PDA

View Full Version : Belkar's Animal Companion?

Ryerbiar
2010-02-10, 11:28 PM
There is one question about our favorite psychopathic chaotic evil halfling that has always made me wonder...did Belkar ever have an animal companion? I mean, I can't imagine he's only a 3rd level ranger, he had to have gotten an animal companion at some point. So, what happened to it?

Does any of the bonus strips from the books explain if he ever had one?

Did he kill it for some reason?
Did he just forget it's existence? (like V's Familiar)
Or did it realize it wasn't going to live a long life with a pycho halfling as a master and just ran away?

jlvm4
2010-02-10, 11:33 PM
why did he have to get an animal companion? I know I'm a few editions behind, but I thought that would be a choice on his part, not a compulsion.

Sides, Belkar is an animal. Could he be his own companion?:smallbiggrin:

Agi Hammerthief
2010-02-10, 11:38 PM
does Mr. Scruffy count?

Red XIV
2010-02-10, 11:41 PM
Belkar's ignorance of his own class features has come up in the past. He probably never had any idea that he could get an animal companion.

He has one now, though.

Eurus
2010-02-10, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I always assumed Mr. Scruffy was his companion. Which admittedly begs the question of why he didn't have one earlier, or what happened to it if he did, but maybe he could never find an animal intelligent, chaotic, and bloodthirsty enough? :smallbiggrin:

jlvm4
2010-02-10, 11:51 PM
One Word: BUNKAR!

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-11, 12:07 AM
Belkar hasn't really cared enough about anyone but himself in the past to have an animal companion, that's why him having Mr Scruffy was such a breakthrough.

Liwen
2010-02-11, 12:19 AM
Prior to his adoption of Mr. Scruffy, there is no indication that Belkar ever had an animal companion, or that he was even aware he could have one. Given the way Mr. Scruffy acts in battle, it's become clear in my mind that our favorite house cat is now a class feature, however Belkar is likely to still be unaware of this, which makes the whole ordeal even more amusing.

Over the course of the entire comic, Belkar has proven many times he doesn't know much about the ranger class. He had no idea the class allowed spell casting (most probably because he lacks the wisdom to cast spells anyway). He seems to know he has the track feat, but as yet to put points into the survival skill, making the feat useless. Many players I've known will argue that building a melee ranger is a far inferior option to building it has an archer, but these players are power gamers, and seek to maximize combat effectiveness over everything else, often neglecting the role playing element of the game. Beside, Melee rangers aren't all that bad.

Overall, Belkar is far from being optimized. He does however have something of far greater value : Awesomeness. He's stylish, he's loved by the audience, he's funny and he's a psychopath. What more could you ask :smallbiggrin:

slayerx
2010-02-11, 12:27 AM
No he hasn't... Belkar has been quite ignorant of his class abilities...
it seems the only ones he ever payed attention to was the two weapon fighting, and the hiding skills... evasion sort of counts aswell (he didn't know about it originally, but does have it)

Animal companion, tracking and the Divine casting abilities are all skills that Belkar has never really used, invested time into and knew he could be taking advantage of.

drengnikrafe
2010-02-11, 12:36 AM
No he hasn't... Belkar has been quite ignorant of his class abilities...
it seems the only ones he ever payed attention to was the two weapon fighting, and the hiding skills... evasion sort of counts aswell (he didn't know about it originally, but does have it)

Animal companion, tracking and the Divine casting abilities are all skills that Belkar has never really used, invested time into and knew he could be taking advantage of.

He took a level in barbarian, right? Isn't he totally ignoring rage, too? I mean, sure, you could say he's raging all the time, but rage comes with a penalty afterwards.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-02-11, 01:07 AM
He took a level in barbarian, right? Isn't he totally ignoring rage, too? I mean, sure, you could say he's raging all the time, but rage comes with a penalty afterwards.

off panel rage result in the last panel?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0685.html

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 01:49 AM
does Mr. Scruffy count?

I believe that's the main theory going around these threads. Belkar is high enough level to have an animal companion too. He has evasion and rangers get that level 9(?) which is after they can get animal companions.

factotum
2010-02-11, 02:26 AM

Afterwards is generally after the battle, and we wouldn't know about the penalty then because there's no fighting anymore! For all we know, that's why Belkar chose to use the Eye of Fear and Flame to kill hobboes at Azure City--because his rage had ended and it was the most efficient way to kill them.

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-11, 02:30 AM
Could this have been a rage? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0439.html)

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 02:58 AM
Could this have been a rage? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0439.html)

It's kind of hard to discern a rage. The giant should have Belkar announce it like Yor does when he attacks.

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-11, 03:02 AM
The Sexy Shoeless God of War sure does LOOK LIKE a rage, and Roy does refer here to a violent rampage (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0687.html).

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 03:12 AM
The Sexy Shoeless God of War sure does LOOK LIKE a rage, and Roy does refer here to a violent rampage (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0687.html).

Again we can't be sure if it's a rage. Despite the fact Belkar killed them extremely well that does not constitute a rage. Roy - a fighter - can kill people equally - if not certainly better - and he CAN'T rage.

The Demented One
2010-02-11, 03:14 AM
Again we can't be sure if it's a rage. Despite the fact Belkar killed them extremely well that does not constitute a rage. Roy - a fighter - can kill people equally - if not certainly better - and he CAN'T rage.
Given the way it's presented, I think it's pretty obviously meant to be a rage.

Also, Mr. Scruffy is definitely Belkar's animal companion. It's the only one he could be of any use in combat.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 03:17 AM
Given the way it's presented, I think it's pretty obviously meant to be a rage.

We can only assume. Roy's attacked people we he was extremely irritated (you broke my sword (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0114.html)).

Vargtass
2010-02-11, 03:57 AM
Mr Scruffy is Belkar's Animal Companion. This is proven by him giving orders to Mr Scruffy that are obeyed. This could be done by Animal handling skill, but Animal handling can only be used trained, and bonus strips in No Cure for the Paladin Blues show that Belkar does not have Animal handling.

This, and other interesting stuff on the character's capabilities are discussed at length in the Class & Level Geekery thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131219)!

Sky-Moon
2010-02-11, 04:21 AM
Afterwards is generally after the battle, and we wouldn't know about the penalty then because there's no fighting anymore! For all we know, that's why Belkar chose to use the Eye of Fear and Flame to kill hobboes at Azure City--because his rage had ended and it was the most efficient way to kill them.

Mark of Justice.

Kish
2010-02-11, 05:52 AM
Beside, Melee rangers aren't all that bad.
Besides, in 3.0 Belkar didn't have a choice.

Kyronea
2010-02-11, 05:59 AM
Melee rangers are indeed not that bad at all. I've got one in the current campaign I'm playing in, and she's on track to become a Blackguard. (A very effective one at that. Our GM decided to randomly pit us against a Flesh Golem (CR 7) when our average level was six (and I was fifth level!) and since we won--barely--I got a neato shortsword +5 for my offhand weapon.)

factotum
2010-02-11, 07:20 AM

Mark of Justice.

In strip #450 Belkar is quite clearly using the EoFaF to kill hobgoblins while still outside the boundaries of Azure City.

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-11, 08:31 AM
Isn't he totally ignoring rage, too?

When is belkar NOT in a rage?

Morthis
2010-02-11, 08:37 AM
In strip #450 Belkar is quite clearly using the EoFaF to kill hobgoblins while still outside the boundaries of Azure City.

Odds are it's because a fireball is much better at clearing hordes of weak enemies though. The penalty after rage ends is hardly worth mentioning when fighting weak goblins like that.

Scarlet Knight
2010-02-11, 09:36 AM
Our GM decided to randomly pit us against a Flesh Golem (CR 7) when our average level was six (and I was fifth level!) and since we won--barely--I got a neato shortsword +5 for my offhand weapon.)

A 5th level ranger... with a +5 weapon... in her OFF-hand? What are you welding as your primary? The Sword of Kos?
:smallcool:

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-11, 12:06 PM
ive often thought the Belkar and Haily actually had their class names revered by the giant for some reasion. as Rogue's usually go into battle with two daggers, and rangers usually go into battle with a bow.

am i right about the rogue thing? im still new to D&D, and only know Rogue's useing dual daggers from WoW.

Forbiddenwar
2010-02-11, 12:19 PM
ive often thought the Belkar and Haily actually had their class names revered by the giant for some reasion. as Rogue's usually go into battle with two daggers, and rangers usually go into battle with a bow.

am i right about the rogue thing? im still new to D&D, and only know Rogue's useing dual daggers from WoW.

Rogues cannot dual weild anything in D&D without massive penalties and/or using all their feats just to do it.

Asta Kask
2010-02-11, 12:36 PM
A 5th level ranger... with a +5 weapon... in her OFF-hand? What are you welding as your primary? The Sword of Kos?
:smallcool:

It is possible you mean the Sword of Kas, which is a powerful artefact. The Sword of Kos allows you to travel to Greek islands.

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-11, 02:01 PM
Rogues cannot dual weild anything in D&D without massive penalties and/or using all their feats just to do it.

ok then, so what DO rogues usually use?

slayerx
2010-02-11, 02:39 PM
For all we know, that's why Belkar chose to use the Eye of Fear and Flame to kill hobboes at Azure City--because his rage had ended and it was the most efficient way to kill them.

Knowing Belkar...
the ONLY reason he chose to use fireballs to kill hobgoblins was because he thought flaming hobbos was funny

Hell i doubt he's even aware that rage has negative side effects

veti
2010-02-11, 03:15 PM
Before Mr Scruffy came into his life, there was one occasion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0140.html) when Belkar did at least try to get an animal companion. (He didn't phrase it that way, but that's surely what he was thinking.)

To this day he's never used the words "Animal Companion", but Mr Scruffy is an animal and he's definitely Belkar's companion... what more exactly does it take?

Spirited Charge
2010-02-11, 03:47 PM
When it comes to forgetting class abilities, Belkar isn't the only one. Thog only used his rage class ability once and that was when Elan egged him on.

On that ocassion his skin also turned green. I know that it (and the purple pants) was a reference to the Hulk, but could the color change also be the key to seeing a true rage? If that were true, then Belkar has yet to actually use that ability too.

Asta Kask
2010-02-11, 03:52 PM
ok then, so what DO rogues usually use?

A sword of some kind.

Snake-Aes
2010-02-11, 03:54 PM
When it comes to forgetting class abilities, Belkar isn't the only one. Thog only used his rage class ability once and that was when Elan egged him on.

On that ocassion his skin also turned green. I know that it (and the purple pants) was a reference to the Hulk, but could the color change also be the key to seeing a true rage? If that were true, then Belkar has yet to actually use that ability too.

Makes an insane amount of sense, actually. The only time Belkar even mentioned rage in combat was against the hex witch hag thingie, and he didn't pant at all, instead he went "who's bad" over it.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-02-11, 04:50 PM

So if Belkar raged, he would turn green and immediately start stabbing himself and trying to take his own stuff?

Ranger Mattos
2010-02-11, 06:30 PM
Makes an insane amount of sense, actually. The only time Belkar even mentioned rage in combat was against the hex witch hag thingie, and he didn't pant at all, instead he went "who's bad" over it.

Halfling Rage Jump Attack! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html)

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-11, 09:33 PM
A sword of some kind.

arrige but what kind of sword? one hand? two hand? raiper, broad, short?

Lvl45DM!
2010-02-12, 12:32 AM
This isnt Wow. Rogues can use any weapon they want. Swords are favored cos usually swords tend to the highest damage output, and are badass. But a rogue can use a bow, knives bows...any simple weapon and a few bonus weapons like short sword

Zevox
2010-02-12, 12:42 AM
arrige but what kind of sword? one hand? two hand? raiper, broad, short?
Rogues are proficient with shortswords, rapiers, saps, and simple weapons (daggers, maces, morningstar, spears, and a few others) for melee weapons. The shortsword or rapier tend to be the melee weapon of choice for a vanilla Rogue.

Zevox

Agi Hammerthief
2010-02-12, 01:48 AM
Halfling Rage Jump Attack! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html)
was that AFTER he took a level as BBN?

factotum
2010-02-12, 02:20 AM
Rogues are proficient with shortswords, rapiers, saps, and simple weapons (daggers, maces, morningstar, spears, and a few others) for melee weapons.

Note that the Rogues we see most of actually tend to use fairly unusual weapons. Haley uses a longbow and Bozzok appears to favour the bastard sword--both would need to burn a feat to be able to use those weapons. Crystal's choice of weapon is more typical for a Rogue (although she's an Assassin, which complicates things :smallsmile:).

Tiktakkat
2010-02-12, 02:59 AM
No, no, no.

Mr. Scruffy is an awakened cat, who just pretends he cannot speak Common. (Or whatever they speak in the OotS world.)
He hangs out with Belkar because Belkar provides him a steady source of food, plus the occasional battle. (Mr. Scruffy is a sexy, furry, deity of war.)

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-02-12, 06:42 AM
If Mr. Scruffy wouldn't have been his animal companion, he couldn't have throw it to scratch Miko's face to break her concentration, as the damage input of a normal cat is so low that it wouldn't be difficult to roll a saving check.

Cisturn
2010-02-16, 06:38 PM
If Mr. Scruffy wouldn't have been his animal companion, he couldn't have throw it to scratch Miko's face to break her concentration, as the damage input of a normal cat is so low that it wouldn't be difficult to roll a saving check.

do you mean Tsukiko?

Kish
2010-02-16, 06:41 PM

do you mean Tsukiko?

You do a quote like this.If you were wondering.

Besyanteo
2010-02-20, 12:50 AM
was that AFTER he took a level as BBN?

Yes, yes it was. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html) :smallcool:

warrl
2010-02-22, 12:35 AM
I have a suspicion that Mr. Scruffy is something very much other than Belkar's Animal Companion.

But it's only a suspicion.

IF the suspicion is correct, then every argument for Mr. Scruffy being an Animal Companion is based on an assumption that will be proven false.

brionl
2010-02-22, 01:08 AM
Note that the Rogues we see most of actually tend to use fairly unusual weapons. Haley uses a longbow and Bozzok appears to favour the bastard sword--both would need to burn a feat to be able to use those weapons. Crystal's choice of weapon is more typical for a Rogue (although she's an Assassin, which complicates things :smallsmile:).

Didn't Bozzok take a couple levels of fighter?

Agi Hammerthief
2010-02-22, 05:15 AM
Yes, yes it was. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0132.html) :smallcool:

gosh that's along time ago

I have a suspicion that Mr. Scruffy is something very much other than Belkar's Animal Companion.

But it's only a suspicion.

IF the suspicion is correct, then every argument for Mr. Scruffy being an Animal Companion is based on an assumption that will be proven false.
the assumption that Mr. Scruffy is following and listening to Belkar?and not receiving instructions from a Noble(NPC Class) "non-Paladin" wouldn't be resurrected old dude