PDA

View Full Version : A request. Atonement for Paladins. 3.5

Mystic Muse
2010-02-11, 01:54 AM
Okay. I would like somebody to make a feat that would allow Paladins to use the spell atonement. I want it to be fairly well balanced so that my DM has a chance of allowing it. I'd also like it to be available by level 12 if possible. I'd actually prefer it to be an SLA that took more experience than Atonement rather than a spell slot if possible.

(I'm hoping requests are allowed.)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-11, 02:10 AM
Honestly? This one is easy.

Good Will Out
Your goodness is such that, no matter the transgression, you will return to the path of righteousness in time.
Prerequisites: Any Good Alignment
Benefit: If your alignment ever shifts to Neutral or Evil (unless you intended it by committing an evil act for the act's own sake, rather than for the good benefits that may have arisen from it) you may immediately gain the benefits of an atonement spell after spending 24 hours in constant prayer. This spell requires no XP expenditure.

Balanced due to the specific nature of the feat, and the specific nature of the evil deeds cleansed. I don't think it would have a level requirement.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-11, 02:12 AM
Not quitewhat I meant. sorry. I meant that I wanted a way for the Paladin to use atonement on others

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-11, 02:16 AM
Not quitewhat I meant. sorry. I meant that I wanted a way for the Paladin to use atonement on others

Ah. How about just houserule in the ability to use Atonement in place of Remove Disease? Or, as a feat with no prerequisite, allow you to sacrifice a use of Remove Disease to cast Atonement? In fact, given the low-power of the paladin, I'd honestly tack the following onto the feat I just made:

If you have the Paladin's Remove Disease class feature, you may expend a use of Remove Disease in order to cast Atonement. You must pay XP costs as normal for an Atonement spell cast in this manner.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-11, 02:30 AM
yeah, funny thing there. I don't actually have remove disease. The version of Paladin I'm using doesn't get it.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-11, 02:33 AM
If you're requesting a homebrew to give a standard class an ability, and you're not using the standard version of that class, it is very helpful to tell us what version you are using. :smallannoyed:

Mystic Muse
2010-02-11, 02:37 AM
apologies.:smallredface: I never thought remove disease would come up.

here's the one I'm using. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133737

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-11, 02:49 AM
No worries. Also, this makes it easier...we have a mechanic to play right into with the Lay on Hands ability. Now the ability isn't that strong, so I'm making it an Alternate Class Feature...it's not worth a Feat.

Fountain of Virtue -- Alternate Class Feature (Paladin 12)

If you choose the Fountain of Virtue class feature, you don't gain Argent Soul III at 12th level. Instead, you gain Fountain of Virtue at 12th level, Argent Soul III at 16th level, and Argent Soul IV at 20th level.

With the Fountain of Virtue class feature, you may spend 20 points of healing from your Lay on Hands class feature to cast the Atonement spell as a spell-like ability. All XP costs must be paid as normal.

Ashtagon
2010-02-11, 02:56 AM
Gift of the Martyr (Su): Beginning at 12th level, a paladin may use this ability to provide the benefits of an atonement spell to another. Doing so is a standard action, and it does not cost any experience points. In doing so, the paladin suffers a temporary fall from grace as if he had committed the acts that required an atonement in the first place. A paladin who has used this ability will normally seek out a cleric to cast an atonement spell on him. Because of the charitable nature of the paladin's act, there is no experience penalty required when a cleric later casts atonement on the paladin.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-11, 10:16 PM
No worries. Also, this makes it easier...we have a mechanic to play right into with the Lay on Hands ability. Now the ability isn't that strong, so I'm making it an Alternate Class Feature...it's not worth a Feat.

Fountain of Virtue -- Alternate Class Feature (Paladin 12)

If you choose the Fountain of Virtue class feature, you don't gain Argent Soul III at 12th level. Instead, you gain Fountain of Virtue at 12th level, Argent Soul III at 16th level, and Argent Soul IV at 20th level.

With the Fountain of Virtue class feature, you may spend 20 points of healing from your Lay on Hands class feature to cast the Atonement spell as a spell-like ability. All XP costs must be paid as normal.

I like this one.

No offense Ashtagon. I just want to be able to use this in the middle of a dungeon without screwing myself over. I also want to be able to use it more than once a dungeon.

TheLogman
2010-02-11, 10:38 PM
Wow, what are you doing in that dungeon that a Paladin or Cleric or whoever is doing terrible enough things that they need regular atonement cast on them?

Mystic Muse
2010-02-11, 10:42 PM
Not my intention.

My intention is to atone evil people. We don't actually have a Paladin/cleric other than me. we might have a monk and we have a druid but that's it.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-02-11, 10:45 PM
I can see it now ... our hero just released a Cleric, who was imprisoned in the dungeon. As a friendly favor, he asks the Cleric for a few healing spells.

Cleric: I can't.
Paladin: What do you mean you can't?
Cleric: I... I lost my powers.
Paladin: What? How?
Cleric: I had to survive... let's just say I did things no good Cleric should.
Paladin: KAAA-CHING! One Atonement coming up!
Cleric: Yay! I can heal! It's a miracle!