PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Priorities poll

Draz74
2010-02-12, 02:31 AM
I'm working on my own version of the ultimate well-rounded (non-gamebreaking, but definitely with a few slightly cheesy morsels) non-magical warrior build, and I'd like some opinions on the order that his priorities should take.

In what order should he pick his feats in order to be good at the following general tasks at low levels?

controlling the battlefield, i.e. using a reach weapon and picking up Combat Reflexes
tripping, as long as his foes aren't too huge
wielding a shield and using its spikes for effective two-weapon fighting

At higher levels, he will be good at all of these things. But I'm having the hardest time prioritizing those first few feats and maneuvers.

The relative power of these strategies is a consideration; but I'm concerned about fluff, too. Which of these styles of fighting says "ultimate badass normal" to you the most?

Draz74
2010-02-16, 06:16 PM
No opinions on this? Doesn't seem like such a hard question to me. :smallwink:

Starbuck_II
2010-02-16, 06:19 PM
I'm working on my own version of the ultimate well-rounded (non-gamebreaking, but definitely with a few slightly cheesy morsels) non-magical warrior build, and I'd like some opinions on the order that his priorities should take.

In what order should he pick his feats in order to be good at the following general tasks at low levels?

controlling the battlefield, i.e. using a reach weapon and picking up Combat Reflexes
tripping, as long as his foes aren't too huge
wielding a shield and using its spikes for effective two-weapon fighting

At higher levels, he will be good at all of these things. But I'm having the hardest time prioritizing those first few feats and maneuvers.

The relative power of these strategies is a consideration; but I'm concerned about fluff, too. Which of these styles of fighting says "ultimate badass normal" to you the most?

Controlling first, then tripping. TWFing? That confuses me... it seems all over the place.

Ashiel
2010-02-16, 06:24 PM
I'd say have the first priorities be control with damage being a second. Control being ideal because it allows you to protect your allies, and allows you to protect yourself. Most control builds also deal with two handed weapons, so dealing damage comes naturally. Also, control tactics give you an advantage against most enemies, and equalize when you would otherwise be at an advantage (for example, against foes with a 5ft reach, you win. Against foes with a 10ft reach, you tie).

With a few feats (like Combat Reflexes + Stand Still), you can hold ground pretty effectively without consuming too many of your attack actions; which gives you some options. Sword & Board is good against multiple weak opponents (since your increased AC helps avoid being swarmed), but dual wielding - sadly, requires you to both make yourself available to your opponent, as well as relying on full-attacks to get the most out of. Also requires feat expenditure.

Just some ideas. :smallsmile:

PS: If someone asks as to why you should focus on dealing damage, here's why. At lower levels (since you said you'll eventually be able to do all of the above and more), damage is a very effective method for dealing with opponents. Even still at higher levels, fighter-types are the more efficient forms of dealing damage, while spell-casters and such facilitate the means to inflict that damage (by buffing / debuffing / battlefield control). Your control based tactics (reach, for example) will still serve you well even while dealing damage.

Draz74
2010-02-16, 06:25 PM
Controlling first, then tripping.
And is this assessment based on fluff, or crunch? (Both are valued, but I'm especially curious what people think is most iconic fluff-wise.)

TWFing? That confuses me... it seems all over the place.

This build ends up with 21 feats at level 20. It can afford to be all over the place.

I'd say have the first priorities be control with damage being a second. Control being ideal because it allows you to protect your allies, and allows you to protect yourself. Most control builds also deal with two handed weapons, so dealing damage comes naturally.
Yeah, this build won't end up with two-handed weapons (though it might start out with them, i.e. a Glaive or Guisarme). But that's ok ... it won't end up with Power Attack either. It has other ways of dealing enough damage to matter (hint: maneuvers and Stormguard Warrior).

But if you're claiming that protecting one's allies is a more iconic part of being a warrior than using a shield or knocking things down, then that's valuable input for me. And yes, a reach weapon and Combat Reflexes will definitely be the way to go ASAP for protecting my allies.

Ashiel
2010-02-16, 06:31 PM
And is this assessment based on fluff, or crunch? (Both are valued, but I'm especially curious what people think is most iconic fluff-wise.

Fluff wise, it would be easier to learn how to keep opponents at bay with reach weapons than it would be to learn to effectively trip them. It's a very standard combat technique. Mechanically it's easier to step into the path of controlling as well, merely by grabbing a reach weapon and making it seem less appealing to get within pointy distance; with feats like combat reflexes and stand still being ideal. Tripping is more complicated and also less useful against a lot of creatures (creatures with 4 or more legs get a +4 to resist, it's strength or dexterity resisted, size modifiers apply, and so on).

If you can easily fit tripping in, sure, it's a good option to have against foes that it is strong against. The former is more useful in more situations and easier to set up from the beginning, and it scales better.

Draz74
2010-02-16, 06:35 PM
Ashiel -- did you see my response to your post that I edited in above?

Tripping is more complicated and also less useful against a lot of creatures (creatures with 4 or more legs get a +4 to resist, it's strength or dexterity resisted, size modifiers apply, and so on).

That could be an argument in favor of picking up Tripping early, before the character is likely to meet many Large+ creatures, and picking up battlefield control later.

Boci
2010-02-16, 06:40 PM
This build ends up with 21 feats at level 20. It can afford to be all over the place.

You can dual wield Kusuri-gama from the DMG (exotic weapons) with willing deformity and deformity (tall) for a reach of 20ft with each. Thats four feats, assuming you take only two-weapon fighting.

Combat expertise, combat reflexes and improved trip for you know what. Thats another 3. That feat beginning with J for a +4 on tripping attempts. Twin strike to attack with both weapons on an AoO.

That a total of 9 feats so far.

Thicket of blades is a must. Standstill works fell with that, as does mage slayer, supernatural crusader and defensive sweep. The fighter alternative class feature that allows you to double the damage of AoO is another solid choice.

Thats another 5 feats (well 4, and the loss of another one to a ACF) for a total of 14 (16 if you spend 2 feats to acquire thicket of blades instead of taking a level dip).

Draz74
2010-02-16, 07:14 PM
While the order is what I'm still trying to figure out, the plan is for the build to go like:

Warblade 20//Rogue 2/Swordsage 2/Barbarian 1/Crusader 2/Fighter 2/Master of Nine 5/Psychic Warrior 2/Factotum 1/Uncanny Trickster 3

with the Unarmed Swordsage variant, the Whirling Frenzy Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian variant, and the Feat Rogue variant.

And yes, he is planning on using the Kusari-gama. Not the Deformity feats, though -- while they'd be powerful, they don't fit the character concept very well. He wants to still look like a normal human throughout his career.

Unfortunately Mage Slayer and Defensive Sweep probably won't fit.

Again, what I'm struggling with is mainly the order to take classes and feats. I start with 5 feats; one of them is going to be Battle Jump (which cannot be taken at a later level). The others ...

EWP, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes? (tripping focus)
Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, Improved Initiative, Ironheart Aura? (control focus)
EWP, Shield Specialization, Improved Shield Bash, Agile Shield Fighter? (shield focus)

EDIT: I should point out that I am starting out with Punishing Stance, and if I go for the shield focus direction, I will also take Wolf Fang Strike and Sudden Leap as two of my first-level maneuvers. So I think the shield-bashing direction could actually do a lot of damage right from level 1.

Also, I suppose I could skip the Factotum level in favor of another Barbarian level, using the Wolf Totem variant to pick up Improved Trip. That would be an easy way to get Tripping excellence early on, without having to spend my precious early feats on it (and in fact, in the long run I'd save two feats, which could be used for some of the other suggestions that have come up in this thread). Yeah, I think I'll do that.

Ashiel
2010-02-17, 12:35 AM
Ashiel -- did you see my response to your post that I edited in above?

That could be an argument in favor of picking up Tripping early, before the character is likely to meet many Large+ creatures, and picking up battlefield control later.

Yeah, I saw your edited response. Sorry I couldn't reply sooner.

I would still suggest going the control route. Kusari-gamas would also be good at higher levels, but at lower ones I'd push for a solid pole arm (I'm fond of ranseur + locked gauntlet). You can encounter large creatures early on (ogres are CR 3. Also, plenty of low level enemies are quadrupeds and have decent strengths. Most CR 1-3 animals are quadrupeds and have strength scores around +2 to +4 easily.

The increased reach benefits you in most situations; unless you are grappled, but then you're wearing gauntlets (and hopefully a spiked/slashing/crushing gauntlet) to fight back with during the grapple. In the case of the ranseur, you can even use the reach to disarm people (+2 disarm weapon ability, and +4 for two handed) without provoking attacks - even without improved disarm - and then receive a +10 bonus to avoid being disarmed on a failed attempt (due to the locked gauntlet).

Against the quadrupeds, pole-arm is good. Against the ogre, pole-arm is good. Against the orc, pole-arm is good. Against the giant spider, pole-arm is good. Tripping? It's good against the orc; and that's sort of iffy since the orc has a good strength for its level too; but it's got the least chance of resisting it.

Swapping later to dual kusari-gama isn't a bad idea though. I've played with characters who had some fun with that.

Vampire D
2010-02-18, 01:07 PM
For a fighter at low lvs i prefer to dup my first feats in to PBS, Rapid shot, and lastly either far shot or exotic weapon profiency of some sort so i can later pick up combat reflexs. I use these bow Feats to make a difference in damabe at lower lvs and provide some ranged cover if my charater is jumping into a fight.

Draz74
2010-02-18, 02:27 PM
@Vampire D: Unfortunately, a specialized archer this guy is not. Other than high BAB, proficiencies, and eventually Time Stands Still, he won't have much to offer in a ranged fight. He might even have the Shaky flaw.

Yeah, I saw your edited response. Sorry I couldn't reply sooner.
No problem -- I was just afraid you'd read my post before I edited in the response to you.

I would still suggest going the control route. Kusari-gamas would also be good at higher levels, but at lower ones I'd push for a solid pole arm (I'm fond of ranseur + locked gauntlet). You can encounter large creatures early on (ogres are CR 3. Also, plenty of low level enemies are quadrupeds and have decent strengths. Most CR 1-3 animals are quadrupeds and have strength scores around +2 to +4 easily.

[snip]
Well, with decent Strength, Improved Trip, and a Setting Sun maneuver, tripping the Orc is going to be pretty easy.

Still, I think I'll go with your suggestion and make this build a Control type at low levels. The downside is that, as he takes shield-boosting feats, the first couple will be kind of useless until he has the others. Oh well.

That ranseur/locked gauntlet combo is pretty cool, btw. I never realized how easy it was to avoid the problems of Disarming without spending a feat or a maneuver on boosting it.

Swapping later to dual kusari-gama isn't a bad idea though. I've played with characters who had some fun with that.
Heh, cute, but this guy definitely is going to use a shield. Shield spikes/kusari-gama/snap kick.

So with the extra Barbarian level I've inserted, there are two more feats this guy could end up choosing. I'm open to suggestions. Here are the feats he'll already have:

Shield use: Improved Shield Bash, Shield Specialization, Agile Shield Fighter, Shield Ward
Battlefield control: Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, Improved Trip, Exotic Weapon Proficiency
Massive damage: Battle Jump, Stormguard Warrior, Robilar's Gambit, Snap Kick
Prereqs: Ironheart Aura, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Initiative, Blind-Fight, Adaptive Style, Desert Wind Dodge
Other: Martial Study, (warblade bonus:) Iron Will

So what other two should he fit in on top of those? Defensive Sweep? Mage Slayer/Pierce Magical Concealment? Shield Charge/Shield Slam? Combat Focus/Combat Awareness/give up something else for Combat Vigor?

valadil
2010-02-18, 02:44 PM
Control via tripping. Nothing quite like a spiked chain wielder with improved trip and combat reflexes.

Ashiel
2010-02-18, 03:52 PM

Still, I think I'll go with your suggestion and make this build a Control type at low levels. The downside is that, as he takes shield-boosting feats, the first couple will be kind of useless until he has the others. Oh well.

That ranseur/locked gauntlet combo is pretty cool, btw. I never realized how easy it was to avoid the problems of Disarming without spending a feat or a maneuver on boosting it.

Yeah, I enjoy using that strategy; especially at low levels. My players also have learned to fear warrior and expert NPCs who focus on lock-down and kill tactics. In one of my more memorable low-level games, there was a group of bandits who were being trained by an ex-military fighter turned highwayman (a bit cliche I know; but logical).

All the warriors and experts were human. They simply wore studded leather, carried pole-arms and nets. The experts had tricked out tumble skills, and wielded long-spears (simple weapon proficiency), while the warriors carried ranseurs. They would open the fight with nets (ranged touch with a -4 penalty for non-proficiency, but it's a touch attack so it still works well) which entangled foes to cut their movement, armor class, and attack rolls. Then they would all bust into flanking positions, with the experts tumbling when needed.

Their reach allowed them to flank from great distances, and often multiple opponents at the same time, while increasing their attack rolls by +2 (which combined with the ranseur's +2 to disarm was really nasty). They basically netted you, took your weapons, then took turns poking you until dead or you cried uncle. EDIT: Almost forgot! When so many people are flanking you with reach weapons, closing in on one can often provoke attacks from others. :smalleek:

More frighteningly was the adepts. They were geared like the experts (long-spears), and were pretty munch indistinguishable from them, until they started casting save or dies on you (each could cast sleep two times per day, and had spell focus and greater focus enchantment, bringing it to a DC 14 will save). Since they had long-spears, they got to get in on the fun with the rest of the NPCs with the flanking and the poking.

All this nastiness, and my players tell me they love my games. :smallsmile:

So with the extra Barbarian level I've inserted, there are two more feats this guy could end up choosing. I'm open to suggestions. Here are the feats he'll already have:

Shield use: Improved Shield Bash, Shield Specialization, Agile Shield Fighter, Shield Ward
Battlefield control: Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, Improved Trip, Exotic Weapon Proficiency
Massive damage: Battle Jump, Stormguard Warrior, Robilar's Gambit, Snap Kick
Prereqs: Ironheart Aura, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Initiative, Blind-Fight, Adaptive Style, Desert Wind Dodge
Other: Martial Study, (warblade bonus:) Iron Will

So what other two should he fit in on top of those? Defensive Sweep? Mage Slayer/Pierce Magical Concealment? Shield Charge/Shield Slam? Combat Focus/Combat Awareness/give up something else for Combat Vigor?

Well back on topic, there's a few good options to consider.
Firstly, if equipment is an option, I really must say the mage-slayer/pierce magical concealment is amazingly good for a pure-warrior type. It makes you better at control and lock-down (now being able to harass and lock-down casters as well), and it also makes you more offensive all the way around.

Pierce magical concealment allows you to wear a Ring of Blinking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#blinking) to be under the effects of the blink spell at all times. The beauty of this is you ignore the drawbacks of the blink spell because of your pierce magical concealment feat; while gaining a 50% concealment against opponents regardless of sight (this prevents sneak attacks as well), while being able to strike with bonuses as if you were invisible (opponents are flat footed to you, and you get a +2 to hit), and you take 1/2 damage from AoE attacks, and spells targeting you fail 50% of the time. Get your wizard buddy to craft one of these for you, ASAP.

Otherwise, Combat Expertise isn't bad for a martial adept. Mainly since taking attack penalties generally hurts full attacks (since your full BAB will barely feel it, but your secondary hits need all the +hit they can get). However, martial adepts can use a lot of single-strike standard actions which are good. Taking a few penalties to their hit rolls rarely hurts them, but can make them far more capable of tanking full attacks, multiple foes, or giving them a nice power attack resistance (I say resistance since it's +2 less damage they could safely add onto their damage without risking poor accuracy).

But I'd probably go with the former, personally.

Draz74
2010-02-18, 04:00 PM
In one of my more memorable low-level games, there was a group of bandits ...

All this nastiness, and my players tell me they love my games. :smallsmile:
Very nice!

Otherwise, Combat Expertise isn't bad for a martial adept. Mainly since taking attack penalties generally hurts full attacks (since your full BAB will barely feel it, but your secondary hits need all the +hit they can get). However, martial adepts can use a lot of single-strike standard actions which are good. Taking a few penalties to their hit rolls rarely hurts them, but can make them far more capable of tanking full attacks, multiple foes, or giving them a nice power attack resistance (I say resistance since it's +2 less damage they could safely add onto their damage without risking poor accuracy).

Oooh, yeah. And everything you say is so much more true when Stormguard Warrior is added into the picture. (If you do want to use Combat Expertise while full attacking, that's fine, just use your last two iterative attacks for Combat Rhythm instead of misses.) And Combat Expertise feels very appropriate for the character, too. (Makes me wish I could fit Pearl of Black Doubt into the build somewhere, too ...)

If I pick Combat Expertise, what else?

ericgrau
2010-02-18, 04:01 PM
In order:
1. Damage, except in a humanoid heavy campaign, because control doesn't work on everything. Fortunately you can often get control without sacrificing much damage.
2. Control, because it is great when it does work.
3. Defense, because it is cheap to get a lot in D&D so the best defense... is a good defense. Also means it still leaves a lot of resources for offense.
4. Utility, because when you have a handy haversack and a lot of coin, it's not much trouble to carry around tanglefoot bags for winged creatures, bolas and nets for whatever runs (even at a -4 non-proficiency penalty to your touch attack), weird wondrous items for w/e situation, etc., etc.

Ashiel
2010-02-18, 04:26 PM
Oooh, yeah. And everything you say is so much more true when Stormguard Warrior is added into the picture. (If you do want to use Combat Expertise while full attacking, that's fine, just use your last two iterative attacks for Combat Rhythm instead of misses.) And Combat Expertise feels very appropriate for the character, too. (Makes me wish I could fit Pearl of Black Doubt into the build somewhere, too ...)

If I pick Combat Expertise, what else?

Well let's see. Hmmm. If that was the case, you could still fit mage slayer so you could lock-down mages by preventing them from casting defensively (if they're using spell components, you can AoO to disarm them of said components, otherwise, just cause as much damage or disruption as possible). Since they can't cast defensively, they have to get out of your lockdown range, which can be difficult for squishies.

Alternatively, Superior Expertise (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#superiorExpertise), which was reprinted in the Complete Warrior (I believe) removes the BAB cap on your combat expertise. That's likely overkill though, but I've seen some players make it worthwhile (pretty much tanking the hell out of anything with melee attacks while still managing to hit reliably).

Here's a fun one! If you can manage the 10 ranks in Hide and 2 ranks in Perform, Cloak Dance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#cloakDance) is a very fun feat for a martial adept, since you can provide yourself concealment and still pop standard and swift actions. This has a really cool flavor of feinting and dueling to me, which might fit your experienced warrior.

Alternatively, since you have Blind-Fight already, if you have the Wisdom for it, 5ft Blindsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#blindsight5FtRadius) can come in handy for a number of things; and can even help with foiling people using blink if you can close into melee with them.

You might consider Knock-down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) as well. It can harass people people, and works well with pretty much any warrior, but doubly so with control warriors and trip builds.

Hold the Line (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#holdTheLine) can likewise piss enemies off pretty bad. You can AoO them when they enter your spaces on a charge and when they exit your spaces! It also tends to hurt charge builds pretty badly, since there's a solid chance you can prevent the charge from happening (AoO --> Disarm Lance = Screwed and now in your prison of melee lockdown).

Thoughts? :smallsmile:

sombrastewart
2010-02-18, 04:32 PM
What, no Destrucity?

Draz74
2010-02-18, 04:33 PM
What, no Destrucity?

What's that?

Ashiel
2010-02-18, 04:33 PM
What, no Destrucity?

Not familiar with it, so...maybe?

Draz74
2010-02-18, 05:15 PM
Well let's see. Hmmm.
mage slayer
Maybe. I guess I have to decide how much this guy is supposed to care about fighting mages in particular. But this is not a bad option.

Superior Expertise (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#superiorExpertise)
Overkill indeed.

Cloak Dance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#cloakDance)
Seems underwhelming, especially since he would be taking it at higher levels, when a Lesser Cloak of Displacement is pretty affordable. It is better than taking Martial Stance (Child of Shadow), just because it can be used at the same time as another stance, but that's not saying much.

5ft Blindsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#blindsight5FtRadius)
I thought about that. But he'll have the Hearing the Air stance anyway, and when you have Blindsense and Blind-Fight and a good Listen check, upgrading to Blindsight really doesn't do too much.

Besides, if I were going to take that feat, I'd want to find a way to take Combat Awareness (from the PHB2) instead, and squeeze in Combat Focus and Combat (Stability/Vigor) somehow.

Knock-down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown)
Ooooh, strangely I hadn't thought of that. Nice. I'm using just enough cheese with this guy (e.g. Flaws, Unarmed Swordsage with no disadvantages because he gets armor proficiency from other classes) that I could almost justify the cheesy interpretation of Knock-Down. (Hit them, get a free trip attempt from Knock-Down, and if it works, get a free attack against them from Improved Trip.)

Yeah, that could be pretty awesome. If there are any high-level foes that can actually be tripped.

Hold the Line (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#holdTheLine)

Meh, if I'm expecting to get Charged at all, I think it's better just to ready the Counter Charge maneuver.

Emmerask
2010-02-18, 05:27 PM
Hm donīt really know about the controlling part a caster is usually much much better at that so I would not go that route, for fighter types there is usually only one role left and that is damage dealer.

So my priority would be:
damage (charge shocktrooper etc)
survivability (after a charge you want to still stand the next round)
Control (but more along the lines of mageslayer etc)

Ashiel
2010-02-18, 05:52 PM
Ooooh, strangely I hadn't thought of that. Nice. I'm using just enough cheese with this guy (e.g. Flaws, Unarmed Swordsage with no disadvantages because he gets armor proficiency from other classes) that I could almost justify the cheesy interpretation of Knock-Down. (Hit them, get a free trip attempt from Knock-Down, and if it works, get a free attack against them from Improved Trip.)

Yeah, that could be pretty awesome. If there are any high-level foes that can actually be tripped.

I had a player who was playing a fairly average fighter who wielded a whip and bastard sword. He could reliably trip things like tyrannosaur. :smalltongue:

Also, by level 20 it's relatively easy to have a +10 strength modifier (+14 with improved trip). That's not assuming bonuses from stuff like Enlarge Person potions or buffs (more reach, more damage, and more trippage), or other benefits. Considering the effortless task of dealing 10 damage with any given swing, it's a fun feat 'cause you can just say "I would like to trip as well." lol

EDIT: Oh, and of course it's still solid against high level humanoid NPCs, mind-flayers, liches, and lots of other nasties.

Master_Rahl22
2010-02-18, 09:20 PM
It depends on what kind of warrior we're talking about which says "Ultimate Badass" to me. A lockdown Crusader with a reach weapon and AoO focus has the ability to say "NO! Bad monster!!" to just about anything the enemy tries to do, and that's pretty badass. A raging, Leap Attacking Shock Trooper Barb that does hundreds of damage per attack is pretty badass too. It all depends on your perspective. Both of those builds are really effective fluff wise as well as crunch wise. I say pick one and go with that.

Draz74
2010-02-19, 01:32 AM
OK, let's see what we've got so far. I'm going to go mostly with the Controller tactic for early levels.

Using a 32-point buy.

As much as it pains me to permanently lose six skill points by not starting with a Rogue level, I'm thinking of going with a Swordsage level first. It seems like it will just make the maneuvers and feats work out more nicely at level 1.

Murn Brodin, ECL 1
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 8
Human Warblade 1//Swordsage* 1

*Unarmed Swordsage variant

So at this level Murn has four feats, not counting the bonus feats from Swordsage (Improved Unarmed Strike and a pseudo-Weapon Focus). One of these should certainly be Battle Jump. (It can only be taken at first level, it does a good job representing the character is acrobatically amazing right away, and later on it will have great synergy with abilities like Pounce and Leading the Charge.)

For the other three feats, I think I'll start with Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, and Desert Wind Dodge. (The latter is stronger at Level 1 than it will be at higher levels.)

Murn will probably carry a golf bag of Glaive, Ranseur, and Guisarme even at level 1, but will probably use the Glaive the most, along with his Unarmed Strike.

To get all of those feats, I have to take two flaws. I've narrowed the choices down to: Brash, Bravado, Glory-Hound, Shaky, Vulnerable. Any input? I see Murn as sort of a loner at heart, but I don't want him to be totally incompatible with party-based play. Vulnerable seems like an obvious choice at Level 1, when his AC will be pretty trashy anyway, but eventually I'm hoping to get him a pretty impressive AC (with a shield, good Dex, and Wis to AC).

Murn also starts with a whopping 11 maneuvers (including stances). I'm leaning towards the following, but willing to change most of them if people recommend it. Keep in mind that the Warblade maneuvers will likely get swapped out eventually, while Murn's more or less stuck with the Swordsage choices for good.

Warblade
Punishing Stance
Wolf Fang Strike
Stone Bones
Sapphire Nightmare Blade
Swordsage
Step of the Wind
Mighty Throw
Sudden Leap
Charging Minotaur
Moment of Perfect Mind
Wind Stride
Counter Charge

Skills mostly seem obvious:
Climb 4, Jump 4, Tumble 4, Balance 3, Intimidate 4, Concentration 4, Sense Motive 4, Listen 4, Martial Lore 1

Finally, equipment is pretty simple at this level. Scale Mail, Locked Gauntlet, an array of weapons (three polearms, dagger, bola, net), and general gear (backpack, rations, rope, whatever).