PDA

View Full Version : Holy Water and its possible apps.

Dvandemon
2010-02-11, 11:12 PM
So I was considering certain scenarios when I started thinking about Holy Water. Water is very versatile and has many forms. With this thought I wondered, is Holy Water vapor still valid? What about ice? That got me thinking about Simulacrum (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Simulacrum), does a holy water version deal damage from physical contact?

Worira
2010-02-12, 12:51 AM
Holy Water: There's an app for that.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-12, 01:06 AM
One of my favorite applications for it is as the material component of holy storm. :smallbiggrin:

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-02-12, 01:12 AM
. . . I knew a guy who played a genadier style character in a ravenloft game. . . he Stuck a massive explosive into a bag full of silver shards. . . and stuck that into a barrel of holy water. . . which was lined with stakes. . . and rolled it into castle ravenloft and detonated it. . . from inside a portable hole. . .

the funny thing was. . . it worked . . . ridiculous amounts of damage happened to all nearby vampires. . .

i was both baffled and impressed.

Terazul
2010-02-12, 01:27 AM
Personally I liked the Dust of Drying approach. Used it with a holy-ish anti-undead character. Church had a massive pool full of blessed holy water that he prayed at once a week. Started taking dust of drying, which turns 100 gallons of liquid into a marble-sized pellet. Kept about 3 of them around as my "blessed orbs". When we got to a point where we were really in a corner, pulled out a sling and let one rip. Whatever undead was there, wasn't.

As for the OPs question... Hm. I guess you could use Bless Water, then one of the myriad of effects to freeze it. Yay holy snowballs. Though if we start getting into vapor and stuff, it begs the question of how stuff like Control Water interacts with all sorts of bananagins.

Ravens_cry
2010-02-12, 01:35 AM
Holy Water: There's an app for that.
Try fitting five pounds of silver into your iPhone though.

Dimers
2010-02-12, 02:15 AM
So I was considering certain scenarios when I started thinking about Holy Water. Water is very versatile and has many forms. With this thought I wondered, is Holy Water vapor still valid? What about ice? That got me thinking about Simulacrum (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Simulacrum), does a holy water version deal damage from physical contact?

Use the holy water to help your avacado plants grow, and then make holy guacamole. :smalltongue:

... or apply holy water to just about anything ever, if you're a wizard who tries to be prepared for anything and has an acrobat for a cohort.

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-12, 02:37 AM
Bless your dice with holy water! Oh, wait, in-game applications for holy water...

Give people heavy metal poisoning with it, and then accuse them of being undead because of their negative reaction to it.

Better yet, make unholy water and pop an angel in the face with it to make him sizzle; accuse him of being a demon in disguise - after all, who's gonna know the difference between holy water and unholy water?

Innis Cabal
2010-02-12, 02:50 AM
after all, who's gonna know the difference between holy water and unholy water?

The angel. After he guts you though it won't matter.

Dvandemon
2010-02-12, 02:14 PM
I was thinking that if you were fighting an undead dragon and you had a simulacrum, that you could trick it into eating your double after casting bless water. Or if you have Alchemist's Fire, you could gather rocks around and break it. As the rocks heat up, dump some holy water on it and Undead are melted from the inside out

Optimystik
2010-02-12, 02:28 PM
It's a component for Resurrection and True Resurrection.

Ormagoden
2010-02-12, 02:43 PM
Personally I liked the Dust of Drying approach. Used it with a holy-ish anti-undead character. Church had a massive pool full of blessed holy water that he prayed at once a week. Started taking dust of drying, which turns 100 gallons of liquid into a marble-sized pellet. Kept about 3 of them around as my "blessed orbs". When we got to a point where we were really in a corner, pulled out a sling and let one rip. Whatever undead was there, wasn't.

As for the OPs question... Hm. I guess you could use Bless Water, then one of the myriad of effects to freeze it. Yay holy snowballs. Though if we start getting into vapor and stuff, it begs the question of how stuff like Control Water interacts with all sorts of bananagins.

That's brilliant!

Dragero
2010-02-12, 05:38 PM
Ask the water if it`s full.

"No, I`m holey."

I`ll leave now

Lysander
2010-02-12, 05:48 PM

Holy water acts like acid. When frozen it would probably act like a solid block of a frozen acid. Would frozen still be able to burn you? Probably not as much, unless your body heat could melt it.

So a Simulacrum would probably be unaffected, since it isn't melting. Throwing a holy snowball might still damage them but probably less than water, since only some of the snow actually touches them, as opposed to water which splashes all over their body.

The Dust of Dryness pellet containing holy water is a brilliant idea.

paddyfool
2010-02-12, 05:54 PM
If you've watched Angel, there was a character in that who'd keep a small vial around to identify demons and vampires by flicking a few drops on them to see what effect it might have. Seems much more useful, and a much more efficient way to use it, that way than as a grenade, and it would handily get around any undetectable alignment-style defences they might have up.

Optimystik
2010-02-12, 05:57 PM
Ask the water if it`s full.

"No, I`m holey."

I`ll leave now

It's also good for drowning people who make bad puns :smallyuk:

Lamech
2010-02-12, 06:01 PM
Aquire a large supply of water, drink it for a few years. Now you have holy blood. Grow plants with it. Wanna guess what they do with the water? Holy wood! Add iron wood and now you have holy plate! Use it to power a star's fusion, and you get holy light. And holy periodic table

ericgrau
2010-02-12, 06:15 PM
Since holy water is "like acid" to undead, I'd cap it at 10 times normal damage, or 20d4, similar to the way acid immersion works. Because there is a point where you simply cannot get any wetter.

A 40 gallon barrel of holy water would hold 320 pints. That could get expensive, but perhaps affordable at high levels. Or you sprinkle some dust of dryness onto the aftermath and re-use any unused water.

Try fitting five pounds of silver into your iPhone though.
Or into a 1 pound flask of holy water.

Bayar
2010-02-12, 06:15 PM
Cleanse that halitosis with the sacred powers of Holy Mouth Wash.

OracleofWuffing
2010-02-12, 06:22 PM
You know that episode of Tom and Jerry where they flood the kitchen and freeze the water to create an indoor ice rink?

Well, say you have a bunch of ice-skating undead, who are for whatever reason willing to let you cast create water long enough-

*Is thrown out of the internet*

fryplink
2010-02-12, 06:31 PM
chase-scene setup- your being chased through the jungle by the innumerable undead, cast stone-to-mud on a rocky outcropping, bless the water (several times) in the mud (or if water has to be pure, pour it all over dirt)

use bless water on a drowned (giant undead water-elemental)

fryplink
2010-02-12, 06:37 PM
if the BBEG is a demon with the fire subtype, cast plan planar binding/gate overtop a frozen puddle of holy-water, when the demon/fire creature is bound he melts through the ice and is immersed until the binding expires

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-12, 06:38 PM
Since holy water is "like acid" to undead, I'd cap it at 10 times normal damage, or 20d4, similar to the way acid immersion works. Because there is a point where you simply cannot get any wetter.

A 40 gallon barrel of holy water would hold 320 pints. That could get expensive, but perhaps affordable at high levels. Or you sprinkle some dust of dryness onto the aftermath and re-use any unused water.

Or into a 1 pound flask of holy water.

Hmm... Using the 20D4 limit, that's 20 flasks at 25 per flask for 500 gold, plus the cost of the dust. how many flasks to completely "fill" the 100 gallon limit? ans can we use metamagic to get more holy water from the spell?

Thursday
2010-02-12, 07:43 PM
Give people heavy metal poisoning with it, and then accuse them of being undead because of their negative reaction to it.

Forgive my abject ignorance, what happens if you do mix Holy water with stuff, -acid say? or a potion of whatever?

(and if possible -Then Present to any evil party members hanging about?)

or in fact any potions together, by simply pouring. I don't think I''ve come across this.

Worira
2010-02-12, 07:57 PM
Let me break out my Potion Miscibility Table.

Amphetryon
2010-02-12, 10:13 PM
Holy Water should be able to do Bludgeoning damage. It's 5 pounds of silver with enough water to qualify as a liquid; in other words, it's a damp silver brick.

lsfreak
2010-02-13, 12:23 AM
Holy Water should be able to do Bludgeoning damage. It's 5 pounds of silver with enough water to qualify as a liquid; in other words, it's a damp silver brick.

Fortunately, silver is the material component for creating holy water. That means that 5 pounds of silver vanishes into thin air as soon as you finish the spell.

Splendor
2010-02-13, 12:36 AM
A empty flash weighs 1.5lbs and 1 flask of holy water weighs 1lb.... So the holy water flask weight makes no sense, maybe that's the price of holy water and you have to buy your own flask... anyway.....

Started taking dust of drying, which turns 100 gallons of liquid into a marble-sized pellet.

a gallon of water weighs 8.3454lbs
1 flask of holy water weighs 1 lb
100 gallons * 8.3454 lbs=834.54lbs
834.54lbs *25gp=20,863.5gp
+ dust of dryness 850gp = 21713.5 gp for a one shot item
But I'm pretty sure it's going to kill anything it hits.

edit: so since a flask of holy water weighs one pound (see 1st thing I wrote because this weight makes no sense) and deals 2d4 damage then 834.54lbs of holy water would deal 1669d4 damage.

additional edit: so it takes 1 min to cast the spell and you have to cast it 100 times. Which would take character using spell points to be at least 11th level to finish it in one day, or a 1st level character 34 days.

Terazul
2010-02-13, 12:45 AM
a gallon of water weighs 8.3454lbs
1 flask of holy water weighs 1 lb
100 gallons * 8.3454 lbs=834.54lbs
834.54lbs *25gp=20,863.5gp
+ dust of dryness 850gp = 21713.5 gp for a one shot item
But I'm pretty sure it's going to kill anything it hits.

Yeah, as opposed to that we went with the assumption that a flask = 1 pint of liquid and worked from there (since you can buy oil in 1-pint flasks, while vials are consistently 1 oz, etc). And yeah it's expensive normally, but when you've got a bunch of clerics standing around to spam create water and bless water over a week, it works out :smallwink:.

Edit: To be fair, works out to roughly the same cost.

Splendor
2010-02-13, 03:37 AM
a pint of water weighs 1 pound.

ericgrau
2010-02-13, 04:53 AM
Hmm... Using the 20D4 limit, that's 20 flasks at 25 per flask for 500 gold, plus the cost of the dust. how many flasks to completely "fill" the 100 gallon limit? ans can we use metamagic to get more holy water from the spell?

8 pints per gallon so 800 flasks. 20 flasks is 20 pints is 2.5 gallons. Problem is that it's difficult to get the precision to fully immerse someone with 2.5 gallon. Hence the idea to use excessive amounts of holy water then dust of dryness the extra to re-use later.

And a pint is roughly a pound. That would mean 8 pounds per gallon and 62.7 lbs. per cubic foot (7.48*8), when really a cubic foot of water weighs 62.4 lbs. But who cares, it's close enough.