PDA

View Full Version : Test of Spite Olo vs Superglucose

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-11, 11:40 PM
Map: Any preference?

Buffs: 2+All Day work for you?

Superglucose
2010-02-12, 02:43 PM
No preference, and buff time is fine. The other game is completely stalled out so I figured I'd pop over here.

I should note I'm doing this so I can get a feel for high level stuff. I've been in one game that went beyond level 5 and that was a pretty fail campaign so I have virtually no experience at high levels, and literally no experience out of core.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-13, 12:07 AM
No preference, and buff time is fine. The other game is completely stalled out so I figured I'd pop over here.

I should note I'm doing this so I can get a feel for high level stuff. I've been in one game that went beyond level 5 and that was a pretty fail campaign so I have virtually no experience at high levels, and literally no experience out of core.

Perfectly fine. The ToS is how I got good at high level optimization...I could barely make a decent charger before this.

Buffs: All Day:
Use First Bead of Karma
Greater Luminous Armor
Anticipate Teleportation
Round 1:
Use Second Bead of Karma
Conviction
Round 2:
Spell Turning
Shield

Initiative: [roll0]

Map:

{table=head]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L
1||||||||||||
2|
3|||C|C|||||C|C||
4|||C|C|||||C|C||
5||||||||||||
6|
7|
8||||||||||||
9|||C|C|||||C|C||
10|||C|C|||||C|C||
11|
12|||||||||||[/table]

Superglucose
2010-02-13, 02:57 AM
... 1d20+22.

Round 1:
Greater Mirror Image, True Seeing

Round 2:
Ray Deflection, Nerveskitter

All day:
Arcane Sight
Elemental Body (Air)
Superior Resistance

Initiative:
[roll0]

Superglucose
2010-02-13, 02:58 AM
whoops: buff fail

Start: D2
[roll0]

You're first, I'll start top.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-13, 12:22 PM
I'll start in F9; do I have LoE?

Superglucose
2010-02-13, 01:16 PM
Yeah. You see 9 humans, milling about each other passing time chatting each other up slightly. If you can read lips you notice they're all talking at the same time and saying the exact same thing.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-13, 02:08 PM
You see a tall man dressed in black robes. His hands shine with some unearthly force.

He makes a swift gesture at you, and you feel all of your magical protections draining away...

Please list all of your non-Abjuration Buff Spells with a CL of 20 or less, and all of your Abjuration Buffs with a CL of 24 or less.

Superglucose
2010-02-13, 02:35 PM
Greater Mirror Image, True Seeing

Ray Deflection, Nerveskitter

Arcane Sight
Elemental Body (Air)
Superior Resistance

All CL 13.

What is this action you are taking?

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-13, 03:04 PM
I cast Spell Theft. All of your buffs are dispelled, and I gain all of them.

Suddenly, there are 9 men instead of one. They cruelly smirk before shooting thin, green rays at you.

RTA [Roll]1d20+12[/Toll]

If this hits, you are slowed with no saving throw.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-13, 03:05 PM
Whoops, mispelling...

[roll0]

Superglucose
2010-02-13, 03:51 PM
I auto-succeed my spellcraft check to identify it, and activate my Ring of Spell Battle to turn it back on you.

EDIT: The spell theft, not the other thing.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-13, 04:20 PM
My Spell Turning Turns it backwards towards you.

[roll0]

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-13, 04:54 PM
Olo:
Assuming that's supposed to represent your leftover Spell Turning, shouldn't it be 1d4+1 instead of 1d6+1?

Superglucose
2010-02-13, 07:01 PM
I am slowed, is that the end of the turn?

EDIT: I'll also need to see the magical auras on you, strength and school. I see them before you stole my Arcane Sight.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-13, 11:28 PM
Claudius: D'oh. Well, good to know you're watching.
[roll0]

4 Lesser Abjuration
2 Medium Abjuration
1 Strong Abjuration
1 Weak Transmutation
6 Medium Transmutation
3 Strong Transmutation
1 Strong Universal

That's for Buffs and Items, but does not include the effects I stole from you.

EDIT: End Turn.

Superglucose
2010-02-13, 11:52 PM
Standard Action: Stinking Cloud centered on you
Swift Action: Acid Fog centered on you (all the mirror images pop), you lose LoE and LoS, move at 5ft/round, etc. etc.
Damage from Acid Fog: [roll0]

Fort save DC 23 vs the Stinking Cloud

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-14, 12:12 AM
Mirror Images don't normally pop from being subjected to area attacks.

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 12:14 AM
Hmmm... +1 to list of houserules I've played under for too long.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-14, 12:33 AM
Fortitude Save: [roll0]

But Stinking Cloud is poison, right? I'm immune to poison.

Plus, while slowed, you may not take swift actions.

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 01:06 AM
In that case, take the acid fog and not the cloud. Duration on the slow effect?

Jeez, I suck at this lol :smalltongue: I should go back to Pokemon, I was at least good at that :smallwink:

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-14, 01:49 AM
16 more rounds.

Swift Action: Cast Sanctum Dispel Magic on the cloud, automatically dispelling it (assuming your caster level hasn't increased since you cast your buffs).
Standard Action: Arcane Fusion, creating a giant blast of light that rushes towards you.

RTA [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Also, if this hits, roll a DC 22 Will Save or be dazed for one turn.

EDIT: End Turn
EDIT2: Well, there are really four ways to get better. One, get explanation and "training" from a better optimizer. Two, read handbooks. Three, build random characters and test them on their effectiveness. Four, fight other characters so that you can see their inner workings.

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 01:53 AM
[roll0]

GG? Nope.

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 02:00 AM
One last hope:
I cast Black Tentacles on your location.

Grapple: [roll0]

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-14, 11:56 AM
The man smirks and claps his hands as you cast your spell. He is apparently unaffected by Black Tentacles.

Activate Limited Wish [Freedom of Movement]

He then shoots two rays at you: one light blue and small and one a huge jet of light. [Ray of Stupidty/Arcane Fusion]

RTA [roll0]
Damage [roll1] Intelligence damage
RTA [roll2]
Damage [roll3] and Will save DC 22 vs daze.

Superglucose
2010-02-14, 12:43 PM
dead

stupid needing more characters

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-14, 01:04 PM
Maybe not, depending on an upcoming ruling.

Olo:
The ruling in question is whether or not you can define a contingent Limited Wish when it is triggered. If you have some other means of obtaining FoM, the match is unaffected by this, but that contingency ruling may affect it otherwise.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-02-14, 02:21 PM
Claudius: You don't have to define it when you prepare it...I fail to see why one would have to define it for the contingency.

Also, it isn't unbalanced; it is a very expensive one shot item.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-14, 02:53 PM
Olo:
I've brought this up with the other DMs, since I'm not entirely sure about it.

I'm pretty confident you can't do this with a Contingency spell (putting aside the level limit for now) because Contingency specifies that the spell is cast when the Contingency is cast, and that it simply takes place later when it is triggered. Since you make decisions about a spell when you cast it, you need to determine the effect when you cast it with the Contingency. So Contingency: Teleport would need to define a destination when made contingent.

Craft Contingent Spell is less exact in its wording. Infuriatingly vague, even. Consequently I'm less sure of my argument here. It does say that it takes effect upon the bearer, which means that you are the target of the Limited Wish. The question is if you can be considered the caster as well.