PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Variant (No mount) please critique!

andromax
2010-02-10, 07:10 PM
Okay so I saw the Holy Shield feat on a paladin revamp here. http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Paladin,_Tome_%283.5e_Class%29#Holy_Shield on another site, and thought it was kinda cool, but a little too good to get for free, so I decided to make an ACF out of it instead!

My primary reason for this, is that most paladin builds are all about getting huge crits stacking spirited charge with valorous lances etc to deal mega damage. While not nearly as a offensively oriented or capable, this variant gives you a few more choices, which is always fun!

My cleric/pal/ordained champ/warblade has taken couple feats to go along with this, such as improved shield bash and agile shield fighter, strong arm bracers to optimize,as best as I can :smalltongue: , the shield bashing fighting style.

Here's what I have so far. I'm calling it Northwind Order Paladin variant.

Due to the nature of the character's order, Northwind Order of Knights primarily focus on shields, and not using mounts;

Substituted Mounted Combat pre-req for Shield Specialization, and Ride with survival (I got it with cleric war domain but thats up to you) to enter Prestige Paladin. This variant does not have ride as a class skill, but instead survival.

Holy Shield; may be taken as an alternate class feature for paladins, in lieu of special mount.
pre-req; Shield Specialization

Instead of gaining special mount as a normal paladin - a Northwind Paladin may instead call upon his Sacred Order to imbue his shield with divine protection. In order for the shield to be eligible to use for this ability, the paladin must be proficient with and specialized in, as well as the rightful owner of, and have had possession of the shield for 24 hours.

Holy shield substitutes DEX bonus to AC for CHA bonus while the shield is held in the Paladin's hand. Holy Shields cannot be animated or otherwise used without being held. When active, your armor or body glows with divine light (or a profane aura) in a radius of 5 feet. The bonus provided by Holy Shield is fully effective against incorporeal creatures and counts towards touch AC. If you are denied your DEX bonus against corporeal creatures, you may not apply your Holy Shield bonus. The shield's energy is treated as holy, and also allows it to inflict damage on a shield bash as if it were one size category larger for 1 attack per round.

Activation;
As a full round action, a number of times per day equal to the her Charisma modifier, (min 1) the paladin may yell out a sacred battle cry lifting his Shield up above his head. The paladin loses his normal shield bonus for this round. Improved Shield bash negates this penalty. A bright column of light illuminates the paladin in a 10' radius burst. The effect occurs immediately on the paladin's Shield and remains for up to 1 hour per paladin level. (Prestige Paladins may add +3 to their paladin level, as per their special mount feature) This action provokes attacks of opportunity. Additional uses above what her charisma allows, may be activated, but cost 2 turn undead attempts.

You may combine a Turn (or Rebuke) Undead attempt as a free action while summoning Holy Shield to cause 2d6 points of damage to undead creatures within this 10' burst.

The hardness and hit points of the paladin's shield improves also;PAL HD 5-7; as if it were a +2 Adamantine shield; (hardness of 24 and HP of 60. If the durability of the paladin's shield are already higher than that, the durability is not further improved.

Holy Shield Bash

A Northwind Order paladin may use turn undead attempts as a swift action to channel special attacks through their holy shield, once every 5 rounds.

As the paladin gains levels, he may channel more energy though his shield. A paladin may select a number of +1 properties, congruent with his alignment, that his shield as a weapon is capable of channeling, equal to half his Paladin Hit Die rounded down (a 5th lvl paladin may select 2). Maximum of 5.

Example;
Divine Wrath. A paladin may launch an attack upon undead creatures with his shield as though it were enchanted with the Divine Wrath property. (MiC pg33) Once this ability is used, even if it misses, the paladin will be unable to focus another Holy Shield Bash until the end of 5 rounds, while the shield regenerates its offensive capabilities.

Brutal Surge. (another option)

I was thinking of making a specific list of properties that could be chosen from, ideas?

Should the paladin’s Holy Shield be destroyed or lost, the effect immediately disappears. The paladin may not summon another Holy Shield for thirty days or until she gains a paladin level, whichever comes first, even if the shield is repaired or recovered. During this thirty-day period, the paladin takes a –1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls.

Also, I know that divine armor is better, but you'd have to take 2 other feats to get it, and could still be used to give you your total dex mod back.
What do you think? Ideas suggestions?

Roderick_BR
2010-02-10, 07:43 PM
Not really that strong. It's a permanent Divine Shield (complete warrior, I think, cha ADDED to the shield's bonus) with Shield Ward (PHB 2, shield count against touch attacks).
Paladin's not really that strong, so a bonus with shields would be nice. If you feel it's too strong, replace divine grace with it, with a permanent effect (instead of a number of times day). Mount is too much stronger and better than a shield bonus.

andromax
2010-02-10, 07:57 PM
Yeah I know about divine shield, which I addressed ( i mistakenly called it divine armor). It's not supposed to be equally as good or better than special mount, just another option for paladins that don't want to use a special mount.

I don't think replacing diving grace would be appropriate, thats my favorite paladin ability :)

I agree that a special mount is still better, as well as divine shield, but the nice thing about this ACF is that you can give up your horse, which may or may not be much of a sacrifice to you, and gain some better protection and cool shield bashing options.

With that in mind, what sorts of things could be tweaked and cleaned up? :smallsmile:

andromax
2010-02-11, 05:29 PM
anyone have any input?

Ponce
2010-02-12, 11:48 AM
Most people would rather take Charging Smite, in my opinion.

Also the Paladin linked to is hilariously bad.