PDA

View Full Version : Simplified races [3.5]

Tao the Ninja
2010-02-12, 08:01 PM
Okay, c'mon. There is too much information for one character sheet for some races (elf, dwarf especially). So here are some more powerful, less complex race variants.

Human
+2 any stat
bonus feat
+1 skill point/level (4 at first)
FC: highest, any

Elf
+2 dex, +2 int
choose a school of magic. +1 caster level to arcane spells of this school
llvision
FC: wizard, ranger

Half-Elf
+2 dex, +2 cha
+1 skill point/level (4 at first)
llvision
FC: sorceror, any

Dwarf
+2 con,+2 str
+2 on skill checks involving stone
favored enemy (orcs, goblinoids, or giants) +2. stacks w/ ranger
dkvision 30
FC: fighter, paladin

Half-Orc
+2 str, +2 con
+4 intimidate
dkvision 30
FC: barbarian, any

Halfling
+2 dex, +2 wis
small
+2 thrown attack and damage
FC: rogue, ranger

Gnome
+2 con, +2 cha
+1 illusion caster level
favored enemy (kobolds, goblinoids, or giants)+2. stacks w/ ranger
llvision
FC: bard, wizard

Kallisti
2010-02-12, 08:11 PM
These look all right, although you probably want to let Elves keep immunity to sleep--since it's a part of their fluff that they trance, not sleep--and dwarves are MUCH better off with Stonecunning than the favored enemy bonus. It makes a lot more sense, since most dwarves would live out much of their lives underground, by the standard fluff at least.

Also, this belongs in the Homebrew section.

Or maybe not, since these are basically the 4e races. And by basically, I mean the human was copypasted from the 4e phpb.

Tao the Ninja
2010-02-12, 08:14 PM
These look all right, although you probably want to let Elves keep immunity to sleep--since it's a part of their fluff that they trance, not sleep--and dwarves are MUCH better off with Stonecunning than the favored enemy bonus. It makes a lot more sense, since most dwarves would live out much of their lives underground, by the standard fluff at least.

Also, this belongs in the Homebrew section.

Or maybe not, since these are basically the 4e races. And by basically, I mean the human was copypasted from the 4e phpb.

Oops. How do I move it?

Kallisti
2010-02-12, 08:17 PM
You ask a mod to move it for you. It's not really a big deal, though. Chances are it's not worth pestering poor overworked Roland for.

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-13, 02:50 AM
You give the Elf, Halfling, and Gnome some overly specific bonuses, in my opinion. Elves and gnomes need to be not just spellcasters but a particular kind of spellcaster to make use of one of their bonuses. Using thrown weapons is a fairly particular fighting style.

Some things -- Con, Dex, a bonus feat -- are useful for almost any build. It's probably best to give each race exactly one generically useful thing.

I'd consider simply giving each race a straight +2 Int or not, and not doing the whole weird bonus skill points thingy. Perhaps it would be appropriate to give humans +2 Int and +2 Str instead of +1 skill point/level and +2 Any Stat. (Have you seen how big humans are next to elves and dwarves?)

Think about what you want each race to be able to do. For example, a race with neither low-light vision nor darkvision is handicapped at scouting, which I always felt made halflings less than satisfying Rogues. You've given dwarves and half-orcs very similar stats, with both the same ability score bonuses and darkvision on each. Are you cool with them being pretty much mechanically redundant with each other? For that matter, are you cool with halflings being the designated Druid and non-beatstick Cleric race?

The simplest way to deal with favored classes is to chuck out multiclassing XP penalties entirely, of course.

bosssmiley
2010-02-13, 09:52 AM
Hmmm. I think I've seen similar before.

Races
Human: No ability modifiers or special traits. They count any class as favored.
Elf: Abilities +2 Dex, –2 Con. They have low-light vision, a +2 bonus to Search checks, and a +2 bonus to Will saves. Their favored class is Wizard.
Dwarf: Abilities +2 Con, –2 Cha. They have darkvision, 20 foot base movement, and a +2 bonus to Fort and Will saves. Their favored class is Fighter; they cannot be Wizards.
Halfling: Abilities +2 Dex, –2 Str. They are Small, with 20 foot base movement, and a +1 bonus to all saves. Their favored class is Rogue; they cannot be Wizards.

source: Dan's diminutive d20 (http://www.superdan.net/dimd20/)

Mind how you go with this simplification lark. Before you know it you'll be falling back in love with B/X D&D and decrying WOTC versions of D&D as insanely complex snark hunts. :smallwink:

@v: Just giving them fair warning. Not everyone is comfortable with their own transformation into a wild-eyed, root-eating, otter-kicking hermit of old school.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-13, 10:00 AM
Mind how you go with this simplification lark. Before you know it you'll be falling back in love with B/X D&D and decrying WOTC versions of D&D as insanely complex snark hunts. :smallwink:

You say that as if it were a bad thing.