PDA

View Full Version : Grapple, Spikes and Unarmed Damage

NekoJoker
2010-02-11, 07:25 PM
I'm building a Bear Warrior/Fist of the forest/Deepwarden character that uses grappling as an attack option. This build is up to 20th lvl, all books are allowed EXCEPT TOME OF BATTLE.

I have a wizard and a cleric and also a druid standing right behind me ready to give any buff spell I could ever need.

I want to know if there is anyway to grow natural spikes aout fo your body that would enhance damage while grappling an opponent.

And also I would like to know of any ways to improve unarmed damage besides Enlarge person, Improved Unarmed damage (only ToB feat allowed... don't know why) Monk's belt, and greater Mighty Wallop.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thx guys

Riffington
2010-02-11, 07:49 PM
As a bear, can't you do your bear's natural attack damage on a successful grapple? Why not just buff that?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-11, 08:13 PM
Totemist levels. From what I know, Incarnum isn't banned so there's your best option. One of the Soulmelds gives Constrict, and the Girallon Arms give a bonus to Grapple checks (massive bonus at that).

Oh, and you're a Barbearian? You should totally go Totemist 4/Barbarian 2/Totem Rager 4/Bear Warrior 3/Fist of the Forest 3/Deepwarden X (forgot how long that class is).

Brendan
2010-02-11, 08:15 PM
why on EARTH is there no ToB?!?
ask the DM.

NekoJoker
2010-02-11, 08:18 PM
Sooo, pretty much it seems that what I need would be to reeeeally boost up my Unarmed and or natural attacks.

I am currently working on that same thing, but having also a spike damage output is not a bad idea IMHO, after all, every bit of damage counts....

I am unfamiliar with Incarnum rules, I do have access to a large variety of books but I don't remember seeing any of that, If anyone can tell me which book this comes from i will gladly give it a look.

And coming back to it, anyone ahs any furhter Ideas on how to boost up unarmed damage besides what ahs already been said?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-11, 08:19 PM
Sooo, pretty much it seems that what I need would be to reeeeally boost up my Unarmed and or natural attacks.

I am currently working on that same thing, but having also a spike damage output is not a bad idea IMHO, after all, every bit of damage counts....

I am unfamiliar with Incarnum rules, I do have access to a large variety of books but I don't remember seeing any of that, If anyone can tell me which book this comes from i will gladly give it a look.

And coming back to it, anyone ahs any furhter Ideas on how to boost up unarmed damage besides what ahs already been said?

Magic of Incarnum has Totem Rager and Totemist. If you need help learning it, just ask me.

Riffington
2010-02-11, 08:30 PM
How do you get the spikes to do damage in addition to the bite damage?

NekoJoker
2010-02-11, 08:39 PM
How do you get the spikes to do damage in addition to the bite damage?

As far as I know (maybe I am wrong) spike damage (as if you had them on your armor) are dealt alongsides with the unarmed damage done through grappling. If my concept is wrong then I humbly appologize

Now about the incarnum I actually don't think I have the book, will get it later with a little luck.

So let's ask about it...
Does Incarnum work like Items or is it some kind of class feature?

Weezer
2010-02-11, 09:02 PM
Umm...both?

Soulbinds (the things that give you abilities/bonuses as an Incarnum class) can be shaped or bound to various locations on your body. When shaped you can still use the slot for items but binding one counts as having an item in that slot. Bound is what gets you all the cool abilities (the craptons of Natural attacks etc.)

Its hard to explain in its entirety, go read it (if you can get ahold of it) then come back with questions. Its easier that way.

Fluffles
2010-02-11, 10:34 PM
Punish your DM for banning the ToB with Pun-Pun.

Or go full Druid and WS into a Giant Squid (get a air-mask, modified for water, from Savage species and stick a wilding clasp on it) and buff yourself up with Enhanced Wildshape, Bite of the Werebear, and squeeze the **** out of things.

Or be really mean, and be a Cleric of Mystra (With the feat of course) and take arcane mastery. Then buff yourself up to your hearts content and throw on an AMF (which effects everyone but you) and then nothing can resist you, ever. Fearsome Grapple, Girralon's Blessing, all the tentacle spells, then a fuse arms. Easy enough to get a Str of 100+ and a grapple mod in the 120s.

NekoJoker
2010-02-11, 10:46 PM
Punish your DM for banning the ToB with Pun-Pun.

Or go full Druid and WS into a Giant Squid (get a air-mask, modified for water, from Savage species and stick a wilding clasp on it) and buff yourself up with Enhanced Wildshape, Bite of the Werebear, and squeeze the **** out of things.

Or be really mean, and be a Cleric of Mystra (With the feat of course) and take arcane mastery. Then buff yourself up to your hearts content and throw on an AMF (which effects everyone but you) and then nothing can resist you, ever. Fearsome Grapple, Girralon's Blessing, all the tentacle spells, then a fuse arms. Easy enough to get a Str of 100+ and a grapple mod in the 120s.

jajajja that was just plain mean.
I kindda like it!

I will give it some thought since i am also building a Druid and this last thing could be what I'm looking for. But I'm still doing research on incarnum. I swill post my questions tomorrow so I can get everything cleared out.
thx

Rasman
2010-02-12, 01:35 AM
if you're willing to do it with an item, there's Porcupine Elixer from the MIC, it makes you look a little funny, but adds damage to grapples and such.

Sir Giacomo
2010-02-12, 02:09 AM
I guess the superior unarmed strike (or damage?), anyhow that monk-damage-level-boosting feat from ToB does not stack with the monk's belt. But your DM may allow it. Ah, just saw that ToB is out...

Then, spike damage usually is not added ontop of grappling damage - only used instead on the successful grapple attack. But there may be exceptions, as suggested by Rasman.

Then, there is the feat "improved natural attack" (MM) which will advance your unarmed/grapple damage by one size category.

This guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127732) by Person_Man will contain lots of useful stuff to get inspired on how to improve your grapple damage output...

- Giacomo