PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) a better way to calculate saves and BAB for multi classing?

alisbin
2010-02-12, 10:26 AM
hey mates,
i've long been irritated by the save and BAB progression rates when their applied to multiclass characters, so last night i was making a char and i had an idea. its pretty simple, i'm just posting it for others who may want to use it as a houserule or if someone has a balance suggestion for it. i realize this does actually LOWER your high save(s) if your multiclassing, but it raises your low saves so you end up with a slightly more balanced character while still retaining the high low idea.

basic tenet: all class levels with the same type of bonus to BAB(low/med/high) or saves (low/high) stack to determine your total bonus, this overrides the stupid (IMHO) epic progression as well. low saves = total low save level/3, high saves = total high save level/2 +2. always round down, then add the two together.
example: wizard/cleric/mystic theurge 5/5/5
BAB: 10 (5 wiz, 5 MT) total levels of low BAB, 5 levels of med BAB (5 cleric), Result 8/3 BAB (6/1 with normal system)
Saves:15 total levels of high will, 5 total levels of high fort, 10 total levels of low fort, 15 total levels of low ref
Result: +9 will, +7 fort, +5 ref (+12, +6, +3 with normal system)

the calculation continues to work for epic levels, you just have to decide which epic prestige classes deserve high/med/low in what, which should be a fairly simple decision.

Grumman
2010-02-12, 10:29 AM
Or you could just use the Fractional B.A.B./Saves variant, or (my preference) Fractional Saves with the +2 bonus for Good saves only applying once.

alisbin
2010-02-12, 10:46 AM
i've never seen those rules (where can i find'em?) but purely from the names it sounds like they would be pretty much the same as what i've come up with.

Grumman
2010-02-12, 10:59 AM
i've never seen those rules (where can i find'em?) but purely from the names it sounds like they would be pretty much the same as what i've come up with.
They're in Unearthed Arcana. The only difference is that you round after you add them up, not before. So a Wizard 1 / Rogue 1 would have a B.A.B. of 1 (0.5 + 0.75 = 1.25->1), not 0 (0.5->0 + 0.75->0 = 0).