PDA

View Full Version : shoe fists and ties

Acero
2010-02-11, 09:27 PM
In a campaign, one of the characters use his craft skill to put spikes on his boots and a silk tie to go over his armor.

2 problems.

1) he wants to put the boots on his hands and use them as weapons? what should I do? Improvised weapons?

2) he wants to get the tie enchanted to boost his stats? Is that legal?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-02-11, 09:32 PM
In a campaign, one of the characters use his craft skill to put spikes on his boots and a silk tie to go over his armor.

2 problems.

1) he wants to put the boots on his hands and use them as weapons? what should I do? Improvised weapons?

2) he wants to get the tie enchanted to boost his stats? Is that legal?

1. Feel free to treat it as a Spiked Gauntlet.
2. Does he have a plan more specific than "to boost stats"? What spell or combination of spells exactly does he intend to use?

Acero
2010-02-11, 09:35 PM
1. Feel free to treat it as a Spiked Gauntlet.
2. Does he have a plan more specific than "to boost stats"? What spell or combination of spells exactly does he intend to use?

i think it was something for his AC.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-02-11, 09:37 PM
He wants to make the tie into an Amulet of Natural Armor perhaps?

This amulet, usually crafted from bone or beast scales, toughens the wearer’s body and flesh, giving him an enhancement bonus to his natural armor bonus of from +1 to +5, depending on the kind of amulet.

Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, barkskin, creator’s caster level must be at least three times the amulet’s bonus; Price 2,000 gp (+1), 8,000 gp (+2), 18,000 gp (+3), 32,000 gp (+4), or 50,000 gp (+5).

maijstral
2010-02-11, 09:38 PM
From the SRD:

One amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab around the neck

Just count it as his neck slot and price it like a regular stat increase.

Acero
2010-02-11, 09:39 PM
alright. thanks

Kylarra
2010-02-11, 09:42 PM
I'd impose some sort of improvised weapon penalty for using the boots on your hands. Point him at the spiked gauntlet if that's what he wants legitly.

Vitruviansquid
2010-02-11, 09:48 PM
My stance on player ingenuity is to ask myself:

1. Is the player getting a mechanical advantage? Is the player doing this for fluff/backstory reasons?

2. Is the player doing something absolutely ridiculous? How believable is the action in the context of in-game society or in-game levels of technology?

3. Is the player doing something that absolutely doesn't seem like it should work, but only does work in the context of the game's rules?

4. Will this cause one player to outshine the other players or will it cause him to somehow break the game?

These in mind, I would allow the spiked boots as reasonably good weapons because the player only seems to be getting a fluff advantage of being the guy who has shoes on his hands rather than getting a mechanical advantage of having a better weapon. I would be hesitant to allow the enchanting of a tie because it just seems like he's aiming for a mechanical advantage for doing something quite ridiculous. That or rule the tie as an amulet or something, so there's no actual mechanical advantage gained.