PDA

View Full Version : Jirix is like Roy?

Ellen
2010-02-12, 11:02 PM
A little more exposure to Jirix may completely change my mind but, right now, here are some things about him that remind me of Roy --

1) Like Roy, Jirix seems to be fairly intelligent. His three point thanks to Redcloak's opening remarks (rather than a general thanks or something more polished but less precise) suggests he was both paying attention (not focused solely on what he was going to say) and was comfortable enough following Redcloak's speech in and tracking detailed elements to respond in kind (OK, it's not that strong, but that was my first impression).

But he treats his intelligence casually. Again, his three point thanks suggests he takes it for granted everyone else has been tracking things as well as he has (it may have made a bigger impression on me because I first read it while pretty tired and my brain wasn't coping as well as his).

This is a bit like Roy who, although very intelligent, tends to be casual about it. He brings it up when people talk about stupid fighters and he also brings it up when he first meets V and realizes the only way to get V's respect is by making it clear he can function on V's level.

2) However, he has a "just folks" attitude that, again, is like Roy. He makes a joke that emphasizes this in his opening (also downplaying his "return from the dead" and giving the praise to Redcloak at the same time -- this from a guy who said he wasn't good at public speaking).

3) I'd say that Roy is also the kind of guy who would move the conversation to the barbeque -- the casual social gathering where everyone mixes as equals -- rather than his rise to power.

4) And he's been brought back from the dead recently.

Of course, if the barbeque is made up of political prisoners, my opinion is likely to change.

Optimystik
2010-02-12, 11:06 PM
Of course, if the barbeque is made up of political prisoners, my opinion is likely to change.

You know that Jirix is already an ass, right? What with the O-Chul betting and all that. No need to wait for barbecues.

lio45
2010-02-12, 11:12 PM
Yep... Roy is Good and Jirix is Evil, that's one pretty major difference right there. Some good points about the similarities, though.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-13, 12:34 AM
Yep... Roy is Good and Jirix is Evil, that's one pretty major difference right there. Some good points about the similarities, though.

Also fighter/cleric, human/hobgoblin, one fought for Azure City/one fought against Azure City.

ClockShock
2010-02-13, 05:38 AM
I don't see it. If your opinion on this could change simply by finding out what kind of meat they're serving at the BBQ, then there probably isn't too much to go on in the first place.

Also, the best example of Jirix's intelligence is here:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0543.html
He listens to Xykon instead of Redcloak. Smart kid.

Ancalagon
2010-02-13, 06:05 AM
A little more exposure to Jirix may completely change my mind but, right now, here are some things about him that remind me of Roy --

1) Like Roy, Jirix seems to be fairly intelligent.

Again a case of "He was not shown to be totally stupid, so he must be smart!!1"

licoot
2010-02-13, 06:06 AM
They aren't similar on the outside (one's a hobgoblin ones a human, ones evil ones good, etc.) But they seem to go about doing their aims in similar ways.

TriForce
2010-02-13, 07:36 AM
I don't see it. If your opinion on this could change simply by finding out what kind of meat they're serving at the BBQ, then there probably isn't too much to go on in the first place.

id say this said everything this thread needed and more.

i can also say "hey belkar is like roy" they both walk on 2 legs, both use pointy sharp stuff as a weapon, both consist of flesh and bones, both breathe air.... you know, they could be brothers! i can go on and on listing totally random similarities

paddyfool
2010-02-13, 08:31 AM
The only thing that I'd say this exchange seemed to point out about Jirix is that he seems to have a higher charisma score than Redcloak.

But yeah, having three good mental stats, if he does, would be something he'd share with Roy. It wouldn't be enough to really make him that similar, though.

Amarsir
2010-02-13, 10:00 AM
An interesting observation.

Might I suggest that the similarity is a result of them both being written to be good leaders? They are humble and down to earth, taking responsibility but deflecting glory. These are qualities you could find in Hinjo as well.

Kish
2010-02-13, 11:27 AM
I find this argument problematic. Wouldn't your opinion of Hinjo (or anyone you don't already consider to be a monster in the moral sense) change if you found out he was serving political prisoners at a barbecue?

(Also: Roy humble and deflecting glory? This must be a different webcomic than I've been reading.)

ClockShock
2010-02-13, 11:54 AM
I find this argument problematic. Wouldn't your opinion of Hinjo (or anyone you don't already consider to be a monster in the moral sense) change if you found out he was serving political prisoners at a barbecue?

(Also: Roy humble and deflecting glory? This must be a different webcomic than I've been reading.)

They would change of course. But if there was enough similarity between the two characters, the fact that one treats slaves as a foodstuff, and the other as a workforce*, wouldn't stop me considering the two similar. Not the same, but similar.

*I use these as they seem to be the choices Jirix has at the moment, he's either all for slaves, or all for slaves dipped in BBQ sauce.

Ancalagon
2010-02-13, 11:58 AM
They are humble and down to earth, taking responsibility but deflecting glory. These are qualities you could find in Hinjo as well.

Good joke. King of Nowhere, anyone? ;)

And humble? Even the literal lawful good forces of the cosmos told him - taking the form of a Deva - they'd like him to tone down his snarky comments and attitude. :)

And Jirix is also NOT humble. If he was, he would not have accepted Redcloaks call to become the "next leader". Redcloak surely is a "good leader" (as in successfull, he even cares about his people these days) but he surely is far from humble.

Asta Kask
2010-02-13, 12:04 PM
Thing is, we don't have that much to base an assessment of Jirix's personality on. How many lines has he had - a dozen? Two? Too little to say much about him.

Ellen
2010-02-13, 12:45 PM
"Humble" can be a relative term. Placed in a similar position to Redcloak, Roy is unlikely to get so invested in his plan to make the world a better place that he would stop listening to the advice of others. In fact, he generally does listen to advice and is willing to take good advice, even when he doesn't think much of the source.

Of course, this goes both ways. He also treats high ranking Celestial beings as people he can make snarky remarks to. But, compare him to Eugene, who will deliberately not pass on a warning from higher up because if conflicts with how he thinks things should be done.

Eugene seems to always believe he is 100% right at any given moment, even if the position he currently has completely contradicts the one he used to have, so he's willing to take a blood oath against all advice but, once he's changed his mind about it, assumes he can forget about it without consequences (until the consequences are staring him right in the face).

At the other extreme, we have Redcloak, who (so far) won't admit the Plan may be a bad idea -- or, even, that his way of carrying it out, by teaming up with Xykon, may be costing more than it's worth. He's paid a high price so, rather than admit he was wrong to do so, he'll just continue paying more.

Although this would make him a great guy to play poker with when he's betting on a bad hand. He'll throw everything he has into the pot rather than admit he made a mistake at the beginning.

Roy, so far, has been between these extremes.

Whew, sorry I take so long to say simple things like that. I sometimes think I'm related to V.

Right now, Jirix is giving me a similar vibe. The evidence is a bit weak (based on one scene of public speaking), but the Giant may mean to make him into a character who can actually help the Goblin races and get them out of the all-or-nothing disaster Redcloak seems to be pushing them into. Jirix may be a character who would negotiate with someone like Roy rather than just see him as a human adventurer who should be killed on sight.

I can hope, can't I?