PDA

View Full Version : Names and the like.

Anuan
2010-02-12, 06:30 AM
Names are an interesting thing. They've often got interesting histories both in their etymology and through their connection, in some cases, to famous people. Some are just plain nice, or beautiful, or have a family tradition. Surnames, of course, have specific histories etc.

So, Playground... Names. Talk about them. What would you like to name your child? Why? What's your name, or surname, if you're okay with giving us that. Do you like it? What's the history behind it? Any famous people in your ancestry?

Personally, I dislike my first name. I've no real reason why not, I just...don't like it at all. I'd go by my middle name of Andrew if I could be bothered doing the whole name-change thing.

rakkoon
2010-02-12, 06:44 AM
I actually know someone whose first name is 'Bruce-Lee'.
Patricide is not always a sin...

thubby
2010-02-12, 06:45 AM
I have a dog named gracie, who has a brother named george. cookie for the reference.
I would name my kid alex, because I have always liked names that start with A, and an alex managed to conquer the known world.

I've always been rather apathetic towards my name.

ForzaFiori
2010-02-12, 06:56 AM
I like my name personally. It's not super amazing or anything, but its pretty cool. As for my kids, I've promised a friend I'd name a daughter Caitlynn Marie.

Serpentine
2010-02-12, 06:58 AM
I would name my kid alex, because I have always liked names that start with A, and an alex managed to conquer the known world.I know a family in which the children are called, in order from oldest to youngest: Ashley, Aaron, Adam, Amy. They also had a cockatiel called Angus.
Handy segue(?): my baby nephew's called Alexander. I was disappointed in that name choice because it spoiled a burgeoning tradition. Y'see, when my other nephew was born, his noises sounded like he was laughing. So, my sister called him Izaac, which means "he laughs" or "laughter". Now, when Alexander was born, he sounded like a lamb baaing. So, we started looking for names relating to "lamb" or "sheep" or "goat" or similar. I came up with a list of some very nice ones, and not all of them too weird. But, alas, then they found out about his birth defect and had to rush him off to another hospital for surgery. My sister wanted something to write down in the paperwork (Dr. Mum said "Baby [Surname]" would be sufficient, but she decided not to), so she went with one she and her partner had been kicking around for a while. I think it's a little dull, but they call him Alexander the Great a lot, so that's okay.
When I was born, my parents gave said sister a list of 3 names: Jessie, Linden and Lauren (if she'd had free reign to choose, I'd be Lucy, because everything was Lucy). I don't think much of Lauren, but I like Linden and Jessie a lot. In fact, Linden is on my list of potential offspring names (boy or girl) along with Xavier (boy), Jezebel (girl) and (now) Roland. There's more, but I forget 'em...

llamamushroom
2010-02-12, 07:19 AM
I've always been worried that my first name is a bit of a prophecy. Y'see, Cameron is Scottish Gaelic for "crooked nose", so I have a bit of a phobia of my sizeable schnoz being broken. Originally, I was to be Gregory, but then my initials would've been G. G., so Granny put her foot down.

In terms of children's names, I've always liked Jessica, but with a cousin already named that (and not looking like named-after material) I'd probably go with Merryn, Merrily or Cassandra for a daughter; Michael, Daniel or Gabriel for a son. To be honest, Gabriel is the most likely.

But, without serious change to Australian laws, kids aren't all that likely for me. Dogs, on the other hand, are going to be [syllable]-ie. Robbie, Jessie, Kylie, something like that.

FirebirdFlying
2010-02-12, 07:19 AM
…My dad, apparently, wanted to name me Tecumseh. I'm happy with my name right now, though. (It is not Tecumseh).

Lessee - I knew this guy called Thunder. We called him Storm-child.

Eldan
2010-02-12, 07:21 AM
I'm very, very manly. Or at least my name says so :smalltongue:

GolemsVoice
2010-02-12, 07:21 AM
I'm named after the patron saint of winemaking and Franconia, so that's that. I guess I could have had better names, but a lot worse. Afra, for example, had I been a girl...
I want to name my children Baal, Dagon, Leviathan and Sam. Whichever fits the most.

Serpentine
2010-02-12, 07:24 AM
But, without serious change to Australian laws, kids aren't all that likely for me. Dogs, on the other hand, are going to be [syllable]-ie. Robbie, Jessie, Kylie, something like that.Apparently, along with Dog, Jessie is the most popular name for dogs in Australia (and New Zealand) :smallsigh:

My ex and his brother (Geoffrey and Robert, respectively) would have been called Angus and Mungo (also respectively) if their mother had had her way.

Anuan
2010-02-12, 07:27 AM
Hah! My brother's dog was adopted at a year old from a family, the parents of which had given him the name Angus, but the children had firmly nicknamed Mango. He answers to both, though the former seems to confuse him a little.

Brother Oni
2010-02-12, 07:31 AM
A friend was telling me that her grandmother wanted to name her 'Ulala' (like the video game character), which is a old fashioned Japanese name apparently.
Unsurprisingly that got shot down by her parents. :smallbiggrin:

Names in Chinese are often very full of meaning, but they're only apparent in the kanji used to write them.

For example, part of my name means 'beautiful horse' (no dirty comments please). I know someone called 'bright/intelligent' 'spear point/sharp (as in blade)', so his name could theoretically be translated as 'Bright Spear', a martial name if I ever heard one. :smallbiggrin:
Someone else I know has the theoretical name 'Eternal Justice'.

For those people wondering, this is why Exalted charm names sound so epic - they're all translated from Chinese. :smallbiggrin:

llamamushroom
2010-02-12, 07:46 AM
Names in Chinese are often very full of meaning, but they're only apparent in the kanji used to write them.

For example, part of my name means 'beautiful horse' (no dirty comments please). I know someone called 'bright/intelligent' 'spear point/sharp (as in blade)', so his name could theoretically be translated as 'Bright Spear', a martial name if I ever heard one. :smallbiggrin:
Someone else I know has the theoretical name 'Eternal Justice'.

One of my friend's Chinese name means "excellence", and I think another was "honour", but that was more a "this is the closest I can get in your stupid language :smallbiggrin:" sort of translation. My Chinese teacher has basically said that we are never, EVER to translate names. It does not happen. Which confuses me greatly.

Apparently, along with Dog, Jessie is the most popular name for dogs in Australia (and New Zealand)

That's because it's such an awesome name! :smallwink:

Well, what would you call a dog?

Anuan
2010-02-12, 07:52 AM
I know someone called 'bright/intelligent' 'spear point/sharp (as in blade)', so his name could theoretically be translated as 'Bright Spear', a martial name if I ever heard one. :smallbiggrin:

I need the Pinyin for this. Neeeed.

Serpentine
2010-02-12, 07:56 AM
One of my friend's Chinese name means "excellence", and I think another was "honour", but that was more a "this is the closest I can get in your stupid language :smallbiggrin:" sort of translation. My Chinese teacher has basically said that we are never, EVER to translate names. It does not happen. Which confuses me greatly.My Japanese exchange student kept getting asked by people to write their names in kanji. That bit was fine. But then they started asking what it means... She never did manage to explain that kanji just represents sounds, like our letters, not words, like the Chinese and other Japanese characters (forget what they're called).

Well, what would you call a dog?My stepdad's late dog (rest her soul) was called Amy, after his niece. But more to the point, Jessie and Dog are both from Footrot Flats, and Jessie is MY name doggone it!

Zar Peter
2010-02-12, 07:59 AM
My first son and I share the same name day. That wasn't the intention of naming him Paul, though.
And we thought for giving birth to a third child we deserve an Oskar. And, well, that's his name. :smallbiggrin:
And middle child is called Caroline mostly because we both agreed that this is the girl name we like most. (Actually, if Paul would have been a girl we would have name him Caroline and if Oskar was a girl we had to ponder a long time about a new girl name).

snoopy13a
2010-02-12, 08:09 AM
I'm naming my son Sue to make him tough and make him mean :smalltongue:

Seriously, I'd recommend that parents who decide to give their child an "unique" first name should consider giving their child a common middle name. That way, if they feel embarassed about their first name, they always just go by their first initial and middle name. The same goes for if one wants to give their child an old fashioned name that is traditional for the family.

Anuan
My Japanese exchange student kept getting asked by people to write their names in kanji. That bit was fine. But then they started asking what it means... She never did manage to explain that kanji just represents sounds, like our letters, not words, like the Chinese and other Japanese characters (forget what they're called).
My stepdad's late dog (rest her soul) was called Amy, after his niece. But more to the point, Jessie and Dog are both from Footrot Flats, and Jessie is MY name doggone it!

Hiragana? Katakana?

As for Footrot Flats, I'm pretty sure the...she-dog (woo, censor! >.>) was just called Jess officially. Jessie as an affectionate expansion. Wheras your name is Jessie without any expansion or whatever. Be peaceful! :smallbiggrin:

As for naming your kids; my first son will be called William Felix. If I have a second son, his name will be Jack Tobias. My wife can have naming-rights for any subsequent sons and any daughters :smalltongue:

Totally Guy
Guy here.

It's pretty funny when you hear one group shout to another "Guys stop!" Always confuses me.

Of course I also answer to Super G. That's what my work mates call me. But there is a Super G Acoustic Panel that we were buying recently so it got a bit confusing.

I need a Super G logo for my car... Last time I gave my dad a ride he asked me if I was actually a super hero. Before the end of the journey he'd invented a 1980's style cartoon intro for me to have as my Super G theme tune. It overused the word muggers... and hyundai.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-12, 08:19 AM
I will name my children thusly:

Christian, Clark, Bruce, Artemis, Temperance, Diana.

Serpentine
2010-02-12, 08:33 AM
Seriously, I'd recommend that parents who decide to give their child an "unique" first name should consider giving their child a common middle name. That way, if they feel embarassed about their first name, they always just go by their first initial and middle name. The same goes for if one wants to give their child an old fashioned name that is traditional for the family.I know Jezebel sounds like a pretty bad one, but the contractions "Jez", "Jezzy", "Belle" and "Bella" are reasonably normal, and I wouldn't mind if she put down one of those or whatever as her name on things. But yeah, her middle name would probably be something fairly normal anyway (although I do like my surname-azza-middle name...).
Also, I got that reference :smalltongue:

Setra
2010-02-12, 08:58 AM
Ideally I think I'd want names for my children that are not unique per say, but not common. Uncommon, basically.

Leon for a boy, Rena for a girl.

KuReshtin
2010-02-12, 09:35 AM
Of course I also answer to Super G.

*makes mental note for next UKitP meet*

I will name my children thusly:

Christian

I'm flattered that you'll name your kid after me.
Wait, what?:smallconfused: It's not because of me?:smalleek: Ehh... oh.:smallfrown:

On the topic of naming dogs, my parents have had three dogs. First one was called Pompe (historical dog's name in Sweden, and also the name of a dog mentioned in a series of kid's books), Waldemar and Moses (named after a Trivial Pursuit question that was grossly misunderstood).

Grey Paladin
2010-02-12, 10:48 AM
Vasily, which would be awesome due to its meaning (king, royal, valiant protector - plus its literally the bastard son of the names Basil and William) if the rest of the world didn't horribly mispronounce it more often than not.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-02-12, 11:00 AM
I dunno about naming my kids. I mean, they're already stuck with an awesome last name, what more could they want? =P

I like my name. It sounds even more awesome when ethnicized to match, too. And means something like "godlike elf warrior from the plains". =P

Pika...
2010-02-12, 11:03 AM
I got to experience the joy of choosing my own names. A wonderful feeling, because it seems like it is truly your name.

I even took the surname Drake as a symbol of my totem animal/creature since my earliest memories; the magnificent dragon. If there is an afterlife may I be reborn as one.

As for potential offspring? Well it seems I will not be having any say in the first, but when I have mine my daughter will be without question (it will honestly be a requirement if the girl wants the ring) Serenity (and her middle name possibly Usagi). After that my wife would have free reign I guess, though I would love to call one Alice if she ends up blond.

As for boys? I want to try to get it so I get to pick the girl(s) name to better my chances at Serenity, but if she lets me have Serenity and asks for my input on boy names I would like them all to be Matthias Elven Drake II, Matthias Elven Drake III, Matthias Elven Drake IIII.

Roukon
2010-02-12, 11:17 AM
I like my names, but I find them amusing knowing the etymology of them. My first names means "he who is exalted by God" in Hebrew, but I am not Christian. My last name derived (I've heard in the Middle Ages, but I'm not sure) from a Greek term for servent of their god of wine. I don't drink alcohol. My middle name is Germanic, and is a family name, so that works well for me.

Later Days,
Roukon

AtomicKitKat
2010-02-12, 11:22 AM
Parts of my Chinese name translate as Hayashibara in Japanese.

Pyrian
2010-02-12, 11:28 AM
Apparently, along with Dog, Jessie is the most popular name for dogs in Australia (and New Zealand) :smallsigh:I'm never going to be able to listen to Jesse's Girl with a straight face again. :smallcool:

CurlyKitGirl
2010-02-12, 11:30 AM
The pure/virginal one from Lorraine (a province in France) who lives in/next to a graveyard.
Woo.
I love my name, it's very elegant when read or said. My parents are good at choosing fantastic names. And no, my first name is not a nickname or anything of the sort. It is my given name, please don't ask what my 'real' first name is.

Eldest Younger Brother: One who honours God, [whilst] liv[ing] by the river Clare, in/next to a graveyard

Littlest Brother: [He of the] people of victory, [with] mountain of strenth [who believes] God is my judge and lives in/next to a graveyeard.

Littlest Sister: The weaver [who is] a shining ray of light [and] lives in/next to a graveyard.

And with the exception of mine and Elder Younger brother's middle names (and our last name) they're all of Greek/Latin or Biblical origin.

Should I ever have children, and one of them is a girl she will be called Jennifer Robin, because that was to have been my name. As far as boys go, I know Emmanuel will be a middle name for one of them. It's a tradition.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-02-12, 11:31 AM
Apparently, along with Dog, Jessie is the most popular name for dogs in Australia (and New Zealand) :smallsigh:

...Australians aren't known for their originality, then? I mean...Dog? >.<

CurlyKitGirl
2010-02-12, 11:36 AM

Hey! My cat's daughter is called Dog thankyouverramuch!

And the unofficial names for our dogs are Dog and Puppy. Not unoriginal at all! Just laziness

Redpieper
2010-02-12, 11:37 AM
My name's pretty normal (in the Netherlands that is) "Jelle" which isn't pronounced like jelly :smallmad:
It's more like yellow, only with the ow sound exchanged for an "uh" sound. So kinda like yelluh.

As for my potential spawn, I like Ronald or Alice and I'll come back with more when I think about it :smallsmile:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-02-12, 11:51 AM
My name means "Who is like God, Twin, from a family of Fishermen"
Only one of which is true.

My sister's name means "Loved, from Mercia, having to do with Jasmine, from a family of Fishermen"
That's what happens when your middle names are Mercia Jasmine. Mercia after my great uncle Mark, Jasmine after my great uncle James.

My brothers name means "Revered, Home Ruler, from a family of Fishermen"

My favourite girls names at the moment are Naomi, and Vivien. I haven't thought as much about boys names, though...

Shyftir
2010-02-12, 11:54 AM
My first name translates to something along the lines of "God's Peace" and my middle name is Wayne, which means wagon. put it together and my names mean, "God's Peace Wagon" I swear to you I'm not the progeny of hippies.

I want to name my first son Dylan Thomas (+last name) after my favorite poet.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, Rage against the dying of the light."

I also like the name Gavin, (actually I like Gawain better, but most of my family would mispronounce it.)

As for girls names, I figure my wife will get to choose those since I'm pretty adamant on guys names. Oh and somebody gets the name Lynn either as part of a name or as a middle name. It's a bit of a family thing.

As for animals...
I have no pets but... I'd name a dog Mugen.
I'd name a cat Target Practice.
I'd like to own a lizard, but no clue on names there.

Whoracle
2010-02-12, 12:33 PM
I'm not particularly psyched about both my names. Both Michael and Patrick are rather plain. As for famous ancestors, on the other hand, I present you HIM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Haubach).

Dr. Bath
2010-02-12, 12:34 PM
It's 'lucky spear' for me. Alternitively 'Rich spear'. Really uncommon here, but apparently very popular in California. How strange.

Leonard McCoy is the best name for a dog.

Em Blackleaf
2010-02-12, 12:37 PM
My name is Emily. Which, according to Baby Names Country (http://babynamescountry.com/) is a German name meaning "Industrious." My middle name is Rose, which is pretty self-explanatory. :smalltongue:

I like the name Florence, which is an English or Latin name meaning, "blooming," "flowery" or "prosperous." She could go by Flo, which is even cooler. I'll need to find a middle name that flows with Florence.

If I have a second daughter, I'd probably name her Rose, since I can't think of any other names. And roses are pretty.

I also like the name Eli, which is a Hebrew name meaning, "up" or "light." What middle names sound good with Eli?

If I have a second son, I'd name him William James, which is kind of a family name. That is, if my brothers don't name their kids that. It would be confusing to have like, five Williams in the family. :smalltongue:
William is either an English or Irish name meaning "Determined defense."
James is a Hebrew name meaning "supplanter" or "substitute."

EDIT:
So, my dad theorized that our last name must mean "limestone bridge" (it's really unique, so I don't want to post it), so my whole name means "Industrious Flower of the Limestone Bridge." My brothers' mean "Determined defense Substitute of the Limestone Bridge" and "God is Gracious of Mars of the Limestone Bridge... ?" That last one is worded awkwardly. :smalltongue:

Pika...
2010-02-12, 12:42 PM
I'm never going to be able to listen to Jesse's Girl with a straight face again. :smallcool:

Meowth, that's right!

Syka
2010-02-12, 12:45 PM
I love my name, actually. My mom wanted to just name me the 'nickname' version, which is what I go by anyway, but my dad shot that down. I've considered legally changing it, but probably won't since it would sound weird with what I'd like to change my last name too (I'm switching to my my mom's mother's maiden name once I'm done with school and have a steady job).

For kids...Oh, do I have ideas.

Boy: Talyn Augustus (Anyone who can get the references gets a cookie)

Girl: Inara and...we don't have a middle name picked yet, lol. Toying with the middle name 'Aeryn'

I've only had one friend object to Talyn because he said it sounded like an action hero bad guy name, haha. Everyone else I've mentioned it too has thought it was pretty good, although we didn't have a middle name yet. Inara...I just love the name and the character is an incredibly strong woman.

Yes, I have the full agreement from Oz on this. :smallsmile:

Oh...and I was sad...I saw on a friend's Myspace one of her friends was naming her daughter Inara.

Me: "Oh yay, someone else who knows Firefly!"

...until I saw the persons next comment. Upon being asked how she came up with it she said she'd heard it on TV and thought it was cute...A little bit of me died, but I'm still determined to name a daughter Inara.

Eldan
2010-02-12, 12:59 PM
Oh, name explanations? Okay.

"The Manly one", "carrying Christ" for my first and middle names, respectively. My last name either means "living on or next to a small hill", "one who is quarrelsome" or "lover". However, as a name it is most often the first one. All of them are rather exotic and neither meaning is used as an actual word anymore, outside of the name.

My father is also interesting, his name is "The Raetian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raetians).

KuReshtin
2010-02-12, 02:08 PM
I love my name, it's very elegant when read or said. My parents are good at choosing fantastic names. And no, my first name is not a nickname or anything of the sort. It is my given name, please don't ask what my 'real' first name is.

I agree that you've got a purrrty excellent name.

... according to Baby Names Country (http://babynamescountry.com/)

That site is a bit pants. It says that Carl is 'a shortening of Carlton', and then when you check what the meaning of Carlton is, it means "Carl's Town". So, how do we know that Carl means?

Well, it means "Boy" or "Man", depending on where you check.
My name as used in casual conversation (although it's technically my middle name) is Christian, which just means 'follower of Christ', whichis a bit ironic, since neither I, nor my parents, are.
My last name means 'Son of Ola', with Ola being a shortened version of Olof, or Olaf, which apparently means 'Ancestor' in Old Norse (maybe Curly can back that up).

So my full name would be "Boy follower of Christ, who is the son if his ancestor".

I like the traditionally Swedish/Scandinavian male names, that are pretty descriptive, like Ulf ('wolf'), Björn ('bear'), Sten (stone', 'rock'), Stig ('path') and Rolf (short version of Rudolph, which means 'famous wolf'). I also like the likes of Tor, Gunnar ('fighter'), Arne ('eagle') and Per (Swedish version of Peter which means 'stone or 'rock') and some combinations that are common in Scandinavia, such as Torbjörn ('Thor's Bear'), Per-Arne and Per-Gunnar.

Eldan
2010-02-12, 02:13 PM
Karl? As in:

Karl/Carl/Charles/Carlos/Charlemagne?

"Free man". One who is not a serf.

Mando Knight
2010-02-12, 02:30 PM
My names, when boiled down to their components and corrected for linguistic "theft" look something like...
"Bearer of the Anointed"
"War-like One"
and "Runner"

the doomed one
2010-02-12, 02:35 PM
Were I to have children I would name a girl Hel (Norse mythology) and a boy Itzal (Basque: shadow).

To make up for the weird names I would probably give them three or four middle names...

Pika...
2010-02-12, 02:41 PM
My names, when boiled down to their components and corrected for linguistic "theft" look something like...
"Bearer of the Anointed"
"War-like One"
and "Runner"

So you were destined for great things, you're very assertive/aggressive, but you're all talk so end up fleeing most of the time?

KuReshtin
2010-02-12, 02:48 PM
Karl? As in:

Karl/Carl/Charles/Carlos/Charlemagne?

"Free man". One who is not a serf.

'Free man' or just 'Man'. Either way works.

Jack Squat
2010-02-12, 02:48 PM
My first name, Kyle, has a few meanings, none of them relevant in the choosing of my name. My mom heard it in a Bruce Springsteen song (Reason to Believe, if anyone cares) and thought it was a neat name. Unsurprisingly, I'm a big fan of classic rock :smalltongue:

My last name, when changed to the spelling of the original language (Gaelic) means "scythe". Far as I can figure, this means that my family were reapers of men's souls.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-12, 02:53 PM
My philosophy is this: if a woman takes a man's last name when they are married then she should be able to decide the names of any children they have. The father determined the children's last name so the mother should determine the first. No keeping that in mind and the fact that I'm male, I won't really have a say in what names my theoretical offspring receive though I will be pushing for names of mythical/legendary figures:

"Perseus you're grounded.":smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2010-02-12, 02:58 PM
'Free man' or just 'Man'. Either way works.

Sorry... I didn't actually read your full post before answering, just the part up to "so, do we know what it means?" :smallredface:

Asta Kask
2010-02-12, 03:00 PM
I'm very, very manly. Or at least my name says so :smalltongue:

Apparently we have a similar name.

I have had rats named Apollo, Hercules, Marius, Sulla and Lucullus. Oh, and I named my cats Castor and Pollux (although Pollux now lives with my mom.)

Eldan
2010-02-12, 03:15 PM
My cats were named, let's see... Frodo, Jupiter, Simba and Perseus. Not a single one of them was named by me, though.

Pika...
2010-02-12, 04:02 PM
My philosophy is this: if a woman takes a man's last name when they are married then she should be able to decide the names of any children they have. The father determined the children's last name so the mother should determine the first. No keeping that in mind and the fact that I'm male, I won't really have a say in what names my theoretical offspring receive though I will be pushing for names of mythical/legendary figures:

"Perseus you're grounded.":smallbiggrin:

Well, I am not a fan of the woman having to be take the man's name. Feels to barbecue/unequal to me.

However, that being said I would refuse to spend my life with someone without sharing a family name.

golentan
2010-02-12, 04:17 PM
My first and middle name actually mean "King Moses." Kind of a lot to live up to.

I think I'd like to name my child Gali if he were a boy, or Elida if she were a girl. Both are important names in my family history.

Lord Blace
2010-02-12, 04:24 PM
Me: Happy barrel making son of Peter, is what my entire name means. :smallsigh:

As for any theoretical offspring, I think perhaps Timothy. Or maybe a more historically significant first name.
I have no idea if the theoretical offspring ends up being a theoretical daughter. Maybe Jennifer. I have some an aunt and a friend who are both awesome people and are named Jennifer.

Cyrion
2010-02-12, 04:32 PM
My name translates to "handsome protector of the barren meadow."

I also contend that my first name has more spellings than just about any other boy's name. Variations I've seen: Alan, Allan, Allen, Alen, Alain, Allyn
Alyn, and Alun.

For kids' names, my wife and I are pretty set on Leora Wraye for a girl and think that Morgan Wray is our pick for a boy. Leora was going to be my name had I been a girl, and it's my maternal great grandmother's. Also, my wife's big on girls' names that can be shortened androgynously- Leora can become Lee, she's a Stephanie who goes by Stevie, etc. We just think Morgan is kind of a cool name, and there's something of a reference in it for me.

My family has a history of odd spellings for Ray as a middle name. My maternal grandfather is Wray, and my maternal aunt is Wraye. My paternal uncle is Rhea, and I'm Wray. Seems like a good tradition to inflict on offspring.

Cats: I had three littermates- Ariel, Puck (deceased) and Yorick (deceased). Prior to that it was Puss and Schrodinger.

Thatguyoverther
2010-02-12, 05:20 PM
IIn fact, Linden is on my list of potential offspring names (boy or girl) along with Xavier (boy), Jezebel (girl) and (now) Roland. There's more, but I forget 'em...

Wait, you would name your daughter Jezebel?

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-12, 05:27 PM
If I have a baby girl, she will be named Lillyh, after my deceased freind. Not sure about boy names.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-12, 05:29 PM
Actually, I can also name one of my daughters Lilith. Lilith is a good name.

Pyrian
2010-02-12, 05:30 PM
My first and middle name actually mean "King Moses." Kind of a lot to live up to."My namesake parted the Red Sea, but all I managed to part was Chelsea. ...She was worth it, though." :smallbiggrin:

TSGames
2010-02-12, 06:16 PM
What would you like to name your child? Why?
Ivan. After Ivan the Terrible.

Temotei
2010-02-12, 06:19 PM
Translating my name from Japanese to English makes it Timothy221. Take away the numbers and you have my first name. :smallamused: Others call me Tim or Timmy, depending on who they are.

I'm not sure what I would name my kid(s), but my dogs' names are Hoover and Eddie. Before, we had a puppy named Kirby.

Boo
2010-02-12, 06:32 PM
"The sad descendant of Neil that rules the home and knows Yahweh is gracious."

Or something like that.

I dislike my names and find them very boring. Instead I sometimes go by another name... "The Praiseworthy Star of the Sea" with the Star/Sea part being a diminutive. I haven't decided on a middle name yet.
It means "Antony Molly"
As for children, I'd probably try for Tea (teh-ah) or Emma for a girl and Sol for a boy. I haven't put much thought into the boy's name...

Thiel
2010-02-12, 06:32 PM
My name, along with about 23% of the all the Danish boys my age, is Christian. Rather ironic since I'm an atheist. :smallbiggrin:
<-- That's my surname. It's German and for some reason, Danes just can't spell it. :smallconfused:

Fostire
2010-02-12, 06:50 PM
Well, I am not a fan of the woman having to be take the man's name. Feels to barbecue/unequal to me.
I always thought that was a silly tradition.
When my grandfather (paternal) asked my mother why she didn't take my father's name she responded "well, your son already has it"

Although in Uruguay the tradition is not to change the name but to add the husbands name to it. So if a Jane Doe married a John Smith she would call herself Jane Doe of Smith.
In a way that tradition sucks even more than the name changing.

On first names, mine comes from the German name Roderick which means "Famous Ruler". The Spanish version of it doesn't sound quite as cool though. All of my brothers' first or middle name are of German origin.

My last name is one of those "son of" names, and it's a pretty common name in Italy. Luckily it's quite uncommon in Uruguay.
My mother's last name on the other hand, is quite rare worldwide and I think that most people who have that name are pretty closely related to me. Unfortunately I have no idea of it's meaning or origin.

ForzaFiori
2010-02-12, 07:00 PM
I forgot to put what my name (Michael John Fiori) means when I mentioned the one name for offspring I have chosen.

My name means: "Who Is Like God" "God is Gracious" "Flowers"

Michael and John are biblical in origin, and (last I checked) were the #2 and #1 most common male names in the US, though it was a couple years ago.
Fiori is Italian, and is just the word for flowers.

I get my username (mf11) from my first and last initial, plus my old soccer number.

Edit: Just found out that my first name has several meanings, depending on where you look. It can also mean "right hand of God" and similar stuff.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-12, 07:22 PM
For a Son I'd probably name him Grigory and then come up with a fairly normal middle name for him in case he doesn't like it.

for a daughter I'd probably go with Emily, Lily, Isabelle Amy, or Amelia.

Project_Mayhem
2010-02-12, 07:35 PM
I'm William Davies, after my Granddad. I tend to go with Bill or Billy though.

I'm pretty sure William comes from Wilhelm originally, which wiki says means something like protector of the realm. Davies is from Welsh, meaning son of David.

In case anyone was interested in some etymology.

starwoof
2010-02-12, 07:37 PM
My last name is Enz. I've yet to meet anyone with such a cool last name outside of my family.

blackfox
2010-02-12, 08:17 PM
My name means 'lion of God, weary, dark.'
Considering a few names for my children son(s), really, since I don't like many girls names...

Nameless Ghost
2010-02-12, 08:41 PM
My best friends have taken their own names, only their family refer to them by their given names. The idea of doing that has always been somewhat alluring but there is no name that really suits me.
So I'm nameless.

As far as my given name goes? It's pretty rare, I'll say that much, I've yet to meet a single person who shares it though I know they are out there. The meaning would be the tree after which I am named and so everything it is associated with.

Flickerdart
2010-02-12, 08:44 PM
My name means 'lion of God, weary, dark.'
Considering a few names for my children son(s), really, since I don't like many girls names...
Kerrigan. Do it. You know you want to.

Scoot
2010-02-12, 09:06 PM
I had no idea my name was German until my Chem teacher (Frau) told me.

Apparently my names (In order) are:

German, Gaelic, English.

My mom has a dif story every time I ask her why she chose my name,

I think now it's because she thinks it would make a good name for an actor.

Max, btw. Mahks

Amiel
2010-02-12, 09:40 PM
My name means "God has heard." Though par for the course for our naming conventions, it's always contracted into its diminutive; as are nearly all Australian names, sometimes with hilarious results. People have been known to give nicknames to their kids along the lines of Chuppa, apparently because he has a skinny body and an enormous head.

My Chinese name means "Expansive" or "Limitless Peace." It's all very exciting.

As for pets, we used to have a cat named Snoo, a kitten called Argent, and fish - Fishface, Snazzbot, Emperor of Weeds, the Funky Dancer, and then Fish 1, Fish 2, etc. I would really like some frogs as pets.

I wouldn't mind naming a kid Moon Unit to be honest, you'll know s/he will grow up to be a fighter, and a bloody good one at that!
One of my friends named their kid, Yuna; cookie to who gets that reference.

Seriously though, probably names like Xavier, Xachariah, Amiel (God of my people), Ava, Fleur.
I'll really like to give my kids Celtic names, that would be seriously awesome. Imagine someone rocking up to class and the teacher going through the student roll;
"Is Saorbhreathach/Amhlaigh/Caoimhin/Ciarán/Ieuan/Fearganainm here?"
"Yeah, that's me" *gasps of awesome from other students*

Zom B
2010-02-12, 10:02 PM
My name is Micah. I don't really mind the name, but I tend to have conversations like this every once in a while.

Them: What's your name?
Me: Micah.
Them: Oh, Micah, never heard that name before. Where's it from?
Me: The Bible?
Them: Oh. Where at?
Me: It's an entire book of the Bible. True, it's, like, three pages, but...

or:

Them: What's your name?
Me: Micah.
Them: Oh, hi, Mike.

Sometimes I think it would be easier if I just went by Mike, but that would feel weird so late in life.

My last name is Dyer, and sometimes I'll have this one:

Me: (leaving voicemail) Hi, this is Micah Dyer. If you could, please call me back at XXX-XXX-XXXX.
Them: (later, returning the call) Hi, I'm looking for a Mike O'Dyer.

As for my username, I used to go by Zombie Protestor* on message boards, but I found that some of them had character limits on names, and I didn't want to go by just "Zombie", so I decided to start being cute and going with "Zom B". I joke that I'm not quite as good as "Zom A".

*Zombie Protestors:
"What do we want?"
"Brains!"
"And when do we want 'em?"
"Brains!"

As for children, I have two: Three-year-old Emily Suzanne and three-month-old Jacob Riley.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-12, 10:10 PM
I actually found out my name means "he who is like god," so that's pretty awesome.

Serpentine
2010-02-13, 01:18 AM
Interesting how many names are religious... And, religion aside, I do quite like the name Christian for some reason.

On the topic of naming dogs, my parents have had three dogs. First one was called Pompe (historical dog's name in Sweden, and also the name of a dog mentioned in a series of kid's books), Waldemar and Moses (named after a Trivial Pursuit question that was grossly misunderstood).My cat's called Moses. Because of the "M" on his forehead, and a drunk guy in the pub liked it.
When I was little, we had a Siamese cat called Weasel.

...Australians aren't known for their originality, then? I mean...Dog? >.<Like I said, it's from a popular comic called Footrot Flats. The original Dog had a "real" name, but it was so horrific (he sympathised with a tough bulldog called Cream Puff) that he absolutely refused to let it ever be known.

My family has a history of odd spellings for Ray as a middle name. My maternal grandfather is Wray, and my maternal aunt is Wraye. My paternal uncle is Rhea, and I'm Wray. Seems like a good tradition to inflict on offspring.That is an excellent tradition.

Wait, you would name your daughter Jezebel?We've already gone over this in Roland's thread, but yes, I would.

Others call me Tim or Timmy, depending on who they are.Some call him... Tim.
If we're doing the whole translation thing, I am:
(Variation of Janet, Jesse, Jean or Jessica/wealthy/gift/God is gracious/Jehova exists) (Consecrated to God/My God is an oath/God is bountiful) (son of the bailiff/officer of a court of justice (Bailiff)/dweller near Bailey/dweller near where berries grow) (trumpeter/drummer/fart/descendent of Trum(strong)/descendent of Trumpe(surly))
So, when put together nicely, my name could mean one of the following:
Holy Trumpeting Gift of the Berry Field
Descendent of a Strong Man, the Bailiff Wealthy Thanks to God's Bounty.
Consecrated to Gracious God, Drummer of the Bailey.
Stinky Gift, God's Oath; She Assists in the Dealing of Justice.

If ever I use a pseudonym, it'll be Linden Thomas, after the name I was nearly called and my earliest-known ancestor, Elizabeth Thomas. You heard it here first, folks!

On surnames: My mother kept her maiden name, no matter what my birth certificate says. I quite like having her name as my middle name, and I think I'd probably make a tradition out of it.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-13, 01:56 AM
My full name means either: Yellow Twin Who Lived Near A Bush, or Yellow Twin And Merchant Of Wine.

golentan
2010-02-13, 02:03 AM
"My namesake parted the Red Sea, but all I managed to part was Chelsea. ...She was worth it, though." :smallbiggrin:

Hey. I never laid a finger on Chelsea, much less during her red sea.

And on that classy note, I think I'm done here.

Pika...
2010-02-13, 02:19 AM
I always thought that was a silly tradition.
When my grandfather (paternal) asked my mother why she didn't take my father's name she responded "well, your son already has it"

Although in Uruguay the tradition is not to change the name but to add the husbands name to it. So if a Jane Doe married a John Smith she would call herself Jane Doe of Smith.
In a way that tradition sucks even more than the name changing.

Eh, better of two evils? The "of" seems very possessive of the woman.

But again, I feel the name sharing is very important, at least to me. It signifies we are together, and this is from a guy who finds weddings pointless.

However, nothing says the girl has to take the guy's name. Why not the other way around? I would happily do it myself, though I am not sure if that is legal/doable in the US (or anywhere).

I imagine it would be fun to make it a simple bet, maybe (if I were so lucky to get a geek fiancee) bet on a simple d20 roll, or a more traditional coin flip. Winner claims the other for her/his kin's tribe?

Fostire
2010-02-13, 02:22 AM
Eh, better of two evils? The "of" seems very possessive of the woman.

But again, I feel the name sharing is very important, at least to me. It signifies we are together, and this is from a guy who finds weddings pointless.

However, nothing says the girl has to take the guy's name. Why not the other way around? I would happily do it myself, though I am not sure if that is legal/doable in the US (or anywhere).

I imagine it would be fun to make it a simple bet, maybe (if I were so lucky to get a geek fiancee) bet on a simple d20 roll, or a more traditional coin flip. Winner claims the other for her/his kin's tribe?

If name changing was involved I would definitely take hers. My last name is pretty boring.

Blaine.Bush
2010-02-13, 02:26 AM
Hey. I never laid a finger on Chelsea, much less during her red sea.

And on that classy note, I think I'm done here.

Niiiice. Ba-dum tish! (http://instantrimshot.com/)

Coidzor
2010-02-13, 04:17 AM
My last name could be translated as Drow.

That's about the most interesting thing about my name. Other than the bit about being one of uncountable Johns in the world today.

As far as naming hypothetical offspring, I don't know anymore.

As far as naming a dog, there was this one name I came up with while talking to an ex-g/f "White Cheddar Chauser" (Chow-zah, even). Which would be of course, limited to only white dogs as pets.

We're pretty boring when it comes to naming cats in my family though.

We named our first calico cat "Calico" and our first tuxedo cat "Tuxedo." Our first tortoiseshell calico cat was named "Snickers" though.

Mathis
2010-02-13, 08:14 AM
When I was a kid I loved that my name meant "Warrior of Mars" as in the Roman god, and "Warlike". I also learned that it meant "Thunder-like" or "Like a thunder-storm". Ofcourse, now it's just another name that I share with tons of other people. I do like that it's fairly international though.

As for baby-names I've always wanted to name my children "Marie" or "Maria" if it's a girl or "Mathias" for a boy. I don't know if it appears pretentious or not to others to name your children names starting with the same letters as your own name (It's Martin by the way), but I always liked the sound of names beginning with Ma.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-13, 08:20 AM
I actually found out my name means "he who is like god," so that's pretty awesome.

Your name is Michael? That does not mean "He Who is Like God", that is a question "Who is Like God?", with the assumed answer of "no one".

If your name is anything else, I cannot guess what it is.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-02-13, 04:11 PM
I know it's been mentioned already, but this was my dad's response when he learned we were naming our son "Luka."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M89c3hWx3RQ&feature=related
(caveat: two minor curse words)

Evidently he felt that a name ending in "-a" would sound feminine, resulting in my boy getting teased.

We had a thread similar to this a few months back where I mentioned we'd like to name a daughter Eowyn, though we would probably make that the middle name and give her a more conventional first name. I'm curious what the Playground thinks.

Siosilvar
2010-02-13, 04:30 PM
My last name gets a lot of comments, usually along the lines of "Savage? Dude, you have an AWESOME last name!"

zeratul
2010-02-13, 04:48 PM
My own name is fairly common and means "god is my judge" according to ye old wikipedia. In the unlikely event that I end up having kids, I like the name Tristan with Cuchulain as a middle name, and also the name Alistair.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-13, 05:00 PM
My first name is Joshua, Josh for short. I've always liked it. Especially the shortening. To josh is to joke or tease, and that fits me perfectly. My middle name is Adam because I was the firstborn, a parental joke, so it meshes nicely.

I'd like to name my first daughter Lorelai. I had a dream where the woman I love had our child and named her that. It's also pretty.

Aurora and Ivy I also have a thing for. I'm no hippy, just think they're beautiful names.

For my boys, Logan and Mordecai struck me as strong and masculine yet not ridiculously overused.

Thufir
2010-02-13, 05:02 PM
I quite like my name.

As far as naming children goes, well there's a tradition in my family that the first son must have John as a first or middle name. Beyond that... I don't know.
When I was young there were names I quite liked, but now, I think I'd want to go for something with some meaning. Doesn't have to be unusual names, but names chosen for a particular reason, probably referencing something.
The one example of this I can think of is that I would seriously consider giving a daughter the name Coraline.

RebelRogue
2010-02-13, 05:18 PM
Ivan. After Ivan the Terrible.
I actually know a pair of brothers names Attila and Czenghis!

Brother Oni
2010-02-14, 04:50 PM
I need the Pinyin for this. Neeeed.

I think the pinyin is xiao feng, but as I don't speak Mandarin, I'm not sure.

My Chinese teacher has basically said that we are never, EVER to translate names. It does not happen. Which confuses me greatly.

It's not really translating a name, it's finding the meaning behind the name which is buried in the characters.

You wouldn't refer to someone called Mark as 'Warlike One', you'd call him Mark.

A more recent example I can think of is the character Jen from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - she's referred to as Jen, even though the character for dragon is buried in the characters for her name.

As said earlier, when we need to find sounds for a foreign word, we just use the characters for their sound value only, hence the 'do not translate ever' bit, otherwise Madonna the pop star would have a reference to a horse in her 'chinese' name. :smallbiggrin:

To Serpentine:
By the by, the Japanese tend to use katakana for loanwords and other foreign sounds and use hiragana and kanji for non-foreign stuff (I'm surprised she knew enough kanji to mimic all the sounds found in western names - I'd have expected hiragana/katakana).

CWater
2010-02-14, 09:30 PM

I don't know about the US, but at least in Finland it is allowed, I know some couples who have done so.

:smallsmile:As for myself, I would NEVER give up my last name. This because it is a unique family name and there are only about one hundred people in the whole world who have it. My possible offspring would naturally also inherit the name. My possible husband would (unfortunately for him) not have much say in the matter, since the Finnish law dictates that if the child's parents fail to come to agreement the child will be named after the mother.

But seriously, I believe this is something that can be negotiated peacefully.:smallwink:

Raiki
2010-02-14, 09:46 PM
I was told, by a relative of course, that my last name meant "leader of the pack". However, after doing a bit of etymological research, I found out that it comes from the arabic (strange since we all emigrated from Europe) word for Stick, and was generally used as a nickname for very skinny people.

This fits perfectly into my plan to assassinate the slender man and usurp all of his powers.

On the note of children's names, I fully intend to name my first daughter Alethea. It's latin for "Personal Truth", and she shouldn't hate me if we just call her Ally. ...right? Right!? :smalleek:

~R~

KerfuffleMach2
2010-02-14, 09:53 PM
Hey Pika..., you can take the woman's last name in the US if you want. You can combine them with a hyphen, too. You can even keep your name, and her keep hers. If you want. I think women take the guy's more out of tradition than anything.

Anywho, my name. Let's see...I am named after my father.

James Lorain Burlingame II.

The name James is pretty common on my father's side of the family. In fact, my father has the same first and middle name as his grandfather.

I used to not like my middle name, but I'm okay with it now. Interesting topic of conversation, at least.

The last name, I know it's of German origin. There's a city in California with the same name, and I think I'm related to the guy it's named after. At least, I could be time wise.

My mom didn't want to have me be a Junior. She thought it sounded too redneck. So, she settled for the second. In all honesty, she wanted to name me Brandon Michael Burlingame.

Pika...
2010-02-14, 10:06 PM
I don't know about the US, but at least in Finland it is allowed, I know some couples who have done so.

:smallsmile:As for myself, I would NEVER give up my last name. This because it is a unique family name and there are only about one hundred people in the whole world who have it. My possible offspring would naturally also inherit the name. My possible husband would (unfortunately for him) not have much say in the matter, since the Finnish law dictates that if the child's parents fail to come to agreement the child will be named after the mother.

But seriously, I believe this is something that can be negotiated peacefully.:smallwink:

Yeah, with two rolls of a precision d20! :smallbiggrin:

ps. May I please ask what such a rare name is? O.o

Hey Pika..., you can take the woman's last name in the US if you want. You can combine them with a hyphen, too. You can even keep your name, and her keep hers. If you want. I think women take the guy's more out of tradition than anything.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

Brother Oni
2010-02-15, 07:50 AM
In Japanese culture, it depends on who is marrying into which family.

If the husband is marrying into the wife's family (because her family have a higher social standing for example), then the husband would take her name.

Normally the wife marries into the husband's family though, hence she takes his name.

In the UK, it only really matters if there is a title or a peerage involved. If a title ascended through the wife, then she would keep her title, while her husband and children would take his name.
When she dies or passes on her title, then the recipient would change their name (usually one of her children).

Again there's no legal requirement here for a woman or man to change their name when they get married, it's just traditional for a woman to take her husband's.

Serpentine
2010-02-15, 08:41 AM
To Serpentine:
By the by, the Japanese tend to use katakana for loanwords and other foreign sounds and use hiragana and kanji for non-foreign stuff (I'm surprised she knew enough kanji to mimic all the sounds found in western names - I'd have expected hiragana/katakana).It is entirely possible that I got it wrong. The one she was using was sound-symbols, like our alphabet. Not sure which that is, I just remember the word "kanji". She taught me a bit, but I can't remember much...

Brother Oni
2010-02-15, 10:46 AM
It is entirely possible that I got it wrong. The one she was using was sound-symbols, like our alphabet. Not sure which that is, I just remember the word "kanji". She taught me a bit, but I can't remember much...

I suspect hiragana as it's the first one taught at schools.

If everything looked like it's built out of simple straight lines, it's katakana (http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/katakana_chart.html).

If it's an odd mix of curved and straight lines, but still generally simple and clean, it's hiragana (http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/japanese-hiragana.html).

If every character looks like a miniature work of art, it's kanji (http://mural.uv.es/ciucama/kanji.gif). :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2010-02-15, 08:34 PM
She taught me some kanji, but I think she was writing the names in katakana, though hiragana is possible.

Glad we could resolve this whole issue :smalltongue:

CWater
2010-02-16, 07:20 PM
Yeah, with two rolls of a precision d20! :smallbiggrin:

ps. May I please ask what such a rare name is? O.o

Well, you see the thing is that I usually avoid telling my real name online. Especially because I don't have many "kaima"s (a Finnish word for people who share your name, usually used when talkin about first names, though).

But I assure you it's nothing very special, really. Actually, it's only five letters long.:smalltongue: And it doesn't mean anything. I like it myself anyway...
Oh, and it has a small background, which is always a nice plus.

LemonSkye
2010-02-17, 11:40 AM
My name means either "Bitter meadow-stranger-son of the loving one" or "wished for child meadow-stranger-son of the loving one". As you may have deduced, there's some debate on the meaning of part of my first name. :smallwink:

My first name is one of them-thar hybridized names that Americans tend to be so fond of (although apparently it's quite common in Denmark and Poland, as well), and my mother is convinced that she made it up entirely herself (it should be stated that my mother very likely has Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and is very often a lying Mcliarface). My first name is very close to my late grandmother's (woo for Italian naming conventions -_-), and my middle name is my living grandmother's first name. I'm not terribly fond of either, and I often go by a nickname among my friends.

As for names for future offspring...

I have always been fond of the name Xylia (Greek variant of Sylvia), and at one point considered naming all of my kids "X" names to match. I have long since abandoned the idea, especially given my own plight with the constant mispronunciation and misspelling of my own (not terribly exotic) name, even within my own family. I still like Xylia Janine for a girl, but instead of dubbing her "XyJ" I would very likely call her "Lia" or "Nina". Other girl names I like are Adele, Camille, Vanessa, Grey, and Vera (if I ever have a daughter and name her such, her birth announcement will consist of the standard birth time, height, weight, and assorted data, and close with something to the effect of "She is the finest baby in all the Verse. We call her Vera.").

As for boys, I like the name Vincent, but due to some of the behavior of my Italian-descended family members, my sister and I have decided that our family really doesn't need a Vinny, and neither one of us would ever name a child Vincent or Vincenzo. I also like the names Lucien, Warren, Marshall, Callum, and Zane.

I have forever been banned from using the following name combinations: Elyssa Wren, Vera Diane, Sarah Lianne, and Stella Dawn. A cookie to anyone who can guess why. :smallbiggrin:

Aedilred
2010-02-17, 12:56 PM
Objectively, I'm not a huge fan of my name. I spent most of my childhood being mocked for having the same name as a certain talking railway engine, and both my first and last names are rather guttural. My last name, despite being both common and traditional, was likewise mocked extensively at school for... well, no good reason at all really, but if you pronounce the "th" as "f" you can make it sound rather dullard-ish. It was a constant mystery to me why people thought this was remotely witty, as it was they and not I who weren't pronouncing the name properly anyway.

Still, though, it's my name, and I've got used to it, even if I'm not really all that fond of it. My middle names are better; the first is entirely cosmetic, but the second is a family one (kind of a double-barrelling that got subsumed into the middle of the name). It's a good one too- Norman in origin, not all that common and, possibly because I don't get called by it, one I remain rather more fond of than my "real" name.

In terms of childrens' names, I favour those that both sound traditional but also have some sort of historical connotation- something I feel my given name is missing rather. I like Edmund- it's very old, but at the same time not completely off-the-wall. Athelstan is a personal favourite (I'd shorten it, obviously, to "Stan") although possibly a little OTT. I rather like the name Gabriel, but it's a bit overly religious, and having been through years of hell over a relatively innocuous name I dread to think what schoolchildren would do with the first syllable there. Constantine likewise (although that could at least be shortened to "Stan" if necessary). Girls' names I have, er, less interest in (is it wrong to say that?) although there is something of a tradition in my family of Helens, and that's a reasonably nice name.

Dragonrider
2010-02-17, 01:03 PM
My first and last name, alas, mean the same thing in two different languages. Thus, I am a tautology:

"Hill, [the] graceful hill". :smalltongue:

My brothers are:

"Raven - to the fortress hill!"
"Gentle fiery hill" (a contradictions in terms?)
"Thunderous son of Aodh [of the] hill"

To be honest, I'm not a fan of my last name. My mum's maiden name is Woodbury (which still doesn't escape the hill thing, but it's infinitely better) and my dad almost took her name when they married but decided not to because he suspected his father would be upset. I wish he had. I think Woodbury is beautiful.

As for potential names for my children . . . I'm sort of in love with classic Welsh names. I love "Gwenllian Rose" for a girl, which I think is just possible, but my favorite boy name, "Dafydd James", is something I couldn't bring myself to inflict on a child because of the pronunciation issue, and some anglicized version like "Davith" just looks wrong.

Pyrian
2010-02-17, 01:34 PM
Thus, I am a tautology:

"Hill, [the] graceful hill". :smalltongue:They could instead be separate references. DeeRee's graceful hills. :smallbiggrin: (I'm sorry I'm sorry I just couldn't hold that one in! :smallredface: )

Deadly
2010-02-17, 02:06 PM
I've always disliked my first name, but I just can't think of one that would be better. Its a general problem with male names, they all suck more or less. I also suspect I would make my sister sad if I changed my first name, cause apparently she was the one who picked it for me. Or maybe she's just teasing me with that, I can't tell. So I'm stuck with my first name, it seems.

I can't seem to make up my mind regarding my middle and last names. On one hand I am strangely proud of them because they are special and not so common... on the other they sound a bit... odd, particularly when pronounced in English, and particularly together. Individually they aren't so odd, but together they just sound off somehow.

They also both come from my fathers side of the family. I have pondered changing the middle name to one from my mothers side, but I can't make up my mind about it.

Also, I can't help but feel that I'd "miss" my old name if I changed it. Silly, probably.

arguskos
2010-02-17, 02:12 PM
My first name is THE first name, according to Christian legend. :smallamused:

My last name is harder to pin down. Currently, the best I can figure is that it's a corruption of a word describing a family of crop plants, such as cabbage, kale, broccoli, and kohlrabi.

Put together, I'd go with... "the first crop farmer". :smallyuk: Yay me?

As for my children, damn. I have a horde of potential names, some of which have deep personal meaning, and others of which I just liked.

cycoris
2010-02-17, 02:20 PM
As for potential names for my children . . . "Gwenllian Rose" for a girl...

Ahem. I think I hate you now.

Myself (yes, I have two middle names):

Night Rose Pure of Genoa

Farsi, Latin, Farsi, Old French corrupted by Middle English

I hate hate hate "Rose". :smallmad:

For children, I have a document on my computer titled "Spawn", which is a looooong list of names I like. I won't bore you with them.

Edit: I don't like "Rose" because I don't like the flower. I think they're ugly and smell gross. Plus they're all prickly and stuffs. >.<

Asta Kask
2010-02-17, 02:27 PM

Just curious - what's wrong with Rose? In Sweden it's a cow name, so I probably wouldn't call my daughter Rose, but...

Deadly
2010-02-17, 02:30 PM
Oh, as for meaning/origin... my first name apparently comes originally from the Hebrew word "gizbar" which supposedly means "treasurer". Not terribly awe inspiring or anything.

As far as I can tell, from my genealogical search of our family, both my middle and last name were originally place names - small villages or regions most likely - sometime in the 18th century. Apparently it was common back then for people to be named according to where they were born or something. The records are difficult to figure out this far back, though, so I could be terribly mistaken.

Mando Knight
2010-02-17, 02:30 PM
My first name is THE first name, according to Christian legend. :smallamused:

Unless your name happens to be יהוה, I think your name means man rather than "the first." :smallwink: (And even then, the former roughly means "He Who Is" rather than "the first")

Dragonrider
2010-02-17, 03:31 PM

But it goes so well with so many things. I actually read an article on this. Names sound good if you've got a long followed by a short, which is why "Lynn" and "Ann" are such common middle names for girls.

I have one-syllable first name followed by two-syllable middle name, so mine's the formula in reverse. This is problematic because my short first name sounds good with SO FEW last names. Anything shorter than two syllables or beginning with something other than H, W, B, M, or a vowel, and even then, the Ms are the only ones I particularly like.

Anyway - Rose is a really good middle name, and I like it. I also like Catrin Daniella quiet a lot. Also Branwen Linda, because even though I don't like the name Linda, it's that of my favorite aunt in the whole world.

Boy names besides Dafydd? Conlan Briar, Eliam Ember, Morgan Mirren.

Dang. Alliterative effect not wholly intended. Also, for some reason I really like names ending with N.

Edit: Pyrian: There are no words to express my disdain.

arguskos
2010-02-17, 03:33 PM
Unless your name happens to be יהוה, I think your name means man rather than "the first." :smallwink: (And even then, the former roughly means "He Who Is" rather than "the first")
Yes, but you get the idea. It's the name of the first man, and nowadays refers to the concept of male. I mostly chose to represent it as I did for the laugh factor of "the first crop farmer". http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/XD.png

Pyrian
2010-02-17, 03:47 PM
Pyrian: There are no words to express my disdain.:smalleek: :smallsigh: :smallamused: ...Sig'd! :smallcool:

Mando Knight
2010-02-17, 04:27 PM
But it goes so well with so many things. I actually read an article on this. Names sound good if you've got a long followed by a short, which is why "Lynn" and "Ann" are such common middle names for girls.

My parents must have read something like that, since all of my siblings (and myself) have 3-syllable first names and a 1 or 2 syllable middle name.

Ninja Chocobo
2010-02-17, 09:52 PM
I've never been much fussed over the meanings of names, but I maintain that the best male name is James. It's respectable, yet friendly; as much at home on a plaque on a lawyer's office as on a daycare worker's nametag. Someone you'd entrust your life to, but would still grab a beer with after work.

In terms of girl's names, I'm not quite as sure. Something pretty, and not super-common. Tabitha, probably, or Chloe.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-02-17, 10:06 PM
My parents must have read something like that, since all of my siblings (and myself) have 3-syllable first names and a 1 or 2 syllable middle name.

My parents decided that the names of my brothers and I should start with the same letter. Mine being James, my younger brother being Justin, and my youngest brother being Jacob.

THAC0
2010-02-17, 10:45 PM
My name means "a flower in a meadow who is a silk-weaver."

Dragonrider
2010-02-18, 12:58 AM
My parents decided that the names of my brothers and I should start with the same letter. Mine being James, my younger brother being Justin, and my youngest brother being Jacob.

People do that with Js a lot. There must be an abundance of J names or something.

Felixaar
2010-02-18, 01:21 AM
Ladies and Gents, gather round!

The name is Joshua Thomas Stanley "Soultrain Felix" Elliott!

Joshua: "God Rescues". Sharing it with one of the most awesome characters in the Bible (drawing straws with Sampson and, well, Jesus). Suits me, especially given the slang "I'm just Joshin' with ya!"

Thomas: "Twin" (no, I'm not. You want Wolfbane for that.) Yes, that's right, lads and ladies - I was named after the Tank Engine. I also named my first cat after said tank engine. I like Thomas, or Tom - it's a decidedly feline name, and "Thomas" just looks cool when writen.

Stanley: "Meadow that is stony" (...yes.) It's a family tradition - my father's middle name is Stanley, his father's middle name was Stanley, and HIS father's FIRST name was Stanley. I will probably use either Staney or Thomas Stanley as a middle name for a first born son. I like the name, I share it with my fav. South Park main.

Soultrain: What can I say? I love trains, I love soul music. I love combining the two, though my fellow passengers usually disagree.

Felix: "happy, lucky fortunate" - this sums me up, nes? Also something I named one my cats, after my mum taught me the "Felix the Cat" song. Said cat came very close to being named "Mew", however, after the pokemon. His predecessor was named "Meowsr". This has been a semi-assumed name for years now and fits me as well as any other. I am not Felix and Joshua, I am simply FelixJoshua. They are not seperate.

Elliott: "My God is the Lord" (all you can suck it, apparently). Family name. I like it, though a lot of people spell it correctly and people who use it as a first name bother me.

Mando Knight
2010-02-18, 01:27 AM

My dad and his siblings (8 in all, with a 7:1 split) all have middle names starting with E. And none of them have Edward as their middle name... that's my oldest uncle's first name.

Pocketa
2010-02-18, 01:45 AM
I don't even know if I'll have kids yet.

But, if I chose to:

Girl: something traditional and English or after one of my grandmothers.
Boy: after the father or one of my grandfathers.

katerox
2010-02-18, 02:25 AM
I have a daughter and me and my fiance named her Alanah...

KuReshtin
2010-02-18, 02:41 AM
My dad and his siblings (8 in all, with a 7:1 split) all have middle names starting with E. And none of them have Edward as their middle name... that's my oldest uncle's first name.

My dad and his brothers have names that start with the letter R (except for one, but he was a child of the 60's, so go figure he'd be different).
Roland, Rolf, Ronny, Roger and Anders.
The sisters are called Inga-Lill and Ann-Margret (but we all call her Aja).

skywalker
2010-02-18, 02:51 AM
I got to experience the joy of choosing my own names. A wonderful feeling, because it seems like it is truly your name.

I even took the surname Drake as a symbol of my totem animal/creature since my earliest memories; the magnificent dragon. If there is an afterlife may I be reborn as one.

As for potential offspring? Well it seems I will not be having any say in the first, but when I have mine my daughter will be without question (it will honestly be a requirement if the girl wants the ring) Serenity (and her middle name possibly Usagi). After that my wife would have free reign I guess, though I would love to call one Alice if she ends up blond.

As for boys? I want to try to get it so I get to pick the girl(s) name to better my chances at Serenity, but if she lets me have Serenity and asks for my input on boy names I would like them all to be Matthias Elven Drake II, Matthias Elven Drake III, Matthias Elven Drake IIII.

For someone who puts so much emphasis on getting to choose your own name, isn't it a bit a of a futile exercise? If I enjoyed the experience so much, I would certainly encourage my children to do the same.

My dad once named a horse "327" or something similar because he forgot to name her when she was born and then vet wanted a name right.freaking.now to put on the test results (which are very important for horses to have).

I want to name my first son Dylan Thomas (+last name) after my favorite poet.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, Rage against the dying of the light."

A teacher of mine named his son "Langston" (after his favorite poet). I detest Langston Hughes, but it's a cool name. "Dylan Thomas" would be awesome.

My last name, when changed to the spelling of the original language (Gaelic) means "scythe". Far as I can figure, this means that my family were reapers of men's souls.

Are they not still?

If ever I use a pseudonym, it'll be Linden Thomas, after the name I was nearly called and my earliest-known ancestor, Elizabeth Thomas. You heard it here first, folks!

Makes mental note.

On surnames: My mother kept her maiden name, no matter what my birth certificate says. I quite like having her name as my middle name, and I think I'd probably make a tradition out of it.

I have despised this tradition (no offense) ever since my friend's mother gave her horrid maiden name to her children. I'm kinda soured on the whole thing by that one experience.

Jack White (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_White_%28musician%29) did it, kept it when they got divorced, and then gave it to his children from his new marriage. That's dedication.

The name James is pretty common on my father's side of the family. In fact, my father has the same first and middle name as his grandfather.

My mom didn't want to have me be a Junior. She thought it sounded too redneck. So, she settled for the second. In all honesty, she wanted to name me Brandon Michael Burlingame.

Technically speaking, if your dad has the same name as his grandfather, that makes him "the second," which makes you "the third." Kinda like how monarchs don't reset, ya?

I have one-syllable first name followed by two-syllable middle name, so mine's the formula in reverse. This is problematic because my short first name sounds good with SO FEW last names. Anything shorter than two syllables or beginning with something other than H, W, B, M, or a vowel, and even then, the Ms are the only ones I particularly like.

Yes. Long-short sounds good. Long-long sounds alright too, but personally I find (on average) short-long to be less appealing.

As for my name:

Lukas - This is a lengthened form of "Luke," and is related to Lucifer, etc. Means "Light" at it's simplest, and "bringer of light" if you complicate it a bit. My mom liked the idea of those meanings. I'd like to think it means I'm meant to teach, somewhere. As for why it's spelled Lukas? I asked my dad, and he said "well, son, we wanted to call you Luke for short. We weren't sure how smart you would be, so we didn't want to confuse you by having one name with a 'c' (as in "Lucas") and one with a 'k.' Awesome.
Caleb - Was one of the 12 scouts sent into the promised land, and one of 2 who returned with confidence that the Hebrews would be successful. 10 guys came back saying "the giants will kill us!", Caleb and Joshua came back saying "guys, look at these huge grapes, they're delicious!"
*Redacted* - This one's pretty boring anyway. They say it means "son of Adam." Quite original really. At least it fits with the others.

So, as far as I can tell, "Light-bringing devoted son of Adam." (who likes to eat). I like it.

golentan
2010-02-18, 03:08 AM
Crazy Name: Golentan ni Kyrana lis Agnerak va Ishmar Livira Keru te Segata

Means: The Two Faced Lover, the Protector and Devourer of worlds, Third Sword of She who waits in the Darkness to bring forth the Light.

I usually just go by Golentan (Two faced lover: in this case meaning embracing multiple aspects and not referring to lies or duplicity, but I couldn't think of a better translation), or Agnerak (Devourer). I don't really feel entitled to the rest of the name anymore, but use it anyway from time to time.

banjo1985
2010-02-18, 05:46 AM
I'm ambivalent about my first and middle names. They're okay, but hardly what I'd have chosen for myself. I'd probably have wanted them the other way round if I had the choice, if only to avoid the postal confusion when I lived at home.

Me and Mrs B agree on the name Freya for a girl. Not so sure about boy names though.

Dogmantra
2010-02-18, 05:49 AM
I know someone whose first name is St. John, pronounced "Sinjuhn" (or at least pronounced that by everyone who speaks to him regularly). I knew him for a good 6 months before I saw his name written down and realised what people were calling him. I was trying to decide how it should be spelt, you see.

My first name and middle names are both pretty darned okay. I can't decide whether or not I should go by my middle name or not, because I go through phases of liking it more...

rakkoon
2010-02-18, 05:54 AM
I've known a bodybuilder for several years who was called Eli.
Then I found out his name was Elisabeth.
I said nothing about this....
(he was not transgender or such, just the name)

My middle names are both female while my first is male (and so am I).
This confuses people in England to no end :smallsmile:

Thursday
2010-02-18, 10:52 AM
Eldest Younger Brother: One who honours God, [whilst] liv[ing] by the river Clare, in/next to a graveyard

Not the surname.. but from reading this, I'm pretty sure I have the same first and middle names as your Eldest younger Brother.

That is all.

Mando Knight
2010-02-18, 12:30 PM
Technically speaking, if your dad has the same name as his grandfather, that makes him "the second," which makes you "the third." Kinda like how monarchs don't reset, ya?
Depends. If grandfather and father are Sr. and Jr. then they can stay Sr. and Jr. even after they add the father's son the Third, or they can switch to the First and the Second to keep the naming scheme consistent from generation to generation. It just depends on how they like the sound of "Guy McBenson Senior/Junior" as compared to "Guy McBenson I/II"

I asked my dad, and he said "well, son, we wanted to call you Luke for short. We weren't sure how smart you would be, so we didn't want to confuse you by having one name with a 'c' (as in "Lucas") and one with a 'k.' Awesome..
So why didn't he just name you Luke? It's a legitimate name in and of itself.
*Points to Skywalker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Skywalker), the third evangelist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_the_Evangelist), and his little brother's middle name*

skywalker
2010-02-18, 03:52 PM
Depends. If grandfather and father are Sr. and Jr. then they can stay Sr. and Jr. even after they add the father's son the Third, or they can switch to the First and the Second to keep the naming scheme consistent from generation to generation. It just depends on how they like the sound of "Guy McBenson Senior/Junior" as compared to "Guy McBenson I/II"

Kinda. Again, technically speaking, a man with the same name as his father is "junior," and his son would be "the third." "The second" only comes into play if a guy has the same name as someone else in his family, but it's not his father. Otherwise, he's a junior. I'm not trying to enforce these "rules" on anyone, but they are technically laid out that way.

*Points to Skywalker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Skywalker), the third evangelist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_the_Evangelist), and his little brother's middle name*

Yeah, I'm named after that one in the middle more than anything. But I look like the first one. I think they didn't name me Luke because look at this: "Luke Caleb." It doesn't flow at all.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-02-18, 06:44 PM
My Christian name's common enough to be constantly turning around in the street, only to find that someone else is being called. :smallsigh: At least I've learned by now not to say "yes" in response, only to look the utter fool for doing so. My middle name is more interesting though; everyone knows it but it's uncommon, and its meaning entitles me to go to the hood and listen to gangsta rap with my homies. My surname is not at all common either but decidedly English. Overall it's not a bad combination, as it produces an ordinary name that's easily distinguishable at the same time.

I have a good idea of which names I could give to any future sons I might have, but I have absolutely no idea about daughters. My goals in choosing names are that they are English (by which I mean, characteristically given to English people, not of English etymology); ordinary without being the kind of detestable names found on street corners after dropping out of school with a drug addiction; and possibly most importantly, that they suit my surname; after all, someone's full name should have a nice ring to it. I know mine does.

varthalon
2010-02-18, 07:47 PM
One of my family's traditions is to name the first born son James but the middle name varies and is usually the mother's maiden name. It creates wonderful havok with people that realize that the father and the son have the same name and assume its Senior and Junior but it isn't. Also fun was that since highschool I've been bigger than my dad so Big James and Little James didn't really work either.

Another interesting name schemes I've seen:

Large family: All the boys in the family were named after TWO american presidents... one each for their first name and middle name. George Adams Lastname, Jefferson Ulysses Lastname, etc. The same family named all their girls after season, months, or weather: April, June, Summer, Raynie, etc.

Sila Prirode
2010-02-18, 07:53 PM
My name (translated) means Peace Keeper, of Defender of Peace. It's not really uncommon in here, because it was on of the greatest Dukes of this country, and the first to gain Pope's recognition :smalltongue:

My daughters will be named Lara and Nika (or Nike in English). Lara was decided when I was 10 years old, and I remembered it from way then, so it must mean something. Also, it's wicked name for a girl.
And for second one, both girls I met that had that name were... magnificent, and really someone to look for. And whole Victory, and Greek thing, tingles my senses :smallbiggrin:

I'm giving boys to mother to be, got to compromise somewhere.

Lioness
2010-02-19, 07:01 AM
I am an Ella, which means faery princess. Or something along those lines. Fae-born, etc.

I was named for my great-grandmother, who is dead.

I named my car Felix, because it seemed right.

KuReshtin
2010-02-19, 09:26 AM
I named my car Felix, because it seemed right.

I named my car Keyser, cause the first part of the registration plate is SO53...

Dragonrider
2010-02-19, 10:54 AM
I am an Ella, which means faery princess. Or something along those lines. Fae-born, etc.

I've always loved that name. :smallbiggrin:

My car was Cecilia (afore mis padres sold her) and my brother's care is plain ol' Jane. My laptop is Ed. My iPod is Caritas. Have I mentioned an uncontrollable obsession with naming things?

Phaedra
2010-02-19, 12:07 PM
My car was Cecilia (afore mis padres sold her) and my brother's care is plain ol' Jane. My laptop is Ed. My iPod is Caritas. Have I mentioned an uncontrollable obsession with naming things?

I do this too. My laptop is called Oscar. The Wii is called Steve. My iPod is Annie. Pretty much everything in my flat has a name. I am odd.

My first name is a variant of Helen, which apparently means "light". My middle name mean's God's promise, at least according to a random internet site.

The Boy and I so far have settled on Jessica if we have girl. Maybe James if we have a boy, though we're more undecided on that. And if we have a girl and a boy, not both names, cause Jessie and James together would be silly.

Lioness
2010-02-19, 08:39 PM
I know someone who has two children named Jessie and James. Poor kids

And my laptop is called Hank, because someone at the NaNoWriMo meetup suggested it...:smallredface:

Fostire
2010-02-19, 08:53 PM
I know someone who has two children named Jessie and James. Poor kids

And my laptop is called Hank, because someone at the NaNoWriMo meetup suggested it...:smallredface:

:smallbiggrin: my laptop is called lily.

Dogmantra
2010-02-19, 08:56 PM
I don't name my possessions, but my avatar's name is Joe GoblinSNEAKATTACKBITCH after a much loved character in NWN.

I like the name Joe, you see. :smalltongue:

Fostire
2010-02-19, 09:06 PM
I don't name my possessions, but my avatar's name is Joe GoblinSNEAKATTACKBITCH after a much loved character in NWN.

I like the name Joe, you see. :smalltongue:

Well I had to give her a name, she says it feels to generic if I say "good job laptop computer", and that having a name makes her feel special (plus I think she's a bit jealous of my previous computer who also had a name)

Dogmantra
2010-02-19, 09:20 PM
"good job laptop computer"

This is... this is the best phrase I've heard all day (which admittedly has only lasted 2 and a half hours so far). Why would your laptop not like having that said to her?

Fostire
2010-02-19, 09:56 PM
This is... this is the best phrase I've heard all day (which admittedly has only lasted 2 and a half hours so far). Why would your laptop not like having that said to her?

She says it makes her feel like she's just another girl laptop computer to me and that I don't care for her.

I'm just trying to make the relationship work, and if giving her a name is what it takes, then so be it.

Dogmantra
2010-02-19, 09:59 PM
Frostire, I think you might be lusting for a girlfriend. Just a thought.

Fostire
2010-02-19, 10:08 PM
Frostire, I think you might be lusting for a girlfriend. Just a thought.

DON'T JUDGE ME! *runs away*

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-02-19, 10:13 PM
My name is Micah.

... Ok, you are the 2nd person I've ever known with the same name as me.

Edit: Just sayin'!

Serpentine
2010-02-20, 03:25 AM
I've heard of a Micah, I think.

I went to primary school with a boy called Jesse James for a little while. Sheet of a kid. Who wags school in grade 4?!

My car, when she was mine, was called Mildred, cuz her license plate started with MYL. Confused the new owner when I asked how "Mildred" is doing...

Felixaar
2010-02-20, 05:24 AM
My car, when she was mine, was called Mildred, cuz her license plate started with MYL. Confused the new owner when I asked how "Mildred" is doing...

Serp, I love you :smallbiggrin: People who name their cars are the best people.

billtodamax
2010-02-20, 05:36 AM
Bronson's a good last name. Full of character. Fun to say too.

Bronson.

Yeah.

As for first names... nothing really stands out at me as /good/ however, as for a bad name, well...

how would you pronounce le-a?

Leia? Le Ay?

It's... it's pronounced Ledasha. Somehow I think it's fitting that my spellchecker gives me ashamed as the first suggestion.

Dragonrider
2010-02-20, 12:22 PM
... Ok, you are the 2nd person I've ever known with the same name as me.

Weird. It's quite common in the part of the US where I live. I can think of three Micahs just off the top of my head.

Eldan
2010-02-20, 01:31 PM

Technically, that would also be because Lukas would be the greek form from which the english "Luke" is derived, so it would be closer to the actual name the evangelist had back then. Just saying.

skywalker
2010-02-21, 01:58 AM
It's... it's pronounced Ledasha. Somehow I think it's fitting that my spellchecker gives me ashamed as the first suggestion.

"The dash ain't silent!"

Yes, this actually happened. I was there.

To be fair, they're supposedly starting to put the @ symbol in boys' names in China, in an attempt to make them at least a bit more unique.

Technically, that would also be because Lukas would be the greek form from which the english "Luke" is derived, so it would be closer to the actual name the evangelist had back then. Just saying.

I learned something new about my name!

Pika...
2010-02-21, 07:03 AM
I've always disliked my first name, but I just can't think of one that would be better. Its a general problem with male names, they all suck more or less. I also suspect I would make my sister sad if I changed my first name, cause apparently she was the one who picked it for me. Or maybe she's just teasing me with that, I can't tell. So I'm stuck with my first name, it seems.

Probably a stupid thought, but why not ask her to have another go at it?

I am guessing she is more mature now due to age, so perhaps she would both understand your dilemma/feelings and be able to pick a "better" name for you. Who knows, maybe she would even enjoy doing it again.

Just give her a restriction or two concerning what went wrong/why you did not like the last time and you should be fine while keeping her happy.

I don't even know if I'll have kids yet.

But, if I chose to:

Girl: something traditional and English or after one of my grandmothers.
Boy: after the father or one of my grandfathers.

You are the first woman I have ever met who is actually OK with the idea of naming a child/son after their father. I wish there were more like you out there.

But then again, with my name even someone with your mindset probably would shoot that down. :/

I learned something new about my name!

Well then, based off my (terrible) Spanish I believe it means "crazy" or such in South America?

Fostire
2010-02-21, 11:31 AM
Well then, based off my (terrible) Spanish I believe it means "crazy" or such in South America?
Based on my (native) Spanish I believe that is not correct :smalltongue:
I think you're thinking of the word 'loco' which does indeed mean crazy.

Pika...
2010-02-21, 08:13 PM
Based on my (native) Spanish I believe that is not correct :smalltongue:
I think you're thinking of the word 'loco' which does indeed mean crazy.

OK. I could be very wrong.

Now I am remembering that this confusion might have been due to the character Pato Lukas, which is Daffy Duck's Spanish name.

Fostire
2010-02-21, 08:17 PM
OK. I could be very wrong.

Now I am remembering that this confusion might have been due to the character Pato Lukas, which is Daffy Duck's Spanish name.
Don't ever trust character name or movie title translations. Those aim to be marketable rather than accurate translations.

Pika...
2010-02-21, 08:30 PM
Don't ever trust character name or movie title translations. Those aim to be marketable rather than accurate translations.

Thanks for the tip.

Arti3
2010-02-23, 06:24 PM
My real name mans Strong Warrior of the Stone.
My username, well in Japanese the word "three" is "san" which is also the basic honorific. So arti3 becomes... artisan :)

wojonatior
2010-02-23, 09:45 PM
I have a first name of Jarek, the English annunciation is Derek except with a J. The traditional polish name is pronounced yarrek, or similiar. And my middle name is Nigel, which is british. And originally my first name was going to be Nigel, with my second being Oliver:smalleek:, up until I my mom was in labor. Actually my theme song is "Making plans for Nigel" By XTC. My last name is very polish also.

Anuan
2010-02-27, 01:34 AM
I found the closest version of my name in Chinese would be An1Yuan4 or An1Yuan2.

Respectively, that's Peaceful Wish or Peaceful Monkey. Whilst the second is fun, I think the first is more accurate...

golentan
2010-02-27, 01:35 AM
I found the closest version of my name in Chinese would be An1Yuan4 or An1Yuan2.

Respectively, that's Peaceful Wish or Peaceful Monkey. Whilst the second is fun, I think the first is more accurate...

Second seems pretty accurate to me, primate.

Anuan
2010-02-27, 03:08 AM
Not all of us can be superior non-primate beings, Golentan :smallannoyed::smallwink:

Monkeys are playful, I'd rather be left alone, in peace :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-02-27, 03:15 AM
Just don't try to piss on my feet, 'kay?

Felixcicles: Alas, 'twere my sister what named 'er.

golentan
2010-02-27, 03:25 AM
Not all of us can be superior non-primate beings, Golentan :smallannoyed::smallwink:

Monkeys are playful, I'd rather be left alone, in peace :smalltongue:

NEVER! EVERYONE SPANK THE MONK... wow that came out wrong...

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-27, 03:35 AM
As for first names... nothing really stands out at me as /good/ however, as for a bad name, well...

how would you pronounce le-a?

Leia? Le Ay?

It's... it's pronounced Ledasha. Somehow I think it's fitting that my spellchecker gives me ashamed as the first suggestion."The dash ain't silent!"

Yes, this actually happened. I was there.

To be fair, they're supposedly starting to put the @ symbol in boys' names in China, in an attempt to make them at least a bit more unique.

I learned something new about my name!I've heard this exact story an alarming number of times. I've even told it myself here on these boards, though as a removed witness because I heard it from a dear friend of mine who's a therapist and had this conversation with her client in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. She was also the one who met sisters named Oranjello and Lemonjello (Oh-RON-juh-lo and Leh-MON-juh-lo, respectively).

Pyrian
2010-02-27, 03:14 PM
Monkeys are playful, I'd rather be left alone, in peace :smalltongue:So you can whack people with your bokken. C'mon, we know you too well to be fooled by this kind of stuff. :smallamused:

Anuan
2010-02-27, 11:22 PM
Whacking people with my bokken is the alternative to being left in peace :smallwink: If you won't leave me and minimise my frustrations, you shall be beaten with a length of polypropylene :smalltongue:

Brainstomper
2010-03-07, 11:51 PM
In went to jr. high with Frosty Musik and, I kid you not, his little sister Sweet Sweet Musik. They lived on a local commune. They really hated thier parents. A lot. Really. Wouldn't you?

EndlessWrath
2010-03-08, 12:06 AM

Well, what would you call a dog?

Weeeeeelllllll.........

I'll tell you a secret. I have a dog named after a certain fantasy character from a certain famous piece of literature. 100pts to whoever can guess the name:
http://computershopper.com/shoptalk/gandalf.jpg
If you guessed Gandalf You are correct

He's a Schnauzer. So he has a look close to it. :smallcool:
-Wrath