PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate it when...

Moonshadow
2010-02-11, 07:42 AM
People get absolutely fanatical about a band, merely because they've heard one song played over and over and OVER AND OVER on the radio/other form of media?

Case in point - I'm sick of Owl City right now. I was introduced to them by an american friend about 5 months before every single Australian radio station stated playing Fireflies on repeat. Now I just can't stand to listen to them, simply because one song has become so over-hyped.

Does anyone else ever get like this?

Finn Solomon
2010-02-11, 07:46 AM
I work in a store, and the radio insists on playing Cheryl Cole "Fight For His Love", Chris Brown's "Crawl", Kesha's "Blah Blah Blah" and Shayne Ward's "If That's Okay With You" approximately eleven billion times in ten hours. I walk out filled with a murderous rage to slaughter all human beings.

Weimann
2010-02-11, 07:48 AM
Viva la Vida by Coldplay. First time I heard it I thought it was awesome. Fifth time it was still rockin'. 100th time... not so much.

And right after they stop looping it on the radio, a Swedish artist (Darin) makes a cover on it! I kid you not! It linked together seamlessly! I'm so freaking TIRED of that song!

Starfols
2010-02-11, 10:07 AM
I really don't mind having songs being played often on the radio. If anything, it really only makes me like the song slightly less/be less surprised about how good it is (see: viva la vida), which is the same thing that'd happen if I listened to the album over and over.

What bothers me is when people listen to a single (and only that) and then go on and on about how much they like the band :smallmad:.

Prime32
2010-02-11, 10:11 AM
Know what one annoys me? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOU8GIRUd_g)

Setra
2010-02-11, 10:22 AM

Wait, he has other songs?

WalkingTarget
2010-02-11, 11:30 AM
I came close with Evanescence when that song "My Immortal" was big.

At the time my commute time to work was an hour and at one point, as an experiment, I started hopping from one radio station to the next until I found this song playing. When it was over I'd flip through stations again until I found it again. I managed to get through the song 6 times (sequentially, like it would end on one station, then I'd go on a few and find it already in progress somewhere else) before I managed to get all the way around without running into it again.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-02-11, 01:23 PM
This doesn't really annoy me on the level that people think it should. I don't have anything against the song. It doesn't have my interest so I don't listen to it.

Mostly, the annoyance comes from the fact that you can picture people on the other end getting smug about it. Like they're clever for getting one over on you. It's infantile.

Dude, I linked him to a song they don't like. Kuh-hurr-hurr.

valadil
2010-02-11, 01:27 PM
This is why I don't listen to the radio, except as an alarm clock. And even those 5-10 minutes at 8am every morning get repetitious.

WalkingTarget
2010-02-11, 02:09 PM
This is why I don't listen to the radio, except as an alarm clock. And even those 5-10 minutes at 8am every morning get repetitious.

I've been operating off of NPR almost exclusively for a few years now. I wake up to the weather forecast and maybe a little piece of news fluff for the few seconds it takes me to get to the alarm clock. Even the time I'm usually in the car is during either Morning Edition or All Things Considered.

Texas_Ben
2010-02-11, 02:54 PM
This song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV4DiAyExN0) About 4 years ago. Now I was never a fan of that band, but ever since that debacle, I rage everytime I see or hear anything associated with them.

Obrysii
2010-02-11, 03:20 PM
This song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV4DiAyExN0) About 4 years ago. Now I was never a fan of that band, but ever since that debacle, I rage everytime I see or hear anything associated with them.

Oh my, yes. *shivers* that one still haunts me. Terrible song.

JonestheSpy
2010-02-11, 03:36 PM
Why would anyone care enough to "hate it" over why someone else decides they like a musical act? It concerns you how, exactly?

Now overplaying a song, THAT I despise. Yet another on the list of good reasons to not listen to commercial radio.

Sahaar
2010-02-11, 03:56 PM
I hate the Jonas brothers. They suck. Really. Badly. And you know what? It's always mid-teens, giggly fangirls you always see in the audiences during live stage performance shots. What does that say?

Texas_Ben
2010-02-11, 04:04 PM
Oh my, yes. *shivers* that one still haunts me. Terrible song.
One time, and I'm not making this up (though I wish I was), one radio station played it twice in a row. Another time, it was playing concurrently on four different stations.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-02-11, 04:05 PM
Eh, depends on the song. I was kind of like this with Paralyzer (Finger Eleven).

Helanna
2010-02-11, 04:06 PM
A few nights ago, my sister had the radio on. In about two hours, I think they only played about 6 songs. It drove me absolutely crazy, especially as none of them were songs I particularly liked. Just the latest pop songs . . . "Fireflies", "Tik Tok", "Bad Romance", etc.

So . . . yes.

jtpete86
2010-02-11, 04:11 PM
I listen to people all day. All of it is complaints. Not Complaint Lite or Complaint Low-Fat. :smalleek:I get 100% all out they hate me because I am the person they connect with. :smallfurious:They very last thing I want to listen to is people screaming into a microphone or someone telling me how lovely their bloody life is. If and when I listen, it is classical soft instrumental - not elevator crud - Mozart - Bach - those guys

Dr.Epic
2010-02-12, 01:16 AM
That one song by Jon Bon Jovi: You Can't Go Home or something along those lines.

reorith
2010-02-12, 01:38 AM
i find it is more efficient to hate everything all the time.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-12, 01:39 AM
i find it is more efficient to hate everything all the time.

Belkar, Black Mage, Xykon, and Richard also share that philosophy.

Kallisti
2010-02-12, 01:43 AM
And all of them are awesome, and well-loved by their multitudinous fans. Coincidence? You decide.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-02-12, 02:54 AM
Belkar? Nah, he just likes to stab stuff.

Asheram
2010-02-12, 03:14 AM

Waaaaagh!

I do loathe that song...

Voldecanter
2010-02-12, 09:18 AM
People get absolutely fanatical about a band, merely because they've heard one song played over and over and OVER AND OVER on the radio/other form of media?

Case in point - I'm sick of Owl City right now. I was introduced to them by an american friend about 5 months before every single Australian radio station stated playing Fireflies on repeat. Now I just can't stand to listen to them, simply because one song has become so over-hyped.

No , because I like music , not the popularity of the music I am listening to .

Optimystik
2010-02-12, 09:28 AM

No, because I get Pandora on my cellphone.

Richard doesn't hate anyone. He loves having all the targets around.

Lifeson
2010-02-12, 03:25 PM
Sometimes, the band is good but they never play anything else.

Example: I'd love to listen to anything Rush after Moving Pictures. I like YYZ, but I don't want to listen to Tom Sawyer AGAIN. They have good stuff on their later albums.

Likewise, Journey has a song beyond "Don't Stop Believing" and "Lights". Even Rock Band is beyond that. :smalltongue:

And finally: Dream Theater should be on the radio more often.