PDA

View Full Version : "I Manifested Recollection Rune This Morning."

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-12, 02:21 AM
I wanted some critiques of a power I added to my psionic powers revision (http://www.sendspace.com/file/jah3p6) as a multipurpose analogue to explosive runes, arcane mark, and a bit more besides, so here it is.Recollection Rune (NAX)
Psychoportation
Level: Psion/wilder 1, psychic warrior 1
Display: Olfactory
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One unattended object or willing creature touched, or an object attended by a willing creature (see text)
Duration: Permanent [D] (see text)
Saving Throw: Reflex half (for the explosion effect)
Power Resistance: Yes (object)
Power Points: 1

You can place a stylized representation of your own personal truename (in the form of a unique rune) upon the subject.

You place a personal rune, similar to that created by the arcane mark spell, which is unique to you and cannot be reproduced in any way (even by illusions or through mundane means) upon one object or willing creature. This rune may be any color of your choosing, or may be invisible to normal sight, although it reveals itself under see invisibility, true seeing, detect magic, and similar abilities, and you are always aware of the presence of your runes and can see them if they are within line of sight.

Manifesting this power allows you to sense the direction and approximate distance from the rune if it is separated from you by more than a few feet, even if both line of sight and line of effect are blocked. You can sense its location to within 30 ft if within 1 mile; to within 1 mile if within 10 miles; to within 10 miles if within 100 miles; and to within 100 miles if within 1000 miles. You only get a vague sense of direction if you are separated from your rune by more than 1000 miles, and you cannot sense it at all if it is on a different plane than you.

You may activate a single recollection rune as a standard action (the equivalent of manifesting this power, which provokes attacks of opportunity, and can be disrupted), causing it to explode violently; this destroys the rune and deals 1d4+1 points of force damage to everything within a 10 ft burst (dealing double damage to whatever creature or object it was applied to). This function may be used at any time, even when you do not have line of sight or line of effect.

A single target may only be affected by a single instance of recollection rune per manifester at one time. Remanifesting this power merely replaces the old manifestation with the new one.

XP Cost (optional): 1 XP per power point spent on recollection rune. If you expend XP in this way, this power gains the (teleportation) descriptor, and its duration is “1 week/lvl or until discharged [D]”. Any time during the power’s duration, you may discharge an instance of recollection rune as a swift action to teleport a marked object (but not a creature) within your natural reach to your hand. Doing so erases the rune. This effect only works on objects of up to one size category smaller than you. Runes beyond this range remain viable, though discharging the power destroys the rune, but does not allow for teleportation.

This function is blocked (but not negated) by standard precautions regarding teleportation, such as null psionics field, psionic dimensional anchor, and spaces coated in lead.

Augment: 1. For every additional power point you spend, detonating the recollection rune deals an extra 1d4+1 points of damage.

2. If you spend 4 additional power points, this power’s range becomes “Close (25 ft + 5 ft/2 lvls),” and its target becomes “One unattended object or willing creature, or an object attended by a willing creature (see text).” This is also the range at which you can call the subject to your hand. You cannot augment recollection rune in this way without paying its XP cost.

2a. If you spend a total of 6 additional power points, its range becomes “Medium (100 ft + 10 ft/lvl).”

2b. If you spend a total of 8 additional power points, it becomes “Long (400 ft + 40 ft/lvl).”

2c. If you spend a total of 10 additional power points, it becomes “1 mile/lvl.”

2d. If you spend a total of 12 additional power points, it becomes “See text,” and you can call the target to hand from anywhere on the same plane of existence.

2e. If you spend a total of 16 additional power points, it becomes “See text,” and you can call the target to hand from literally anywhere in the multiverse, including the inner, outer, and transitive planes, pocket dimensions and demiplanes, and even from places outside the standard planar topological arrangement, such as from the Far Realm. You must call the subject from the present (rather than the future or the past), although you may teleport to you an object displaced in the time-stream so long as it had an analogue of some sort in the present during the time in which you manifested this power.

absolmorph
2010-02-12, 05:13 AM
"I activate Recollection Rune on my sword. I get the sword from tomorrow."
"Wha-... But..."
"I prepared Recollection Rune tomorrow."
As soon as I saw the bit about calling something as long as it has an analogue in the present...

Attilargh
2010-02-12, 05:33 AM
"I prepared Recollection Rune tomorrow."
For even better "Wha-" effect, activate a Recolleciton Rune manifested on someone this way.

I wish there was a way to augment this so that one could manifest it on unwilling targets. :smallamused:

absolmorph
2010-02-12, 05:43 AM
For even better "Wha-" effect, activate a Recolleciton Rune manifested on someone this way.

I wish there was a way to augment this so that one could manifest it on unwilling targets. :smallamused:
Heh.
Gonna pull the BBEG back to your time from the middle of the final showdown?

Optimystik
2010-02-12, 07:38 AM
Heh.
Gonna pull the BBEG back to your time from the middle of the final showdown?

You mean AFTER he's gone One-Winged Angel?

No thanks

megabyter5
2010-02-12, 07:53 AM
Hmm... So if you used this on the macguffin of the campaign after your party found it, you can retroactively have had the macguffin the whole time you were now not had to be looking for the macguffin? What if you tell the DM you activate the power as soon as you hear about it? Tell him that you were logically going to eventually mark it with Recollection Rune for that purpose, and now you've broken the campaign.

...He won't HAVE enough books to throw at you.

JeenLeen
2010-02-12, 09:04 AM
although you may teleport to you an object displaced in the time-stream so long as it has an analogue of some sort in the present time.

This "displaced" would, I think, make it how you can't just grab something because it is in the future or past. It would have to be displaced there, somehow in its wrong time.

At least, that's a reading of it that I think would avoid a lot of brokenness, such as mentioned above.

Sophismata
2010-02-12, 09:57 AM
Honestly, I don't find any of the 'broken' readings that compelling. They're all a stretch (and not a particularly logical one at that).

Edit: You cannot, for example, dismiss / discharge the power if you haven't yet manifested it, even if you will manifest it at some future date. There is no rule allowing the power to bypass causality.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-12, 01:22 PM
This "displaced" would, I think, make it how you can't just grab something because it is in the future or past. It would have to be displaced there, somehow in its wrong time.

At least, that's a reading of it that I think would avoid a lot of brokenness, such as mentioned above.Thank you. I'm glad somebody caught it.

Honestly, I don't find any of the 'broken' readings that compelling. They're all a stretch (and not a particularly logical one at that).

Edit: You cannot, for example, dismiss / discharge the power if you haven't yet manifested it, even if you will manifest it at some future date. There is no rule allowing the power to bypass causality.See? Someone else gets it.

*Tosses Sophismata and JeenLeen a treat*

http://therawfeed.com/pix/google_cookie.jpg

Everyone else? Y'all broke the rules. It's time for your punishment.

*Blows his whistle* BARK LIKE THE DOGS YOU ARE!

:smallamused:

Attilargh
2010-02-12, 01:51 PM
I'll pass. But enlighten a poor Finn, how can an object have an analogue in the present if it is not, uh, present in the present?

Zom B
2010-02-12, 01:58 PM
Display: Olfactory

Wait...you can smell it?

NEO|Phyte
2010-02-12, 02:00 PM
Wait...you can smell it?

It's a scratch-and-sniff.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-12, 02:00 PM
I'll pass. But enlighten a poor Finn, how can an object have an analogue in the present if it is not, uh, present in the present?This is D&D; weird stuff happens all the time.

But perhaps I should clarify a little bit. Maybe "had an analogue in the present when you manifested recollection rune"?

Wait...you can smell it?Do you see what I smell?

http://www.stickergiant.com/Merchant2/imgs/450/aad820_450.jpeg