PDA

View Full Version : Con focused build

BenTheJester
2010-02-12, 02:48 PM
I am making a con focused build and I have a 3 levels hole I need to fill.

The build I'm aiming for is:
Badlands Dwarf(for free Endurance)
Monk 2/Something 3/Fist of the Forest 1/Deepwarden 2/Kensai 5
(I know a Warblade 5/FotF 1/Warblade 1/DW 2/Kensai 5 would be better, but I can't use ToB)
The monk will be using Overwhelming Attack fighting style for free Power Attack

That Something 3 preferably has Heal, Knowledge(Dung) and Survival as class skills, but can do with Ride(if it doesn't have Heal&Know&Surv, I'll have to take a level of Kensai before my 2 levels of Deepwarden to qualify) and needs to have full BAB.

I know Ranger could fit, but I'm trying to find something more worthwhile. Something who would give me good defensive abilities would be nice.

Optimystik
2010-02-12, 02:50 PM
Totemist is Con-based. They have Ride, Heal and Survival from your list.

Eloel
2010-02-12, 02:53 PM
You can always add in the Dragonborn template for breath weapon and +2 Con.

Just a random thought :)

Also, Dragonfire Adept benefits from high Con, when you don't have anything better to do, breath fire on masses :smallbiggrin:

BenTheJester
2010-02-12, 02:55 PM

Also, Dragonfire Adept benefits from high Con, when you don't have anything better to do, breath fire on masses :smallbiggrin:

No I can't, if I take Dragonborn, I'll lose my racial Bonus Feat

Dr.Epic
2010-02-12, 03:08 PM
You're going monk for con based build and not barbarian?!?!? They get rage, +4 con and it gets better with higher levels and prestige classes! Come on man! Dwarf monk! They can't even wear armor and that's the selling point of dwarves!

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-12, 04:42 PM
One option is to just go Dragonborn Mongrelfolk DFA (or Totemist) 20 and pump the crap out of your Breath Weapon's save DCs. Totemists have a few breath weapon soulmelds, and they have the Basilisk's Mask to Petrify enemies at will (and then an Adamantine Dagger to ruin their life).

Swooper
2010-02-12, 04:53 PM
Be sure to grab Steadfast Determination (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Steadfast_Determination) for your build.

For the class levels, I'll second either totemist or barbarian.

Rasman
2010-02-12, 04:54 PM

I also agree with this, Dragonfire Adept and Con Build go hand in hand, it gives you versitility AND if you have an extra feat to throw around, you can get Entangling Breath and have some BAD ASS battlefield control

magic9mushroom
2010-02-12, 04:55 PM
One awesome thing that runs off Con is Spellfire Wielder and the Spellfire Channeler PrC.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-12, 05:02 PM
One awesome thing that runs off Con is Spellfire Wielder and the Spellfire Channeler PrC.

It would be awesome, if it weren't a trap.

Darrin
2010-02-12, 05:18 PM
No I can't, if I take Dragonborn, I'll lose my racial Bonus Feat

Try the Arctic template from Dragon #306. +2 Con, -2 Cha, +0 LA.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-12, 05:18 PM
It would be awesome, if it weren't a trap.

Please explain?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-12, 05:34 PM
Please explain?

It's been a while since I read it, but the requirements involve spellcasting. It's more or less making you waste class levels to act like a Rod of Absorption, readied action and all. Rods of Absorption are all ready considered horrid in CO's eyes because of the restrictions on what spells can be absorbed (many of the enemies who have spellcasting have spells that can bypass those restrictions fairly easily).

There's also the problem of it not being practical action-wise. You have to waste your entire turn for an action that may never happen more than once in a single encounter, plus the actions you could be taking are usually going to be much more efficient.

After all, which would you prefer: Risking the enemy's spell avoiding the requirements for Spellfire or actively shutting down their ability to be a threat with actual spells/day? If it were an Immediate action to absorb spells, it would be worth something. If the restrictions on what could be absorbed were relaxed a bit, it would be decent. Both? If would be a viable and heartily recommended tactic for the right concepts.

The fact that it is in a 3.0 FR splat makes matters slightly worse, update be damned.

BenTheJester
2010-02-12, 06:42 PM
You're going monk for con based build and not barbarian?!?!? They get rage, +4 con and it gets better with higher levels and prestige classes! Come on man! Dwarf monk! They can't even wear armor and that's the selling point of dwarves!

Guys, have you read the OP?

I'm not asking for a con focused build. I know DFA is powerful, I love playing that class and all, but this is something totally different.

Why monk? Because I want Evasion, and because Monk provides 2 of the 3 feats required to take Fist of the Forest.

And while dwarves are cool and all in armor, my dwarf will be so badass he won't even need armor, due to FotF giving Con to AC while unarmored.

All I'm asking for is 3 levels of class which grant full BAB(totemist would have been great, but it's a 3/4 BAB class) and the 3 skills I mentionned(or at very least, Ride).

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-12, 06:45 PM
All I'm asking for is 3 levels of class which grant full BAB(totemist would have been great, but it's a 3/4 BAB class) and the 3 skills I mentionned(or at very least, Ride).

Duskblade for better saves and random minor spellcasting (and access to wands and such)? You really wouldn't even care about the spells/day there, just the access to utility Wands and Scrolls without UMD checks.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-12, 07:23 PM
Dwarf paragon 3. Full BAB, fort and will saves. Decent class skills.
And most importantly of all, +2 con. (You also gain better stonecunning, character level to craft checks with metal/stone, better save vs poison and magic)
Unearthed Arcana

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-02-12, 07:31 PM
There is also a prestige class that gives your CON to AC in place of DEX. Deep something? Stone something? It was dwarven, I know that.

BenTheJester
2010-02-12, 07:42 PM
There is also a prestige class that gives your CON to AC in place of DEX. Deep something? Stone something? It was dwarven, I know that.

You mean Deepwarden 2? Just like I mentionned in the OP?

Unfortunately, Dwarf Paragon can't work, unless I take a level of something before Deepwarden, which I'd rather not do

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-12, 07:43 PM

Deep Warden, and the OP has it all ready. Ninja'ed!

herrhauptmann
2010-02-12, 07:57 PM
You mean Deepwarden 2? Just like I mentionned in the OP?

Unfortunately, Dwarf Paragon can't work, unless I take a level of something before Deepwarden, which I'd rather not do

So are you starting this character from low levels, and working out your build? Or are you already level 13 at start?

Take a ranger ACF, different weapon styles are in dragon magazine.

erikun
2010-02-13, 12:29 AM
Isn't there a Dwarven Sorcerer substitution allowing you to use CON instead of CHA for spellcasting? Hmm, Sorcerer/Totemist/PrC Theurge with Spellfire Wielder. It almost sounds like it could be useful.

Back to the OP, I'm afraid there are very few few ways to become completely dependant on CON. There is Totemist (although I'm not familiar with the class). There are also some Tome of Battle maneuvers for substituting a Concentration check instead of Reflex/Fort/Will/Damage, so you might look into those.

Also remember that the Fist of the Forest, from what I remember, cannot use any magical items - so no Boots of Flying.

[EDIT]
X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732), for your convenience.

Thurbane
2010-02-13, 06:23 PM
Fistbeard Beardfist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116838)

Proven_Paradox
2010-02-13, 08:19 PM
Paladin has Heal and Ride as class skills. Three levels in that gets you immunity to fear and disease, as well as Cha to saves (though, being dwarven, that's probably not much good to you). Plus, d10 HD. For your extremely specialized purposes, that might serve. Knight could do you here too: It gets Ride as a class skill, and three levels gets you Bulwark of Defense. The Stonelord PrC (CWarrior) would be pretty easy for you to qualify for, has Knowledge (All) and Survival as class skills, and gets a few Constitution based spell-likes that could be nice if you're just filling in levels. Maybe dip a level in Ranger to get Track, then take the Forest Reeve PrC (CChamp) for two more levels; gets you fast movement and Woodland Stride.

herrhauptmann
2010-02-13, 08:33 PM
Paladin has Heal and Ride as class skills. Three levels in that gets you immunity to fear and disease, as well as Cha to saves (though, being dwarven, that's probably not much good to you). Plus, d10 HD. For your extremely specialized purposes, that might serve. Knight could do you here too: It gets Ride as a class skill, and three levels gets you Bulwark of Defense. The Stonelord PrC (CWarrior) would be pretty easy for you to qualify for, has Knowledge (All) and Survival as class skills, and gets a few Constitution based spell-likes that could be nice if you're just filling in levels. Maybe dip a level in Ranger to get Track, then take the Forest Reeve PrC (CChamp) for two more levels; gets you fast movement and Woodland Stride.

I think he's looking for something to take at levels 3-5, so he can start entering PrC's at level 6. So that rules out most PrCs.
Knight is probably a good idea though. As a badass warrior, now you have the ability to force the enemy bruisers to target you. Granted, the saves to resist the fight compulsion will be awfully low at later levels I think.

jpreem
2010-02-14, 05:55 AM
I got waylaid by this knowledge(Dung) mention in original post for quite a while. Thinking where the hell would he need knowledge skill relating to different manures? :D

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-14, 06:33 AM
I got waylaid by this knowledge(Dung) mention in original post for quite a while. Thinking where the hell would he need knowledge skill relating to different manures? :D

I believe it's Knowledge (Dungeoneering). Though I admit, it sounds like a character with a poo fetish.