PDA

View Full Version : 4E Best class for Eladrin

Song Bird
2010-02-10, 05:45 PM
Our DM is starting a 4E campaign this will be the first time our group (even our DM) play 4E, Eladrin's pict from the PHB caught my eyes and i decided upon it, but i really dont know which class Eladrin is best at. (assuming its gonna start at lv 11

Siegel
2010-02-10, 05:47 PM
You have Dex/Int

you can be a really good

Wand Wizards
Tactlords ( !!! )
Avengers

hamishspence
2010-02-10, 05:49 PM
You've accidentally posted the same thread twice- I suggest deleting the thread that hasn't been posted to yet- just editing that first post and selecting "Delete post" should hopefully do it.

If no-one else has posted to that thread, it should be possible to delete it yourself- if not, then ask the mods.

DSCrankshaw
2010-02-10, 05:51 PM
Probably wizard--that's what they're designed around, primarily wand wizards.

Alternately, anything that uses Int or Dex as the primary stat and gets some use out of the other: Swordmage is the only one I can think of off-hand (since Dex goes toward sword feats). Then there's Rogue, Psion, Artificer, Monk, and Assassin--each one uses either Int or Dex as the primary. Finally, there's bard, for no other reason than the feat Feyborn Charm.

AgentPaper
2010-02-10, 05:53 PM
Really, they can be good at whatever they damn well please, just like any other race. What type of character do you want to play?

Yakk
2010-02-10, 05:54 PM
There are at most a handful of classes Eladrin are bad at.

If you want to restrict your choices, it is easier to make an Eladrin who is of a class that uses Int or Dex as a primary attribute. It is almost as easy to have an Eladrin with Int or Dex as a secondary attribute.

Classes with Dex or Int as a primary attribute:
Wizards, Rogues, Rangers (bow), Monks (from PHB3, or DDI), Artificers (from EPG or DDI), Swordmages (FRPG or DDI), Assasins (DDI exclusive)

Classes with neither Dex nor Int as a primary nor secondary attribute:
Clerics, Paladins, Wardens, possibly some PHB3 classes.

By level 11, however, combinations of things can easily dominate the game.

Even more so, how comphie you are with complex builds matters a huge amount, as well as how optimised your group is going to be.

And even with those 3 classes (Clerics, Paladins and Wardens) you can make a quite viable Eladrin.

erikun
2010-02-10, 05:57 PM
Also remember racial abilities - Fey Step from the Eladrin, in this case. While it is useful for Wizards, it is more helpful for melee classes. Rogues, Rangers and Warlords get more use out of teleporting once-per-encounter than a Wizard will.

Also, you might try something thematic with the Eladrin. I believe there is a paragon path that deals damage whenever you teleport... Eladrin Fey Warlock who teleports once per encounter, teleports whenever they kill something, and has powers for teleporting would be a lot more interesting than something that just benefits from the +2 Dex/Int.

Song Bird
2010-02-10, 05:58 PM
Really, they can be good at whatever they damn well please, just like any other race. What type of character do you want to play?

I was actually looking forward to a Warlord, but i am not sure if that is a good idea

Song Bird
2010-02-10, 06:00 PM
Also remember racial abilities - Fey Step from the Eladrin, in this case. While it is useful for Wizards, it is more helpful for melee classes. Rogues, Rangers and Warlords get more use out of teleporting once-per-encounter than a Wizard will.

Also, you might try something thematic with the Eladrin. I believe there is a paragon path that deals damage whenever you teleport... Eladrin Fey Warlock who teleports once per encounter, teleports whenever they kill something, and has powers for teleporting would be a lot more interesting than something that just benefits from the +2 Dex/Int.

wow how interesting/that is a great idea

hamishspence
2010-02-10, 06:01 PM
Tactical warlord may work.

I think there is an upcoming Ranged Warlord in Martial Power 2 that will make use of Dexterity as well.

erikun
2010-02-10, 06:02 PM
I was actually looking forward to a Warlord, but i am not sure if that is a good idea
Eladrin Tactical Warlord is a good idea. The Taclord is a very good class by itself, and you're boosting the stat that increases bonuses to your party, INT. You can also teleport, either to get yourself out of a bad situation or to set up flanking for a Rogue/use of a daily.

Asta Kask
2010-02-10, 06:05 PM
Fighter. Teleport next to the enemies' squishies and start hacking away.

AgentPaper
2010-02-10, 06:10 PM
Eladrin make wonderful Tactical Warlords. Just take Eladrin Soldier, and you get +2 damage and proficiency with all spears, which includes superior ones like the Greatspear. Later on, you can also pick up Tactical Inspiration, which is an Eladrin-only feat that lets you add your int mod to the damage you heal with your inspiring word power.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-10, 06:11 PM

Rogue. Teleport next to squishies and kill them.

Preferably with one Sneak Attack.

erikun
2010-02-10, 06:11 PM
wow how interesting/that is a great idea
Found it, if you're interested. The paragon path Feytouched (PHB p.141, Fey Pact Warlock) has an ability Slashing Wake which deals damage equal to your Intelligence modifier to all adjacent enemies whenever you teleport out of a square. The damage will be pretty minor at level 11 (around 7 damage) but you get a lot of teleporting options, especially as a Fey Warlock. You'll be stuck with focusing on INT/CHA for stats, though.

Mordokai
2010-02-10, 06:13 PM

Polearm eladrin fighters are actually very fun to play and very efficient.

RebelRogue
2010-02-10, 06:17 PM
Eladrin make wonderful Tactical Warlords. Just take Eladrin Soldier, and you get +2 damage and proficiency with all spears, which includes superior ones like the Greatspear. Later on, you can also pick up Tactical Inspiration, which is an Eladrin-only feat that lets you add your int mod to the damage you heal with your inspiring word power.
The Greatspear thing is one tasty little exploit. Taclords love reach weapons, and a +3 proficiency bonus is always helpful. The +2 damage can't hurt, either.

AgentPaper
2010-02-10, 06:18 PM
Found it, if you're interested. The paragon path Feytouched (PHB p.141, Fey Pact Warlock) has an ability Slashing Wake which deals damage equal to your Intelligence modifier to all adjacent enemies whenever you teleport out of a square. The damage will be pretty minor at level 11 (around 7 damage) but you get a lot of teleporting options, especially as a Fey Warlock. You'll be stuck with focusing on INT/CHA for stats, though.

There's also actually a paragon path specifically for eladrin tactical warlords, the Spiral Tactician, which is in Martial Power. (as is the feat I mentioned above)

Song Bird
2010-02-10, 06:22 PM
Where is tactlord from? which book?

erikun
2010-02-10, 06:23 PM
Taclord (or Tactlord) is a shorted form of "Tactical Warlord", or the standard Warlord with the Tactical Presence class feature. (Standard option from the PHB)

BobTheDog
2010-02-10, 06:54 PM
The Eladrin enhancing stuff is on Martial Power.

Edit: Just noticed a Ninja posted it some posts ahead, but still, now it's in "answer position" to the OP's question. :smallbiggrin:

Shazbot79
2010-02-10, 11:49 PM
All of them.

Seriously...Eladrin seem geared more towards Wizards with their racial stat bonuses, but you can make an Eladrin effective in any class.

For example, Eladrin Fighter might not be as daughty and resilient as Dwarves, or as strong as Minotaurs...but they can teleport their way from a gaggle of enemies to deliver 3[W] worth of "Stop It!" to the ogre that's beating on the party Rogue.

Asbestos
2010-02-11, 12:40 AM
The Eladrin enhancing stuff is on Martial Power.

Edit: Just noticed a Ninja posted it some posts ahead, but still, now it's in "answer position" to the OP's question. :smallbiggrin:

Indeed Martial Power is an Eladrin Taclord's best friend. My favorite (and one of the more shortlived) 4e characters I've had was an Eladrin Taclord. I think the build was to eventually get rather charge focused with a MC into fighter and that feat that lets the Eladrin fey step allies and the other that lets them charge/fey step and not expend the fey step. The plan was to teleport myself and an ally (my charge-happy minotaur pal) all over the battlefield.

SaintRidley
2010-02-11, 01:10 AM
I enjoy the idea of multiclassing Wizard into Swordmage and going for Wizard of the Spiral Tower. It just seems nifty to me.

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-11, 02:24 AM
A melee combat centred character like the swordmage is great when you consider the Eladrin's Fey Step.

Draz74
2010-02-11, 02:45 AM
Someone once mentioned they had a dream of playing in a "Ninja Party": all five characters would be Eladrin and would be trained in Stealth (probably through Rogue multiclassing in several cases).

I found it very amusing.

Skrizzy
2010-02-11, 06:33 AM
Eladrin wizard.

Use dex to get higher on the initiative table. Take the feat that grants combat advantage against all opponents that haven't acted yet. Battle Mage Paragon path so that when you action point you get +4 to your attack rolls. I did that as a human to get the feat to go with it. I got +7 total without the combat advantage.

Heres what worked for my human wizard (orb) with this build:

DM: Skrizzy you go first.
Me: I action point, cast this aoe spell (all hit) cast this aoe spell (all hit), each guy hit takes X damage, and they are all dazed until the end of my next turn.
DM: They are all bloodied. :(

Put simply, my first turn started the battle off with a bang. This build worked especially well since the encounter aoe spells for wizards have some nifty abilities. I think a human works better for this since they get a grand total of +9 (+4 paragon, +3 human only feat, +2 combat advantage) instead of +6 but I would still probably play it. I realize a lot of classes have action point bonuses like that, but wizards (at least in PH1) have the best aoe attacks to go with it.

The warlock idea works nice too, as a minion slayer. Warlocks with fey touched paragon gain slashing wake, which means they deal damage every time they teleport. Then they can somehow, and forgive me for not knowing the build at the moment, get it so when they kill things they get to teleport which basically means that they are minion killing machines.