PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Subforum Suggestion

afroakuma
2010-02-12, 10:12 PM
I've been noticing a trend in the Homebrew board recently, where long-established, massive project threads duel with (and often stomp down) new threads bearing fledgling ideas. Given the general popularity and activity of these threads, it seems fairly clear that they form an engine that will push most new homebrew threads off the first page and prevent them from ever garnering attention.

Meanwhile, Homebrew has a subforum dedicated to Tears of Blood, which site news suggests was fated for the axe nearly a year ago. There has been no new post to this subforum in ten months. For all intents, it is dead.

I don't know how viable this would be, but I'm wondering if it might be practical to remove the inert subforum and replace it with one dedicated to "large project" threads generally, which topics could migrate to upon author request or admin judgment after reaching a certain scale. It would allow newer users and newer projects a chance for their voice to be heard, and also consolidate the biggest homebrew projects into one area for easy location and reference.

Gamerlord
2010-02-13, 07:24 AM
The question is, what constitutes a "Large project"? Stuff like Bhu's cat burglar? A campaign setting?

Solaris
2010-02-13, 08:41 AM
The question is, what constitutes a "Large project"? Stuff like Bhu's cat burglar? A campaign setting?

A continued period of activity greater than, say, three-four months and exceeding a length of ten pages.

Siosilvar
2010-02-13, 12:43 PM

Some examples of what I'd consider a "large project":

Pretty much anything by Zeta Kai
Entirely new game systems (d20r, Serpents & Sewers)
Reworking Core Spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141196)
Age of Warriors (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134088)
Campaign Settings

Erts
2010-02-13, 01:28 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

lesser_minion
2010-02-13, 02:53 PM
I think this is a pretty good idea.

As for the dividing up large and small projects question, I don't think it's a problem.

Sanguine
2010-02-13, 03:12 PM
I agree this seems like a good idea.

Elfin
2010-02-13, 04:26 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-13, 05:16 PM
I agree that it's worth considering. But it's highly unlikely to happen before we close the ToB and Erf subforums for good and replenish our mod core. And even then, the trend it toward reducing subfora, not creating them.