PDA

View Full Version : Races you never see as vampires

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-11, 04:37 PM
A thought occurs to me. Almost every vampire I've come into contact with was either a Human or an Elf (and several gnomes in second edition but the DM of that game is an ******* who likes to take away everything you like about your character)

Has there ever been an instance of an orcish vampire? It's possible yet, but has anyone ever seen it. I think it might make a cool villain, and he has other monsterous creatures as thralls, Minotaurs, Harpies, Ogres, all given the vampire template. Any ideas on what else to use in keeping with this theme?

Flickerdart
2010-02-11, 04:43 PM
If you could get Vampire on a Dire Weasel somehow, it'd be a CON-draining machine of awesomeness.

Touchy
2010-02-11, 04:44 PM
If you could get Vampire on a Dire Weasel somehow, it'd be a CON-draining machine of awesomeness.

Kobolds use dire weasels as mounts.

Feeling like I should point this out.

Flickerdart
2010-02-11, 04:46 PM
Kobolds use dire weasels as mounts.

Feeling like I should point this out.
Yeah, but a Kobold is a shoddy grappler. It could never pin anything.

Dienekes
2010-02-11, 04:46 PM
I have only ever had 1 vampire in my games, it was a gargoyle so maybe that would count.

Swordgleam
2010-02-11, 04:51 PM
I think the logic, such as it is, goes like this: The original vampires were high-cha. Vampires come from other vampires. Vampires like being exclusive and pretty. Therefore, only high-cha creatures will end up being vampires.

So you have to ask, if there is an ogre vampire in my game, where does it come from?

Of course, that question can lead to a lot of very cool answers. Maybe a rogue vampire hates the elitist jerk vampires and is trying to turn as many ugly creatures as he can. Maybe an elitist jerk vampire wanted some dumb muscle that would last a bit longer than an average ogre lifetime, forged some very strong chains, turned an ogre, and hoped for the best. Maybe the ogre was a vampire hunter who somehow got turned in the midst of a fight that went horribly wrong.

Flickerdart
2010-02-11, 04:52 PM
Or a vampire just got hungry in a forest.

Bibliomancer
2010-02-11, 04:54 PM
Or a vampire just got hungry in a forest.

Interestingly, vampiric replication is a case where finishing the meal is messier than leaving leftovers.

Greenish
2010-02-11, 04:54 PM
Ogres, all given the vampire template.Hello, I'm here to pick nits. Ogres are Giants, so normal vampire template can't be applied to them by RAW.

I'd love me some reptilian vampires though, such as lizardfolk or trogdolytes. :smallwink:

Centaur vampire would be rather good at grappling, too.

Ormagoden
2010-02-11, 04:56 PM

I think that's alot nastier than you realize.

If Dire weasels hit with a bite they automatically deal bite damage every round until they are removed.

Where it gets epic is when there is more than one attacking you. It's a full round action to remove an attached weasel. You can only remove one a turn. Mean while you're not dealing any damage to them and they are draining your Con.

A couple of advanced dire weasels would be very very nice.

For fun...I'd fluff them as dire squirrels.

Swordgleam
2010-02-11, 04:56 PM
I'd love me some reptilian vampires though, such as lizardfolk or trogdolytes. :smallwink:

So if you're a race that normally has fangs and you end up a vampire, do you get even fang-ier? I think there should be some kind of mathematical rule for it. Like, your canines get 60% bigger when you become a vampire. Just because it would quickly get silly, but in the best way possible.

Flickerdart
2010-02-11, 04:57 PM
So if you're a race that normally has fangs and you end up a vampire, do you get even fang-ier? I think there should be some kind of mathematical rule for it. Like, your canines get 60% bigger when you become a vampire. Just because it would quickly get silly, but in the best way possible.
You'd get another row of teeth, like a shark.

Prime32
2010-02-11, 04:58 PM
Vampire razor boar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/razorBoar.htm) anyone?
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images//mm2_gallery/88268_620_106.jpg

Eldan
2010-02-11, 05:01 PM
Does the Grey Prince in Oblivion count as an ork vampire?

Anyway. I've never seen a goblin vampire.

oxybe
2010-02-11, 05:01 PM
mongrelfolk?

Swordgleam
2010-02-11, 05:03 PM
Vampire razor boar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/razorBoar.htm) anyone?

I want to see a bard with a lyre made out of that thing's tusks. They're the right size.

Totally Guy
2010-02-11, 05:03 PM
I had a Vampire Queen Bee in the first ever session I GMed.

The party fought undead bees. And waded through undead honey. The Queen Bee couldn't move... she relied on the undead bees to provide the blood to her.

So the level 1 party was still ok.

Edit: Before you take my ingenious idea for yourself be aware that somebody in your group will say "Zom-bees, lol!" and nobody will that the scenario seriously.

Asheram
2010-02-11, 05:04 PM
mongrelfolk?

Good lord... I can't imagine the vampire that'd bite such a thing. I believe they'd rather starve.

I want to see a bard with a lyre made out of that thing's tusks. They're the right size.

I think you could acually make a whole harp out of them

Mongoose87
2010-02-11, 05:11 PM
You never see Tanar'ri vampires, for some reason...

hamishspence
2010-02-11, 05:13 PM
A version of the Vampire template that can be applied to more exotic creatures- including animals, is in Ghostwalk

Which has a 3.5 update.

So, in theory, you could have vampire yuan-ti, or vampire wolves, or other exotic vampires.

Magnor Criol
2010-02-11, 05:16 PM
You never see Tanar'ri vampires, for some reason...

Tanar'ri are outsiders, so by RAW it can't be applied. Not that that should really stop a DM who wants to apply it.

hamishspence
2010-02-11, 05:21 PM
Even the Monstrous Vampire template I've mentioned, can't be applied to them.

Blood Fiends (Fiend Folio) are about the closest thing to "vampire demons" and their flavour text says "A blood fiend lacks the subtlety of an ordinary vampire" suggesting that they are vampires of a sort.

ondonaflash
2010-02-11, 05:23 PM
In my world, its because the Vampire stupid enough to attempt to drain a demon's blood... would die from incendiary blood.

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-11, 05:25 PM
Hello, I'm here to pick nits. Ogres are Giants, so normal vampire template can't be applied to them by RAW.
OOps, I thought that they were monstrous humanoids. And everybody is suggesting animals, but I'm going with Core Vampires, here.

The Orcish Vampire King, for lack of a better term, would have been a subject of Vol attempting to gain a foothold in the shadow marches or something, Haven't thought of the details quite yet, but I'm working on it. I'm not fond of Hags and Medusae as vampires, since they already have some decent powers themselves...Gnolls might be nice, but they'd have to take a few levels. A bunch of his orcish and half-orcish subjects would be vampires and vampire spawn.

I imagine that he would still have his Orcish mentality to build an invading mongrel horde. I like the Troglodyte idea.

hewhosaysfish
2010-02-11, 05:46 PM
What about Vampire Dwarves? Or Vampire Halflings? Would the 'ankle-biter' jokes get too repetitive?

AslanCross
2010-02-11, 05:47 PM
Goblinoid vampires FTW. A vampiric blue psion would be interesting.

What about a Minotaur vampire? That's a monstrous humanoid. Interestingly enough, the War Troll from MM3 is not a Giant, but a Monstrous Humanoid. A vampiric War Troll would be a horrific foe (although it would lose Regeneration due to lack of a Con score).

Greenish
2010-02-11, 05:49 PM
What about Vampire Dwarves?Biting a dwarf would net you a mouthful of beard.

Demons_eye
2010-02-11, 05:50 PM
We befriended a vampire named Orcy McOrc-Orc in one of our late games. Can you guess the race?

Smeggedoff
2010-02-11, 05:54 PM
There's a toned down Bugbear Vampire in the Shackled City Campaign.

He's turned up twice and both times the party cleric has ashed him in a single round.

*grumble*stupid sun domain*grumble*

Starscream
2010-02-11, 06:27 PM
There's a specific template in Draconomicon that lets you turn any adult creature of the Dragon type into a vampire. Simply apply the Half Dragon template first, and now any living corporeal creature is allowed to become one.

Hmmm...half dragon vampiric Balor. Sounds like a scream.

SaintRidley
2010-02-11, 06:31 PM
Vampiric dragons from the Draconomicon.

Vampiric Mind Flayers from Lords of Madness.

Both interesting twists. Makes me want to see a Beholder vampire.

Falconer
2010-02-11, 06:36 PM
What about a Minotaur vampire? That's a monstrous humanoid.

Ask, and thou shalt receive.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs8/i/2005/354/a/6/Minotaur_by_Freakeden.jpg

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-11, 06:44 PM
A Daybreakers campaign- every NPC in the game (possibly monsters too) is given the vampire template. Sounds silly but just imagine the impact on the actual gaming world...and how little traffic there would be in the daytime!

Greenish
2010-02-11, 07:01 PM
A Daybreakers campaign- every NPC in the game (possibly monsters too) is given the vampire template. Sounds silly but just imagine the impact on the actual gaming world...and how little traffic there would be in the daytime!What would they eat?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-02-11, 07:04 PM
Unadulterated Game Master Fiat.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-11, 07:35 PM
Vampire warforged (viable or not, you've got to admit this is cool).

I've always wanted a vampleganger.

Vampire anthropomorphic weasels, anyone?

And for a twist of lemon, what about vampire fruits and veggies? SQUASH. Bunnicula!

Drakevarg
2010-02-11, 07:38 PM
Does the Grey Prince in Oblivion count as an ork vampire?

Anyway. I've never seen a goblin vampire.

The Grey Prince was a half-Vampire. They have a template for that in Libris Mortis.

comicshorse
2010-02-11, 07:39 PM
In a Warhammer game we encountered a Skaven clan that had been vampirized. Vampire Skaven are a problem, Vampire Rat Ogres are a major nightmare !

oxybe
2010-02-11, 07:47 PM
Vampire warforged (viable or not, you've got to admit this is cool).

I've always wanted a vampleganger.

Vampire anthropomorphic weasels, anyone?

And for a twist of lemon, what about vampire fruits and veggies? SQUASH. Bunnicula!

we once had "wight bread". it involved a monsterous party (one of which is a wight) in their mid-teens, a demiplane bordering the plane of chaos and screaming eyeball-bread.

Dimers
2010-02-11, 07:50 PM

Sabretooth vampires. :smallsmile:

There's a specific template in Draconomicon that lets you turn any adult creature of the Dragon type into a vampire. Simply apply the Half Dragon template first, and now any living corporeal creature is allowed to become one.

Vampiric treant! Ooh, ooh, no -- vampiric gibbering mouther! :smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2010-02-11, 08:08 PM

Thread won, thanks for playing

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-11, 08:38 PM

Dude, just...dude!

flabort
2010-02-11, 09:00 PM
Awsome.... now, I know minotaurs are bulls given man's form, and centaurs are a man, with a horse's body and legs were it's legs would go. Therefore, a minotaur, being of man's form, may be given a horse's body and legs, making either a cenotaur, or mintaur, depending on how you want to combine the names.

Now, apply the vampiric template to THAT. The strength of a minotaur, the speed of a centaur, and the bite and ability to turn into a bat, of a vampire.
Seriously. Vampires have the ability to turn into a bat, and even your run-of-the-mill vampire minotaurs and vampire centaurs can do that. a minotaur, and a half-horse turning into a bat.

I wonder if the minotaur would retain it's horns while a bat? maybe the centaur would turn into a bat with extra legs... and the cenotaur would be just rediculous.

Splendor
2010-02-11, 09:29 PM
AD&D Ravenloft vampires...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/LordSplendor/Vampires.jpg

Drakevarg
2010-02-11, 09:36 PM
I am overwhelmed by the desire to punt the vamp-hobbit.

Inhuman Bot
2010-02-11, 09:36 PM
We befriended a vampire named Orcy McOrc-Orc in one of our late games. Can you guess the race?

Gnome? :smallconfused:

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-11, 09:39 PM
AD&D Ravenloft vampires...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/LordSplendor/Vampires.jpgIs it just me, or does the kenderpire scare everyone else even more than the flayerpire?

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-11, 09:40 PM
I've got it! Vampire Scorpionfolk!

Drakevarg
2010-02-11, 09:42 PM
Is it just me, or does the kenderpire scare everyone else even more than the flayerpire?

Not just you. The kender actually looks kinda badass, while the mindflayer... not so much. Maybe because he's not dressed like a particularly melodramatic goth. That, and illithid don't look very good muscular.

AgentPaper
2010-02-11, 09:42 PM
Can trolls be vampires?

KillianHawkeye
2010-02-11, 09:44 PM
I wonder if the minotaur would retain it's horns while a bat? maybe the centaur would turn into a bat with extra legs... and the cenotaur would be just rediculous.

Alternate Form doesn't work that way!

Solaris
2010-02-11, 09:45 PM
Not just you. The kender actually looks kinda badass, while the mindflayer... not so much. Maybe because he's not dressed like a particularly melodramatic goth. That, and illithid don't look very good muscular.

Definitely not just you. I'm gonna chuck in "I know what the kender personality traits are" as some evidence that we should all be very, very afraid of the kenderpire.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-02-11, 09:48 PM
How about sheep?

Seriously, first adventure I ever DM'd: PCs got attacked by vampiric sheep. It made sense in context. Really, it did!

Drakevarg
2010-02-11, 09:50 PM
I heard of a vampiric onion once. Or was it a vampiric marshmellow? Probably both. My 2e DM was weird.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-11, 09:54 PM
Flumph.

How about rust monster? A double-threat to warforged.

Vampire mimics? "I vant to suck your furniture!"

the doomed one
2010-02-11, 09:57 PM
Gnome? :smallconfused:

I was going to guess Elf...:smallamused:

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-11, 10:02 PM
I was going to guess Elf...:smallamused:He was a kobold.

Duh.

Drakevarg
2010-02-11, 10:05 PM
<_<

>_>

...Werepyre.

*flees*

Splendor
2010-02-11, 10:09 PM
The kender actually looks kinda badass, while the mindflayer... not so much.

Vampire Illithid are pretty much mindless

How about sheep?
There was a 2nd edition monster call the death sheep... don't remember what it did.

Vampire dwarves didn't have a vision limit range but could see in the dark as if it was daytime.
+2 weapon of better to hit (as opposed to +1 for normal vampire), double regen when underground, holy water had no effect, but spring water did, couldn't change forms, equivalent power of earthglide, couldn't cross line of powered metal, stalagmite through heart killed it (not stake)

Elf vampires drained CHR by touch. Equivalent gaze attack that paralyzed for d4 rounds, Transport via plants at will but killed plant it transported through, pass without trace at will, some spells per day, SUNLIGHT does NOT harm them but they sleep at night, easier to turn, takes damage if underground, holy water has no effect but tree sap does, normal "at bay items" like crosses, mirrors or garlic don't work but they cant cross a line of flower petals,

Gnomish vampires see in the dark like dwarven vampires, 1/turn can use TUHL, alternative form of will o'wisp, change self at will, spider climb at will, jewels hold them at bay, killed with silver blessed spike

Halfling vampires have a fatigue aura, +2 weapon of better to hit, +5 vs magic to saves, polymorph self into woodland mammals, can create food and water 3/day but the food is of exceptional quality (lures people in), held at bay by pipe smoke, takes damage from rain, can be killed with a steak from a hearth. sunlight harms them (more then rain)

Kender vampires physical attacks can paralyze and deal 1 INT & WIS damage, area affect insanity ability, alternative form of a poltergeist, easy to turn

Drakevarg
2010-02-11, 10:11 PM
area affect insanity ability,

Don't Kender already have this?

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-11, 10:20 PM
Halfling vampires have a fatigue aura, +2 weapon of better to hit, +5 vs magic to saves, polymorph self into woodland mammals, can create food and water 3/day but the food is of exceptional quality (lures people in), held at bay by pipe smoke, takes damage from rain, can be killed with a stake from a hearth. sunlight harms them (more then rain)Shouldn't that be a steak through the hart?

Flickerdart
2010-02-11, 10:20 PM
<_<

>_>

...Werepyre.

*flees*
In Eastern European folklore, the two were practically interchangeable anyway. Now add Ghost to that, and we're talking.

Fortuna
2010-02-11, 10:23 PM
I say stack every template we can think of, then throw Half-Shadow Dragon on top so we can put on Draconic Vampire (or whatever it's called). On, let's say, a wildflower.

Flickerdart
2010-02-11, 10:24 PM
Half-Shadow Dragon Vampire Sandwich.

In Soviet Russia, food eat YOU!

Asbestos
2010-02-11, 11:09 PM
Halfling vampires have a fatigue aura, +2 weapon of better to hit, +5 vs magic to saves, polymorph self into woodland mammals, can create food and water 3/day but the food is of exceptional quality (lures people in), held at bay by pipe smoke, takes damage from rain, can be killed with a steak from a hearth. sunlight harms them (more then rain)

"Barricade the doors! I heard that there were vampires loose in this area!"

"Vampires, what kind?"

"I believe the townsfolk said they were halflings."

"Hey man, no worries then. Just bust out the hookah and start a pot of coffee. Looks like we'll have to pull an all-nighter."

The Gnome one seems like the most annoying since commoners have no real access to what keeps them at bay or kills them. The Elf ones sound like sissies "oh no! not flower petals!"

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-02-12, 12:59 AM
In games i have run: Vampiric dragon (Dragula)
vampiric ilithid (Vampithid)
Vampire Goblin (VOBLIN)

In games I have been in: Vampire halfling villiage (terrifying)
Vampire pixie SWARM. (awsome)

Vampires i would like to put into a game in the future:
Werewolf Vampire
Vampire centaur
Vampiric Unicorns
Vampire grey render as minion to another vampire. . . (this would amuse me)

Dr.Epic
2010-02-12, 01:00 AM
Vampires that sparkle.:smallannoyed:

I also can't see dwarves becoming vampires.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-12, 01:03 AM
Vampires that sparkle.:smallannoyed:

I also can't see dwarves becoming vampires.Maenad vamps. They're emo AND sparkly.

...What?!

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-02-12, 01:06 AM
the only sparkly vampires should be Vampiric gem dragons. . . and possibly a number of vampiric elenemtals. . .

vampiric elementals would be awsome. . . though i am not convinced its possible. . .

Dr.Epic
2010-02-12, 01:07 AM
vampiric elementals would be awsome. . . though i am not convinced its possible. . .

You don't read too much of the Cthulhu Mythos do you: fire vampires anyone?

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-12, 01:08 AM
the only sparkly vampires should be Vampiric gem dragons. . . and possibly a number of vampiric elenemtals. . .

vampiric elementals would be awsome. . . though i am not convinced its possible. . .Elementals are technically living.

Vampiric puppeteers would be terrifying, if done correctly.