PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing the Gnome Artificer (3.5)

Tanuki Tales
2010-02-12, 09:36 PM
If one was to take this wacky PrC and optimize it, how would you go about it?

Overshee
2010-02-12, 09:39 PM
If one was to take this wacky PrC and optimize it, how would you go about it?

1) Artificer is a class, not a prestige class
2) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869786/Optimized_Artificer?pg=1

Tanuki Tales
2010-02-12, 09:40 PM
1) Artificer is a class, not a prestige class
2) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869786/Optimized_Artificer?pg=1

Page 23 of Magic of Faerun. :smallwink:

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-12, 09:51 PM
Play a small race. they can carry more.

Ask the DM to add spells to the device list.

Ask if metamagic can be built in. Maybe for extra charges.

Beg for a price reduction

Also, Planar Handbook has a feat that lets you carry twice as much stuff.

Overshee
2010-02-12, 10:10 PM
Page 23 of Magic of Faerun. :smallwink:

I don't have any Faerun books... What are you referring to?

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-12, 10:24 PM
A feat in the DMG II, Apprentice (Crafter), lets you reduce the base price of anything you craft by 10%. Combined with Extraordinary Artisan and Legendary Artisan, this lets you create magic items at 65/200 the base price in GP, and 65/2500 the base price in XP. Basically lets you get 3 times your WBL if you use it all on magical items.

Also, make sure you have yourself a portable hole and a dedicated wright or three to put in it, so you can adventure while they make you magic items.

Also, the Dual Wand Wielder feat lets you fire two wands in one round; alas, it forces you to take Two Weapon Fighting. Oh well. Grab some wands of metamagicked-up-the-arse orb spells, and you can generally one-shot just about anything you like.

I'd also suggest you try maybe being a warforged (the ability to use infusions on yourself, the warforged artificer ACFs and warforged components are sexy), but if you want a gnome that's okay, too.

Tanuki Tales
2010-02-12, 10:30 PM
I don't have any Faerun books... What are you referring to?

It's a PrC that allows you to make purely "tech" devices that replicate the effects of magic without actually being magic itself...I think.

So you can make a Flamethrower and grenades.

@Lycan: You do know I meant the PrC from Magic of Faerun book and not just a Gnome who is an artificer yes?

Now, Artificer is an obvious entry into the class, but it does require actual spellcasting.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-12, 10:36 PM
It's a PrC that allows you to make purely "tech" devices that replicate the effects of magic without actually being magic itself...I think.

So you can make a Flamethrower and grenades.

@Lycan: You do know I meant the PrC from Magic of Faerun book and not just a Gnome who is an artificer yes?

Now, Artificer is an obvious entry into the class, but it does require actual spellcasting.Well, if you're creating stuff, Apprentice (Crafter) still comes in handy.

Though since I don't know anything about the PrC, I can't really help. Sorry.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-12, 10:36 PM
A feat in the DMG II, Apprentice (Crafter), lets you reduce the base price of anything you craft by 10%. Combined with Extraordinary Artisan and Legendary Artisan, this lets you create magic items at 65/200 the base price in GP, and 65/2500 the base price in XP. Basically lets you get 3 times your WBL if you use it all on magical items.

Also, make sure you have yourself a portable hole and a dedicated wright or three to put in it, so you can adventure while they make you magic items.

Also, the Dual Wand Wielder feat lets you fire two wands in one round; alas, it forces you to take Two Weapon Fighting. Oh well. Grab some wands of metamagicked-up-the-arse orb spells, and you can generally one-shot just about anything you like.

I'd also suggest you try maybe being a warforged (the ability to use infusions on yourself, the warforged artificer ACFs and warforged components are sexy), but if you want a gnome that's okay, too.

Wrong Artificer. But the first feat you mentioned may be of use.

Tanuki Tales
2010-02-12, 10:39 PM
Ask the DM to add spells to the device list.

Which spells do you think should be added?

Edit: And if I'm reading right, can't they add new "device powers" to their available list?

Dimers
2010-02-12, 11:16 PM
Which spells do you think should be added?

Edit: And if I'm reading right, can't they add new "device powers" to their available list?

There's nothing listed for coming up with ideas for device powers that aren't on the list on page 25. The text is talking about learning ones that you don't know but are on the list. So it's alllll up to the DM (as usual).

I like the idea behind the class and have spent a bit of time thinking about what kinds of powers I'd like to see available, but because it'd be so dependent on the campaign and DM, I didn't bother making a list. Suffice to say, about a third of every level of sorc/wiz spell would make sense as a device, and most of those would be pretty useful in some way.

Ravens_cry
2010-07-18, 08:52 PM
Ironically, in the heat of a thread about necromancy, I may be committing my first act of thread necromancy.
However, I love this class.
But I must ask, what is a good base class to lead in with?

9mm
2010-07-18, 09:55 PM
someone link this op to Bree's scrollcase!