PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Character? 3.5 help needed

Rosalinath
2010-02-11, 05:47 PM
Can someone help me please? I have an idea that just doesn't want to work. The idea is to make a character that personifies chaos in every way, but after many attempts I have failed.

I have tried making a plane touched (the chaotic one) cleric of pandemonium thats domains were chaos and madness (3.0 version) but that died within the first few encounters (she died three times)

Then I looked into trying to make a symboyotic Succubus (using the CR+2 logic for LA, giving me all the HD for compensation) that would take control of a chaos beast. That one failed via Astral Stalkers attacking while trying to get to the chaos beasts plane through astral travel.

Does anyone know how to make a powerful chaos character? no limits besides no psionics or incarnum, all monsters being allowed as long as their at least vaguely bipedal. Everyone has died last session so all the party roles are up for grabs.

Greenish
2010-02-11, 05:53 PM
A Warmage who determines what to cast by random rolls (on chart of all warmage spells). Will the next one be Fireball or Detect Magic? You never know!

Dr Bwaa
2010-02-11, 06:01 PM
Chaos Magic, by Mongoose, is 3.0 but presents the Chaos Mage, which is quite powerful and very, very fun. You need a DM who is really okay with working with you, though--a lot of stuff is really badly- or under-specified, but the concept (essentially, you craft whatever spells you want on the spur of the moment out of pure chaos energy) is really, really cool. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: oh, and make sure you use a Rod of Wonder (http://www.slacknhash.net/rod_of_wonder.php) at least once every encounter =D

Rosalinath
2010-02-11, 06:29 PM
Then I looked into trying to make a symboyotic Succubus (using the CR+2 logic for LA, giving me all the HD for compensation) that would take control of a chaos beast. That one failed via Astral Stalkers attacking while trying to get to the chaos beasts plane through astral travel.

I am interested in all your ideas, and will be looking into them. Can someone explain to me what is wrong with this build please? as an optimiser, and maybe as an roleplayer. I like this idea alot and enjoyed playing it, but dunno what was wrong with the build. The classes it took (minus the CR+2+1 for a succubus symbiotic) were Sorcerer/Wild Mage

Weezer
2010-02-11, 06:46 PM
Well what level were you playing at? Since you mention Astral Stalkers I would guess its near-epic? Also by "giving me all the HD as compensation" you mean that the HD were factored into your ECL? A bit more specificity on your build is really needed to give advice.

With the info you've given it seems that you commited one of the cardinal sins of optimizing, giving up caster levels. You gave up ~12 levels to succubus HD/LA (thats RAW, it seems you're playing under some house rule for playing monsters that isn't really clear), that means any spellcasting you have is monumentally crippled, approaching useless against foes as powerful as Astral Stalkers. Succubus also doesn't give you that much to help you in combat, which also probably contributed to your early death.

Thurbane
2010-02-11, 08:05 PM
Wild Mage is a good PrC for any Chaos themed full arcane caster.

There's also the Neraph LA+0 race in the Planar Handbook...or the Chaond from MM2.

Harperfan7
2010-02-11, 10:48 PM
Dragon has the Cansin and the (Diablo? Diablan?), but I don't know which issues they're in.

Apropos
2010-02-11, 10:53 PM
Be a changeling. Get the feat that lets you change as a move action. Change shape every 6 seconds. You could just change your face, or give yourself tentacles. Regardless, it'd be unnerving to watch for any who have to.

Thurbane
2010-02-12, 01:37 AM
How about a Neraphim Sorcerer 6/Wild Mage 10/Fate Spinner 4?