PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Demigod (divine rank 0) equipment suggestions

Dyllan
2010-02-11, 11:10 PM
The Ancestor, Divine Rank 0 diety needs equipment. He's a level 20 Half Earth Elemental Dwarf Cleric 20, who lives on an earth demiplane (specifically the Earth Node from Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil... he killed the Elemental Prince of Earth a long time ago). He can grant spells to his followers, but only so long as they are in his demiplane. Here's his statblock:

Cleric 20
Domains: Earth and Protection
Str 24
Dex 16
Con 24
Int 15
Wis 24
Cha 16
Charisma mod as deflection bonus to AC
Darkvision 60 feet
+2 saves versus spells and poison
SR 32
DR 10/-
Resist Fire 5
Immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any other attack that alters its form, energy drain, ability drain, ability damage, and mind altering effects.
Movement Speed: 50 feet
Feats: Craft Construct, Improved Toughness, Combat Casting, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wonderous Item, Craft Ring, Extra Rings
HP 20d8+160 (maximized) = 320

And I want to equip him with gear worth 438,500 GP. Any suggestions on what gear to give him?

Tanuki Tales
2010-02-11, 11:56 PM
Just to nitpick, he's not a Demigod, he's a Quasi-Deity. Actual Demigods at least have 1 Divine rank.

Edit: This also means he can't grant spells I believe.

Illven
2010-02-12, 12:11 AM
Just to nitpick, he's not a Demigod, he's a Quasi-Deity. Actual Demigods at least have 1 Divine rank.

Edit: This also means he can't grant spells I believe.

Normally no, however normally granting spells doesn't have a range limit

Dyllan
2010-02-12, 12:31 AM
Normally no, however normally granting spells doesn't have a range limit

Additionally, I'm the DM. :-)

I suppose quasi-diety is a more accurate term though. He's a quasi-diety who can grant spells in a limited range. Think of him as divine rank 1/2 if you prefer.

Any equipment suggestions though?

faceroll
2010-02-12, 12:53 AM
Any equipment suggestions though?

What's his personality? Alignment?
Judging by all those crafting feats, I'd guess he's into crafting :) I would give him a very magical smithing hammer that does damage as a huge warhammer. Maybe +5 flaming burst spell storing, with a +20 insight bonus to any craft checks made with the hammer.

His armor should be mountain plate from races of stone. That's armor made out of stone plates.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-12, 01:09 AM
As DM, could you declare that your dwarf also has 3 levels in Dwarf Paragon? It seems like it might be appropriate thematically.
Gain character level to craft checks, among other things. Boosts to saves vs spells and poisons as well. More class skills... (race of stone)

Dyllan
2010-02-12, 01:50 AM
Mountain Plate does sound like a good idea. I'll have to look at that more closely.

As for Paragon levels... this character was a PC in his mortal life. He retired around level 15... and was straight cleric the whole way. While Paragon might fit for what he has become, he never took it as a mortal so I didn't want to change that.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-12, 02:13 AM
Interlocking plate? Move 5 feet or less, and your AC bonus goes up by 2.

Understandable not wanting to alter the character too much. But what does divine rank 0 grant in the way of salient divine abilities?

Dyllan
2010-02-12, 10:47 AM
Interlocking plate? Move 5 feet or less, and your AC bonus goes up by 2.

Understandable not wanting to alter the character too much. But what does divine rank 0 grant in the way of salient divine abilities?

You don't get salient abilities until divine rank 1. It does a few nice things though - like maximizing all hit dice, giving SR 32, DR 10/epic (as we're pre-epic, effectively dr 10/-), a number of immunities, and Resist fire 5 (that one seems odd to me, but whatever).

I looked at making him Divine Rank 1, but decided that just made him too powerful for my party.

cheezewizz2000
2010-02-12, 10:53 AM
Now, I know I'm proved wrong by the SRD, but I was convinced that a deity's DR was 20+divine rank/+4.

When did that change? I think it's a little better as it gives lower level characters a chance to slay a god, but then some people would disagree.

Tanuki Tales
2010-02-12, 11:08 AM
Now, I know I'm proved wrong by the SRD, but I was convinced that a deity's DR was 20+divine rank/+4.

When did that change? I think it's a little better as it gives lower level characters a chance to slay a god, but then some people would disagree.

Using an enchantment bonus to bypass DR is 3.0 policy.

Gorbash
2010-02-12, 02:36 PM
DR 10/epic (as we're pre-epic, effectively dr 10/-)

You can have a +6 weapon waaaaaaaaaaaay before epic levels.

Ormagoden
2010-02-12, 02:44 PM
This build doesn't have nearly enough Axe.
It also needs more bear.

hamishspence
2010-02-12, 02:44 PM
By pooling the wealth and buying it?

The price tag on a +6 weapon is 720,000 gp. Not cheap, even at 20th level.

MandibleBones
2010-02-12, 02:49 PM
Bracers for a shield bonus, cast by an Abjurant Champion.

Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shield.htm) spell, persistant, on bracers. 1st level spell x Minimum Caster Level 10 (since a 5th-level Abj. Champion has a min level of 10) x 2000 gp for permanent x 2 for min/level duration = 40,000 gp, but since you've GOT the cash...

+9 shield bonus to AC, completely immune to Magic Missiles, and oh yeah, your hands are free to dualwield if need be.

Gorbash
2010-02-12, 03:02 PM
By pooling the wealth and buying it?

The price tag on a +6 weapon is 720,000 gp. Not cheap, even at 20th level.

Who said anything about buying it? Buy a +1 weapon with a +1 equivalent enhancement then have a Cleric/Wizard cast Greater Magic Weapon. If Cleric has Bead of Karma (which he should) or if Wizard has increased CL (which he should) you can start bypassing DR/epic at about 15th lvl.

Alternatively, have a +1 Bane weapon (against a subtype whose DR/epic you're trying to bypass) and when you cast GMW and use it against that particular creature, it bypasses epic DR on lvls 10-12 (you get +3 enhancment from GMW, additional +2 from Bane and +1 from the bane enhancmenet = +6).

hamishspence
2010-02-12, 03:55 PM
Who said anything about buying it? Buy a +1 weapon with a +1 equivalent enhancement then have a Cleric/Wizard cast Greater Magic Weapon. If Cleric has Bead of Karma (which he should) or if Wizard has increased CL (which he should) you can start bypassing DR/epic at about 15th lvl.

Greater Magic Weapon is capped at +5: and does not stack with the existing enhancement bonus of a weapon- since bonuses of the same type never stack.

Gorbash
2010-02-12, 04:01 PM
Greater Magic Weapon is capped at +5: and does not stack with the existing enhancement bonus of a weapon- since bonuses of the same type never stack.

It doesn't stack with the +# but it stacks with the special abilities that are equivalent to enhancements (Flaming, Frost, etc).

And I wasn't saying it was stacking. When you have a +1 Flaming Longsword, once you cast GMW at it, it becomes +5 Flaming Longsword (+5 from GMW overrides the basic +1) but the Flaming enchancement stil exits and that's why it's a +6 weapon now.

hamishspence
2010-02-12, 04:03 PM
Again- incorrect- it has to be a +6 flat, or its not epic.

A +5 flaming shocking frost weapon is not epic.

A +6 weapon, is.

MM, under damage reduction, makes this clear- to be classed as an epic weapon, it must have at least a +6 enhancement bonus.

Thats why a +6 weapon costs so much more than a +5 Flaming weapon.

Gorbash
2010-02-12, 04:06 PM
You can't have a +6 weapon, +5 is the maximum enhancement. Just check the DMG it clearly states:

Magic weapon have enhacnement bonuses ranging from +1 to +5

The only way to get epic weapons is to have total enhancement (+5 and various enhacnement equivalent abilities) of +6.

hamishspence
2010-02-12, 04:07 PM
Epic Handbook. Has the rules for weapons with an enhancement bonus of +6 or higher.

Gorbash
2010-02-12, 04:12 PM
Huh, you learn something new every day.

What if you had a +5 Bane weapon?

hamishspence
2010-02-12, 04:13 PM
That would in theory, work, as written, if "effective enhancement bonus" counts for this purpose.

Gorbash
2010-02-12, 04:15 PM
Then it's still cheaper than an actual +6 weapon. :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-02-12, 04:19 PM
If it works that way, yes.

Though it's possible that the DM would rule "effective" enhancement bonuses don't count- it has to be an actual enhancement bonus.

Or the FAQ might say something similar.

Assuming it only works against the dominant creature type, you'd need at least a +4 Earth Outsider Bane weapon- a +4 Dwarf Bane weapon wouldn't do it.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-12, 05:59 PM
Bonuses to hit are capped at +5 pre-epic. You can have a weapon with a total of +10 enhancements, but at least half of those MUST be in secondary abilities, bane, holy, vorpal etc.

A +5 magebane weapon wielded against a wizard acts like a +7 weapon (with bonus 2d6 damage), but that does not suddenly make it an epic weapon.

Otodetu
2010-02-12, 11:01 PM
The Ancestor, Divine Rank 0 diety needs equipment. He's a level 20 Half Earth Elemental Dwarf Cleric 20, who lives on an earth demiplane (specifically the Earth Node from Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil... he killed the Elemental Prince of Earth a long time ago). He can grant spells to his followers, but only so long as they are in his demiplane. Here's his statblock:

Cleric 20
Domains: Earth and Protection
Str 24
Dex 16
Con 24
Int 15
Wis 24
Cha 16
Charisma mod as deflection bonus to AC
Darkvision 60 feet
+2 saves versus spells and poison
SR 32
DR 10/-
Resist Fire 5
Immune to polymorphing, petrification, or any other attack that alters its form, energy drain, ability drain, ability damage, and mind altering effects.
Movement Speed: 50 feet
Feats: Craft Construct, Improved Toughness, Combat Casting, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wonderous Item, Craft Ring, Extra Rings
HP 20d8+160 (maximized) = 320

And I want to equip him with gear worth 438,500 GP. Any suggestions on what gear to give him?

Refreshingly modest and fresh! (When i hear demigod i usually envision some horrible aberration of a stat block most likely dedicated to the dm's ego than anything else...)

I suggest equipping him as appropriate for your champaign setting really, if you go standard then gearing him up as you would any cleric should do fine.

Gorbash
2010-02-13, 06:51 AM
A +5 magebane weapon wielded against a wizard acts like a +7 weapon (with bonus 2d6 damage), but that does not suddenly make it an epic weapon.

Where does it says so? If it's effectively a +7 weapon, why wouldn't it pass epic DR?

hamishspence
2010-02-13, 06:58 AM
Maybe because on has an enhancement bonus, and the other has an "effective" enhancement bonus?

herrhauptmann
2010-02-13, 05:17 PM
Where does it says so? If it's effectively a +7 weapon, why wouldn't it pass epic DR?

Because the weapon itself does not have +6 or better enhancements, nor is the total cost of the weapon +11 or better. Your weapon is either [EPIC] or it is not, there's no going back and forth.

As far as the additional +2 vs mages, that's in the description of the enchantment itself.

Eurus
2010-02-13, 05:34 PM
Because the weapon itself does not have +6 or better enhancements, nor is the total cost of the weapon +11 or better. Your weapon is either [EPIC] or it is not, there's no going back and forth.

As far as the additional +2 vs mages, that's in the description of the enchantment itself.

I disagree.

Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. Any weapon with at least a +1 magical enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls overcomes the damage reduction of these monsters.

A few very powerful monsters are vulnerable only to epic weapons; that is, magic weapons with at least a +6 enhancement bonus.

Against its designated foe, its effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than its normal enhancement bonus.

Seems pretty straightforward. "Effective" means that it's effectively 2 points higher for all intents and purposes. Would you argue that casting Magic Weapon on a club doesn't allow it to bypass DR 5/Magic?

Lysander
2010-02-13, 05:37 PM
How about giving him a Horn of Blasting? Starting a battle by sounding a magic horn would be a thematic opening move, plus it could call his servants to his side. It's only 20,000gp so it would leave plenty of gold for other gear.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-13, 06:31 PM
How about giving him a Horn of Blasting? Starting a battle by sounding a magic horn would be a thematic opening move, plus it could call his servants to his side. It's only 20,000gp so it would leave plenty of gold for other gear.

Give it 3 abilities, can be blown twice per day and have a magical effect.
Lets say, Horn of Goodness/evil, Valhalla, and blasting.
After the second magical use per day, it remains as just a MW Horn,

Was going to say that an additional ability not tied to blasting/valhalla etc was that it could be used for "Inspire Heroics" by nonbards, but to limit it from being too good, it can only be played to inspire for 1 round (meaning inspire lasts a total of 5 rounds). Additionally, the player would need to meet a perform check. Whether the check failed or not, the horn could not be used for Inspire heroics that week.
But the additional ability seems rather forced, and can be either too good, or not good enough depending on play level.

Lysander
2010-02-13, 06:36 PM
Except if a Horn of Valhalla it should summon dwarven barbarians instead of human barbarians.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-13, 07:20 PM
Except if a Horn of Valhalla it should summon dwarven barbarians instead of human barbarians.

Well yeah, I figured that was understood. Might want to boost the level of them too. If your party is going against a level 20 divine rank 0, a handful of 5th level barbarians are little more than annoyances.

Gorbash
2010-02-13, 07:34 PM
Well yeah, I figured that was understood. Might want to boost the level of them too. If your party is going against a level 20 divine rank 0, a handful of 5th level barbarians are little more than annoyances.

Not even that. They're just portable difficult ground, since you can't walk through them. Unless you add about 10 lvls to them, they won't hit anything. Or do anything for that matter.

Lysander
2010-02-13, 08:26 PM
What if instead of summoning dwarven barbarians it summons earth elementals of suitable CR made of stone carved to look like dwarves?

Amiel
2010-02-13, 08:46 PM
Since he's DvR 0, you can feel free to give him artifacts (major or minor) tied in with his portfolio, sphere of influence, race et al (thinking outside the box).

For example, an idea would be to equip your deity with an Everfoaming Mug, that regularly overflows with beer, ale, spirits, other booze that grants the Ancient One immunity to diseases and poison when drunk, or even when held.

Lysander
2010-02-13, 09:57 PM
Since he's DvR 0, you can feel free to give him artifacts (major or minor) tied in with his portfolio, sphere of influence, race et al (thinking outside the box).

For example, an idea would be to equip your deity with an Everfoaming Mug, that regularly overflows with beer, ale, spirits, other booze that grants the Ancient One immunity to diseases and poison when drunk, or even when held.

Of course, you have to keep in mind that anything he's carrying the PCs are likely to get for themselves as loot.