PDA

View Full Version : Legion of Sentinals

SartheKobold
2010-02-11, 08:29 PM
Legion of Sentinels: Ghostly swordsmen threaten a 10-foot radius, deal 1d8 damage +1/3 Levels (Max +5)

Legion of Sentinels
Illusion [Shadow]
Level: Beguiler 3, Sorcerer/Wizard 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft. / 2 Levels)
Area: 10ft.-Radius Emanation Centered on a Point in Space
Duration: 1 Round/Level
Saving Throw: None
SR: No

A ghostly, incorporeal swordfighter appears in each square covered by this spell's area. A swordfighter can share a space with another creature or object. Each swordfighter threatens the squares adjacent to it and can make one attack of opportunity per round. The swordfighters do not hinder movement, block terrain, or block line of effect. They can flank an opponent with each other and with your allies.
Each swordfighter has hit points equal to twice your caster level and an Armor Class of 25. It makes saving throws or checks with a bonus equal to your caster level.
Material Component: A pewter sword-fighter miniature figure.

Is it just me, or is this a confusing spell?
The spell summary says it deals damage, but the spell description doesn't mention it at all, aside from the fact that they get AoO. On top of that, it doesn't dictate who is a target for these illusory swordsmen. Is the caster immune to it? Because it doesn't say he is. In addition, do they effect corporeal creatures? It says they're corporeal, and says nothing about them effecting corporeal creatures...

And to top it all off, I have a Beguiler in my game asking me about it...

sofawall
2010-02-11, 08:30 PM
Not to mention it doesn't have an attack bonus listed.

I've always assumed it to be CL+Casting stat, myself.

SartheKobold
2010-02-11, 08:38 PM
I think that they planned it to summon the soldiers, then decided it was too powerful and removed their attacks but didn't edit enough. Just as an area of 'flanked' seems like a good enough Beguiler spell...

If it just summons a handfull of AC 25 soldiers with attack bonuses, it overpowers Summon Monster III in just about every way but flexibility...

Dexam
2010-02-11, 09:34 PM
This omission was corrected in the PHB II Errata (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/PHB2_Errata.zip):

Should include the following text at the end of its
description: “The swordsmen’s attacks are at a
bonus equal to your caster level, they threaten
critical hits on a 19 or 20, and they deal 1d8 points
of slashing damage with a +1 bonus per three caster
levels (max +5). They only make attacks of
opportunity, and their weapon damage is slashing
and is affected by damage reduction.”

Be aware that they only get AoO, so something has to provoke before the Legion can attack. On the plus side, they're incorporeal, so the attack ignores armour/shields (excluding force effects).

The Glyphstone
2010-02-11, 09:42 PM
My favorite tactic is a Sorcerer who learns Bigby's Slapping Hand and Legion of Sentinels. It's a DC20 Concentration check (effectively a DC20 Fort save for any non-caster) or provoke (for a Medium enemy) 18 AoO. A Large enemy would provoke 40.

A 2nd level and 3rd level spell together dealing as much as 18d8+18 damage is pretty nice at level 6. The problem is that it scales horribly, high level monsters are basically immune.

SartheKobold
2010-02-11, 09:54 PM
Eternally helpful. I love this community...

Dexam
2010-02-11, 10:02 PM
Another great tactic is to combine Legion of Sentinels with Solid Fog. Watch as your enemies very slowly move out of the Solid Fog, provoking multiple AoO's for every 5' they move, over multiple rounds. :smallwink:

Azernak0
2010-02-12, 01:21 AM
I think it also provokes AoO if they are inside of a character when they first appear. So a Large character is hit 4 times, a medium once, etc.

Shame they don't know Thicket of Blades. :smallwink: