PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Protection against energy drain

Salt_Crow
2010-02-11, 07:00 AM
Hello all :)

I was wondering if there was any way to gain a permanent/persistent (lasting hours at a time) death ward-like effect (immunity to energy drain) without a cleric.

Any feat chain, items etc would be quite helpful.

I knew coming to Ravenloft without a divien caster was a baaad idea.

We're all ECL 16 (Strahd's got bumped up to a monstrous level, or so I heard the DM cackle) and are quite happy to spend some good chunk of money if it would prevent a repetition of yet another TPK.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-11, 07:12 AM
Hello all :)

I was wondering if there was any way to gain a permanent/persistent (lasting hours at a time) death ward-like effect (immunity to energy drain) without a cleric.

Any feat chain, items etc would be quite helpful.

I knew coming to Ravenloft without a divien caster was a baaad idea.

We're all ECL 16 (Strahd's got bumped up to a monstrous level, or so I heard the DM cackle) and are quite happy to spend some good chunk of money if it would prevent a repetition of yet another TPK.

I know there is armor that stops that stuff.
There is a scarab in DMG.

Scarab of Protection
This device appears to be a silver medallion in the shape of a beetle. If it is held for 1 round, an inscription appears on its surface letting the holder know that it is a protective device.

The scarab’s possessor gains spell resistance 20. The scarab can also absorb energy-draining attacks, death effects, and negative energy effects. Upon absorbing twelve such attacks, the scarab turns to powder and is destroyed.

Strong abjuration and necromancy; CL 18th; Craft Wondrous Item, death ward, spell resistance; Price 38,000 gp

It blocks 12 energy drains.

peacenlove
2010-02-11, 07:15 AM
Soulfire, +4 ability on armor, in book of exalted deeds.

Lapak
2010-02-11, 07:25 AM
There's a couple of incarnum soulbinds that will accomplish that - Pauldrons of Health bound to the shoulders or a Strongheart Vest bound to the heart do, and there might be others I can't recall.

If you don't want to be a meldshaper, it would take two feats and 12th level to get there - Shape Soulmeld (Pauldrons of Health) and Open Lesser Chakra (Shoulders).

Optimystik
2010-02-11, 07:29 AM
Incarnum and Soulfire, stated above, are the only permanent ways I know of to do this.

There are also feats in Libris Mortis that let you stave off negative level for rounds = your Con modifier.

lord_khaine
2010-02-11, 07:32 AM
There are also feats in Libris Mortis that let you stave off negative level for rounds = your Con modifier.

I also recall a feat that then allows you to take a save to shake off the negative levels.

Optimystik
2010-02-11, 07:36 AM
I also recall a feat that then allows you to take a save to shake off the negative levels.

Ah yes, I forgot the second one. Enduring Life and Lasting Life respectively.