PDA

View Full Version : Commentary Appreciated and Loved!

MachiavelliFox
2010-02-11, 08:56 PM
So I'm constructing my own campaign, and I could use advice! I'll probably throw up a number of questions or ideas I have for it here for comment by the GiantITP people :D

At any rate, the first thing I'd like to do is set up the premise. Our heroes will be descending into the tomb of an ancient necromancer who, secretly, is not quite dead. They'll be meeting and wind up being recruited by the Lich (Who, suspiciously, seems to be one of the good guys) for whatever reasons I discover. Right now I'm in the process of building him, and need phylactery help.

Firstly, can a lich have more than one phylactery, and (secondly) can one of those phylacteries be the throne he erects in his tomb?

Well, I'm not really aiming for a by-the-book game when it comes to nuances like this, but do you guys see any inherent problems here?

AtopTheMountain
2010-02-11, 08:58 PM
Firstly: I don't think so.

Secondly: Of course. A phylactery can be almost any inanimate object... I've even seen someone make an IRON GOLEM into a Phylactery.

arguskos
2010-02-11, 09:00 PM
Well, to be super technical, there's no passage stating a lich can't have more than one phylactery. However, intent is clearly that they can only have one.

There is an Epic Spell in Champions of Ruin called Aumvor's Shattered Phylactery that takes a phylactery and turns it into Caster Level phylacteries. I recommend liberal use of that spell. :smallamused:

Greenish
2010-02-11, 09:02 PM
SRD on the forms of phylactery:
The most common form of phylactery is a sealed metal box containing strips of parchment on which magical phrases have been transcribed. The box is Tiny and has 40 hit points, hardness 20, and a break DC of 40.

Other forms of phylacteries can exist, such as rings, amulets, or similar items.Wether a throne would be "similar item" is anyone's guess. (Or rather, your call as a DM.)

Goldfly
2010-02-11, 09:03 PM
Dry liches (Sandstorm) have eight phylacteries, but require you to finish progression in a prestige class (Walker in the Waste).They can't have the throne as a phylactery, though.