PDA

View Full Version : Vampire, Cha based build

kentma57
2010-02-11, 04:16 PM
So I am working on a build for one of my upcoming campaigns, a cha based socialite vampire. Named Rasputin.

The +8 LA does seem to be a bit of a problem, Now the character will be starting at level 11-12 and may have to serve as a BBEG(or justa cool NPC). I can get away with almost any book, and personly like the idea of a rogue/courtier with assassin or ninja spy as a PrC.

Have not optimized a vampire before(charisma yes, vampires no), so I am looking for any suggestions or cool tricks that you have to offer.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-11, 04:21 PM
Dip Dread Necromancer. Free healing is always nice. Other than that, I'd just go cha-based smashing. Get the stat added to everything about 3 times and you're good. Or as good as you can be with +8 LA.

Window459
2010-02-11, 04:25 PM
you do realize that if hes a npc then its one a +2 to its cr, LA only affects pc characters

kentma57
2010-02-11, 04:29 PM
Dip Dread Necromancer. Free healing is always nice. Other than that, I'd just go cha-based smashing. Get the stat added to everything about 3 times and you're good. Or as good as you can be with +8 LA.

Ah yes I remember that(the version for the living uses tomb tainted soul) though it just occured to me that I mught be able to become a drunken master. (though that is he opposite of optimization).

EDIT: let's see, in our group you can pay into skills to match what they would be if you did not have LA so that takes care of 'tumble 8 ranks'. 1st level feat gives me Greater fortitude(probably before I became undead). Monk 2 gets me the rest of the requierments...

So it looks like I'm building a Vampire "Monk 2/Drunken Master X" on the side as an awesome NPC.

Flickerdart
2010-02-11, 04:31 PM
With 8 LA, you're only going to have 4 hit dice. This is bad. I would suggest the Persuasive Vampire and Psychic Vampire variants from Libris Mortis, granting you Suggestion and WIS drain which are more subtle than Dominate and CON drain. You wouldn't be a good Bard because you won't have Glibness, so I'd advise taking Rogue or Spellthief levels. The Blackguard's or a variant Paladin's Dark Blessing is going to be great for you, since your Fort save will be in the dumps.
But yeah, as an NPC, you might even want to spring for Vampire Lord, and the CR increase won't be too bad.

Greenish
2010-02-11, 04:33 PM
"Terror Vampire" (DR348) in Crystal Keep has CR +3, LA +10, but has a bunch of SLAs and more importantly, can suppress all of it's vampiric weaknesses for (Cha mod x2 rounds / day).

Good for when you don't want everyone to know you're a vampire. Enter houses uninvited, eat garlic, cross flowing water like nothin', go out to enjoy the sun...

Of course, it's not crystal clear from your post wether this'll be a PC or an NPC.

kentma57
2010-02-11, 04:41 PM
Of course, it's not crystal clear from your post wether this'll be a PC or an NPC.

I'm not sure either, if I get a chance I will run it myself but I would happily DM over it as I pride myself on running custom build, challenging and fully stated NPC's(with my group that's usualy a good idea with my group). Plus gives me a chance to field cool but impracticle builds.

Jarveiyan
2010-02-12, 03:16 PM
Don't you need 5 hit die to become a vampire instead of vampire spawn?

KillianHawkeye
2010-02-13, 12:50 PM
Don't you need 5 hit die to become a vampire instead of vampire spawn?

Yes, you do.

Soranar
2010-02-13, 01:01 PM
Paladin of Tyranny level 4

you add your Cha to saves (main problem of undead)
you lower everyones saves by 2 (which helps every ability you have)
you gain deadly touch (heals undead)

Mystic Muse
2010-02-13, 01:06 PM
So wait, is this based off of the fox movie Anastasia or the real life Rasputin?
Or do you not actually know who either of those are?

kentma57
2010-02-13, 06:12 PM
So wait, is this based off of the fox movie Anastasia or the real life Rasputin?
Or do you not actually know who either of those are?

Well we all know how much it took to 'kill' Rasputin, I figure the theory that he was a vampire would play out well in a D&D game. So yes the real life Rasputin.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-13, 07:40 PM
Well we all know how much it took to 'kill' Rasputin, I figure the theory that he was a vampire would play out well in a D&D game. So yes the real life Rasputin.

I suggest you read the webcomic Locus (http://www.needcomics.com/Locus/page/2/), Rasputin actually has some importance in backstory.

Anyway, Something like this wouldn't be practical as a PC I think. Drop to 0 hitpoints and you turn to mist, have a set timeperiod to reach your coffin, then lay there insensate for an hour. Plus that huge LA would mean you'd be only 5th level, while the party is what, 13th?
As an NPC, it would be much more effective. Only has a CR +2 to make it a more balanced encounter. Does someone have a link to Person Man's "X stat to Y bonus"?

kentma57
2010-02-15, 11:54 PM
I suggest you read the webcomic Locus (http://www.needcomics.com/Locus/page/2/), Rasputin actually has some importance in backstory.

Anyway, Something like this wouldn't be practical as a PC I think. Drop to 0 hitpoints and you turn to mist, have a set timeperiod to reach your coffin, then lay there insensate for an hour. Plus that huge LA would mean you'd be only 5th level, while the party is what, 13th?
As an NPC, it would be much more effective. Only has a CR +2 to make it a more balanced encounter. Does someone have a link to Person Man's "X stat to Y bonus"?

I know what you mean, I have seen a vampire as a PC before it was... less than optimal.This guy will probably end up as an NPC.
ps: I do have a link to the "X stat to Y bonus" page.