PDA

View Full Version : Question on Eldritch Theurge

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-12, 06:11 PM
Does a Wizard 1/Warlock 5 with the feat Precocious apprentice quallify for Eldritch Theurge? I know that is not optimal but the class seems nice.

Also what would be a good specialization for the wizard side? Conjuration is right now the best option but maybe a transmuter If I do a glaivelock-esque build with Polymorph....

Optimystik
2010-02-12, 06:17 PM
Don't use Wizard, use Bard/Sublime Chord. That way you get Cha synergy, and both 9th level spells and Dark Invocations.

Having said that, your combination can actually enter the class at Wiz 1/Lock 4.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-12, 06:20 PM
Don't use Wizard, use Bard/Sublime Chord. That way you get Cha synergy, and both 9th level spells and Dark Invocations.

Having said that, your combination can actually enter the class at Wiz 1/Lock 4.

So something like bard 4 / Warlock 6/Sublime Chord 1/Eldritch Theurge 1?

magic9mushroom
2010-02-12, 06:32 PM

No, start taking levels of ET before you get to Sublime Chord, and just take a level of that once it becomes available.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-12, 06:34 PM
Ok bard 4/Warlock 3/Eldritch theurge 3/ Sublime Chord 1/Eldritch theurge x?

Optimystik
2010-02-12, 06:37 PM

Nope - just one level of bard. Thanks to Precocious Apprentice and Sanctum Spell, you can now cast 3rd level spells.

Bard 1/Warlock 8/ET 1/Sublime Chord 1/ET +9

Add your Sublime Chord level to your Warlock levels (you can pick any arcane class to determine your CL.) You are now a CL 19 Sorcerer and a CL 18 Warlock, with 2 9th-level spells and 2 Dark Invocations.

The catch is that you have no spells below 4th level (except the one 3rd-level spell you qualified for SC with, and your starting Bard spells :smalltongue:) but who needs those?

The upside (besides the 9ths and Darks) is that you'll be a Warlock for most of your career, so you won't feel the pain of multiclassing as much.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-12, 06:40 PM
I am not sure Sanctum spell would be allowed... but since the IIRC the game will be based on a city maybe I can PMthe DM to see if the city counts as a sanctum. (it is a PbP)

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-12, 06:45 PM
I am not sure Sanctum spell would be allowed... but since the IIRC the game will be based on a city maybe I can PMthe DM to see if the city counts as a sanctum. (it is a PbP)

I think an entire city may be too big an area for Sanctum Spell, but a favored tavern (or the stage for performers in said tavern )in the city should suffice.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-12, 06:48 PM
According to Crystalkeep Sanctum Spell doesn't do that, it gives +1 Caster level inside your Sanctum.

So something like Warlock 5/Bard 2/Eldritch Theurge 3/Sublime Chord 1/Eldritch Theurge +7/Sublime Chord +2.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-12, 06:50 PM
Magic9mushroom@ that build sounds more reasonable for a mid-level optimization game..... hmm I think I'll use it.

Edit: just how do you quallify for eldritch theurge with bard 2?

magic9mushroom
2010-02-12, 06:52 PM
Magic9mushroom@ that build sounds more reasonable for a mid-level optimization game..... hmm I think I'll use it.

You need Versatile Spellcaster, from Races of the Dragon, as well as a +5 Charisma modifier by level 7, it should be noted.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-12, 06:55 PM
You need Versatile Spellcaster, from Races of the Dragon, as well as a +5 Charisma modifier by level 7, it should be noted.

Hmmm starting with a 18 in cha and a race that grants a cha bonus.....

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-12, 07:05 PM
Hmmm starting with a 18 in cha and a race that grants a cha bonus.....

Lesser Aasimar. Never, ever go Spellscale.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-12, 07:13 PM
Isn't normal aasimar better if we factor in LA buy-off? (Alter self sheannigans?)

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-12, 07:14 PM
Isn't normal aasimar better if we factor in LA buy-off? (Alter self sheannigans?)

If LA buyoff is allowed, yes.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-12, 07:18 PM
Well now I just need to wait for the DM to answer If I can quallify for Eldritch Theurge with bard 2 and either precocious aprentice or versatile spellcaster and also If LA buy off is allowed.

Optimystik
2010-02-12, 10:58 PM
According to Crystalkeep Sanctum Spell doesn't do that, it gives +1 Caster level inside your Sanctum.

Unsurprisingly, Crystalkeep's abbreviation has resulted in inaccuracy.

SANCTUM SPELL [METAMAGIC]
Your spells are especially potent on home ground.

Prerequisite: Any metamagic feat.
Benefit: A sanctum spell has an effective spell level 1 higher than its normal level if cast in your sanctum (see below), but if not cast in the sanctum, the spell has an effective spell level 1 lower than normal. All effects dependent on spell level (including save DCs) are calculated according to the adjusted level.

Note: Spell level increases, not caster level. Apply it to your 2nd-level spell (from PA) and it becomes 3rd level. You'll just have to be in your Sanctum to take the Sublime Chord level using my build.

Have your DM work it into the campaign - some urchin is about to be sold into slavery or something, you save his life, his mother lets you crash in the basement - make it your sanctum. It should be even easier in a city campaign than, say, one where you're wandering the countryside.

So something like Warlock 5/Bard 2/Eldritch Theurge 3/Sublime Chord 1/Eldritch Theurge +7/Sublime Chord +2.

That won't get Dark Invocations - you need Warlock 16 for that, and that build only gets 15.