PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt cheese?

Tao the Ninja
2010-02-10, 09:23 PM
My Dm is allowing me to use gestalt in a 3.5 campaign. Is it rude to use cheese in an unoptimised party (healbot, blaster, ect.)? I'm talking wizard-cleric 3/ Ultimate Magus (using alacrituous cognition to qualify and double-advance wizard)-Mystic Theurge X

Demons_eye
2010-02-10, 09:24 PM
My Dm is allowing me to use gestalt in a 3.5 campaign. Is it rude to use cheese in an unoptimised party (healbot, blaster, ect.)? I'm talking wizard-cleric 3/ Ultimate Magus (using alacrituous cognition to qualify and double-advance wizard)-Mystic Theurge X

You can't use dual class progression PcR in Gestalt, or so they say.

Riffington
2010-02-10, 09:24 PM

You can't use ultimate magus or mystic theurge in gestalt.
Cheese varies more on the campaign than on the system, of course.

RebelRogue
2010-02-10, 09:31 PM
Even if these classes are allowed, you will only gain one level of, say, wizard casting at a level where each side of your gestalt provides advancement in the class.

Glimbur
2010-02-10, 09:37 PM
It's rude to overshadow the other characters and make them feel less than helpful. The easiest way to overshadow them is to play above their optimization level and not control yourself. A summoner wizard or an optimized blaster wizard can make the barbarian and rogue feel useless. A transmuter who casts Haste and Snake's Swiftness and other buffs on party members... if you spin it right they feel like they're saving the day.

Superglucose
2010-02-10, 09:44 PM
Exactly. Even Battlefield Control wizards do a good job in newer parties. They gleefully describe smacking the crap out of the blinded, deaf, dumb, int 0, str 0, dex 0, prone, and unconscious enemies feeling like they're playing the part. Just be sure to step back and never let loose the maniacal cackles or call attention to the fact that you've made the enemies so that they're roughly a fair challenge for a hamster.

Swooper
2010-02-10, 09:48 PM
Even if these classes are allowed, you will only gain one level of, say, wizard casting at a level where each side of your gestalt provides advancement in the class.
Yes, but with a dual-advancement class allowed in gestalt he could have something like wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 7/Arcane Hierophant 10//druid 3/psion 17 - and that's without using evil things like ur-priest and beholder mage.

That said: OP, don't use a cheesy build in a non-optimized group. Everyone will have more fun if you all stay around the same powerlevel. Be useful without being obviously more powerful than they are.

Zincorium
2010-02-10, 09:50 PM

So, you're asking if it would be okay to violate one of the few stated guidelines for gestalt play, and get three levels of wizard spellcasting for each character level?

You can't beat the DM, you can only outshine the other players, so even if you are allowed to, it's rude, yeah.

Plus, it's missing out on the really cool stuff you can do in gestalt- other than sheer power, this isn't any more interesting mechanically than a regular dual-casting build, and it doesn't enable any additional concepts that mystic theurge doesn't already.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-02-10, 09:55 PM
Use all the cheese and dual-progression classes you want, but make sure your final power is appropriate. Play like a D&D analogue to Johnny. (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b)