catch with that recipe is that you don't want to eat that all the time but boy is it yummy.

Drolyt
2010-02-11, 01:30 PM
There are lots of tasty things, maybe I should categorize?
Thing I Eat Regularly: Bacon. I love Bacon. Better if its traditionally smoked.
American: Either real BBQ or really good beef (it has to be good, grass fed beef) or game meat. I like meat, but not the fattened up grain fed kind.
Southeast Asian: Definitely a good Pad Thai.
Japanese: Hard to say, but I love Sushi and Sashimi. I like fish even more than land meat. Has to be real Sushi though, California Rolls aren't bad but the real stuff is the best. A good Spicy Tuna Roll or a simple roll with fresh fish on top and some soy sauce.
Chinese: Lots of stuff here, I love Stir Fry the best though. Lots of different kinds, but a simple Stir Fry with Shrimp, Chicken, Pork, Veggies, and Rice with a brown sauce is delicious.
South Asian/Indian: I forget what it was called, but it had goat and a delicious sauce and was one of the best things I ever ate. I need to try more Indian.
Greek: Gyros with Lamb are good. I like Lamb.
British: Fish and Chips. Pretty much the only good thing they have.
Mexican: My Grandmothers husband is Mexican and used to make these tacos that were absolutely delicious. Nothing like the crap at Taco Bell.
Italian: Pasta with a white, cream based sauce with Pancetta and Parmesan for flavoring and some Shrimp. Barring that a simple Fettuccine Alfredo with Shrimp is good, but that's not real home made Italian.
French: Seafood Bisque.
German/Polish: A variety of Home Made Sausage.
Other Nordic/Germanic: Herring, either in a sauce or pickled.
Other: Chicken Nuggets. It's the only thing I can stand if for some reason I go to a fast food restaurant.

Overall: Seafood, particularly Shrimp and (when I can afford it) Lobster. Seafood is simply the most delicious thing on earth.

And Finally...
The Most Delicious Dish I Have Ever Had: Cheese stuffed pasta in a spicy cayenne cream sauce with pancetta, parmesan and romano, some shrimp, and some broccoli, peppers, and tomato. It was awesome.

Egiam
2010-02-11, 01:51 PM
@Pika: Yay for Naan! I love that stuff too!

Whenever I visit my Grammy's house in the Midwest US, we take a trip to the farmer's market. They have some of the best corn, tomatoes, and steak in that area of the country.

I also really like Japanese-style sushi, which never has egg in it. I am allergic to egg, and Americans like adding fake crab (which is made with egg), or sometimes a fancy mayonaise-based sauce (Which is made with egg).

A movie-theatre in my town brews their own Root beer. BEST SOFT-DRINK IN THE WORLD.

But my dietary staple is definitely Adam's brand organic salted crunchy peanut butter (Adam's is a subdivision of Smuckers) on locally baked bread.