PDA

View Full Version : Kell's Blast Spell Hunt!

KellKheraptis
2010-02-11, 11:06 PM
Ok, so looking for a specific class of spell, fitting these parameters :

-Range category Long
-Dice/CL damage, preferably uncapped but not a big deal if it's not
-Ranged Touch Attack

Goal : The omniblast. Between Sculpt Spell, Elven Spell Lore, Arcane Thesis, and the various debuff feats available, this one spell will be at minimum a double or triple threat. Also, it will provide a non-resistable form of caster-smiting (especially since with all the metamagic on an Incantatrix, chances are it will creep above 6th level slots when it's really cheesed up). Reserves of Strength is available to remove dice caps, but being naturally uncapped helps.

DQ-ed : Wings of flurry, polar ray, orb of X, because either they're not Long range, or not naturally an RTA. That last part is important, as I can always turn an RTA into a radius or cubes/cone.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-12, 12:22 AM
As far as I can tell, there are no spells that meet all your criteria.

Also, most RTAs do not have areas, and Sculpt Spell can only be applied to area spells.

As for long range d6/CL spells, there's always Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, Delayed Blast Fireball, and Chain lightning. All capped, I'm afraid. Spellwarp Sniper can finagle them into being RTAs, if you apply Legacy Champion trickery.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-02-12, 12:24 AM
I've just been through the SC and I'm afraid that I've not found anything that fits your criteria. If you drop your range down to medium, however, I believe there are several hits.

KellKheraptis
2010-02-12, 12:26 AM
As far as I can tell, there are no spells that meet all your criteria.

Also, most RTAs do not have areas, and Sculpt Spell can only be applied to area spells.

As for long range d6/CL spells, there's always Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, Delayed Blast Fireball, and Chain lightning. All capped, I'm afraid. Spellwarp Sniper can finagle them into being RTAs, if you apply Legacy Champion trickery.

I could have sworn there was one that was RTA to hit, and then did damage with a Ref 1/2 over either a 5' or 10' radius. Was that the original publication of the Orb line in Tome and Blood?

SilverStar
2010-02-12, 10:44 AM
The Ranged Touch Attack thing is killing this.

I have a custom spell that warps spells of 7th level or lower into rays.

Failing that, Field of Icy Razors, Deadly Sunstroke, and the like are good for greater blastification.

Myself, I use Polar Ray. Slap some admixtures on that = good times.

ericgrau
2010-02-12, 11:00 AM
Ran a quick search, there are no long range rays in the SRD. There's are 3 medium range rays though: disintegrate, searing light and dimensional anchor. If you don't mind the metamagic feat you could double their range.

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-12, 11:17 AM
I could have sworn there was one that was RTA to hit, and then did damage with a Ref 1/2 over either a 5' or 10' radius. Was that the original publication of the Orb line in Tome and Blood?
Meteor Swarm and a Ring of Shooting Stars.

KellKheraptis
2010-02-12, 04:58 PM
Meteor Swarm and a Ring of Shooting Stars.

Ok, I can see how the effect is similar, but beyond it's ball functions, how can a Ring of Shooting Stars affect spells cast while wearing it? If it could emulate the effect of the druidic equivalent (where if you're in the direct path, you take full damage without a save), that'd rock...:P