PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Bloodlines and Gestalt Question

Drako_Beoulve
2010-02-13, 01:24 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm barely new to D&D 3.5, and I need your help to clarify this:

Since Bloodlines Mechanics says that the level of the bloodline stacks
with all class of the PC for purposes of calculating abilities and caster level based on class level progression, say, eldritch blast and sneak attack, given this gestalt build:

Warlock 10/ binder 1/ Hellfire Warlock 3 / Sorcerer 6 // Rogue 10 / Any Major Bloodline 10

We will end up with:
Eldritch Blast +12d6 ( Warlock's CL = 11 ) OR Eldritch Blast +10d6 ( Warlock's CL = 9 )
Hellfire Blast +26d6 (HFW's CL=6)
Sorcerer's CL=8, Spells Lv 3
Sneack Attack +10d6

I'm Correct or totally nuts?

(I dunno if this has been discussed before, as I say, I'm a noob :smallbiggrin: )

Overshee
2010-02-13, 01:28 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm barely new to D&D 3.5, and I need your help to clarify this:

Since Bloodlines Mechanics says that the level of the bloodline stacks
with all class of the PC for purposes of calculating abilities and caster level based on class level progression, say, eldritch blast and sneak attack, given this gestalt build:

Warlock 10/ binder 1/ Hellfire Warlock 3 / Sorcerer 6 // Rogue 10 / Any Major Bloodline 10

We will end up with:
Eldritch Blast +12d6 ( Warlock's CL = 11 ) OR Eldritch Blast +10d6 ( Warlock's CL = 9 )
Hellfire Blast +26d6 (HFW's CL=6)
Sorcerer's CL=8, Spells Lv 3
Sneack Attack +10d6

I'm Correct or totally nuts?

(I dunno if this has been discussed before, as I say, I'm a noob :smallbiggrin: )

I'm no expert but I think I see a few things wrong

1) Gestalt doesn't give you 2 classes, it gives you "the best of both worlds," a single class with combined features of both classes
1a) this means that a bloodline level takes place on "both sides" of the gestalt, you cant do a level of class/bloodline
2)You have to take a level in major bloodline before level 3, and you can only take 3 of them in any one bloodline total.

Zincorium
2010-02-14, 02:00 AM
Gestalt is not a complete set of rules.

You have to ask your DM about this- there is literally no guideline in any book wotc has ever published that relates to this. This makes gestalt characters problematic for theoretical optimization- if there is no rule, it doesn't count.

In terms of practical optimization, this is something you don't ever want to pull- if you approved a request from someone, and then had it proven that you made a terrible decision by allowing it, would you be pissed off? Most DMs will be.

Also, obligatory:

A wizard 17 will kill you dead.